Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4/3: Final Laps

• Senior Minion

Re: 4/3: Final Laps

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    While some discriminating ride connoisseurs (which many of us around here are) will find fault with RSR, or view it as lackluster, I'd bet a large sum of money that it will be a huge hit and continue to be very popular for a long time. It has to be a much better attraction than FNSV, and that still regularly has significant wait times.
    One would hope RSR is a much better attraction than FNSV, it reportedly cost at least five times as much. (And wait times for FNSV have more to do with the low capacity of the submarines than with the FNSV ride itself. You don't have to be a "discriminating ride connoisseur" to feel that a rehash of a kid cartoon on underwater video screens is boring.)

The questions remain, though, of Disney's habit of hurting its own products with over-hype -- and whether RSR, much less Luigi's Flying Tires, will turn out to have been (like FNSV) dialed down for the kid demographic that is the Cars core audience.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    Why? In videos of the comparable, old flying saucers ride, they had beach balls bouncing around on the ride surface, and riders seemed to enjoy knocking them around.
    That was staged for the films. As someone who rode the flying saucers many, many times from the year they opened until the year they closed, I can tell you I never saw beach balls.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-03-2012 at 11:38 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Cast Members from Disneyland have walked through the Radiator Springs Racers show building this winter. The indoor show sets are mostly plywood flats in blacklight; it's a really basic dark ride in there but in a bigger than normal building because the ride vehicles are larger than the typical 4 seat carts of Snow White or Pinnochio or Roger Rabbitt.

If the Cadillac Range is now off-limits to say, I do hope they keep the Lincoln Continental Breakfast pun in the loading area. It's little stuff like that which makes the Cars world so clever.

Even Bob Iger approves of the Lincoln Continental Breakfast!

Name:  Lincoln Continental.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  170.8 KB

I'm at work on my iPad and did a quick n' dirty search, but there's other pictures out there of the Lincoln Continental references in the Racers show building.
    Last edited by Westsider; 04-03-2012 at 11:42 AM.

I'm not setting my expecatations too high - Cars is the worst of all Pixar films IMO and while the land will look beautiful at night and boys will no doubt love it, I don't see record breaking numbers once the initial curiosity is satiated. The beach balls will be gone in a couple of months - take pictures now to record history, heh.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• A Weather Eye Open

Height change for Matterhorn does seem necessary since the children will no longer be sitting in their parent's laps and there are some weird bumps on that old track that can launch you right into the air. But it is a sad change because so many little ones previously enjoyed the ride. Now all they have left for that height is Gadgets Go Coaster.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Cast Members from Disneyland have walked through the Radiator Springs Racers show building this winter. The indoor show sets are mostly plywood flats in blacklight; it's a really basic dark ride in there but in a bigger than normal building because the ride vehicles are larger than the typical 4 seat carts of Snow White or Pinnochio or Roger Rabbitt.
    I really don't understand how you can say this at all.

The only thing 'flat' in there is the ground and the signs and fences. From the ground foilage... the trees... the guard rails... the sculpted rock along the path.. the AAs.. the character figures... the buildings themselves. I don't see how anyone calls this 'plywood flats' at all. There is nothing 'flat' about almost all of it. Maybe you were put off by the sky backdrops and silhouettes or something??
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Well it shows they continue to experiment.. and there must be a reason to do so.

A little bit of fun for people working on the ride? There's a novelty to basically having a huge air hockey table at your disposal. I'd take every opportunity to experiment with it, too.

Great article and so excited for Buena Vista Street and Carsland!

• Banned User

Plywood Flats

This is a new land to contrast with Condor Flats.

I love it!!!

•   
    • Minion

What a great article. I can't wait to see it all!!!! I am actually looking forward to riding the Matterhorn again. Also BVS really intrigues me.

• Dave

Blog Entries

Loved the article and look forward to seeing it in person, but I have one request Disny slow down on the Pixar stuff

---------- Post added 04-03-2012 at 04:55 PM ----------

I will miss the old bob sled too. I also heard they plan on updating thunder mountain too. I hope it gets the sane TLC the matterhorn got. Any one know what they have planned for it?
    Dave

I will ride RSR, Luigi's only if the line is short and Mater's not at all. I don't ride any of the rides in Flick's Fun Fair because they are definitely not for adults and Mater's seems to fall into that category, too.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Insomniac

As excited as I have been for Cars Land for the past few years, I'm starting realize that I may have overhyped the attractions themselves. BVS and all the entertainment offerings, except for Mad T Party (ick is all I can say so far!), look absolutely amazing! I will be very upset if Mickey is added to the news boys show! Leave characters out of something for crying out loud! Just because you have an extra talking Mickey head doesn't mean you need to use it! Send it over to Disneyland! Use it for meet and greets! Do something that doesn't involve Disney adding more ridiculous unnecessary character tie ins! Next thing Disney's going to add a goofy singing character to dapper dans... Ridiculous!

I really hope someone finally realizes how big of a flop Cars Land will be if they don't add some fun to LFT! Beach balls are not going to make it fun! Faster movement will! If they had addmitted that these tires will not work for the system earlier they may have had time to change to smaller more nimble tires. Maybe add some paddles to throw the tires across the pad like a giant pinball machine. Maybe even add new fans to help the tires spin more easily. It's too late now and the apparent best idea they have for enhancing the fun of the ride is to add beach balls... Let's just say I'm a little disappointed if that's the best they can do.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• I'm wishing

I'm really sad to hear about the 7" height requirement difference on Matterhorn. Luckily, for me, most of my nieces and nephews are past the new height requirement, but it's one of those rides that so many little ones seem to love way before they can do other things, and it's nice to be able to hold them securely (which probably adds to the fact that the kids love it as well).

That said, I have one nephew who is going to have a little lapse of time before he makes the new requirement and I am going to have some explaining to do...the Matterhorn is his favorite ride!!! When I knew it was going into refurb for 6 months, I let him ask for another ride several times, we did 4 rides in a row!!! I don't know how I will break the news.

I'm sad for the new little ones who won't get to have this neat experience as their first roller coaster.

• Banned User

Thank you for the article Al!

The concept art for Christmas in Radiator Springs looks fantastic. I for one think that Carsland will be a monster hit, much bigger than what TDA anticipates. Radiator Springs looks great. I liked the Cars movie, and the land looks even better than what is in the film, it is a fantastical place that I would like to just stroll down and eat the food there. I think Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and RSR will be super big hits, the line for the LFT might get a little long, but it looks good too. I don't see how this land can flop. The rides are very good to great, plus the Carsland theme ties it all together and evokes Route 66 nostalgia.

Regarding Little Mermaid . . . I still can't believe DCA thinks it is a raving success. The line is 5-10 minutes, often a walk on, just like Pooh. Haunted Mansion has this 'new' miracle ride system called the omnimover and yet often has longer lines, a devoted fan following (Doombuggies.com), and real re-rideability. Mermaid doesn't gel, and some parts of it look cheap, I think that is why Lasetter is making the changes. If the ride was uber-popular why would TDA pour more money into it, plus 'fix' Dole-Whip Ariel??! I think they want the ride looking its best when the media/guests descends on DCA during the Carsland premiere. Carsland will be "closed" during some hours of the day, folks can wander over LM or TSM . . . not much else happening besides the off-the-shelf rides.

As added proof that LM in DCA isn't necessarily big artistic hit, magic kingdom had castmembers explain to guests how their LM ride was going to be better and more detailed than the one in DCA.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Thank you for the article Al!

The concept art for Christmas in Radiator Springs looks fantastic. I for one think that Carsland will be a monster hit, much bigger than what TDA anticipates. Radiator Springs looks great. I liked the Cars movie, and the land looks even better than what is in the film, it is a fantastical place that I would like to just stroll down and eat the food there. I think Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and RSR will be super big hits, the line for the LFT might get a little long, but it looks good too. I don't see how this land can flop. The rides are very good to great, plus the Carsland theme ties it all together and evokes Route 66 nostalgia.

Regarding Little Mermaid . . . I still can't believe DCA thinks it is a raving success. The line is 5-10 minutes, often a walk on, just like Pooh. Haunted Mansion has this 'new' miracle ride system called the omnimover and yet often has longer lines, a devoted fan following (Doombuggies.com), and real re-rideability. Mermaid doesn't gel, and some parts of it look cheap, I think that is why Lasetter is making the changes. If the ride was uber-popular why would TDA pour more money into it, plus 'fix' Dole-Whip Ariel??! I think they want the ride looking its best when the media/guests descends on DCA during the Carsland premiere. Carsland will be "closed" during some hours of the day, folks can wander over LM or TSM . . . not much else happening besides the off-the-shelf rides.

As added proof that LM in DCA isn't necessarily big artistic hit, magic kingdom had castmembers explain to guests how their LM ride was going to be better and more detailed than the one in DCA.

1. The omni mover is a very, very high capacity ride system.

2. Little Mermaid is not in Disneyland park, so it doesn't get any where close to the same ridership that Mansion gets. If Little Mermaide were in Disneyland park the waits would be similar to those of Mansion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast