Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Doombuggy Rider

Re: 7/31: A Tale of Two Parks

Thank you for the update Al -

I am pleased to see that someone in TDA finally realized there is a lack of seating & shade in DCA for Park Guests (that's not the only thing DCA lacks, but I hope TDA pays attention to other details which can improve a Park Guests experience vs. making it a day turned irritating - such as making another Entrance / Exit into the Carsland area?) ....

I'm sure there are many factors which explain why attendance has increased for DCA & decreased for Disneyland (& I wonder if the numbers start that way at opening time & change towards mid-day, or evening). One factor which has kept me from going back to Disneyland / DCA is the increase in park admission (sigh - what happened to the good old days when Corporate Sponsors paid for new Attractions & Rides - & their upkeep - instead of Park Guests?) ....

Disneyland's 60th Anniversary is just around the corner. Tomorrowland needs more tlc then the City of Anaheim does for its current public relations situation (bad police officers leave a negative impression about a City in Orange County which does not deserve it) & PeopleMover (along with a TRON experience) would be welcomed. It pains me to see space wasted between Frontierland & Fantasy when that space could expand both areas (& please don't get me started on Mickey's Toontown - we lost both the Pirate Ship Restaurant & Skull Rock for this? UGH!) ....

Disneyland Maintenance - while I wish whomever was responsible for implementing the new sleds @ the Matterhorn was forced to ride them ad infinitum 'til their shins were bruised & broken (what an epic fail), what about the CAL-OSHA enforced make over of Alice? (will there be a more cohesive change to that ride?) What about Indy ? (I <3 the ride, but its been breaking down too many times & I guess it could use some tlc). How about finally getting rid of Aladdin's Oasis? (a waste of space in Adventureland & it smells like poop over there) Am I the only one who misses the Tahitian Terrace?

C J

Name:  tahitian-menu-art.gif
Views: 286
Size:  12.3 KB

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

• Doombuggy Rider

P.S.

I haven't experienced Buena Vista Street @ DCA; so I figure only time will tell if Carthay Circle Restaurant (& Lounge) offers up a success (or a need to be revised). Like many Disneyland / DCA Park Guests, I stick to a budget & tend to eat before entering either Theme Park (anyone else here remember dining @ Sambo's Restaurant
    on 1100 W. Katella Avenue in Anaheim?); with an occasional treat within the Theme Parks (ie dole whip, homemade fudge); but the reports about a downsized Penny Arcade @ Main Street makes me sad (I guess TDA wants more space to shill merchandise and / or offer another dining experience) ....

Name:  2123377513_bd988cb49f.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  163.3 KB

As for carrying on the traditions started by Walt Disney in honoring Anaheim Cast Members who worked 10, 15, 20 (& more) years ... I applaud anything (& everything) that is done for loyal Employees; but what a disservice this must be when such an event is under budgeted & downsized (& mementos are not delivered on time). I wonder if things would be better off if the Walt Disney Co in Burbank (along with Team Disney Anaheim) would just mail a plaque / statue (or whatever token of appreciation) on time to those Cast Members on their Anniversary with the Company. Then offer said valued Cast Members a Disney 2 Day Holiday @ the Walt Disney Resort - Theme Park of their choice (I come from a Family of former Continental Airline Employees & I have to say even a de-regulated Airline Industry offered more to their Employees on their Anniversaries with the Company then the Walt Disney Co - which is more profitable then any current Airline). I guess if writing to the Walt Disney Co doesn't improve this significant ceremony, then embarrassing them in the media ought to ....

Here's to a future where Park Guests & Cast Members enjoy fun times at Disneyland & Disney California Adventure

C J

Name:  4610007097_872e2eba38.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  185.4 KB

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Wow.... Al slams issues in the park and people attack him over it. Al has some positive things to say about the park and people attack him over it.

Just no making you people happy is there?

Al is no different than any of us in that he has just as much right to make statements based on his opinons, and to change opinions due to various factors....

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I actually found it rather refreshing that Al is acknowledging when he feels that Disney has gotten something RIGHT and isn't afraid to post good news when it occurs, i.e. DCA's new popularity, etc. After reading MANY articles in which Al has beaten DCA into a pulp, the fact that he is now giving Disney a high five for forking out 1.5 billion to fix up a disaster of a park shows his objectivity. Just the fact that you have people bashing him for criticizing Orlando and bashing him for actually posting a positive column on DCA shows, to me anyway, that he is doing his job. Thanks for your update Al. I've spent almost all of my time this Summer in the new DCA and I keep telling myself that this is what they SHOULD have done 10 years ago. Let's hope that TDO will get a clue and do the same for Disney Hollywood Studios. It might not be such a bad idea for the folks over at DHS in Disneyland Paris to do the same as I think they will take on the mantle of "Worst Disney Park" now that DCA has been improved.

Quote Originally Posted by darkamor View Post
    Like many Disneyland / DCA Park Guests, I stick to a budget & tend to eat before entering either Theme Park (anyone else here remember dining @ Sambo's Restaurant on 1100 W. Katella Avenue in Anaheim?); with an occasional treat within the Theme Parks (ie dole whip, homemade fudge); but the reports about a downsized Penny Arcade @ Main Street makes me sad (I guess TDA wants more space to shill merchandise and / or offer another dining experience) ....

Name:  2123377513_bd988cb49f.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  163.3 KB

I used to LOVE eating at Sambos as a kid! I would have sworn it was on Harbor but my sense of direction was a bit off when I was 4 or 5. At the time I had no idea that my parents were trying to save money. All I knew was that those pancakes were amazing.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Al...seriously?

Don't write a headline like that about Tomorrowland if the only information you can give us is that, "it looks like the cat is in the bag!" All of the Tomorrowland information was rehashed past the fact that you think it is more of a sure thing. I mean, I'll be the first to say that I'm overjoyed that you shared the extra tidbit with us, but the way you advertised this article led us all to believe you were going to give us more. And you still haven't said anything recently about the PeopleMover tracks or the Astro Orbitor situation...they have to be included in all of this, right? If WDI is looking critically at Autopia and Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage and for sure demoing Innoventions, then there has to be more.

And please, don't insult the 99% movement, especially when this rioting has nothing to do with it. Maybe you were able to create a job for yourself, but most people in this country are suffering from the bs that is going on in terms of employment and the economy. Times are still incredibly difficult for most Americans. Keep your political comments out of your articles, unless the politics are within the Disney realm.

I generally love reading your articles, and while a lot of people criticize you at every turn for your criticisms (or not doing enough of them now, apparently), I have found the majority of them to be appropriate because you are a journalist writing about Disney and your opinions based on what the company does. But that's where the realm of your discussion needs to stay.

It's a shame that Disney isn't properly celebrating their employees and continuing their past mistakes. I don't think it's such an insult to park in the parking garage (it makes perfect sense to me for the CMs to just ride in on the trams), but they should be getting their awards on time by now, and given better food and drink. They make the magic for guests every day - they deserve to experience some of that magic, too.

I haven't eaten dinner at Carthay Circle yet, but I am very eager to and have visited the lounge a few times. The drinks and appetizers have not disappointed! The place is very expensive, though. If it was a little more affordable I would have eaten upstairs by now. Looking at the menu, my boyfriend didn't appear very enthusiastic - there's a heavy emphasis on seafood, which he doesn't eat save for sushi. I love seafood, but I understand why he's not as excited as I am. We both love the ambiance of the place, though. Shame the service isn't getting good reviews...the last time I dined at Napa Rose, the service wasn't up the snuff either. I'd visited twice before and it had been great. If Disney wants to get on par with fine dining, they have to offer their employees excellent wages and benefits. Walt understood that...
    Last edited by pineapplewhipaddict; 08-02-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Al Said: "It took a few days for the news of the lifted block out to register with everyone up in Burbank, but by the third week in July there were several thousand additional free tickets padding the attendance figures each day. Most of the sign-ins head to Disneyland first, and luckily both parks soaked up the few thousand extra freebies each day without a hiccup."

Actually, I think that many people visiting the resort will head to DCA first in order to experience Carsland before it gets too crowded. THEN they head over to Disneyland.

Of course, the issue with that is that the FIRST PARK entered gets the attendance number. So DCA will get the enhanced numbers even if the guests eventually spend more of their day in Disneyland.

One point: The combined attendance from DCA and Disneyland is close to what the attendance to Disneyland alone used to be on a busy summer day. I think DCA is definitely cannibalizing some level of Disneyland's attendance.

• Dave

Blog Entries

what does TSMM stand for?
    Dave

• revolutionary waltz

Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post
    what does TSMM stand for?
    Toy Story Midway Mania

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by troyer View Post
    A final thought re: Al's totally ignoring the demise of the Penny Arcade. I assume everyone knows that for virtually the entire life of Disneyland, the Penny Arcade has been listed as a Main Street attraction. No more. Check your current Disneyland guidebook. The Penny Arcade is no longer listed among the Main Street attractions-which is appropriate because it obviously no longer is. No doubt due to the lack of profit generated from small currency machines, Corporate Disney in a greedy move simply removed the attraction.(This at a time of record park revenues.)And now we have a candy store with Disney generic candy in its place. Al has never addressed this. In the past I believe he would have. So I'm back to my original suspicion-Al is now "in-bed" with Corporate Disney in some way. So, I guess it's now up to the rest of us to call a spade a spade, and voice our protest when Disney greed trumps quality guest experience. I recommend that the next time any of you are at Disneyland, stop in at guest services and voiced your complaint regarding the Penny Arcade's removal.
    The Penny Arcade has been dead for a long long time. The more recent changes just tidied up the dirt on top of the grave. It's been more a candy store than arcade for ages now. You're really beating a dead horse here.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Doombuggy Rider

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    I used to LOVE eating at Sambos as a kid! I would have sworn it was on Harbor but my sense of direction was a bit off when I was 4 or 5. At the time I had no idea that my parents were trying to save money. All I knew was that those pancakes were amazing. [/FONT][/SIZE][/LEFT]
    [/FONT]
    Hey Mac Daddy

Well, SAMBO's was on the corner of W. Katella Ave & S. West St (across the street from the Anaheim Convention Center) & that was just 1/2 a block west of S. Harbor Blvd (I guess depending on the direction you were coming from. Harbor Blvd would be an accurate benchmark)... yeah, those pancakes (& their desserts - mmm I'm getting hungry (lol) ...

Name:  card00501_fr.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  82.5 KB

Name:  anaheimSambos1.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  19.7 KB

Name:  anaheimSambos2.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  24.0 KB

I personally don't see a reason to bash Al ... I'll always view MiceChat @ a place where Walt Disney Theme Park Fans can agree, or disagree, & offer their opinions freely (so long as they are not personal attacks against each other). I feel we suffered enough during the Eisner era (ie whenever I see something wrong @ Disneyland that wasn't fixed properly and / or is broken down beyond repair? I cal it an "eisner" (lol) & having a place like this allows for compliments & criticism in a way (that I hope) the Walt Disney Co. would pay attention to (let's face it, if you offered a critic on their official blog it would A) never get posted & B) would immediately be removed). I'm also grateful for the coverage of "other theme parks" and / or "water parks" (you can practically plan a vacation here & get good tips / suggestions on how to improve your theme park moments) ... While I'm taking a break from Disneyland / DCA, I plan on returning for the 60th Anniversary of Disneyland (hopefully by then, most of the minor complaints will have been dealt with & there may be some new Rides / Attractions to enjoy). Whew, I could use a Ferrell's Ice Cream Parlor right now (Las Vegas could use one but Coldstone's Ice Cream will have to do) ....

Name:  vintage_05.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  113.3 KB

C J

• Banned User

If criticisms of Disney Corporate greed trumping quality guest experience
    (or as Steve Jobs put it "Brand withdrawals trumping brand deposits")are no longer expressed on Miceage, then Miceage's stated purpose as being a "different look at Disney" becomes preposterous. Perhaps a new, more appropriate title for the site would be "Miceage-A Disney Corporate newsletter."
    I don't get the increasing vitriolic complaints about Al and also Disney.

Maybe there are less perceived complaints from Al is because Disney is fixing things. Yeah, that $1 Billion goes a long way.

As for Disney, if you don't like Disney's profit motive, there's nothing you can do about it. It is a for profit corporation that worked quite well for decades.

I really don't see how Al and Disney are in bed in any sense. Do you really think Al's coverage is so soft? I don't think so.

As for the Penny Arcade, Tomorrowland, and submarines, they are all declining parts of Disneyland that needs improvement. There's no need to beat this subject to death.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I've always enjoyed the quaint
    machines. I guess you disagree and prefer Disney generic candy displays over authentic antiques. Well to each his own.
    Ehh.. no - I prefer it when it used to be filled with actual penny game machines.

But that is long long gone. So when the latest rehab reorganized the candy story even more.. I wasn't screaming about the Penny Arcade. It's been a candy store first and foremost for a long time. The machines at that point had been reduced to simple decoration.

Am I evil? yes, I am

•   

Micechaters- lighten up. Al does a good job of presenting his view of what Disney is doing. For a long time Disney was mostly going in the wrong direction. Now that they have started to do some things right and Al acknowledges that, he gets attacked for being a corporate hack. At the end of the day it is Al's opinion, one that he has earned the right to present.
    Leonard
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. I REFUSE!"

Why are they getting rid of the subs and the Penny Arcade anyway?
    The subs are amazing and personally I love the old-timey atmosphere of the Penny Arcade. Yeah sure the Penny Arcade may not be a main attraction but it's another one of those fun little extras. It gives insight on an older side of Disney that newer generations don't know of. Why not continue to share old Disney history. I mean come on, it's not totally non-profit, if that's the whole "declining part of Disney" issue. Look at these other attractions, I don't recall having to pay to meet one of the Disney characters or pay to go on a ride. So money shouldn't even be the dilemma. And I agree with troyer in that it shouldn't solely be about the money, it should be about the guests; it's not like it'll be some sort of set back to guests... you go in, you look around-- hey you might even learn something-- and boom you just visited one of the attractions. Nobody is gonna leave saying they had a bad time so it's no disadvantage to the people.
    And the subs, well I'm not sure why they want to rid of that... I thought the subs were pretty popular.
    Overall I just think it's a shame they want to replace the subs and the Penny Arcade...
    Has nobody taken into consideration the opinions of Disneyland veterans, those who have loved and practically lived at Disneyland since childhood? For those who have been visiting Disneyland for pretty much their entire life, these "renovations" are like pulling up the planks from beneath their feet.
    If new attractions are soo desperately needed why not just make more space? I know, easier said that done, but Disneyland is a popular freakin place, and with such world wide popularity you know for darn sure there is plenty of dough coming in. Why not expand rather than demolish? Why must it be out with the old and in with the new?
    Please Al, keep the subs and the Penny Arcade!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Yes-the change was gradual(I believe deliberately)so folks-apparently like you-wouldn't notice or care
    No, we cared - we just cared YEARS ago and aren't harping on Al now for focusing on news from so long ago in his columns dedicated to new happening NOW.

Maybe you should he hounding him over the loss of Skull Rock.. he hasn't been giving that decent coverage either..

Am I evil? yes, I am

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast