Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: 5/22: No PARKing

My pet peeve with the AP price increase is the disingenous rationale that it will reduce the number of Annual Passholders. Raising the price will not discourage people from buying Premium passes as long as Disney also offers a monthly payment option. Even the shocking new $649 price tag doesn't look so bad when you pay in monthly installments. $649 all at once is another story...

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It would seem that TDA is attempting to do crowd control via stiff increases in ticket pricing. If they get their way, attendance will drop while profits increase. Is it time for the annual passes to be discontinued in favor of flat So-Cal discounts across the basic ticket offerings?
    Another one on the bandwagon! Welcome!

It's been time for 17 years.
    SoCal discounts only in the off-season. Heck, discounts for everyone in the off-season!!
    Last edited by sediment; 05-23-2012 at 10:13 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by 80sDLCastMember View Post
    We are so close to all the changes, we may be overvaluing them. When the "average" person comes to the "new DCA", will a very short 1920's street (which a new visitor won't even know is new), 2 "C" rides (Luigi and Mater), a very underwheling Mermaid ride, and one hopefully great E ticket really fundamentally change their entire experience at the park vs a year ago?
    And a rethemed pier area...
    A redone Silly Symphony Swings..
    A rethemed mailboomer...
    the gutting of poor play boat, mailboomer, and mcdonalds
    two new eateries and dining area in the pier
    TLM...
    a world class fountain/light show..
    New shows in the redwood creek area... new entertainment in condor flats.. new street entertainment in BVS...
    new street cars...
    entirely new entrance...
    entirely new opening blvd...
    all new shops and eateries along said blvd
    rethemed facades leading to hollywood area
    apparently new themed elements around condor flats...

oh.. and everything in carsland.

This reboot of DCA isn't about the last 3, 6, or even 12 months. It's about the change from what was there for the first 8 years or so to what is there now and going forward.

This is on a much larger view.. not 'whats not been opened yet'
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    A rethemed mailboomer...
    TLM...
    New shows in the redwood creek area... new entertainment in condor flats.. new street entertainment in BVS...
    new street cars...
    entirely new entrance...

This reboot of DCA isn't about the last 3, 6, or even 12 months. It's about the change from what was there for the first 8 years or so to what is there now and going forward.

Well said. Funny how some people see it as a couple new rides, while others see it as a complete retheming of the park.

People love Test Track, but really, the inside portion is just ok, even a cute inside portion for RSR with animatronics is a huge step up.

• Banned User

While there are some new offerings, DCA's primary benefit to the company should be to entice people to spend 2-3 days at DLR, instead of just 1-2 at Disneyland. That was the whole idea behind calling it a "resort". Just because a new theme park is opened, doesn't meant that ticket prices should rise overall. Let's say WDW opens a villain theme park in five years, would within a month of opening it be announced that ticket prices are increasing due to overall increase in value of the resort? There's only so much you can see in a day.

Yes, there are new eateries and shops going into DCA . . . but since when do ticket prices have to subsidize this lucrative part of the theme park business? I had a very, very, very bad experience eating awful overpriced cold pizza at the Paradise Grill, would not eat there again. The eateries in Carsland look great, but I am sure that the food will be expensive. The eateries get more then enough $$ to maintain the atmosphere, we all know that the massively increased ticket prices and food help prop up the whole company. It wasn't always this way, the parks were supposed to be profitable, but not at the expensive of guest experience, and if there was a "break even" month/park, the company knew that the parks also provided tons of free advertising for the films.

Saw WOC . . . once, because it simply isn't Fantasmic. The viewing area for WOC is cheap and done poorly so it is hard to see the show. LM is not an E-Ticket, and is situated in a bad neighborhood, theme-wise and sight line wise, you exit LM and you can see the San Fran street, the Knox Berry farm like Mill at GRR, and the urban blight of Paradise Pier. The queue was cheaply done to look like a Barnes and Nobles, while the one in WDW will have an interactive queue, and probably improved show scenes. The whole cut-out Ursula thing doesn't work, similarly to the bizarre finale with the characters waving at guests with glazed over looks. We all know Tony Baxter could have designed a much better LM given a good enough budget.

It's true BV looks good (much better than I thought as I got an upclose look a month ago), but I view the DCA make-over as an apology for trying to rip off guests with cheap rides. APers and other guests have been paying premium prices for a DCA that really isn't that much improved up to this point. I thought that WOC and LM and Toy Story Mania and Monster Inc. were added to get people just to step in the front door, not necessarily that the price people were paying was justified and that they hoped that by adding new stuff they could charge even higher prices.

Carsland will be a hit, and we'll all love experiencing it, but the increase in ticket prices might turn off a lot of APers, especially given Universal Hollywood's Transformers and when Harry Potter opens, a lot of APers will head for the door.

A rethemed mailboomer...
    TLM...
    new street cars...
    entirely new entrance...

• My Children's Father

Perhaps they should consider an entry reservation system for the busiest of days, similar to what they have set up for early entry this summer. But I would simplify it (make it more user friendly) by having it actually recognize your AP instead of having to print something out and bring it with you to the park.

Requiring a little planning should reduce those "spur of the moment visits" that eat up parking spaces (and spaces in the parks).
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Banned User

A rethemed mailboomer...
    TLM...
    new street cars...
    entirely new entrance...

I was responding to the June 15th "step function" in attendance which is mostly related to the opening of the attractions i mentioned.

Also, your list frankly just reinforces my point - to a person who has never been to DCA, I am less convinced that anything on the following list are a huge motivators to travel to the resort (and the "total experience" only counts once they come).

A rethemed mailboomer...(assume you mean Mulholland)
    new street cars...
    entirely new entrance...
    apparently new themed elements around condor flats

That's a pretty weak list. The question is driving visitation. WOC, Mermaid, Carsland - I'll buy those.

Again, I'm a premium AP so I get excited about things like the new Boardwalk Pizza - but when I went with some friends recently who had been to DCA a couple of times over the years, we walked through that area and they didn't even comment or notice the change as it looks like it has always been there. Now, yes, the experience was much nicer and their overall appreciation of the park may have been improved, but my point is about driving visitation and we'll see what those dozen things you list amount to for the uninitiated.

•   

Disneyland 1 day admission tickets have always been set close to that of Mammoth Mountain 1 day ski tickets. At Mammoth presently for next season, Adults are $75.00 and Children 7 to 12 are $30.00.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I was responding to the June 15th "step function" in attendance which is mostly related to the opening of the attractions i mentioned.

Also, your list frankly just reinforces my point - to a person who has never been to DCA, I am less convinced that anything on the following list are a huge motivators to travel to the resort (and the "total experience" only counts once they come).
    Well if you want to move the goal posts and talk about 'a person who has never been to DCA' .. you'd list the rest of the park too..
    TSMM
    GRR
    TOT
    Soarin
    Screamin'
    MonstersInc
    Muppets
    Alladin
    etc etc etc etc

A list of attractions suitable for any theme park in the world.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Banned User

Well if you want to move the goal posts and talk about 'a person who has never been to DCA' .
    Fair enough, let me clarify, to a person who has been to DCA over its past 11 years, your list of changes is pretty weak to drive visitation. Again, WOC, TLM (until they ride it of course), and Carsland - I buy that those will drive intent to visit.

And for those that had not visited, well, the list of other attractions you mentioned were obviously not enough to get them to come for past 11 years.

Again, I'm thrilled about the changes, just don't see anybody else outside these forums caring about BVS - just an expected themed environment on way to Carsland.

Quote Originally Posted by DisWedWay View Post
    Disneyland 1 day admission tickets have always been set close to that of Mammoth Mountain 1 day ski tickets. At Mammoth presently for next season, Adults are $75.00 and Children 7 to 12 are $30.00.
    That is current spring skiing price, when most of the mountain is closed, or advanced value ticketing (basically booking really really early). Day-of-lift-tickets in the peak winter season crested $90 two years ago.

Mammoth this year introduced the RFID pass for all ticket buyers, which gave everyone who bought a lift ticket a personal card with a unique number. You would buy a lift ticket by simply going online and registering your number for the particular days you are visiting, getting $7 off each day in the process, and just heading towards the lifts when you immediately get to the mountain (with the RFID as the ticket) instead of getting in line to buy tickets. Disneyland should have adopted this years ago, as it gives an idea about crowd conditions before-hand and gets people away from ticket booths. And the discount, which gets repeat visitors.
    Last edited by choco choco; 05-22-2012 at 03:48 PM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Fair enough, let me clarify, to a person who has been to DCA over its past 11 years, your list of changes is pretty weak to drive visitation. Again, WOC, TLM (until they ride it of course), and Carsland - I buy that those will drive intent to visit.
    I think the list is far more impressive than what was done for DL's 50th and that brought the old visitors out of the woodwork.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Banned User

Are they advertising DCA's rededication and stuff on commercials down there in socal? There has not been anything here in Wa.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Which is why Honda Center is also being used.

An early season Angels game doesn't use nearly all the parking available at the stadium, so a thousand spaces can be carved out of the perimeter lots and leave plenty of parking for a half-full stadium.

The way it's been explained to us CM's just this morning by management (after this story from Al came out, as they weren't talking about it previously) is that we will be assigned specific lots at either Honda Center or the stadium. That way, they will know how many CM's to expect in each location and plan accordingly.
    They're playing the Dodgers on the 24th. The game should be sold out. I dont think there will be too many spaces available on that day.

And June 17 and 24 isn't that early into the season.

My memory didn't play tricks on me. I do remember buying a Deluxe pass for only $179 a few years ago. Now, the prices are so high that I may not go to the parks at all except for the SoCal promotion in the spring, unless they've dramatically raised the price on that too.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast