Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: 9/18: The Party's Over

I'm glad to hear that the GAC program is going to be improved upon...I think it's going to be tricky, though, so the best of luck to them. But, coming from the guest perspective, while I don't need a GAC, I visit the parks often enough with people that do, and if you go as a large family or have a reunion with friends at the Happiest Place on Earth, the amount of guests that can accompany the GAC guest can be an issue.

Last December 11 of us (my friends and I) went to the park to celebrate our annual holiday party. One of my closest friends can't walk for long periods of time due to a really awful health condition, so we knew she'd be riding in a wheelchair and getting a GAC. Originally we were to be a group of 12, and the 12th person would have needed a GAC as well due to a recent motorcycle accident. I had factored therefore that we could all wait in line together...but at the last minute the 12th person pulled out and as a result we had to split our party up right from the get-go, which upset everyone. The only attraction that we all got to ride together on was Pirates of the Caribbean - we didn't wait in line together, but were close enough to getting to a boat at the same time that the cast members helped us out (we didn't ask until we saw each other from across the way). Maybe CMs would have helped us out on other attractions too, but we didn't want to cause any problems. I don't think that the GAC line should get clogged up by large groups, but I wish there was a way to still get everyone to at least ride together

The issue with RSR is awful - really abusive to the system. Don't people care at all that there are other people on vacation that want to ride too? Why can't they enjoy the rest of the resort as well? Yeesh.

I'm glad they are finally going ahead with the Main Street addition. We desperately need it! I'll be happy to stay along that way and AWAY from the parade.

Taking away the holiday party stinks (the coupon book is just insulting) - and I agree with flynnibus, the Anaheim execs probably wanted the party gone as well. That's not surprising - they probably think that it is beneath them, which is a real shame. Corporate culture is depressing. This decision was made solely out of greed.

But hearing what WDW employees get over DLR's? That just makes this 50x worse! DLR CMs should totally be getting those types of perks as well! They deserve a nice daycare center and health center! There really isn't room for a whole water resort, but they could at least get a nice pool and a little rec center maybe. If CMs had these sort of things, maybe then the turnover rate wouldn't be as high because they would be getting taken care of so that they could actually stay working at DLR. These people work very hard and deserve far more respect from everyone.

And as for Candelight - Disney is nuts if they honestly think they can make these kids perform that often without any real compensation, especially in the month of December. I say that they should not only be giving them tickets, but performer's pay and a stipend for gas and food. Disney is going to be making tons of cash off of Candelight and they were the ones foolish enough to make such a dramatic change without enough notice. If they'd thought ahead, they could have contacted other schools to pick up other performances and no one would have been upset. But what's done is done - they need to own up to their poor decision-making and fix it for this year.

And they are dreaming if they think that they can get away with cutting down December days for special holiday events. The public will throw a fit over here and it will be a public relations nightmare. There is a limit - there is always a limit.

•   
    • Ralzap

Shame on anyone that uses a fake diability to get to the head of a line. My guess is that most who use it are real.
    Main St. adds are cool. A++++
    Tomorrowland is a joke now. Star Wars and Space Mt. are the only rides that should exist in 2 years.
    New Prices have me on the edge of not renewing
    Please add more to frontierland.

I don't care what anyone says. Al Lutz updates are fun and stand up to time.
    Great Job Al. I wish to meet you some day...
    Ralzap

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Candlelight: So in essence, Disney is going to perform the candlelight ceremony in town square and not at the refurbished Fantasyland theater? Hello, traffic at the Main Street Freeway.

Alleyway: I'm going to love this when it comes.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• A Weather Eye Open

I know we learned about this weeks and week ago, but my mouth is still agape. 40 Candlelight performances was the worst idea in the world, obviously. Has anyone mentioned that this will decrease the parade viewing area? The Christmas parade usually circles the square, except when the equipment and stage are all set up. One year it DID still circle the square (ha), except a huge swath of viewing area and walkway/sidewalk was not at all available. And what about the Disneyland Railroad?? Not only can they not interrupt the ceremony with trains, the entire stage BLOCKS Main Street Station. Will they be able to run at all?
    Every year Candlelight weekend makes an absolute MESS of the town square and train station, why would they want this all month? Extending into some of the busiest days of the year? Some idiot who wants to sell tickets clearly didn't check with the operations folks to even ask if it would be something the park could handle logistically.

In relation to this article, while I agree that an alley for Main Street is a smart idea, I find it VERY IRONIC that it wouldn't be able to help at all with this new Candlelight mess they are creating for themselves, as it will dump the crowds directly into the town square. HA!

As for the Cast party... There are no words for how awful that is.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Oh thank you for explainig what WAC was. When I was there in August I saw MANY family fathers pulling out that paper and taking up to 5 people with them.

I was confused what that was, now I know.

I don't know how you get them but wouldn't it be wise if you like needed a document from a doctor that tells you have some sort of condition? Or you just have to "act" and get lucky? wow. This is awful.

At least they should strict it down to 2 people. I understand that as a family or friends you want to be together all the time but I just don't think it's fair to the other guests. I think it's a great service generally just not fair.

I took the single rider line many times at RSR, eventhough I wanted to share it with my friend. I still enjoyed it alot cause in the end you don't really pay much attention to the person sitting next to you as you enjoy the ride, so a group CAN split.

While I was waiting in the single rider line I had at least 4 (x 5) person pulling out the WAC so I had to wait longer.

Opening weekend of Haunted Mansion Holiday, probably 1/3 of each stretching room group was GACs (you could tell because they were letting in equal numbers from the 2 standby lines and the GAC line). I would consider that a statistically improbably proportion of people with GACs.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayGuru three weeks ago
    Actually, I think this is in preparation for making Christmas a separate ticket event like Halloween. Disney has found another way to sell one day's admission for the price of two.
    Called it!
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

I never even heard of GAC before now. Shows what I know.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by SueinSac View Post
    The choirs at Candelight at WDW are made of up kids that practice for months and save up money to bring their school choir to WDW. There must be hundreds of choirs in CA that would love to do the same thing at DL.
    Same thing at Disneyland. The cast member choir is the core of the group and each night a number of different high school choirs participate.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Space Mountain Fanboy

WTF? I get bouts of claustrophobia from time to time (yes, even while waiting in line) but it never once occurred to me to ask for special front-of-the-line privileges because of it. And I'm not going to either because I'm not a elitist who thinks I'm better than everybody else or needs special treatment. I disrespect greatly those who would use these issues to take advantage of the system. This is simply disgusting.

• Disney fan

I'd be willing to pay $12 for the photo book and send the "free" one back as a message to Disney to focus on something besides selling the park to those of us who are already sold and giving an "atta-boy/girl" to CMs.

• World Famous Gold Mickey

They just raised the Pass Holder Prices Big time and now they want to charge extra to see the Christmas Prade and Fireworks. Thay have already done away with the Pass Holder Sales. Pay More for your Pass and now get even less. Maybe in the future all fireworks and shows like Fantasmic will be an upcharge event. At least for Halloween that used to be free you get candy and get to wear a costume inside Disneyland.

• Some imagination, huh?

I'll miss reading your alt texts, Al!

• Disney friends are #1

No photobook in my mailbox yet.
    One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    love how Al always refers to Orlando as the borg... nameless.. faceless.. but responsible for total destruction.

Let's face it.. how many layers are there really between the DLR President role and the head of P&R? If George K were to fight this, he wouldn't be swamped in people who couldn't really make an authorative decision. How come he can't take this right to Tom Staggs?

I know bOrgLando is Al's favorite scapegoat.. but I find it hard to believe Anaheim's execs couldn't go right to the boss over this if they wanted to.
    agreed. This is not TDO pressure but TDA doing it on its own accord. Also... the health clinics and the party pavillions at the "beach club" LOL are not free. Seriously, calling Mickey's Retreat a beach club is a bit of an exaggeration. Standard city park would be more like it. Its nice, but its no beach club. And like the medical clinic, cast cannot host a party for free.

again.... NOT FREE.

FACT... the health clinic is the same price as off property. But is open 365 days a year and due to having the built in pharmacy, is one stop shopping. It charges the same rates as going to your own doctor. Come on Al.... some very basic research would have revealed this.

If Al is not researching that, at wonder what are fact in his "news" are really just his style of story telling.

---------- Post added 10-01-2012 at 05:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Huh?

I loved Carsland but didn't buy anything. If they had stocked the stores with more Carsland specific merchandise, it would have been a license to print money in the excitement following the opening of Carsland.

The end of Disneyland's employee Christmas party is a big deal. Al's column might be quoted in big national publications as this is an interesting story, and I'm glad that Al is reporting what is going on behind the scenes.

Which Carsland did you go to, because the one I was at had tons of Carsland specific merch. All the stores were stock with Cars AND Carlands specific merch. You remind me of the person that once described the dark ride portion of RSR as "Painted flats".
    Last edited by Kidgenie; 10-01-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast