Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

5/22: No PARKing

Why the steep admission hike, Opening ceremony info, Racers rewiews, More... Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: No PARKing - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• former CM

Thank you for the update, Al!

Is Norm the center Rascal Flatt?

With the summer crowds at DCA, we'll start using our new APs in the fall.

Thanks for the tip that Radiator Springs Racers will look cooler at night.

Re: 5/22: No PARKing

Wow, Lotsa info there, thanks!

I just got some interesting info from a very reliable source. I don't want to give any info on why he is so reliable, so you can feel free to take it with a grain of salt...but I don't want to get him in trouble.

Lasseter just green-lit Cars 3.

Yep, you read that correct, and evidently the past couple of years has not been too cheery over in the Pixar ranks and there has been somewhat of an exodus of talent there. I guess Mr. John is becoming a bit like Eisner.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jaxbistro View Post

I just got some interesting info from a very reliable source. I don't want to give any info on why he is so reliable, so you can feel free to take it with a grain of salt...but I don't want to get him in trouble.

Yep, you read that correct, and evidently the past couple of years has not been too cheery over in the Pixar ranks and there has been somewhat of an exodus of talent there. I guess Mr. John is becoming a bit like Eisner.
    Sweet. I wasn't a super big fan of Cars 2, though it was a lot better than what I expected based on movie reviews. I hope Cars 3 involves the characters of Radiator Springs and Radiator Springs itself, more than the last film.

John Lasseter seems like a very nice guy, and who wouldn't want to work for Pixar? Might be sour grapes over some obscure thing . . .

I don't see Lasseter becoming like Eisner as JL is a creative type who is actively working on Imagineering projects and Pixar films, probably working longer hours than most hourly castmembers. I'd cut him a lot of slack, especially given the stress of opening Carsland as well as bouncing back from the critical reaction to Cars 2.

Eisner didn't sweat DCA's design and felt that attractions were built to fool guests into having a good time, and hence cheaper and cheaper attractions would work fine.

Great column Al. Though . . . there are plenty of TDA employees who do venture into the parks on a regular basis to ride the rides.

JL has been taking the time to talk to and meet a lot of the new Cars Land teams, from managers to hourly CM's, giving them little pep talks and explaining the importance of the and what it means. That's something Eisner would never have done.

Good article for the most part, but the cast cafe's food is not "unedible." And the lines are usually extremely long. The problem with the cafe's aren't the quality, but the price.

It's pretty normal for CM's to be shuttled from TDA to DCA. On top of that, the backstage shuttle runs constantly between the two on a daily basis.

Finally, I know many CM's who park at Pumbaa because they don't want to wait for the shuttle and have no problem walking. There are times of the day when the wait for a cast shuttle is so long that it usually takes about 3 shuttles to make it on one. A 10-minute walk is way more desirable than waiting usually up to 20 minutes for the shuttle and dealing with surrounding traffic and lights.

• ***PIXIEDUSTER***

Quote Originally Posted by jaxbistro View Post

Like EISNER....???? WOOOAH ......

Mr E (or he that shall not be named),,,, is nothing like Mr John....
    Mr John actually CARES about our park....
    ...just Ride Lil Mermaid... the Changes prove that he CARES
    about what the Folks see through their eyes....

Not just Dollar $ $
    )
    {---}

=)
    "Ready to help CREATE and HONOR the MAGIC!..... "

Shame, the cast food used to be good and affordable in the 90s. Can it cost THAT much to staff them with real Disney CMs?

Thanks for the June 17th heads up. Part of me still thinks the entire relaunch will be sparsely attended, but if it's more like Leap Day, I'm glad I told all of my out of town family, who were planning to go that day unaware of ANY of DCA's new offerings, that they need to rethink.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz
    The 15th has a two-park estimate of 90,000, which would have been absolutely mind blowing a year ago, but after the 108,000 on Leap Year Day and the 100,000+ planned for Sundays in June, it’s nothing too serious. Of course, theme park attendance estimates can be revised up by 15,000 or 20,000 on the actual day, depending on who shows up and how quickly the parking lots fill in the morning.
    Funny... Al overlooked such flexibility when he was busy burning Orlando at the stake for the crowds that happened on Leap Day in DLR.

Anyone else get the feel that Al's sources in TDA sound like the tired, sour, disgruntled underlings who are angry at their bosses? The clips he highlights, unless pulled from thin air, have to be coming from the grumpiest people out there.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Al -

In his update George went to great lengths to spell out all the challenges the Resort faces with their monumental AP demographic, and almost all of the statistics and concepts George spelled out were old hat to regular readers here. As the PowerPoint slides clicked along, George explained to those in the audience who don’t read this column regularly that the amount of Annual Passholders has grown steadily the past few years, even with all the previous price increases from 2009 to 2011, and there are now a million Passholders. (Tell us something we don’t know.)
    George also explained that the percentage of those who have Premium AP’s has grown the last few years and Premiums now account for well over 300,000 of that million, and on average AP’s are visiting 10 times per year. He briefly touched on the continuing experiments we’ve told you about where Disneyland hosts special after-hours events for AP’s only. The most recent example was the special Fantasmic! performances ostensibly held for the 20th anniversary of that recently plussed up spectacular, but really staged to try and siphon off AP interest from regular park hours and allow the AP’s to get in a visit for May without showing up on Friday or Sunday for only a few hours and over-taxing the Resort’s infrastructure in the process.
    If I read your article correctly, the average AP visits the 10 a year. Disneyland's annual attendance was just under 16 Million. Does this mean that APs make up 62.5% of annual attendence?

Thanks

jvsett

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    Shame, the cast food used to be good and affordable in the 90s. Can it cost THAT much to staff them with real Disney CMs?

They used to be. Long ago they were staffed by Disney CM's and sold great food and great prices, then they switched to Starz Diners, which was still staffed the Disney and they sold "guest offerings at Cast prices." Then it was switched again to Sodexo because certain departments felt that the Foods CM's running the cafeterias went to slow and demanded something else. Which is now so-so food and high prices, with slow and usually rude service.

It was really because the CM's demanding change that they got what they got.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

I feel bad for the CM's with this. First them being blocked out all summer (also a notice given at the end of a Friday) and now they're going to have to park that far out. I hope they don't get in trouble for being late.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    I feel bad for the CM's with this. First them being blocked out all summer (also a notice given at the end of a Friday) and now they're going to have to park that far out. I hope they don't get in trouble for being late.
    Seriously.. that' was my thought. Compensation should be an extra hour on the clock (30mins in, 30mins out) for any day they have to shuttle CMs, not a lunch ticket.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Disney fan

I hope it's better than Cars 2...

If the dark section of RSR is simply "cute", and the outside is the main attraction, it doesn't have a prayer of meeting hyped up expectations. Especially if this came from uber-positive GR CMs.

-Jason

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jvsett View Post
    Al -

If I read your article correctly, the average AP visits the 10 a year. Disneyland's annual attendance was just under 16 Million. Does this mean that APs make up 62.5% of annual attendence?

Thanks

jvsett
    Yup.
    Simple question: why WOULDN'T an AP'er go that often? That's less than one day a month. Granted, there will be lots of days of only a few hours at night. But still, gotta get your money's worth, as the AP Program naturally attracts people who know a good deal when they see it.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast