Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

4/10: Magic, Tragic and Read

Kevin takes a look at the Sorcerers Game, The Avengers monorail and reviews a new Orlando guide. Discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Magic, Tragic and Read - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Registered Member

Re: 4/10: Magic, Tragic and Read

Great article, Kevin.
    James

Once a Disney fan, always a Disney fan.

Disney giving out the cards in Sorcerers to everyone who plays seems incredibly wasteful. All of that money could be spent on something much better.
    Also it seems to me that the experience of playing this sort of game is more fitting to the arcade in Tomorrowland or better yet at home on an iPad or computer. For a day rate of $90.53 to enter Magic Kingdom, I would not spend my time in a line to play in front of a tv screen and collect some playing cards.
    The only upside I see to this "attraction" is that is will be keeping people out of the lines for other attractions.

I must have officially crossed into realm of "old" age. I don't understand why on earth anyone would pay $100 a day to enter WDW to play a modern day equivalent of Dungeons and Dragons. Am I losing my mind?

• Banned User

The card game seems so fadish. I'm sure it does something for people. Once you finished your collection, what do you have left? There's an attic full of beanie babies out there. Don't forget about your Disney bean babies, which I have some in the garage. How about your pin collection? I have a few pins left in a box somewhere with some "collectibles" from the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics. I stopped buying souvenirs period and definitely stopped collecting anything including Disneyland Park guides and maps.

These things have sentimental value, but they accummulate and take up valuable space at home. They don't allow room to take up new interests, which inevitably will occur. Perhaps you should put the cards up in eBay. You get the best of both worlds. Enjoy the game while selling them to those who are willing to part with their money. In turn, you can fund future trips to Disney World.

• Banned User

Nice article Kevin, as usual I couldn't help but laugh with the sarcastic comments in the video update.

The part about the spider web on the sign greeting folks to the Ticket and Transportation Center made me laugh as I'm not sure if I'd classify this under declining by degrees, but rather just due to mother nature. I hope to see some pictures in the coming weeks to see if the spider web is still there, and if it goes away then there will probably be speculation about whether somebody dusted up there or if the wind got it.

With regards to the castmember chef with the knife bag, do we know 100% that he was going to work at the ConTemp? Wouldn't employee parking be closer? I'd like to think that he was in the Vic & Al's learning how to julienne carrots from a pro and then caught a ride back to work, he looks kind of young to have his own knife bag thingy.

If there was a psycho on the monorail, wouldn't having a knife wielding castmember be a good thing??

The collectible card game market is huge right now and has been for the past decade. Also, games like Dungeons and Dragons are making a big comeback as well so to me it is not that surprising that this type of game would be popular. The normal collectible card games are used to build a competitive deck which is used to play against other players. Each deck will have its own strengths and weaknesses based on which cards are included. The deck size is usually limited to a set number of cards so players cannot just throw everything they have. I am guessing that at some point Disney will use these cards in games you can play at home as the article suggests.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I have no comment on this week's article. I do, however, have a big problem with an ad that appeared at the head of this article advertising "One Click to a Roman Orgy". On a Disney fan site? Not cool at all!

• MiceAge Columnist

I think Disney intended it to be a niche thing. The windows have a limited capacity and they anticipated that the vast, VAST majority of visitors would have no interest. So I think they agree with you that this isn't aimed at the $90/day masses.

That the thing is so popular still means they under-estimated. Either the game is more fun than they thought, or there is a more 'hungry' population of annual passholders than they thought, or both.

Probably it's just a sign that the crowds demand newness. The place is otherwise kinda stale in some ways.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

OK, after watching the slide show (thanks for these, Kevin!), I do have a comment about those "generic" rafts at Typhoon Lagoon. While it's easy to dump this into the "declining by degrees" category, I would actually put it in another category of stuff that's, well, yeah, not the best thing, but really not that big a deal. Now, if you look at 100 of those type of things, you could say that they all add up to something negative. Or you could say that there are 100 things that don't really matter and fall well below the level of most people's attention. I just think that a bit too much is made of elements of the parks that are maybe not quite right but shouldn't be lumped in to "declining by degrees" type of things. Just my opinion, of course.

• let's talk Disney, okay!

why don't they just bring back VMK rather than try and re-invent the wheel.

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

Just screams "Magic" all over again... fad.
    -Wes

• is too darn hot.

While the Las Vegas Monorail may have been originally been built with original Disney Mark IV monorails, the current Las Vegas fleet is all newly built Bombardier Mark VI monorails specifically for that system.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815 View Post
    Just screams "Magic" all over again... fad.
    Except Magic: The Gathering is still quite popular in some circles. Now if you'd said "POGs", then...
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Minion

I can play games on a screen at home. *yawn*

• Pilot EdForceOne

I think people are way too hard on the game.. if you've played it's sister incarnation or it.. I think you'd have a different opinion. The version on the ships is quite clever and fun.. especially for the little ones.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast