Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

6/5: Cars Land Guide

What's worth the wait, What to avoid (LOTS OF SPOILERS), More... Discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Cars Land Guide - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Still holding the keys

Re: 6/5: Cars Land Guide

If something is less than stellar, leave it to Al to blame it on Orlando. I find it funny that Al points the finger at Orlando & the One Disney concept for the boring assortment at the Curio shop. Considering all of the great non-generic product hitting the shelves at DCA now, why wouldn't Anaheim and WDI have the clout to premiere the Curio shop with the merchandise that was originally envisioned for it? There has to be more to the story than Orlando just wanting to flood that specific store with the standard product found everywhere else in the Parks.

On another subject, it astounds me that so much money can be spent on an attraction like Luigi's Flying Tires only to have it turn out lackluster. There must have been a time early during the development that Imagineers realized the ride vehicles wouldn't really work according to the original vision. Tires that barely bounce, let alone "fly," a spin control that does nothing, and a low hourly rider capacity? What were they thinking? I applaud WDI for trying something new (or re-imagined from the Flying Saucer days--which also didn't work), and not off-the-shelf, but this attraction seems destined for a Rocket Rods style fate.

• Infinitized!

clinging to the cliffs and rocks of the Cadillac Range
    Them lawyers will be after Al on this one. Great article!

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by mongstrol View Post

On another subject, it astounds me that so much money can be spent on an attraction like Luigi's Flying Tires only to have it turn out lackluster. There must have been a time early during the development that Imagineers realized the ride vehicles wouldn't really work according to the original vision. Tires that barely bounce, let alone "fly," a spin control that does nothing, and a low hourly rider capacity? What were they thinking? I applaud WDI for trying something new (or re-imagined from the Flying Saucer days--which also didn't work), and not off-the-shelf, but this attraction seems destined for a Rocket Rods style fate.
    If, as many have said, this ride gets better as you gain more experience, then its easy to see how the developers of the ride were liking it. They were good at it, thus it was fun. They weren't able to see how the ride would be for a newcomer.

• Still holding the keys

Quote Originally Posted by socalkdg View Post
    If, as many have said, this ride gets better as you gain more experience, then its easy to see how the developers of the ride were liking it. They were good at it, thus it was fun. They weren't able to see how the ride would be for a newcomer.
    That may be true, but the average rider will have to think the long wait is worth enduring multiple times in order to gain the experience to make the attraction fun. It may be worth it for Annual Passholders who can hit the ride as soon as it opens in the morning, but I have doubts that will be the case for the other guests. Time will tell...

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by mongstrol View Post
    That may be true, but the average rider will have to think the long wait is worth enduring multiple times in order to gain the experience to make the attraction fun. It may be worth it for Annual Passholders who can hit the ride as soon as it opens in the morning, but I have doubts that will be the case for the other guests. Time will tell...
    Or hopefully read these boards on how to work them, or watch others and see who is doing best and imitate them. Passholders will get the hang of it quickly. The question is will the ride be fun even if you get the hang of it.

I can only see riding the Tires first thing on the reserved early entry AP day, and that's it. Haven't ridden Dumbo in 20 years for the same reason!
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Master of Disaster

I don't think the tires will ever go away! Here's the reality. Its well themed even for its low rider capacity and it still adds to the overall capacity of the park. On those busy days when Disneyland is at capacity that extra few allowed into California adventure will matter. Accompanied with that increased ticket price and you are looking at that ride allowing the company to make even more money. Besides I would think that if anything they will just expand to what is left of the Timon lot before ever tearing down to build something new.

• Halloween 2011

Thanks, Al! Your suggestion of an A&W Root Beer with a Papa Burger took me right back to my childhood one-street town in Northern California. I had completely forgotten about the A&W restaurant once located there and its menu of Papa, Mama and Baby Bear burgers. Ah, good times.

nice article although i do find the section about the starbuck training laughable. I have a seventeen year old nephew that works for starbuck called him this morning to read the article and he found it laughable as well. Say that the training is no different than the training he has gotten from working in other fastfood locations.
    Its interesting that this article makes it sound like Disney castmembers are uncapable of doing something as easy as making coffee

• Planning my next trip...

Thanks, Al...Great article! You just mentioned that the Matterhorn's new height requirement is going up to 44", but previous postings have said 42". Just wondering which it will be.

• ...TWO BITS!

I love how there's negativity on Al blaming Orlando, yet believe in every word about other things like Luigi's Flying Tires...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    nice article although i do find the section about the starbuck training laughable. I have a seventeen year old nephew that works for starbuck called him this morning to read the article and he found it laughable as well. Say that the training is no different than the training he has gotten from working in other fastfood locations.
    Its interesting that this article makes it sound like Disney castmembers are uncapable of doing something as easy as making coffee
    Disneyland cast members are incapable of doing a lot of things lately...especially SMILE. Speaking from a former cast members point of view the training was terrible and I would only learn the basics as they came up in my day to day work. Most cast members these days don't seem to have common sense it's quite tragic. And from what my current co-worker tells me Starbucks training is extensive and can be brutal at times especially remembering how much of this and how much of that to make a Tall Soy Latte with Caramel sauce or whatever complex drink you want to order. Making coffee is easy, making GOOD coffee is a horse of a different color. I think that's what Al is trying to say, I for one am tired of the powdered coffee the market house serves no wonder you get free refills all day they must buy that powder by the pallet load!

If there was one criticism of the dark ride portion, it was that many folks wished the cars would move slower through the interior portions of the ride. There appears to be so much to take in and so many details to enjoy, that many riders wished they had a few more moments in each scene to see it all.
    Looks like Lasseter is doing this ride the Walt Disney way after all. Walt always said give them more than they could possibly see in one pass. That way, they'll come back to see what they missed before. In Disney attractions, there's no such thing as too many details.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    I love how there's negativity on Al blaming Orlando, yet believe in every word about other things like Luigi's Flying Tires...
    Bingo. Blame Florida and you must have a secret agenda, but criticize a ride you haven't been on yet and you must be spot on.

The truth is Florida is clueless about how Anaheim ticks. Want proof? Go look at the generic junk they are selling in the Curios Shop.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast