Thread: 5/1: World View

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

5/1: World View

Kevin catches you up on all things DisneyWorld. Discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: WorldView - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 5/1: World View

Kevin, there was an interesting article in WIRED last month about those smog-eating roof tiles. It's a pretty neat idea.

And thanks for not suggesting that WDW fans are lame for having a bit of nostalgic fondness for Orange Bird. You nailed it right-on - we all take a bit of comfort in the cute little things from our childhood. Sadly, some of your fellow MiceAge columnists think it's a sign of WDW's lameness .

• is too darn hot.

It's stuff like X-Pass that makes me wish I could cuss on MiceChat. I can't think of any idea that would be worse or more detrimental to guest experience than that. So unfair, so annoying and so FREAKING BORING! WHO THE HELL WANTS TO PLAN THEIR VACATION DOWN TO THE LAST MINUTE? LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME!

EDIT: Also, I like that they made the singing group at least somewhat themed. It gives them a reason to be hanging around singing. And if you've watched a Billy Joel video, you know that mechanics can sing and dance.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

I don't see how affinity toward the Orange Bird would make WDW guests "lame". I can't wait to get over there and (hopefully) buy some merchandise which I hope expands beyond t-shirts! And this is coming from someone who didn't even grow up with it.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Kevin, I felt the same as you did about the Test Track show. I don't have any problem with a singing group. But when they tried to make me believe that each person in the group was a big wig over part of the remodel, and they were just taking a break to come out and entertain - it was too much to swallow. Very very lame, and probably short-lived.

• Minion

I'd rather not use the term "furry" in context of walkaround characters in theme parks considering the generally crazy connotations of the word on the internet.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• MiceAge Columnist

That's a good point. I suspect the Second-Life usage of the term made it bubble up into my consciousness, and it's not the best word to apply to the rubberheads (the other common term, which sounds kinda dismissive if you ask me)
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Minion

the use of the name "fastpass plus" however does at least come with the solace that it appears they will in fact be keeping normal fastpass for people who want to travel somewhat normally.

I LOVE the Orange Bird and wasted no time saying hi to him as we passed Wednesday evening. Also saw people using some interesting fast pass (looked like hotel keys) in front of a round thing that had flashing colored light at Space Mountain.

• Minion

"Fastpass Plus" is awkward on the tongue. "Fastpluss," maybe?

I think the House of the Future would be more compelling if it employed cutting-edge design as well as technology. It's a fascinating subject, but it needs to be more visually interesting if it's going to make an impact.

I could probably muster up some excitement for NextGen if the money paying for it wasn't so badly needed in other areas just to being the parks up to the minimum standards of quality they set for themselves decades ago.