• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

3/18: Ice Capade

"Ice Princess" debuts at the El Capitan with a Spring Break Skating Party. Sue takes a look at both, and you can discuss her viewpoint on them here.
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    Howdy Sue,
    Nice column, as usual. One question: Do you think that Disney's use of the word "Princess" will hurt this film and limit its audience to just little girls? I for one, decided that I wasn't interested in the film solely based upon its name.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    Howdy Sue,
    Nice column, as usual. One question: Do you think that Disney's use of the word "Princess" will hurt this film and limit its audience to just little girls? I for one, decided that I wasn't interested in the film solely based upon its name.

-Dusty
    Yes, I agree Dusty. So do my fellow CMs. We have had this preview on our DVD for quite some time and we all think it looks like it could be a good film, but a bad title. Hopefully the girls won't mind it and this won't hurt too much. I love this little event though! I wish I could go even though I can't ice skate to save my life! ;/ Thanks for the info. The kids are cute.

• Old Timer

The name threw me off as well, sounds like a good movie, not a great movie mind you but a decent Disney movie.
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• MiceAge Columnist

Howdy Sue,

-Dusty
    I think Disney is over-using the word Princess just in general. And it's certainly possible that the title will limit the audience somewhat. I know that before I saw the film, I was kind of dreading having to see it and the title had something to do with that. I'm really sick of all the princess stuff and the notion that all little girls want to be princesses. I think that is a sterotype that does a disservice. What about the cowgirls and space explorers? But, I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed the film. And yeah, it's not a great movie, but it is a good one.

As for limiting the audience to just little girls, it's my thought that that is the target audience anyway, especially after seeing what is set up for the skating party at El Cap. Most teenagers will probably be bored, but then again it depends on the kid. And most definitely, the film is not intended for boys, although once again, depends on the kid (but I really can't see a boy sitting through it voluntarily).

• Gift Giver Extraordinare

Brian Boitano's in it! How can anyone resist? "That's what Brian Boitano'd do!"

• Still wants to be a cat!

I'll be going, just because it should be a great Mother/Daugher flick....don't think Hubby will be interested in this one! Thanks for the review.....might just enjoy it.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Earth Intruder

One question: Do you think that Disney's use of the word "Princess" will hurt this film and limit its audience to just little girls?
    Hey, us gay men like the word "princess" too, goofball.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Minion

There are a huge number of people who follow figure skating competitions (many of them men) and thousands of boys who are enrolled in figure skating classes so I think this film might have a wider audience than you think. Granted, I think the title is deplorable...enough of the "princess" stuff. You'd think Disney has enough legitimate Princesses in its repertoire.

You wrote an honest and very good review of the film and I agree that the El Capitain is the place to see anything! I knew it well before the Disney restoration when it was a draped, plain Jane auditorium. Dr. Zhivago played there for almost two years as a reserved seat film and then Dr. Doolittle and many others. Always been a first run house but thankfully, Disney removed all the cosmetic cover-up and restored it to its former glory.

• Lurker Extraordinaire

My wife and I, aged 36 and 35 with no kids, loved this movie. We saw it on our way back from Disneyland on Saturday. I don't think the title will really turn people off, unless they're expecting "The Princess Diaries" on ice, which this certainly is not.
    I think word of mouth will help support this movie and it will hopefully enjoy a long theatrical run (but not too long, we want the DVD sooner rather than later! ;-)