Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/31: A Tale of Two Parks

Tomorrowland targeted, Attendance changes, Orlando Dunces... Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: A Tale of Two Parks. Al Lutz's Disneyland Update, MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: 7/31: A Tale of Two Parks

I have heard a few rumors about a makeover for DHS - here's hoping something actually comes from them. The park needs some TLC and new attractions!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Why don't the corporate "green" folks push for "air curtains" to be installed over the doorways? These are used a lot in Minnesota where our hot, muggy summers and cold winters cause a dilemma of air rushing out of the building, even with vestibules installed.

My gym has one of these over the sliding automatic doors; essentially they push a strong current of heated or cooled air down over a doorway to create a "barrier" that doesn't allow conditioned air to seep out as quickly as it normally would.

They also work great at keeping our State Bird -- the mosquito -- OUT.

• Hukuna Matata!

Great reporting as always Al, Love the attendance tracker and pictures of old and new DCA. Thank you for all that you do

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Dissapointing lack of actual Tomorrowland news after being a headline =/

Other than that good stuff
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Banned User

The hiring of new staff at Carthay Circle isn't enough. They need to have better management who knows fine dining. Anyways, I wonder why they don't utilize the wait staff at the other fine dining restaurants. There are several locations to choose from that has excellent service like the Blue Bayou and the Napa Rose. The idea that you will convince someone that works in Newport or Laguna to transfer to DCA is laughable. There is no job stability in the service industry. If someone is doing well where they are, they should stay unless Disney can make an offer they can't refuse, which is unlikely.

Looking forward to new stuff at DHS. Perhaps it is time to rethink the tram ride. Dump it for a new elaborate E-Ticket. They should also dump the fake Studios theming. Just make it a "Hollywood Adventure".

Disneyland is uncrowded because of the price increases. Make it cheaper for locals, please.

• some assembly required

It is nice to see some numbers... even if they cannot be verified. It's even nicer to know that the numbers are spreading more evenly between the two parks and that overall #s are up.

As for the corporate mentality of rubberized chicken buffets, I have been dealing with this all my working life. One would hope Disney did better when it came to awards, but those CMs are in the same boat as many of us.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

•   
    • Minion

From the moment it was announced, I thought that having Carthay Circle Theater become a Restaurant was a mistake - a minor one, but a mistake none the less - They should have kept it a One Man's Dream like attraction. For various reasons. What is the focal point of the park is emblematic of who you are - apparently the message here is Food is the park's attraction. Obviously this was to cater to the "what if Cars land doesn't work - we could always use it as a place for Disneylander's parkhop and eat" mentality... TDA/Glendale/WDI? Oh, ye of little faith...

I'm excited to find out about the new rides coming to Tommorowland. Here's hoping they decide to create a brand new one of a kind ride that challenges the concept and ideas of the Imagineers rather than going for existing franchises. I wouldn't mind if they did do that for a ride (TRON?) but Disneyland hasn't received an original ride idea in years. It would be nice to see one that is on par with the creativity of the old classics Walt Disney dreamed up.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    From the moment it was announced, I thought that having Carthay Circle Theater become a Restaurant was a mistake - a minor one, but a mistake none the less - They should have kept it a One Man's Dream like attraction. For various reasons. What is the focal point of the park is emblematic of who you are - apparently the message here is Food is the park's attraction. Obviously this was to cater to the "what if Cars land doesn't work - we could always use it as a place for Disneylander's parkhop and eat" mentality... TDA/Glendale/WDI? Oh, ye of little faith...
    I would have to disagree with you here. The focal point of Magic Kingdom in Florida is Cinderella's Castle which also hosts a restaurant, but it does well. The issue isn't that it's a restaurant, the issue is the demographic they're trying to encourage to eat there. A family of four is going to be more inclined to spend money at Ariel's Grotto because of the character dining then a fine dining experience.
    Jeff Wayne

The organized protest movement thus far has also shown a clear misunderstanding of how to make the most impact to the resort, as they mass in small numbers on the Harbor Blvd. sidewalk during the middle of the day when tourists on modest budgets staying in Harbor Blvd. motels (definitely the 99% demographic there) have already arrived inside the parks.
    Huh??? The 99% demographic?? It's not an Occupy Movement protest! It's against the Anaheim Police Dept. over, allegedly, police violence.

Anyway, I have to agree with Wren. With a headline like the one Al used, I was expecting more than a re-hash of already known information.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Doombuggies.com Member

If the Disney MGM Studios suits are looking for ideas for things to remove from the park, might I suggest the dang Sorcerer's Hat. Show me the Chinese Theater!

And yes, I still call it the Disney MGM Studios.
    When asked his opinion of Disney’s California Adventure, John Hench, 65-year Disney veteran and the official portrait artist for Mickey Mouse, reportedly said, “I liked it better as a parking lot."

I am a little confused about the analysis of the change in attendance patterns. The assumption seems to be that the new DCA is so great (which it may be) and thus the big shift in attendance from Disneyland to DCA. Nowhere is it mentioned the much more obvious fact (at least to me) that now both parks open at the same time which was not true in summers past where the comparison in numbers is made. Last year, if Joe Tourist arrived in the esplanade at 9:00am he only had one park to enter. Today that same tourist may choose either park based on which has the shorter entry line for example. I'm just not sure why everyone is so surprised by the change and the explanation seems a little incomplete.

POP QUIZ: When was the last new E-ticket attraction added to either DLR park? (ST2 wasn't "new" and Nemo and Mermaid aren't E-tickets.)

So why is anyone at TDA surprised that the first click masses have shifted to DCA? As good as Racers is (and it really is), the attendance effect it has will subside just as Indy's and ST2's did and this feel-good "now both parks are equally good" trend in sentiment will evaporate and it will resume pre-Cars Land patterns (although I hope still with higher combined attendance).

dlandfanrsb is spot on about the effect of the revised opening hours too.

A more realistic metric TDA should use is a snapshot data-feed of wait times from both parks' attraction information boards taken at 10am, noon, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm and 10pm each day. I strongly suspect that the lopsided attendance information Al cites here would show nowhere near the same total shift away from DL toward DCA. Anybody here have a photo of the DL board last summer???

@cellarhound: you hit the nail on the head. Who on earth seeks a 4 or 5 star dining experience as part of their day in a theme park? Hot and sweaty, drenched from GRR, dressed-down et cetera to mix with formal dining??? That's why Napa Rose works well...it's not inside the park. Even Club 33 is a delightful hassle which requires cramming formal clothes into tiny lockers or leaving the park to change attire...but Club 33 is worth it because it's such a core Walt Disney experience. Carthay Circle? Not so much.

MY BET: By 2020 they'll do something very different with this building...even 1901 will be significantly revised.
    Last edited by vnormth; 07-31-2012 at 01:12 PM.

As others have said, these "surprising" numbers are nothing for TDA OR TDO to get nervous or excited about. Attendance is up resort-wide. The reasons for Disneyland's decreased numbers are 1. higher prices, 2. the fact that both parks open at the same time, and 3. the fact that most guests start at DCA now because it has the newest rides. There's nothing mind boggling about this. Wait until Halloween and Christmas pass and we'll see DL's numbers rebound - especially when SoCal passholders return.

DHS has some great elements but it's by no means a full day park. I fear, though, that they will gut the Great Movie Ride rather than upgrade it, which will be a HUGE loss. Trying not to think about it for now.

My first thought was that this was the perfect time to bring the Electrical Parade back - here's hoping it actually happens.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast