Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Suspended

Re: 7/31: A Tale of Two Parks

Yeah, let's bash Orlando based on nothing more than rumors. That's intelligent.

We get it -- you think anyone who isn't located in California is stupid. Such unabashed bias doesn't do anyone any favors, as it makes you look unprofessional.

I do have to agree with several other commenters, though: Why does MiceAge.com create headlines for items that aren't even in the article? The article banner said "Tomorrowland targeted," but there was no sub-heading within the actual article that was specifically about Tomorrowland.

Very sloppy, unprofessional, and misleading reporting, Al.

• The one, the only...

Thanks Al for the great report.

My comment is about the need for more seating at DCA. That has been a problem since it opened. I am glad they are finally doing something about it now, but I am surprised it too so long for them to notice. The park also needs more shade for the hot summer months. It feels hotter than Disneyland.

I am excited about the new rides or attractions for Disneyland. It really has needed an extra E ticket addition since Indiana was opened in the 90's. All they have done since then is just re-worked or re-themed existing attractions. Finally the powers that be are waking up to the fact that new, exciting attractions draw more guests. Disneyland fans have known that for years, but management seemed to forget that fact sometime in the 90's.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

Nothing about the multi month rehab for Indy? Is that still on?

• Dave

Blog Entries

Question, wasn't the theater supposed to be a walt film? I agree it seems like there was nothing new in the article about TL. I am assuming this means the subs aren't going to be sunk any time soon. Besides I would hope any additional changes would come on the other end of the park to either toontown or Fronterland
    Last edited by bigwavedave; 07-31-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    Dave

I find it really strange that they want the travelling tourists to stay longer in the parks and yet they decreased the number of days on the longest parkhopper to 5 days.Although the Aussies can still buy a 14 day ph....they have discontinued the 8 day hopper for Canadians.There are a lot of people who are travelling from great distances and would not be visiting more than once a year,so an AP is not a viable option and NOBODY is going to buy a 5 day and a 3 day.Hello...Disney....are you listening!!!We want longer hoppers!

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
    I am wondering about this as well. Hoping for some potential dates soon... fall is just around the corner!

Disappointed about the anniversary celebration stuff... I would love to see CMs treated with the same high regard and benefits they had back in Walt's day, and they are so far below that. To top it off, the people who have been working at the resorts 10 or 20 years remember how much better things like pay, benefits, and cast events used to be, and they are seeing their new coworkers hiring in with no hop of what they used to have (or maybe still have on their older contracts)... but many of their new coworkers probably still have the same dreams of building a Disney career, and that is pretty much impossible now for those poor CMs starting out on the front lines.

---------- Post added 07-31-2012 at 08:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Susie63 View Post
    I find it really strange that they want the travelling tourists to stay longer in the parks and yet they decreased the number of days on the longest parkhopper to 5 days.Although the Aussies can still buy a 14 day ph....they have discontinued the 8 day hopper for Canadians.There are a lot of people who are travelling from great distances and would not be visiting more than once a year,so an AP is not a viable option and NOBODY is going to buy a 5 day and a 3 day.Hello...Disney....are you listening!!!We want longer hoppers!
    I'd be willing to bet that they got rid of that option because of the high amount of scammers/resellers/ticket renters using 6 and 7 and 8 day parkhoppers on places like eBay and Craigslist... it's harder to run an under-the-counter business of this with 5 days or less and still make a profit, but of course they still do.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Just as you have to prove you are a So-Cal resident,they could sell longer hoppers at the park only with proof of residence outside a 500 mile(ex.)limit.It could be done.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    The reasons for Disneyland's decreased numbers are 1. higher prices,

DHS has some great elements but it's by no means a full day park. I fear, though, that they will gut the Great Movie Ride rather than upgrade it, which will be a HUGE loss. Trying not to think about it for now.
    Higher Prices, is a not a reason for DL's decrease, both parks cost the same, so it would decrease attendance at DCA also.

DHS is obviously where the next big thing in WDW should be going, since Avatarland has already been announced for DAK. DHS and DAK lack well behind Epcot and MK.

Quote Originally Posted by vnormth View Post
    POP QUIZ: When was the last new E-ticket attraction added to either DLR park? (ST2 wasn't "new" and Nemo and Mermaid aren't E-tickets.)
    TSMM and Rocket Rods, one still draws crowds and the other, well we know how that turned out.

Knowing the TL is getting eyed for the next big attraction is no surprise. It has Innovovations and Captain EO barely grabbing guest's attention and taking up rare real estate over there. Then thier if Frontierland that has tons of room to expand in the back of the park.

---------- Post added 07-31-2012 at 10:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
    I have my doubts since they have had the 4th on the calendar for a week. Also there is plenty going down that has been announced for the start of the offseason. Let's see what happens after the Holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeYerColors View Post
    Disappointed about the anniversary celebration stuff... I would love to see CMs treated with the same high regard and benefits they had back in Walt's day, and they are so far below that.

I'd be willing to bet that they got rid of that option because of the high amount of scammers/resellers/ticket renters using 6 and 7 and 8 day parkhoppers on places like eBay and Craigslist... it's harder to run an under-the-counter business of this with 5 days or less and still make a profit, but of course they still do.
    It still beats a pen, coffee mug or certificate with a rubber stamp signature.

You can still upgrade a 5day hoppers at the ticket booths. Minor pain.

I'm glad they are considering adding more places to sit down. I was actually surprised on why theydid not add themed benches along the covered walkways of the Carthay theater. I was also surprised to see very little seating areas in the Hollywood area.

Then near mermaid they added this gorgeous planter with the mysterious column and nice sitting areas around it but then destroy the area and cover the seating areas with ugly odv carts.

I sure hope that along with the benches throughout the park they also see the need for trees on Hollywood blvd. the concept art for the makeover of that area showed trees planted between the palm trees. They had the opportunity to add them when the sidewalk and street was torn up for the new light poles. I am surprised they were not added. I watched the parade in that area and it was unbearable because the tall buildings and little airflow for that street made it hot and even worse because there is no shade anywhere.

Another area that needs trees and benches is the southern side of the parade route along the tidel pools bridge. It would definitely create a nice shady barrier

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Nice Reading, I presume more details will spill on the TL Update as time goes on. I am glad that they are adding more seating, as that was sorely missing even in the early years of DCA.

Timekeeper

---------- Post added 08-01-2012 at 12:58 AM ----------

Nice Article, I presume more details will spill on the TL Update as time goes on. I am glad that they are adding more seating, as that was sorely missing even in the early years of DCA.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Hi Al,

Thank you for your always interesting articles. I look forward to reading your updates as they appear.

We still have space food sticks here in Australia.. Would you like me to send you some?

Okinawan

• Dive ..... Dive.....

The reason why Carthay Circle doesn't attract guests to enter the restaurant is their poor menu selection. My family wanted to go there but didn't see anything that we would enjoy, unlike the Napa Rose which has some great items. For some reason the entrance also seems a little intimidating to the everyday guest which could be alleviated by having someone in regular clothes answering questions or providing some kind of samples. It almost feels like you have to be someone special to enter that building, similar to club 33.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 08-01-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    TSMM and Rocket Rods, one still draws crowds and the other, well we know how that turned out.
    TSMM isn't an E-Ticket either though.

---------- Post added 08-01-2012 at 08:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I'm glad they are considering adding more places to sit down. I was actually surprised on why theydid not add themed benches along the covered walkways of the Carthay theater. I was also surprised to see very little seating areas in the Hollywood area.
    A first-timer I brought to DLR noted that DCA doesn't have any "sit-down attractions" that DL does...by that she meant only in Muppets, "Tough To Be A Bug" and Alladin do you sit the way you do in DL for say, Trains, Tiki, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Lincoln, Cpt. EO, Nemo, Monorail, IASW etc.

...which, by the way, would be another reason to bring back the People-Mover...

But in any case, I thought it was an interesting, fresh comment about DCA that makes it call all the more for additional benches.

Does anyone ever make use of the nice seating areas BELOW Silly Symphony???
    Last edited by vnormth; 08-01-2012 at 12:31 PM.

•   

Another great report, Al. Thanks. I've been to Carthay three times, twice for dinner and once for lunch. The dinner pricing is right there with comparable DLR fine dining locations. Lunch is definitely on the high side-e.g., $22 cheeseburger and fries. Food and service have always been excellent. The goal should be to make this a destination dining spot like the Blue Bayou where it is the highlight meal experience for that park's visit. They will have to come up with something to accomplish that. Good food, alcohol and high prices alone won't get people in. There has to be a WOW factor.
    Leonard
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. I REFUSE!"

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by troyer View Post
    Disappointed that Al seems increasingly inclined to be non-critical of Disney. I note his disclaimer at the bottom of his column that neither columnist Kevin Yee nor Andy Castro have-which only adds to my suspicion that Al's "in-bed" with Disney corporate in some way prejudicing his columns. In the present column Al makes no mention of the near virtual certainty of the Tomorrowland sub's removal due to a brazen profit motive from Disney, as was the case with the transformation of the Penny Arcade into almost completely a candy store with merchandise redundant with the rest of the park-which Al has never complained about. I note that Al no longer complains of the ubiquitous snack carts that flood and disfigure Disneyland. It looks like Al has bought into the post-Walt culture of greed so often seen within Disney Corporate. As I heard another Disney fan exclaim "Disneyland will never be complete as long as there is GREED left in the world."
    If there's any reason why Al has been soft on Disney as of late is the fact that individuals on Micechat have been increasingly critical when he expresses his true opinion because it "offends" them. I sincerely doubt being in bed with Disney has anything to do with it, just look up previous columns where he mentions an inconvenient truth to his viewers and see how they responded. I wouldn't blame Al for not expressing his true feelings, he just gets anger in return for the effort.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 08-01-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast