Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: 6/5: Cars Land Guide

This had to be a VERY painful article for Al to write. You know how difficult it is for him to be complimentary about anything Disney does.

Am I the only one who remembers his comment from a few days ago, when he called the interior scenes of Racers "cute"? Now it's amazing? I guess he finally spoke to someone who rode it.....

Gotta love it.

• Banned User

Making coffee is easy, but you have to learn how to do it. Training is supposed to teach you how to do it without guessing and repeating your mistakes on actual customers who paid $5.00 for the crap you just served him. It's one thing to do it yourself at home. Its another to serve coffee to customers.

I've seen the menu at a Starbucks. How do you put those drinks together without messing up BIG TIME? I feel sorry for those who don't realize that training matters. Any BTW, that 17 year old probably works for a local store that had bad training. It's no excuse. When the corporation comes down hard on Disney, it's a different matter entirely.

• Closed Account

How did Lasseter not have enough power to stop Queen Meg's Mafia from putting thier dirty hands over the main shop in CarsLand? I hope this gets reveresed soon.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

While I appreciated this article as a whole, I really do wish Al would stop referring to the Fiddler Fifer and Practical Cafe as the "Pig Cafe". Yeah, it's probably a cute name that some insiders call it, but for us, the general public, call it by its real name, K?

• Banned User

Great article Al!

Its such a exciting time with Carsland about to be premiered before the public.

In terms of the stuff sold in the Curios shop, it has happened many times before that the imagineers plans for 'selling' super expensive or esoteric stuff in a shop just to fit in with the land, have been changed in order to sell more of the stuff that people will buy. I am actually ok with this for Carsland as I love what Lassetire and company have done and I hope that Carsland make the company a lot of $$ such that the rest of DCA gets . . . made into something else.

They could stock the Curios shop with all sorts of the weird toursity items you can buy on the historic Route 66 like pieces of petrified tree, rock candy and scorpions encased in plastic, but I think most guests want something that is clearly a Disney product and Disney simply doesn't make this kind of stuff.

The great theming in Carsland will help guests more easily part with money in their wallet to buy a souvenir than Paradise Pier, which looks so run-down that you subconsciously wouldn't want to buy anything there, IMHO.

Flo's cafe looks . . . amazing! The photos posted on Miceage look like they are fancy computer generated concept art, but it is the real thing.

Luigi's tires, I would figure, could be tweaked to increase maneuverability by making the tires lighter as eventually you get the point where the tires are so heavy that they can't be steered very easily.

I'm sure everybody will call the Pig Cafe the . . . uh . . . Pig Cafe. Reminds me of how that suit wanted castmembers to refer to the park as Disney California Adventure at all times . . .

On Storybook Canal Boats when you pass by the three Little Pigs house, they don't even use their names, just where one pig built a house out of straw, one out of sticks, and one a Pig Cafe out of 100% wolf proof bricks where you can buy a double mocha Capuccino with half lemon, a shake of cinammon and chocolate shavings.

• Fit Cat

Ok, just a few points to quickly make which may have already been made elsewhere, but...

1. I'm having a hard time understanding how LFT made the cut to become an attraction, but it seems historically there were some attractions placed in DCA that never sat well with me, mostly in the Bug's Land area. I've had my kids there when they were younger, and even my little daughter wondered why the bumper car ride (whatever it's called) always went so slow. She's been on it twice, and leapt out of it both times at the end wanting to go on something faster (maybe she's just my kiddo... lol).

2. I still don't quite get how this huge Cars Land opens up, and it's only got three attractions: LFT, MJJ, and RSR. Am I missing anything? The rest are food places and shops, right? I dunno, but it just seems like there could have more attractions slated for the area, but maybe RSR took up so much real estate or something.

Anyway... I hope it works out well for everyone. Lord knows it's a step up from what DCA used to be which was an almost complete mess. I did Soarin', California Screamin', HToT, the spinning swing ride (that my kids both love), and I was done with the place (I don't like wet rides so much). I've just never understood how DL could keep me interested and engaged and riding for a good 12+ hour day, and after four DCA rides, I was through. It would tick me off if I were a local with an AP, kinda like you're getting taken for half the cost of the thing. Sorry about the griping folks... lol.
    -Tony

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrr1 View Post
    I've just never understood how DL could keep me interested and engaged and riding for a good 12+ hour day, and after four DCA rides, I was through. It would tick me off if I were a local with an AP, kinda like you're getting taken for half the cost of the thing. Sorry about the griping folks... lol.
    My thoughts as well, as I was wondering why Carsland didn't have a couple of rides, I guess space was an issue and I'm happy with what was there, even LFT as I never rode the saucers.

I think that the old pre-Carsland DCA didn't encourage loitering, you ride your rides and you get out. Look at NOS in Disneyland, they've got Pirates and HM, and yet you can spend a couple hours here, 40+ minutes to ride Pirates, an hour eating and looking at the shops, 20+ minutes to wait to ride HM. DCA, before Carsland, didn't have this sort of "place making", i.e. a land where you could enjoy just walking around. Maybe its me, but I don't enjoy walking around Paradise Pier. I want to quickly get on TSM and get out. Bug's Land is OK, but its not spectacular, or semi-recognizable like NOS and Carsland.

• Fit Cat

Oh, and one other thing... I do agree with the gripe about the merch mix at the Curio shop if in fact it will stock what I refer to as "Disney Store Stuff" meaning I can get it anywhere else. When I was a kid and went to DL, I can remember different lands having their own "themed" or unique product mix on the shelves, and the more generic Disney-ish stuff was at the Emporium on the way out. I still can't understand why that practice went by the wayside unless they couldn't move enough souvenir volume to satisfy the shareholders or bean-counters. I actually still have a buckskin leather draw-string pouch that I bought with my own money from a Native American-themed shop that used to be over by the entrance to Country Bear Jamboree, and it functions the same as it ever has and hasn't degraded one bit. Thinking now, this would have been around... maybe 1979, 1980 time frame I think. I just think getting themed merch that you can ONLY get in Cars Land or WhateverLand is the coolest thing. Shame they couldn't do that for ALL the shops in Cars Land. I for one would have purchased a Cars Land keychain and bumper sticker, no doubt, especially since we live halfway across the country from there nowadays.
    -Tony

• Suspended

What is with the continuous disparaging of WDW. It is not cool and not pleasant to read about one of your favorite places in the world in such a negative light.

Not all MiceAge readers call Disneyland their "home park" and Al needs to realize that there are people that love WDW that come here to. Perhaps I will take my readership somewhere else if this continues.

I hope everyone remembers that there would be no DCA, no Carsland, no Buena Vista Street if it were not for WDW and Orlando.

The comparison between Luigi's Flying Tires and Rocket Rods is nonsensical.

Rocket Rods died because it could barely operate. Every operating day was plagued with almost constant down times. It was not junked because it was unpopular. There was plenty of complaining about it, to be sure, but it always had a very healthy line when it was operating--that is, plenty of ridership.

On the other hand, the predictions about Luigi's Flying Tires relate to it being unenjoyable and having a slow line. Those two things do not lead Disney to tear out Attractions. I see Tires having a healthy line at all times for . . . ever. It won't be torn out unless (1) it becomes a maintenance / operations nightmare; (2) Disney finds a way to get better capacity out of the infrastructure. It might get tweaked (first person whose glasses are broken by a beach ball, anyone?), but it's going to be there for a very, very long time.

Note to Disney: why not a queue where a short video presentation is used for each group of riders to clearly show them what to do? Think Star Tours (it still has a preboarding video, right?). That would be more effective and more entertaining than a CM screaming at you without sufficient visual aids. Just a thought.

• Fit Cat

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I think that the old pre-Carsland DCA didn't encourage loitering, you ride your rides and you get out. Look at NOS in Disneyland, they've got Pirates and HM, and yet you can spend a couple hours here, 40+ minutes to ride Pirates, an hour eating and looking at the shops, 20+ minutes to wait to ride HM. DCA, before Carsland, didn't have this sort of "place making", i.e. a land where you could enjoy just walking around. Maybe its me, but I don't enjoy walking around Paradise Pier. I want to quickly get on TSM and get out. Bug's Land is OK, but its not spectacular, or semi-recognizable like NOS and Carsland.
    You make a good point there Cheshirecat... Come to think of it, there's noplace in DCA where I've wanted to just hang out and enjoy the theming or shopping or people-watching. Even now, I can't think of a place there. I'm really hoping the re-themed Buena Vista street will help with that. I've really been impressed with the photos I've been seeing on the updates here; it looks really good, and the Carthay and fountain in front look really great. Thing is, I can think of several spots in DL that I could "hang out" in and just enjoy the atmosphere and grab a bite or get a new baseball cap or something. Not so much in DCA. The area from the Plaza entrance to Adventureland through to POTC and into NOS is my favorite place in the park - very immersive. I used to feel that way about Tomorrowland, too, but it feels so dead over there nowadays. That place needs some kinetic energy back to it in a SERIOUS way... PeopleMover, Rocket Jets (not that crazy thing taking up space in the walkway, whatever it's called)... It feels really lifeless over there to me, almost depressing. The rides themselves that are there are fine, and once you're on them or in their queues, it's cool, but the land itself is blah... anyway...

---------- Post added 06-05-2012 at 07:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    What is with the continuous disparaging of WDW. It is not cool and not pleasant to read about one of your favorite places in the world in such a negative light.

Not all MiceAge readers call Disneyland their "home park" and Al needs to realize that there are people that love WDW that come here to. Perhaps I will take my readership somewhere else if this continues.

I hope everyone remembers that there would be no DCA, no Carsland, no Buena Vista Street if it were not for WDW and Orlando.
    For the record, my family and I really enjoy WDW. It's just a different place all together, and I think, as perhaps Al does, that having a "One Disney" concept really doesn't fit all that well for two places with such different characters as WDW and DLR, at least for some things. I mean, you may as well have the same merch offerings at DLP and TDL and HKDL for that matter, and for all I know, maybe they do. There's gotta be at least a little crossover, but I think my personal jury is still out on the wisdom of bringing Duffy to the US... I don't get it... lol. Oh, and the Wilderness Lodge is the BOMB, and we always use the waterborne transportation system from there to MK and the Contemporary to catch the monorail... and you'll never see something comparable to that at DLR unless they go on a serious real estate buying spree... lol.
    Last edited by tonyrr1; 06-05-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    -Tony

• Rock Star Minion

I think the disparagement is for the One Disney Parks group that happens to be HQ'd in Orlando. The one that thinks all the parks can be managed one way, that one set of souvenirs is better for business than to have unique items for each park.
    if you could paste the exact disparagement of any WDW park in this week's article, I'd like to read it.
    That is, unless the you're referring to the TDO Building as one of your favorite places in the world. Then I'd have to feel sad for you.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Sometimes the truth hurts.

Oh, and one other thing... I do agree with the gripe about the merch mix at the Curio shop if in fact it will stock what I refer to as "Disney Store Stuff" meaning I can get it anywhere else. When I was a kid and went to DL, I can remember different lands having their own "themed" or unique product mix on the shelves, and the more generic Disney-ish stuff was at the Emporium on the way out. I still can't understand why that practice went by the wayside unless they couldn't move enough souvenir volume to satisfy the shareholders or bean-counters. I actually still have a buckskin leather draw-string pouch that I bought with my own money from a Native American-themed shop that used to be over by the entrance to Country Bear Jamboree, and it functions the same as it ever has and hasn't degraded one bit. Thinking now, this would have been around... maybe 1979, 1980 time frame I think. I just think getting themed merch that you can ONLY get in Cars Land or WhateverLand is the coolest thing. Shame they couldn't do that for ALL the shops in Cars Land. I for one would have purchased a Cars Land keychain and bumper sticker, no doubt, especially since we live halfway across the country from there nowadays.

Very well said. I first went when I was a teenager in 1976 and one of the greatest memories from those days were the uniqueness of the lands and their merchandise. I blamed Pressler into turning DL into one big Disney Store Mall, which still pervades despite some bright spots.

• Fit Cat

Quote Originally Posted by SteveColorado View Post
    Very well said. I first went when I was a teenager in 1976 and one of the greatest memories from those days were the uniqueness of the lands and their merchandise. I blamed Pressler into turning DL into one big Disney Store Mall, which still pervades despite some bright spots.
    I agree with you Steve. I just can't believe that little leather pouch has held up as well as it has for all these years... lol. I don't remember what I paid for it; I was 9 or 10 at the time, but I just thought it was cool, and I miss that. We were at DL on vacation this past Xmas, and we got the fresh candy canes, and that was awesome. That's the kind of merchandise experience that I really appreciate.
    -Tony

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

You make a good point there Cheshirecat... Come to think of it, there's noplace in DCA where I've wanted to just hang out and enjoy the theming or shopping or people-watching. Even now, I can't think of a place there. I'm really hoping the re-themed Buena Vista street will help with that. I've really been impressed with the photos I've been seeing on the updates here; it looks really good, and the Carthay and fountain in front look really great. Thing is, I can think of several spots in DL that I could "hang out" in and just enjoy the atmosphere and grab a bite or get a new baseball cap or something. Not so much in DCA. The area from the Plaza entrance to Adventureland through to POTC and into NOS is my favorite place in the park - very immersive. I used to feel that way about Tomorrowland, too, but it feels so dead over there nowadays. That place needs some kinetic energy back to it in a SERIOUS way... PeopleMover, Rocket Jets (not that crazy thing taking up space in the walkway, whatever it's called)... It feels really lifeless over there to me, almost depressing. The rides themselves that are there are fine, and once you're on them or in their queues, it's cool, but the land itself is blah... anyway...

---------- Post added 06-05-2012 at 07:41 PM ----------

For the record, my family and I really enjoy WDW. It's just a different place all together, and I think, as perhaps Al does, that having a "One Disney" concept really doesn't fit all that well for two places with such different characters as WDW and DLR, at least for some things. I mean, you may as well have the same merch offerings at DLP and TDL and HKDL for that matter, and for all I know, maybe they do. There's gotta be at least a little crossover, but I think my personal jury is still out on the wisdom of bringing Duffy to the US... I don't get it... lol. Oh, and the Wilderness Lodge is the BOMB, and we always use the waterborne transportation system from there to MK and the Contemporary to catch the monorail... and you'll never see something comparable to that at DLR unless they go on a serious real estate buying spree... lol.
    I'm a Boardwalk guy myself. Taking the boat to Epcot and DHS is always one of my favorite things to do.

The new trolley's should help with Synergy. I've always enjoyed hanging out in the grizzly park area, as well as by the rapids. The new park is very nice as well. Cars land and BVS will be two new places to just hang out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast