Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4/24: Tired

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

4/24: Tired

Cars Land - Not-so-Flying Tires, Racer FastPass, Disneyland Starbucks, Princesses Move In, More... Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Tired - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 4/24: Tired

"Those Orlando suits continue to amaze - don't they? But that's what Walt Disney World visitors get (and frankly, deserve). I'm sure their most rabid fans will defend this lower quality effort like crazy as they have other such decisions in the past."

As an East Coast resident, who can't afford the "privilege" of visiting Disneyland very often, I find the above statement from Al's article (and especially the portion in parenthesis), particularly offensive.
    WDW-'73,'76,'77,'78,'79,'80,'81,'82,'86,'91,'95,'96,'9 7,'99,'00,'01,'02,'03,'05,'06,'07,
    Jan'08,Feb'08,Sept'09,Feb'10,Apr'10,Sept'10,Jan'11 ,Apr'11,May'11,Sept'11,Dec'11,Mar'12,May'12,Sept/Oct'12,Nov'12
    DL-
    '79,'81,'84,'91,'05,'07,'10

• Mkcoastie

Sad Re: 4/24: Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz View Post
    "Those Orlando suits continue to amaze - don't they? But that's what Walt Disney World visitors get (and frankly, deserve)" DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Tired - MiceAge.com
    That's a little hurtful......No a lot hurtful. I live on the east coast, WDW is really the only option I have for visiting any Disney Park outside of a once in a lifetime trip to California. A trip down to Florida costs me about $500 dollars, a trip out to California costs my family well over $3,000 for airfare alone. For this I deserve poor management and cheap upgrades? I understand your point, and I agree with much of your sentiment.....BUT.....I think you need to understand how truly upsetting the state of WDW management is to so many of us east coasters. There are defenders of mediocrity on both coasts, and they do their a lot of damage, but spending my time on the WDW boards at Micechat I can tell you many of your readers are not such defenders. On the contrary most of the posters on the WDW boards can be described as angry. We love our Florida project and absolutely HATE to see it in the state is. We would be ecstatic to see John Lassiter make weekly visits to Epcot (heck, we’d love to see Meg Crofton occasionally show an interest in the parks), but we are so often left out of the minds of everyone in Burbank. So please.....understand that for a good chunk of your readers WDW is our park....and we deserve more than TDO is giving us.
    Last edited by mkcoastie; 04-24-2012 at 04:56 AM. Reason: grammer

• Team Hail HYDRA

Thanks al I just love your articles. Did you have any about how the morning of June 15 wil roll
    like if u camp for cars land will the open the gate you run free or will It be more like star tours last year
    thanks

"Those Orlando suits continue to amaze - don't they? But that's what Walt Disney World visitors get (and frankly, deserve). I'm sure their most rabid fans will defend this lower quality effort like crazy as they have other such decisions in the past."

Oh Al, but you sure love to get their hits, don't you?

• Former Epcot CM

Yeah, I can't help but object to the 'frankly it's what they deserve' comment as well. It reads as though it has been written with venom... and I'm fully aware that this is one of many (perceived) differences between the way money is spent in DL and WDW but... a difference in the period styles of a facade on a Princess meet and greet? I couldn't roll my eyes any more if I tried.

I eagerly await every new Al column and have done for nearly seven years, but I have always been aware of the unignorable bias toward the precious park in Southern California. When WDW gets things right, it's glazed over and forgotten awfully quickly. When they get them wrong, the issues are paraded like the heads of traitors on spikes on London Bridge. Look everyone! Look how awful Disney World is! Look how cheap they are! Nothing like us out here, an hour's drive from the company's headquarters. To quote the ever quotable Buffy Summers, do you have a superiority complex about your inferiority complex?

And no, my eyes haven't stopped rolling. I'll be sure to check out this tacky, cheap Tudor facade on a Princess meet and greet when I head out to Florida in July, because... y'know... it's what I deserve.
    Shiny and New

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California

July 2012 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Oh puhhhlease. I live IN Orlando. I worked as a CM for six years. And now here come the WDW fanbois playing the victim card "It's so offensive WAHHH!" I am sorry, but Al is RIGHT. When you have East Coasters losing thier minds over the Orange Bird when the Jungle Cruise and Splash are ten years overdue for a rehab, then you see why TDO gives two rat's behinds over the parks. Phil, Meg and the TDO Mafia know they can work you over with ANYTHING and you'll still show up.

• Minion

Isn't the whole idea of a simpler Fantasy Faire at Magic Kingdom to be something that can easily be removed for a new dark ride? Like to the point where they're covering up the tracks rather then tearing them out entirely? But of course Al loves taking potshots at Disney World so he can't be bothered to think why they're skimping on the meet and greet while focusing resources on the rest of the Fantasyland Expansion
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Space Mountain Fanboy

I'm confused as to how there is going to be a line for Starbucks at the new Carnation Cafe. It's a restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating. Where is this line going to be? There won't be any room with all the tables and chairs. This makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by al lutz
    iím confused. Whatís the difference between leaning and shifting?
    Leaning is when you're sitting in place and lean your upper body and shifting is moving your body around in the seat, i.e. where you're sitting.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I'm happy to hear that the dance floor and stage will remain intact and the swing dancing will return to DL.... but the flying tires? The ride system didn't work the first time around with the flying saucers. There really isn't a lot of new technology to a ride system like that, that could make much improvement to the way it works. The fact that they are already having some issues with it does not surprise me in the least. It was an interesting concept, but they should of come up with something totally new and different... and functional in my opinion.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Mkcoastie

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Oh puhhhlease. I live IN Orlando. I worked as a CM for six years. And now here come the WDW fanbois playing the victim card "It's so offensive WAHHH!" I am sorry, but Al is RIGHT. When you have East Coasters losing thier minds over the Orange Bird when the Jungle Cruise and Splash are ten years overdue for a rehab, then you see why TDO gives two rat's behinds over the parks. Phil, Meg and the TDO Mafia know they can work you over with ANYTHING and you'll still show up.

WDW needs A LOT more money and attention than it is given by Burbank or TDO. It definatetely has problems. The issue I have is when I'm told that this is what I deserve. DisnleyLand is not perfect. In fact, the reason we have a DCA re-birth to be excited about is because the original park was such a cheap, off the shelf dissaster. When DLR was struggling and suffering from lack of spending, was this the fault of all the residents of the western U.S.? NO. It was not. Was it what Al deserved? Again NO.
    Thankfully DLR is now experiancing a "renaissance" and I am extatic about that. Thats awesome and I hope that I can one day afford a trip out to Walt's park. until then, however, I am here on the east coast. My anger is at those in charge who make the bad descisions. Not the hordes of one time visitiors who don't know any better. Not the families that make a yearly trip beacause they love Disney and simply cant afford the trip out west. The people who actually make the bad descision at TDO and WDI deserve the blame for what's wrong.

(on a side note, I saw a short blurb the other day on how DCA's Monsters Inc still retains it's cheap facade. I wonder if there is some blogger in Tokyo saying that that's what Californians deserve?)

(oh, and "East Coasters losing thier minds over the Orange Bird"......thats right, I forgot. The little things don't matter, who cares about details)
    Last edited by mkcoastie; 04-24-2012 at 07:26 AM. Reason: spell check.

• former CM

Luigi's Tire solution:

New mindset:
    This is not a ride for all guests--rather it's a spectator sport that enhances Radiator Springs' atmosphere. (Like a wave machine Boogie Board ride at waterparks and on cruise ships that only one person can ride at a time.) Guests will still be allowed to line up and ride it, but in June and July, a full-time employee or two will award sashes or paper crowns for the best riders in the top performing tire vehicle(s). They will be allowed to stay on for up to half an hour (or till they are outperformed) to show off the ride's potential.

Over time this attraction could become addictive the way Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story Mania are, because riders will be able to improve their skill levels. This will enable the unathletic like me to feel the thrill of victory we could never enjoy on something requiring coordination, youth, and losing 25 pounds.

In the event of two or three awesome tire drivers/pilots (?), additional sashes might be awarded. Eventually there will be at least a couple of skilled riders on many sessions and the position of "champion crowner" will be retired.

And perhaps one or two more employees in costume will ride for the first hour each day through August to show how its done.

Let guests ride for three minutes in June, two and a half minutes from then on.

Put up a sign
    like the one currently in front of Universal's Transformers 3D with something like, "Technical Rehearsal" with a warning that, "This ride may close temporarily as we improve it. We apologize for delays and appreciate your patience." This will temper guests' expectations and make them feel fortunate if they get to ride it at all in June and July.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-24-2012 at 12:35 PM.

• Banned User

Does Nextgen need another dedicated queue line? This sound ridiculous. Now a third queue. To whom does this make sense?

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Luigi's Tire solution:

New mindset:
    This is not a ride for all guests--rather it's a spectator sport that enhances Radiator Springs' atmosphere. (Like a wave machine Boogie Board ride at waterparks and on cruise ships that only one person can ride at a time.) Guests will still be allowed to line up and ride it, but in June and July, a full-time employee or two will award sashes or paper crowns for the best riders in the top performing tire vehicle(s). They will be allowed to stay on for up to half an hour (or till they are outperformed) to show off the ride's potential.

Over time this attraction could become addictive the way Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story Mania are, because riders will be able to improve their skill levels. This will enable the unathletic like me to feel the thrill of victory we could never enjoy on something requiring coordination, youth, and losing 25 pounds.

In the event of two or three awesome tires, additional sashes might be awarded. Eventually there will be at least a couple of skilled riders on many sessions and the position of "champion crowner" will be retired.

And perhaps one or two more employees in costume will ride for the first hour each day through August to show how its done.

Let guests ride for three minutes in June, two and a half minutes in July and two from then on. Put up a sign like the one currently in front of Universal's Transformers 3D with something like, "Technical Rehearsal" with a warning that, "This ride may close temporarily as we improve it. We apologize for delays and appreciate your patience." This will temper guests' expectations and make them feel fortunate if they get to ride it at all in June and July.
    This attraction will never become addictive.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Not a Crook

I'm quite sorry, but blame, shame, and accuse the executives of WDW all you want, but why claim that those who visit WDW "deserve" a lesser experience. I'm sorry I don't have thousands of dollars to fly across the country every time I want to visit a Disney park. If you think I don't deserve a quality experience and should be actively ridiculed, I'm not sure this website deserves any more of my attention.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast