Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 4/24: Tired

• On the Highway in the Sky

Re: 4/24: Tired

The unusual placement of Fastpass machines outside of the land, the first time thatís been attempted in a Disney theme park

Just a quick note on this - it was experimented with once at a Disney Park. For a few weeks in August a couple of years ago, the old Fastpass Machines for Tough to Be a Bug in DAK were set up to issue Fastpasses for Kilimanjaro Safaris, Kali River Rapids, and - I think EE and Dinosaur? I can't remember which attractions but I distinctly remember using the machines there for Safari.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    When people vote for a politician (or dont get out to the polls to vote) that does a bad job, it's often said that the voters "got what they deserved or asked for". If people are not up in arms about bad moves in Orlando and don't let their opposition be heard, they are in fact settling for what the suits give them.
    Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Romantic View Post
    The problem is that he lumped all WDW visitors together into one group with his comments. To some extent, it makes those of us who visit Disney World feel unwelcome on the site, which is odd since an entire day of the site's coverage is mostly devoted to the park and the surrounding area. I can understand encouraging those who visit the parks to speak out about problems, but I don't think actively insulting us is the way to do it. You can visit Disney World, even enjoy it, and still speak out about its problems. Being told I "deserve" poor treatment doesn't make me more likely to write angry letters, it just makes me less likely to listen to the person telling me off.
    And that I can totally back. Doesn't mean his comment is 100% or false, sometimes it's all in the delivery and Al came off a bit brash. That being said, most of the complaints we have in Anaheim are for selfish reasons...but a lot of it is because we also want to provide a great product to visitors as well. Whether that same attitude is help on the East coast as it is here I don't know, but I sure a lot of it has to do with the percentage of tourists as opposed to regulars at WDW. Just a thought and at least sometimes harsh words can bring more meaningful discussion.

• Banned User

All I know is that when Kevin Yee graciously posts his Decline By Degrees, he doesn't get the respect that he deserves. Maybe there is more truth from Al than people will willing to allow.

• On the Highway in the Sky

And - I just had to chime in on this...

Disneyland and WDW get two completely different visitor profiles (as we all know). Al is right, WDW gets the short shrift in terms of upkeep and detail, etc. and until Ouimet, Disneyland got the worst of it. One Disney is - I think we can all agree - a bad idea and I hope that WDW management will one day see the value that what Disneyland is doing can bring.

That said, the problem is not WDW fans or people who prefer WDW over Disneyland not protesting. There are 17.8 million people in greater LA and only 2.8 million in greater Orlando. It is no secret that most of WDW's attendance numbers (47 million) are out of town tourists and Disneyland's (22.1 million) are more local in nature. It is hard for a minority to be heard very clearly and when people who travel from around the world keep coming.

I love both resorts, but frequent WDW more often. I certainly do not "deserve" an inferior experience any more than a resident of Southern California "deserves" a superior experience.

Disneyland still has some issues to improve - even Al outlined the poor planning and training of CMs in this article. As fans of the Disney Parks in general - we ALL ought to demand in a unified voice that those issues get addressed and NOT just at Disneyland or NOT just at WDW....but in each and EVERY park and resort that bears Walt's name.

Someone earlier referred to politicians...sniping back and forth - WDW v Disneyland - make us just like politicians. One side is not wrong and the other is not right. Quit obscuring facts with emotion...both resorts have problems that rankle Disney fans...as a fan community, we should demand problems at BOTH places get resolved.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Romney or Obama? Aww - to heck with it! I'm writing in Aashee for president this November!

• Minion

The East Coasters who are offended here don't get it, I'm afraid. They were so ready to be offended that I think they lost the meaning behind Al's statement. Perhaps read it again and realize he isn't telling the East Coast fans who realize TDO is lacking that's what they "deserve", but instead is telling the rabid fans who defend every lowered standard at WDW that it's what they deserve.

There's a big difference.

But my question to those Easterners who do know TDO is screwing up the Vacation Kingdom big time.... What are you doing about it???? Why are you still going to WDW? Why don't you write a letter and go somewhere else for vacation? Why haven't you written a letter to the Orlando Sentinel like so many SoCal fans wrote to the LA Times and OC Register back in the late 1990's and early 00's?

The public silence is deafening from the East Coast fans who know something is wrong in the halls of TDO.

If you know TDO is driving the WDW parks into the ground and then paving it all over with a new Disney Vacation Club wing, what are you doing about it? And continuing to book trips to WDW doesn't count as a good answer to that question.

Here is my take.

First off, I think Al is being very harsh with his comment. So much so that I believe that I may post something later that will be "In Defense of WDW". Second of all, Al's judgement on the projects are based on concept drawings and heresay. Now I don't doubt that Al is probably well connected but perhaps he is jumping the gun on knowing what is going to take place in either park and how the final outcome is going to look in terms of "cheapness".

What I wonder is why Al thinks that WDW would cheapen the look of their Princess Meet-n-Greet area when so much money is already being spent on the Fantasyland upgrade there in the first place. I think that everything Al is saying at this point is conjecture on his part. Why he would add that WDW visitors (like myself) would deserve anything cheap is beyond me? Sounds like a bit of a snobbish attitude.

Personally having been to WDW since the '70's and also having visited Disneyland and DCA I think that both areas have their good and bad points and anyone who is looking hard enough could find them. I enjoy Disney in all manners and try not to judge too harshly on most things. Whether or not that makes me too complacent or not I don't know, but it is what it is. Why put someone down for wanting to enjoy something they like?

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Brer Mole View Post
    Ultimately didn't Al create Miceage so can't he just give his opinions freely?
    Yes, and MiceChat users can object as much as they like, too. It's a two way street.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

> Those Orlando suits continue to amaze - don't they? But that's what Walt Disney World visitors get (and frankly, deserve).

Insulting, ridiculous.

Orlando is building a new Fantasyland that's probably half as big as Disneyland itself, builds a Storyland Circus area with a Dumbo ride and train station that puts Disneyland's to shame, but going with a different facade on one particular building means they're incompetent cheapskates?

Worse, you insinuate that their guests are, too?

Why is the constant Orlando-baiting necessary? Please do yourself a favor and stop.
    --
    Greg Maletic
    Developer, Wishing Stars: an exciting iPhone adventure you play at the Disney Parks!
    Get the latest Wishing Stars news on Twitter!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    All I know is that when Kevin Yee graciously posts his Decline By Degrees, he doesn't get the respect that he deserves. Maybe there is more truth from Al than people will willing to allow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    The East Coasters who are offended here don't get it, I'm afraid. They were so ready to be offended that I think they lost the meaning behind Al's statement. Perhaps read it again and realize he isn't telling the East Coast fans who realize TDO is lacking that's what they "deserve", but instead is telling the rabid fans who defend every lowered standard at WDW that it's what they deserve.

There's a big difference.

But my question to those Easterners who do know TDO is screwing up the Vacation Kingdom big time.... What are you doing about it???? Why are you still going to WDW? Why don't you write a letter and go somewhere else for vacation? Why haven't you written a letter to the Orlando Sentinel like so many SoCal fans wrote to the LA Times and OC Register back in the late 1990's and early 00's?

The public silence is deafening from the East Coast fans who know something is wrong in the halls of TDO.
    Exactly right. As long as WDW is thronged with customers eagerly waving their wallets, TDO will continue cutting quality and raising prices.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Bingo.

Pretty sure the average theme park goer doesnt get to 'vote' for who runs the resort

Unless you're reffering to 'voting with your wallet"

Though I agree that a lot of the 'defense of the mediocre' from WDW related items, hasnt helped.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

ugh..the next gen thing is going to be terrible..

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Luigi's Tire solution:

New mindset:
    This is not a ride for all guests--rather it's a spectator sport that enhances Radiator Springs' atmosphere. (Like a wave machine Boogie Board ride at waterparks and on cruise ships that only one person can ride at a time.) Guests will still be allowed to line up and ride it, but in June and July, a full-time employee or two will award sashes or paper crowns for the best riders in the top performing tire vehicle(s). They will be allowed to stay on for up to half an hour (or till they are outperformed) to show off the ride's potential.

Over time this attraction could become addictive the way Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story Mania are, because riders will be able to improve their skill levels. This will enable the unathletic like me to feel the thrill of victory we could never enjoy on something requiring coordination, youth, and losing 25 pounds.

In the event of two or three awesome tires, additional sashes might be awarded. Eventually there will be at least a couple of skilled riders on many sessions and the position of "champion crowner" will be retired.

And perhaps one or two more employees in costume will ride for the first hour each day through August to show how its done.

Let guests ride for three minutes in June, two and a half minutes from then on.

Put up a sign
    like the one currently in front of Universal's Transformers 3D with something like, "Technical Rehearsal" with a warning that, "This ride may close temporarily as we improve it. We apologize for delays and appreciate your patience." This will temper guests' expectations and make them feel fortunate if they get to ride it at all in June and July.
    The real solution is going to be redesigning the vehicles. We are just going to have to suffer though this summer with these big tires.

• Banned User

Why is it assumed that "east coasters" are the only ones pissed about Al's crappy commentary? It's a matter of respect. I'm sorry, nobody should flat out insult their readers then have the nerve to ask for donations.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast