• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

4/17: American in Paris

Kevin's latest book helps you out should you plan a trip to Disneyland Paris Resort. Discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: American in Paris- MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 4/17: American in Paris

I read all my digital books on my iPad (or sometimes iPhone when traveling). As much as I'd like to get this to plan a trip to DLP for later this year, I will wait for a standard ePub version. I'm not buying a Kindle or kindle reader to read it on my Mac. That's why I bought an iPad to not have to use the computer for everything!
    No matter where you go, there you are!

• MiceAge Columnist

I realized this morning, while reading the story, that I had neglected to mention the free Kindle-for-iPad app as an option as well: App Store - Kindle

Lo and behold, the first comment caught it too
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• former CM

I'm looking forward to using your Paris & Tokyo Disneyland books! Do they include any handy French and Japanese words, sentences and numbers with pronunciations?

I almost like the new WDW monorail voice--at least I like it a little more than the slightly wimpy voice used on Disneyland's Mickey & Friends parking lot tram. But the new WDW monorail voice is a little too monotone, as if the orig. WDW monorail voice and 2001's HAL had a baby and raised him in Irvine to be an accountant.

I miss the orig. WDW monorail voice from the 1970s, and I used to imitate it at every opportunity. (I read that it was recorded by the late, popular station mgr. at S. Cal.s KFI AM640.) That voice was hearty and enthusiastic; the new one seems bored and boring to me.

--Tom Sinsky
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-17-2012 at 06:21 AM.

• MiceAge Columnist

The Paris book is skimpier (by far) and does not include phrases. The Tokyo book does, however, as it's much more complete.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    The Paris book is skimpier (by far) and does not include phrases. The Tokyo book does, however, as it's much more complete.
    Marketing, Kevin, marketing! The Paris book is not "skimpier," it's lighter, more portable, and more focused on helping you successfully navigate the resort. Americans (and Brits too--insert cursive, capital L with short horizontal line through the middle) differ greatly in their French-speaking abilities, and you leave it to them to select one of the dozens of useful, pocket language guides that match their proficiency.

In contrast, few Americans and British tourists speak any Japanese, so the useful, concise language guide was included in the Tokyo Disneyland guidebook.

How's that?

Also, while the Japanese CMs do speak a little English, the French speak a little more, which makes the French phrases almost unnecessary.

Please tell me they didn't get rid of Jack Wagner's "Please stand clear of the doors" and same in Spanish. That's just too much of a classic.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

If you listen to the link, you'll hear Jack Wagner right where he belongs.

I like the new voice. I find it very similar to the old one - so much so that I'd bet most folks won't even notice the difference. I was not fond of the voice that's been in use the past few years. It's just not a good quality announcer's voice. It sounded more like some corporate big-wig trying to be an announcer. This new voice is much more professional, and I think he fits in very nicely.