Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910
Results 136 to 150 of 150

Thread: 4/24: Tired

  1. #136

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,899

    Re: 4/24: Tired

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    If Al is treating people fairly, why only dedicate time and space if its an opportunity crap on them?

    Contrast that with someone like say.. Dustysage. Dustysage certainly has a preference in what he wants to see, and what parks/activities he likes. But he is fair in that he is willing to give time or attention to both positive AND negative items. He doesn't turn a blind eye and focus all on one path. He weighs both the past and present. But wait.. Dustysage not only visits WDW, but if I recall he even has an AP for it and continues to make yearly and multiple trips per year. So I guess he's part of the problem with WDW too...
    I disagree. Having read their posts for years, I think Al and Dusty are equally fair and balanced. Does that make my view less fair and balanced than yours? Of course not.

    Trying to prove a general case with anecdotal evidence doesn't work. You're arguing from and for your bias, as I and everyone do. And that's perfectly all right.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  2. #137

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,723

    Re: 4/24: Tired

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I disagree. Having read their posts for years, I think Al and Dusty are equally fair and balanced. Does that make my view less fair and balanced than yours? Of course not.

    Trying to prove a general case with anecdotal evidence doesn't work. You're arguing from and for your bias, as I and everyone do. And that's perfectly all right.
    Anecdotal? I gave specific examples. When do you read about Al covering WDW? How is it cherry picking or extrapolating when we have all the history to review.

    My bias? I don't have a horse in this race.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  3. #138

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,402

    Re: 4/24: Tired

    Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    But as to your second point, I think its totally valid to vote with your feet.
    I completely agree with you on your last post, cruise. I think the difference is, some people will not go back to a park because they see no value, which is I think valid. But to say that someone should NOT go to a park just because they don't like this section or think this building is cheap or some other isolated item isn't up to their personal spec is just not feasible. I'll rant with the rest of the online world when I think something isn't right in a park. But in no way am I going to boycot a park because I think they built a section on the cheap. As long as there's value there, then I'm there.

    ---------- Post added 04-26-2012 at 05:11 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    ....I don’t think Al was specifically slamming readers of Miceage, or even dedicated fans or guests of WDW, but that he wanted to make people realize that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    I know enough of Al's opinion to be able to tell his intent. But you can't usually read intent from an internet post - you can only read the words posted. And Al's words did specifically slam the regular WDW guests, with no distinction as to whether he meant only the defenders of mediocrity (a category that I don't really believe exists) or everyone in general. He needs to watch his words much more carefully.

  4. #139

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,899

    Re: 4/24: Tired

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    My bias? I don't have a horse in this race.
    ...No?

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus
    ... while [Al Lutz] may be good at getting the 'inside scoop' on specifics... his 'analysis' or editorial value is worthless due to his insane infatuation with his little peevs. Exec soap operas, anything DL vs WDW, and basically anything WDW. It's fine to be critical, its another to be delirious to the point of not being able to see anything else. And the 'drama' he pumps around management is sickening. Of course his preachings become the fodder of all the followers for the next month leading to endless discussion around things people have zero actual insight into.
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus
    ...Where do the get all this 'knowledge' to make these judgements about the internal workings of the company? From Al the prophet. Just look at how often management names are dragged through a conversation for no reason other then to have a effigy to strike and burn. People talk as if they know exactly what happened and by who. They are clueless.
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus
    Being an avid read of Al the Prophet doesn't make you a Disney insider.
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus
    People in Disney like Darkbeer because hes much more level headed then a ranter like Al. As such, people will be more themselves with someone like Darkbeer. People that leak to Al probably do it more for their own agendas.
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus
    I can't believe we made it through a full Al update without a backhanded slam at Orlando for no reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus
    ...sounds like Al trying to stroke it against some other sites IMO.... Sounds like another flame fanning attempt IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus
    ...Al's article is so cynical towards Park management...
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus
    This folks is how Al tries to publish a correction - yet still can't keep himself from trying to backstab you as he 'creatively' tries to correct his previous column.
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus
    This writing style (along with the 'oh by the way... ' about the Shanghi lands being 3 instead of 5 being the trailer on a thought vs the leader) is like trash mag tabloid...
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus
    Al's decline into a shockjock Rush wannabe continues...
    We all have horses in this race.

    Embrace your inner equine.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-26-2012 at 04:28 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  5. #140

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Saco, Maine
    Posts
    163

    Re: 4/24: Tired

    Ten years down the road, we might look at the return of the Orange Bird as the pivotal moment that WDW turned the corner and emerged out of it's "dark ages". Obviously the Pressler/Harris departures (and subsequent addition of Ouimet) were far "sexier" because it was management shakeup at it's best, so DL's pivotal moment lies there....

    By the way, when I posted on this thread (after I sent off an email to Al), I really didn't think that when I came back to see if anyone else responded, I would find 10 pages to read through. Wow....and no, I haven't had a response to my email, but really didn't think I would. Just like all those letters and emails I send to WDW management, I rarely get a response.
    WDW-'73,'76,'77,'78,'79,'80,'81,'82,'86,'91,'95,'96,'9 7,'99,'00,'01,'02,'03,'05,'06,'07,
    Jan'08,Feb'08,Sept'09,Feb'10,Apr'10,Sept'10,Jan'11 ,Apr'11,May'11,Sept'11,Dec'11,Mar'12,May'12,Sept/Oct'12,Nov'12
    DL-
    '79,'81,'84,'91,'05,'07,'10

  6. #141

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    18

    Re: 4/24: Tired

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    Great nutshell distillation of the problem. This is why "fans jumping up and down" get dismissed so easily as cranks. Even when they are 'right' they look so out of sync with the rest of the population that it appears they are in fact wrong. Add to that the company's hiring of planted shills on discussion boards and the enticing of new media to lavish multiday hotel stays, and you've got even less vocal criticism.
    Hence, those are the peopl (customers, shills) that get what they deserve.

  7. #142

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: 4/24: Tired

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    It was a year or two ago, but there was a job ad from Disney looking for someone to do essentially that. It got discussed in several online forums.
    Oops, my bad. I guess I missed that. Now I'm paranoid that when I'm reading a gushing quote it might be posted by a hired gun! I wonder if they went through with it?

  8. #143

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: 4/24: Tired

    No haunted mansion holiday... no CBJ Christmas Show...
    I think seasonal overlays are a different matter. WDW's bread and butter is once-a-year visitors who don't get sick of the regular show and would prefer to be able to see their favorites when they get there. I see that as a completely different issue from quality and maintenance.

  9. #144

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,402

    Re: 4/24: Tired

    Quote Originally Posted by steve2wdw View Post
    By the way, when I posted on this thread (after I sent off an email to Al), I really didn't think that when I came back to see if anyone else responded, I would find 10 pages to read through. Wow....and no, I haven't had a response to my email, but really didn't think I would.
    That's one of my biggest problems with Al - the fact that he never responds in these threads. I really enjoy the interaction that Kevin Yee provides, responding to our comments about his comments. Seems like if you're going to take a stand and make statements online, then you need to be around to defend them. Al never does that, and that's a shame.

  10. #145

    • WDW will always be home.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    697

    Re: 4/24: Tired

    Quote Originally Posted by Monorailred View Post
    Disneyland and WDW get two completely different visitor profiles (as we all know). Al is right, WDW gets the short shrift in terms of upkeep and detail, etc. and until Ouimet, Disneyland got the worst of it. One Disney is - I think we can all agree - a bad idea and I hope that WDW management will one day see the value that what Disneyland is doing can bring.

    That said, the problem is not WDW fans or people who prefer WDW over Disneyland not protesting. There are 17.8 million people in greater LA and only 2.8 million in greater Orlando. It is no secret that most of WDW's attendance numbers (47 million) are out of town tourists and Disneyland's (22.1 million) are more local in nature. It is hard for a minority to be heard very clearly and when people who travel from around the world keep coming.

    I love both resorts, but frequent WDW more often. I certainly do not "deserve" an inferior experience any more than a resident of Southern California "deserves" a superior experience.

    Disneyland still has some issues to improve - even Al outlined the poor planning and training of CMs in this article. As fans of the Disney Parks in general - we ALL ought to demand in a unified voice that those issues get addressed and NOT just at Disneyland or NOT just at WDW....but in each and EVERY park and resort that bears Walt's name.

    Someone earlier referred to politicians...sniping back and forth - WDW v Disneyland - make us just like politicians. One side is not wrong and the other is not right. Quit obscuring facts with emotion...both resorts have problems that rankle Disney fans...as a fan community, we should demand problems at BOTH places get resolved.
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Dustysage certainly has a preference in what he wants to see, and what parks/activities he likes. But he is fair in that he is willing to give time or attention to both positive AND negative items. He doesn't turn a blind eye and focus all on one path. He weighs both the past and present. But wait.. Dustysage not only visits WDW, but if I recall he even has an AP for it and continues to make yearly and multiple trips per year. So I guess he's part of the problem with WDW too...
    Both of these are spot on. I appreciate Al's coverage of the news; I even appreciate him calling out TDO when warranted, but it's progressed to something else entirely now - insulting a large portion of his readership and the Disney fan community just for shock value and page hits. I can no longer take Al seriously and find him offensive. Because of this, I will now get my Disneyland news elsewhere.

    Mr. Wiggins, we've mutually appreciated each other's posts before and I think there's much that we agree on, but I think you're out of line here. The problem isn't that WDW's hardcore fans aren't vocal or that we "deserve" anything. The problem is that we're a minority in Orlando (reference Monorailred's post above). Due to demographics, DL doesn't suffer from that, and accordingly the APholders have more sway.

    For all those complaining about WDW fans being happy about the Orange Bird, I would recommend to you Michael Crawford's excellent article, Oranges Are Good For You. Anyone who knows Crawford knows that he is far from a pixie dust snorter, and is not at all afraid to criticize Disney mercilessly, but he has a much more realistic view of the problem and solution in WDW than many on this site (including Al). Enjoying/supporting/writing letters about right decisions at WDW is just as important as criticizing/complaining/writing letters about the wrong ones.

    ---------- Post added 04-28-2012 at 12:25 AM ----------

    Also, for everyone acting like DLR is perfect now, I want to know what universe you're living in. Yes, on the whole, WDW probably has more wrong with it than DLR, but you're kidding yourself if you think that either resort is currently being run to Nunis-level standards.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney



  11. #146

    • Suspended
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    374

    Re: 4/24: Tired

    Those Orlando suits continue to amaze - don't they? But that's what Walt Disney World visitors get (and frankly, deserve). I'm sure their most rabid fans will defend this lower quality effort like crazy as they have other such decisions in the past.
    This statement is completely false I cannot believe a reporter would say something that would easily offend his readers. A reporter has to cover the news for the masses and I know that MiceAge has always been a Disneyland Fan dominated site but there is also a huge presence of WDW fans that read Al's articles. I am afraid he is going to loose a lot of his followers because he offended at least half of his audience.

    WDW was never going to get the Tudor facade for their Princess Fairytale Hall. The reason they are re purposing the facade from Snow White is because that facade matches the theme of Fantasyland. If there was an intricate series of facades for this meet and greet, then it would look out of place in the Medieval Courtyard section of Fantasyland. The highly detailed set pieces are reserved for the Fantasyland Forest.

    For our Fantasyland, the facade we're getting is the best. For Disneyland, they are getting a facade that matches their Fantasyland. Disneyland Paris got a facade that matches their Fantasyland. WDW has to deal with far more crowds than Disneyland so they need to ensure there is enough space for the crowds. Disneyland is cramming their meet and greet into a tiny corner of Fantasyland.

    Realize that Disneyland would not even be getting this meet and greet if it were not for WDW adding it to their New Fantasyland.

    If people are complaining about Disneyland getting a better Princess Fairytale Hall (which they are not), just realize that WDW is getting a far superior facade for Little Mermaid.

  12. #147

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,723

    Re: 4/24: Tired

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ...No?









    We all have horses in this race
    no because my world doesn't change regardless.


    Congrats with all those quotes you just showed how consistent Al's behavior has been. You won't find those posts from me when there isn't behavior worth damning
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  13. #148

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    439

    Re: 4/24: Tired

    Al is simply adding his trademark voice to the article which makes them fun to read. As i always say, not everyone is a fan of the evil queen, but the movie would sure be boring as hell without her.

  14. #149

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    12

    Re: 4/24: Tired

    I think it wouldn't be so bad if he didn't ask for money after it, but to say 'you guys are jerks, now give me your money', as Al did, shows what a disgusting human being he is.

  15. #150

    •   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chino Hills , CA
    Posts
    455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 4/24: Tired

    Quit crying this thread died 2 weeks ago
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Similar Threads

  1. Too Tired To Sleep
    By Where's Barbie? in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-24-2005, 10:24 PM
  2. Hey gals, tired of your boring job? James Cameron wants you!
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2005, 10:31 PM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 09:23 AM
  4. Ok! So who's tired after this last weekend?
    By seenoevil in forum Break Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 05:05 PM
  5. Blah. Tired of...
    By revol yensid in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 10:52 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •