Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 4/24: Tired

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Re: 4/24: Tired

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I don't mind the learning curve but it sounds like the line will be pretty horrid. How was the Flying Saucers lines?? I never rode them
    I wish I could remember the wait time for that ride. What I do remember is watching others rid them while we waited to get on. The lines which I remember being interminably long when I was a kid, were #1 the Matterhorn, and in no particular order, the Subs, the Monorail, and Rocket to the Moon.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton

Al's anger towards the Flying Tires, even though it seems he has yet to ride it himself is pretty obvious. Even though hearsay does give a idea of what an experience is like it's nothing like trying it first hand. Obviously there is some learning curve, I don't think that could really be a bad thing. I've seen many kids stuck in the corner at bumper cars, but that's still an attraction that many people love.

I do understand though that getting these things to work is a bit more difficult and the control of bumper cars is almost a common sense thing nowadays.

That post on the first page spawned an idea and I think it could actually be a really good idea, though way to late to incorporate at this point. The whole experience could have been turned into a "king of the hill" type game. There would be locations on the floor that light up, and the objective is to move your tire over that spot. When you do, that person gets a point or whatever and another location on the floor lights up. Each tire would have a number (they probably already do) and there would be a score board that lists the number of "captures" for each tire.

Now maybe this wouldn't work and having every tire trying to occupy a specific location would be bad, but if they are as slow and hard to control as I heard I don't think it would be too bad, maybe there could be multiple places lit up at a time. In fact that would probably be way better.

Anyways I think something like this could increase re-ride-ability as well as helping train people to move the craft around. The game could also be completely ignored by the rider if they so choose.

• former CM

P.S. I'm just jealous that you have a Carousel of Progress, a Peoplemover, a taller castle, an EPCOT, and that you can get a haircut in a barbershop on Main Street.

• Disneyland History Lover

I'm a little unclear on the Fantasy Faire retheme. Is all of the Plaza Gardens stage (not just the stage, but the floor, the tent, and everything else) going to be guttend and rebuilt in the original footprint, or are they just retheming the existing structure?

I'm also curious as to what will become of the Frontierland transition facades in Plaza Gardens.

• Nutty about Disney parks

My only disagreement with the article is the notion that WDW fans accept the degrading quality of WDW attractions. I can tell you I am not one of those people and I for one am embarrassed that MK is giving up a dark ride for a meet and greet.

When it comes to things at WDW nothing is ever temporary. Both The Little Mermaid and BatB shows at DHS were supposed to be temporary shows and they're still running after nearly 20 years. And look how long Mickey's Toontown Fair lasts when it was originally set up to celebrate Mickey's Birthday in 1988. I don't understand the reasoning for putting the Princess Meet n Greet there instead of thinking of a dark ride to put in its place if it's only meant to be temporary. It's a testament to how sloppily planned out the changes to the Fantasyland Expansion were as WDW lacks the ability to think in the long term sense.

The problem however is that us WDW fans are spread out across the country which makes it far more difficult for our voice to reach out for TDO to listen. When you have a localized fanbase like at DLR that can get to the parks frequently, you know you want their input.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

"Those Orlando suits continue to amaze - don't they? But that's what Walt Disney World visitors get (and frankly, deserve)."

I've got to admit, I have often winced at some of the below the belt jibes Al had made over the years towards WDW, most of them partially deserved in respect to maintenance, pricing and management. I'm not a moron, I recognise that WDW is not the place it used to be, even in my youth during the 90's. But to state that WDW visitors deserve a percieved lower quality of attraction is reactionary and, personally, hurtfull to many of the fans that frequent this site.

Over the last few years it has been great to see expanded commentary over both WDW and the worldwide parks included with the updates from DLR but if this comes along with a stupid 'my park's better than your park' mentality then count me out.

"Oh-kay - that should do it for today. Remember your support is vital, your donations to PayPal help keep the bills paid. We’re only here due to all of your kind efforts."

I'd actually advise anyone thinking of donating *not to* after this article, especially if your home park is WDW. Never mind asking for donations, how about Al retires and lets Kevin Yee (who is a much better writer) take over the site?

As a former WDW cast member, and someone who is *no fan* of Meg and TDO, and would love our parks to get the care and attention DLR does, to be insulted and told that it's the readers of this site's fault that things are lousy, is unforgivable.

He's basically out to give TDO and excuse so that when they're blamed for stuff they can say 'even the fans say it's their own fault! We're blameless!' Thanks Al.

Cast Members at WDW know stuff is ropey, but they do their best to make guests happy despite the management shortcomings and the poor state of repairs and affairs across WDW. This results in masses of praise for the place which sadly drowns out the complaints.

Blame the management, but don't blame the cast members, fans or the thousands of visitors, many just don't know better, not having had the luxury of being able to visit every month (or even every year).

And if Al thinks I'd ever donate money to this site again he's living in (Old) Fantasyland.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Al could have be nicer about the way he phrased it, and it isn't good to lump people into one category, but the point he was trying to make was that too many people seem to accept and vehemently defend WDW's "declining by degrees."

Just a few months ago I had a discussion with east coasters on this board, stating that I did not want to go to WDW until the Yeti for EE was fixed. They all came out saying that yes certain things weren't their best but that I should still come out and see it because overall WDW is still great. Thinking back on a personal level, I thought of Disneyland's history...and even during Disneyland's hardest times (heck, I grew up in the 90s) I still loved it and was overjoyed to visit once a year. But even as a child, I was disappointed with certain things Disney chose to do. I found it incredibly stupid that Pirates of the Caribbean was getting a PC makeover to have the pirates chasing women carrying food. I would look wistfully at the dead sub lagoon and remembered being told by a CM on my last ride that the attraction was to get a major update and be something brand new, but that all hope for such an idea seemed to be abandoned. It was through my devotion for a Submarine Voyage revival that I discovered that there were people out there like me - they loved Disneyland, but weren't entirely happy with everything, and were banding together like a movement. That is ultimately how I discovered MiceAge.

What you need is a mixture of movement, constantly being vocal, and still showing your support. Where would we be today without the Save Disney movement? Looking at all of this from a political standpoint, the people on this board are the hardcore special interest groups...if the special interest group that defends cheapness gets heard louder than those that are against it, who's going to get their way in the end? Voting with your wallet is good in theory, but it has to be done carefully. Just simply not going to WDW isn't going to help because then the park gets no money to run and Disney possibly will not want to invest money into WDW if they think people don't care. It's a tricky situation.

It's kind of like a relationship. If you are emotionally invested in it and want to see it thrive, you have to stand by during the hard times, not just the easy ones. And you have to talk about your problems and work through them, because if you don't, they will continue and will only get worse.

I'm a little nervous about Luigi's Flying Tires but I'll still give it a try. I'm not sure I'll want to wait 2-3 hours to ride it...hopefully some of the madness will die down after a bit. I think this is going to be more upsetting for the visitors that don't live nearby, as they won't have as many opportunities to get it all down.

Interesting about the fastpass location, and I support the decision. This will keep down some of the crowding that will invade Carsland, and hopefully more guests will take notice of A Bug's Land as a result.

I'm glad Starbucks is going to more locations! Even if the CMs don't get as much training, I'm pretty sure the drinks will still be good (and better choices than what we have now). Happy the themeing is getting so much attention, too.

And Al - you made my heart skip a beat for a moment when you mentioned the "green mermaid." My first thought wasn't Starbucks, but the Submarine Voyage. Ah well. I still have my fingers crossed - apparently Disney is planning to do a new 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ​film.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Its hard to compare the two communities though.

WDW isnt 30 minutes from Los Angeles or most of Southern California.

WDW has always been more of a reasonable commitment than a trip to Disneyland for locals is. Which is why that WDW knows they can get away with mediocrity, as they dont have such a derth of a local population that So Cal does to complain or being the park constantly to nitpick or complain about items, or bring stuff to their attention.

Disneyland fans get mad, they know where the TDA office building is.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Closed Account

Hence being able to kill a nighttime "parade" 3mos after it's debut.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I'm actually one of the few who knows where TDO's building is having actually been there a few times.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Funny... wasn't DL selling record numbers of Annual Passes while the park was subpar and while DCA continued to be a turd? I guess all those pass holders weren't doing anything either and deserve to be blindly insulted in bulk.
    No, they deserve to be called good consumers who are taking advantage of Disney's decision to "paper the house" with cheap admissions media -- so cheap that fully-utilized Passports can get you a day at Disneyland for less than the price of a movie ticket. Literally, the cheapest venue in town.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Its hard to compare the two communities though.

WDW isnt 30 minutes from Los Angeles or most of Southern California.

WDW has always been more of a reasonable commitment than a trip to Disneyland for locals is. Which is why that WDW knows they can get away with mediocrity, as they dont have such a derth of a local population that So Cal does to complain or being the park constantly to nitpick or complain about items, or bring stuff to their attention.

The two communities are different, but whenever I've been upset about something Disney has done, I've never stormed into TDA (and I don't know anyone that has). I write to them and also express my opinions on this forum. Disney watches what we say here.

Making your voice heard here is actually the first step and you don't have to travel to do it!

• Certified in everything

First of all let me say you guys could not be doing a better job of proving his point. Don't shoot the messenger. The fact is that Disneyland slipped into this same state of decay in the 90s and a large fan push-back was a part of what brought the place out of its slump. Unfortunately, that's not what's happening at Walt Disney World yet. This is a wake up call, Disney is a corporate entity and unless WDW locals/visitors do a better job of expressing the dissatisfaction they feel there will be no change. It's supply and demand.

And after what we've seen at WDW I can't understand these comments criticizing Al for being too hard on management? This attitude gets you Disneyland circa the late 1990's. Literally. Without commentary on Disneyland from sites like these we would have that kind of Disneyland.

Could this have been phrased better, yes. Should it have been, no. We need a more cohesive effort to turn WDW around. And for the record, the distaste on this site for WDW as of recent had not been hidden, so no need to be outraged now just because it was put a little more concisely.

I know many of the WDW fans reading this care, and have taken steps towards the company to show it. This is a call to those of you who don't, it's time to actually take action, these things don't fix themselves. Don't accept a sub-par product.

This is what a different attitude gets you:

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    This is the WDW version of the new Princess Pavilion opening in 2013.

Attachment 18999

This is the Disneyland version of the new Princess Pavilion opening in 2013.
    Attachment 19000

I think those two sketches speak for themselves.
    Last edited by cruise; 04-24-2012 at 04:02 PM.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Banned User

What a lot of you "West Coasters" don't seem to realize is, we have been speaking out for years.
    Examples: Journey into Your Imagination, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Pleasure Island. The problem is the majority of the visitors to Florida are NOT returning fans they are tourists from all over the world. I stopped visiting WDW back in 2009 because after closing Pleasure Island and a majority of my favorite things about WDW I had no interest in going back. A good number of the WDW fans including myself have given up on fighting because it doesn't seem to get us anywhere because we are NOT the target audience in Florida. So trying to pep talk us "East Coasters" isn't going to work at this point unless you'd like to help us out instead of sitting in your "palace" complaining about other people's homes. I am rather annoyed at how a lot of you criticize the WDW fan base for their efforts but you have done nothing yourselves and you were not there. WDW is a shell of what it once was and we all know it, and the reason we are crazy about the Orange Bird is because its a sign that TDO actually even acknowledges the fans at all and it is a part of our history just as you "West Coasters" have your history. So I don't want to hear any complaints from the "West Coasters" until they get off their butts and start doing something themselves.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast