Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4/3: Final Laps

• Blew By You

Re: 4/3: Final Laps

I waited almost two years to ride Nemo. I'm hoping to get into Carsland sooner than that. I'm especially waiting for Christmas which will be especially busy too.

• Insomniac

Haunted mansion also has a preshow (aka elevators) which extend the line outside and lead to longer wait times. The little mermaid lets you go straight onto the ride which causes the line to never stop. On haunted mansion you stop to wait for the current load of people to move onto the elevator. You then stop to wait for the people in the room to move into the elevator. It leads to slightly longer wait times than you would if you went directly on like TLM.

I thought that it was confirmed (by pictures taken of the sleds) that the Matterhorn would have locking seat belts not lap bars? If they are indeed using lap bars, wouldn't they not need to increase the height requirement if they used locking seat belts? Just seems silly to me.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Regarding Little Mermaid . . . I still can't believe DCA thinks it is a raving success. The line is 5-10 minutes, often a walk on, just like Pooh. Haunted Mansion has this 'new' miracle ride system called the omnimover and yet often has longer lines, a devoted fan following (Doombuggies.com), and real re-rideability. Mermaid doesn't gel, and some parts of it look cheap, I think that is why Lasetter is making the changes. If the ride was uber-popular why would TDA pour more money into it, plus 'fix' Dole-Whip Ariel??! I think they want the ride looking its best when the media/guests descends on DCA during the Carsland premiere. Carsland will be "closed" during some hours of the day, folks can wander over LM or TSM . . . not much else happening besides the off-the-shelf rides.

As added proof that LM in DCA isn't necessarily big artistic hit, magic kingdom had castmembers explain to guests how their LM ride was going to be better and more detailed than the one in DCA.
    1. Pooh is lucky to break 900 riders per hour, that's all the ride system was designed to handle. Little Mermaid can break 2,000 an hour without breathing hard. Little Mermaid does TWICE the number of daily riders as Toy Story Midway Mania, due to its huge ride capacity. Like it or not, Little Mermaid is a hit.

2. The guy who stood in front of the mural of the New Fantasyland talking out of his behind about how much better WDW's Mermaid will be was not approved by management. He was a "Coordinator", basically a CM with a year or so of seniority who gets to send people to breaks and lunches. In Disneyland they are called Leads and have a bit more authority, in WDW they are called Coordinators and have a bit less authority than Leads. This particular Coordinator appears to have a bit of Theme Park Envy, which is never attractive.

This Coordinator was basically making stuff up and just trying to impress people when he should have been sending the hostess at Dumbo to her lunch break; when his photo showed up on the Internet blabbing unauthorized and inaccurate info to Guests as if he was an approved spokesman he was disciplined for it. That's why you never saw him again, nor was anyone else ever seen giving speeches in front of the wall mural to tourists parking their strollers.

The Little Mermaid ride at WDW is an exact duplicate of the DCA version, except for the queue and building facade. True story.

• Iron-Clad Allie

The grand re-opening ceremony will make DCA as unique as Disneyland, in it's own way. I'll even go as far as to say that the renewed park will heighten the appeal of Californis on the national front as well as internationally.

In addition to all the new rides and attractions, II look forward to the upcoming entertainment and food venues as well. I can't believe that Disney is already planning for a Holliday overlay/version of Cars Land! Very nice write-up and pictorial, Al.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    [/B]

1. The omni mover is a very, very high capacity ride system.

2. Little Mermaid is not in Disneyland park, so it doesn't get any where close to the same ridership that Mansion gets. If Little Mermaide were in Disneyland park the waits would be similar to those of Mansion.
    Here’s some ride capacities:

Haunted Mansion: Max Guest capacity of 2,618, typically 2,000 to 2,400 per hour.

Pirates : Max Guest capacity 3,400 per hour.

Autopia: 2,800 guests per hour.

Small World: 2,500 guests per hour

Little Mermaid: Around 2,000 per hour

Indiana Jones: 1,800 guests per hour

As you can see, guest capacity alone does not dictator how long an attraction’s line will be. Pirates is a guest eater on steroids when compared to Mermaid, yet it often has long lines. Omnimover is NOT the highest of the high in terms of ride capacity, boat rides and Autopia have higher ride capacities.

Small World’s guest capacity is around 2,500 guests per hour. Yet is also has long lines. Indiana Jones is not an omnimover and yet pulls in about 1,800 per hour, comparable with Mermaid which I suspect is not going at full capacity.

A long line says a lot about a ride, its says that guests are willing to wait 45 minutes to experience their favorite attraction, even if they have seen it before. Some rides may never generate long lines as some guests possibly won’t wait more than ten minutes to ride Mermaid again.

I know that Mermaid is supposed to be for a certain demographic, but my five year old niece didn’t want to ride it again even there was only a five minute to no minute wait in the middle of the day!

I think there is a bit of propaganda at work here: Mermaid has short lines because of the people eating Omnimover! Well, it also disappoints some, and yes it is better than a lot of rides in DCA per surveys . . . but that is because a lot of the rides in DCA are just off-the-shelf rides you could find anywhere.

---------- Post added 04-04-2012 at 04:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    Haunted mansion also has a preshow (aka elevators) which extend the line outside and lead to longer wait times. The little mermaid lets you go straight onto the ride which causes the line to never stop. On haunted mansion you stop to wait for the current load of people to move onto the elevator. You then stop to wait for the people in the room to move into the elevator. It leads to slightly longer wait times than you would if you went directly on like TLM.
    Well . . . when HM doesn't have a long line, and is a walk-on, such as at the end of operating hours, you simply walk in the front door, ride the elevator down, and get on the doombuggy in less than five minutes. Remember, guests are continually loading into doombuggies, as the elevator supplies enough guests to do this and thus doesn't clog up the line at the end, (at least that is usually the case when the line is long). It does add some minutes to the total wait time, but it is only like five minutes.

---------- Post added 04-04-2012 at 04:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    1. Pooh is lucky to break 900 riders per hour, that's all the ride system was designed to handle. Little Mermaid can break 2,000 an hour without breathing hard. Little Mermaid does TWICE the number of daily riders as Toy Story Midway Mania, due to its huge ride capacity. Like it or not, Little Mermaid is a hit.

2. The guy who stood in front of the mural of the New Fantasyland talking out of his behind about how much better WDW's Mermaid will be was not approved by management.

The Little Mermaid ride at WDW is an exact duplicate of the DCA version, except for the queue and building facade. True story.
    Ride capacity aside, its hard to judge the overall popularity of Mermaid as there simply aren't a whole lot of rides in DCA at the moment, and given that it is a big improvement over what DCA usually offers it will get guests. When I look at Mermaid, I compare it to other Disney rides and find it lacking in terms of overall ride experience and theme. When Carsland opens, no doubt Mermaid will get more foot traffic.

Anyway, it is interesting that Ariel's hair will be changed, as well as other needed changes in lighting and such. Its probably almost unprecedented that a major Audioanimatronic gets a drastic make-over this early in its life.

Regarding Magic Kingdom's Mermaid ride . . . the ride building is noticeably bigger than the one in DCA, necessitating at least some differences between the two rides, if only for the creation of more expansive sets that don't feel claustrophobic like the ones in DCA. Plus, does anybody really believe that the paper-cut out of Ursula exploding in the sea will be used in Florida?

• Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    [/B]

1. The omni mover is a very, very high capacity ride system.

2. Little Mermaid is not in Disneyland park, so it doesn't get any where close to the same ridership that Mansion gets. If Little Mermaide were in Disneyland park the waits would be similar to those of Mansion.
    I think it looks pretty cool and I think DCA with all the new chages is going in the right direction.

---------- Post added 04-04-2012 at 10:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Here’s some ride capacities:

Haunted Mansion: Max Guest capacity of 2,618, typically 2,000 to 2,400 per hour.

Pirates : Max Guest capacity 3,400 per hour.

Autopia: 2,800 guests per hour.

Small World: 2,500 guests per hour

Little Mermaid: Around 2,000 per hour

Indiana Jones: 1,800 guests per hour

As you can see, guest capacity alone does not dictator how long an attraction’s line will be. Pirates is a guest eater on steroids when compared to Mermaid, yet it often has long lines. Omnimover is NOT the highest of the high in terms of ride capacity, boat rides and Autopia have higher ride capacities.

Small World’s guest capacity is around 2,500 guests per hour. Yet is also has long lines. Indiana Jones is not an omnimover and yet pulls in about 1,800 per hour, comparable with Mermaid which I suspect is not going at full capacity.

A long line says a lot about a ride, its says that guests are willing to wait 45 minutes to experience their favorite attraction, even if they have seen it before. Some rides may never generate long lines as some guests possibly won’t wait more than ten minutes to ride Mermaid again.

I know that Mermaid is supposed to be for a certain demographic, but my five year old niece didn’t want to ride it again even there was only a five minute to no minute wait in the middle of the day!

I think there is a bit of propaganda at work here: Mermaid has short lines because of the people eating Omnimover! Well, it also disappoints some, and yes it is better than a lot of rides in DCA per surveys . . . but that is because a lot of the rides in DCA are just off-the-shelf rides you could find anywhere.

---------- Post added 04-04-2012 at 04:25 PM ----------

Well . . . when HM doesn't have a long line, and is a walk-on, such as at the end of operating hours, you simply walk in the front door, ride the elevator down, and get on the doombuggy in less than five minutes. Remember, guests are continually loading into doombuggies, as the elevator supplies enough guests to do this and thus doesn't clog up the line at the end, (at least that is usually the case when the line is long). It does add some minutes to the total wait time, but it is only like five minutes.

---------- Post added 04-04-2012 at 04:42 PM ----------

Ride capacity aside, its hard to judge the overall popularity of Mermaid as there simply aren't a whole lot of rides in DCA at the moment, and given that it is a big improvement over what DCA usually offers it will get guests. When I look at Mermaid, I compare it to other Disney rides and find it lacking in terms of overall ride experience and theme. When Carsland opens, no doubt Mermaid will get more foot traffic.

Anyway, it is interesting that Ariel's hair will be changed, as well as other needed changes in lighting and such. Its probably almost unprecedented that a major Audioanimatronic gets a drastic make-over this early in its life.

Regarding Magic Kingdom's Mermaid ride . . . the ride building is noticeably bigger than the one in DCA, necessitating at least some differences between the two rides, if only for the creation of more expansive sets that don't feel claustrophobic like the ones in DCA. Plus, does anybody really believe that the paper-cut out of Ursula exploding in the sea will be used in Florida?
    I know alot of peole aren't big fans of Winnie the Pooh, but I don't think it is all that bad, and the 8 and under love it.
    Dave

Great update, Al. I'm 6' 7'', and I have no idea how the heck I'm going to fit in those new Matterhorn bobsleds. I'm kind of frustrated with this new "upgrade" they're doing, and I'll be really disappointed if it turns out I can't ride it anymore.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Am I the only one who would rather actually have to wait in the queues in Cars Land? This is a brand new land with brand new attractions. I'd want to have as much time as possible to see all the details of all the attractions. If I'm flying through the queue because I'm one of the firsts in line, I'd be missing out on not only the details of the queues, but also the anticipation of riding the attractions while watching others have the fun.

• Former Churro Jockey

There was a lot in the article about Disney wanting to add more entertainment to DCA to "help" with the crowds. Maybe that sounds good in theory to someone, but as a former CM who worked through the worst of the Electrical Parade Farewell Season, trying to do crowd control for a parade or show in a park that is at max capacity just makes everything worse. People get really upset with all of the ropes everywhere and being told you can't go this way and you can't go that way and you can't sit there even though a different crowd control CM told you to sit there 20 minutes ago, etc. If DCA really is going to be as crowded as they expect it to be, then I would suggest pulling most of the entertainment and limiting it to just World of Color. Keeping all of the walkways as open as possible should be their #1 goal.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Hm, so Disney lawyers didn't realize that Cadillac also refers to the name of the Frenchman who founded Detroit? That there is a Lake Cadillac in Michigan, a Cadillac Mountain in Maine, towns named Cadillac in Canada and France? Oh, Disney lawyers. For being so protective of their own property, they sure aren't very creative.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    Am I the only one who would rather actually have to wait in the queues in Cars Land? This is a brand new land with brand new attractions. I'd want to have as much time as possible to see all the details of all the attractions. If I'm flying through the queue because I'm one of the firsts in line, I'd be missing out on not only the details of the queues, but also the anticipation of riding the attractions while watching others have the fun.
    I thought the same. Considering I've been looking at Cars Land construction photos daily for the last two years, I'd think it was a real shame to just run through and be "done" with the land in an hour and a half, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    Hm, so Disney lawyers didn't realize that Cadillac also refers to the name of the Frenchman who founded Detroit? That there is a Lake Cadillac in Michigan, a Cadillac Mountain in Maine, towns named Cadillac in Canada and France? Oh, Disney lawyers. For being so protective of their own property, they sure aren't very creative.
    Yes but if GM has a trademark on Cadillac Disney is out of luck. This is how many infringement type suits go. You'd think that a word is common enough, or it was based on something previous to its current usage, but if it's copyright/trademark attached the person that holds it is the winner. (I know it's not something most people here know about, but I know this has happened quite a few times with the names of craft beers. Even if you called something Scotty's Scotch Ale first the person that holds the trademark to the name wins when he files a cease & desist.)

Anyway, I just wonder if the current "fixes" (BVS & Cars Land) will be what DCA needs. Even though I make it out to DL every other year or so, I don't know that even with these changes I'll spend any more than one partial day in DCA. If I do I feel at this point it might be because of long lines and not the number of attractions/shows/etc. The new attractions seem like one & done type things that aren't all that thrilling. As an adult I've ridden Pooh once and probably won't again. That's how I think the Carsland attractions might end up for me. Hopefully not! The "excitement" online from sites like this and Disney's own sites just aren't translating for me right now.
    Last edited by kiwifuz; 04-05-2012 at 05:35 AM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    But those don't apply to the subject matter - and that matters with trademarks. Which is why you can have 'ford pest control' and 'ford motor care's.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   

Once again, great article, Al.

I think some people can't be happy. They complain about DCA and the low budget way it was built. Disney spends over $1 Billion to bring it to the level of a full theme park experience and now they complain about how Carsland is a loser. Cars 1 was a bust?- if $461 Million gross is a bust please include me in the residuals. (Note I'm not defending Cars 2.) Little Mermaid is not for me but they aren't making up the guest ratings. The people who love it love it. The rest of us don't go on it so don't rate it on surveys of attractions visited that day. If it keeps 2,000 guests an hour busy while I go on the new rides- great!

AP Magic Mornings? I'm not a morning person but I plan on getting there early a few times this summer. Great idea and a nice nod to AP holders.

I applaud Lasseter, Iger and especially the Glendale folks who have done great job. The new DCA will be worthy of spending a day. It's going to be a great summer at DLR.
    Leonard
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. I REFUSE!"

Cool Re: 4/3: Final Laps

Quote Originally Posted by disney_leonard View Post
    Once again, great article, Al.

I think some people can't be happy. They complain about DCA and the low budget way it was built. Disney spends over $1 Billion to bring it to the level of a full theme park experience and now they complain about how Carsland is a loser. Cars 1 was a bust?- if $461 Million gross is a bust please include me in the residuals. (Note I'm not defending Cars 2.) Little Mermaid is not for me but they aren't making up the guest ratings. The people who love it love it. The rest of us don't go on it so don't rate it on surveys of attractions visited that day. If it keeps 2,000 guests an hour busy while I go on the new rides- great!

AP Magic Mornings? I'm not a morning person but I plan on getting there early a few times this summer. Great idea and a nice nod to AP holders.

I applaud Lasseter, Iger and especially the Glendale folks who have done great job. The new DCA will be worthy of spending a day. It's going to be a great summer at DLR.
    Well said. Give it a chance before you put it down.

Now I just want to know how to get the tickets to the AP preview weekend?? When & where will those go on sale?
    MZ DSNY

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast