Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver
    These little minor tweaks and changes very much fit a new model for Disneyland where the local guests are taking over, and Annual Passholders dominate. ...It doesn't seem to fit the prior model of Disneyland where they opened big new attractions every two years. I think that's just a consequence of the shift in tourism away from So Cal to places like Orlando and Las Vegas. ...
    It's not a bad thing that they're changing the Leota effect at all. ... It's just a shame that these little things are so blown out of proportion now, and become cause to renew an AP. Maybe the real problem is that folks go so often they just end up getting bored with the classics like Pirates and Haunted Mansion and want to see them changed so they have something new to do.
    I agree. I think you really have focused on the problems inherent in Disneyland's past motives for show upgrades and operations. And since I am not an AP but split my time between two coasts, I can especially appreciate your observations.

Hopefully, Disneyland wil adopt its prior business model and start generating new exciting rides which open every year, alternating between the Disneyland and DCA parks, instead of diluting creative energy into minor upgrades and sho changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno
    If Matt were to close the park for a FEW weekdays, send in enough workers and camera crew to invade a small nation. I mean, the publicity! This huge undertaking for the 50th Anny and we all know how well Reality TV suckers in viewers. ... I know this will never happen, buuuuut it is kinda fun to toy with the idea. Any thoughts?
    Theres your pitch... Disneyland meets ExtremeMakeover. This is more than just slapping fresh paint on buildings. Everyone I know who loves Disneyland's history, loved the story and excitement surrounding the parks development every week on the Wonderful World of Disney- and that was Reality TV. This additional spin on Disneyland's 50th ExtremeMakeover could really be fun.

So close it for two weekdays.... thats big news alone. Have hourly updates on the Disneychannel and special programs on ABC and the Family channel. I see the possiblity for lots of publicity, tons of cross promotions and millions of product tie-ins.
    Last edited by mamabot; 01-20-2005 at 09:18 PM. Reason: fixed the quote code

• Mad about the Mouse

I agree on several points.
    1. Excited for Leota. I think if Walt had the technology (maybe he did, maybe he didn't) to float her head, versus the whole table, and still keep her face "on" he would've done it. I'm excited

2. Tomorrowland, I think it should be about what we envion the future to be. For example, do we envision using gas powered cars or electric ones? Will there be more efficient ways of moving around? Things may be more streamlined. I mean really. Look at all the "futuristic" movies coming out. Cars with no wheels that hover. Things are more metalic than painted. Everything looks like it is stainless steel or something. I'm not saying this is how TL should be or that these things are all possible. Just somehow make it more futuristic. I am excited to see the "alleged" (I'm not sure if it is concrete or not) paint scheme. Maybe get rid of the baby poop? :o

3. Splash Mountain. I think the seating arrangement is like that for weight distribution. The first thing I thought of was that they couldn't get the dummies to fit on the little narrow "seat" running the length of the logs, so they had to turn them sideways. It is unshowman-like to even THINK that they would make you sit sideways!

4. The three mounts, Melvin, Buff and ???, from CBJ are in Pooh. I can't say the exact location, because I was turned around the entire ride until I saw them. I want to say they are just after the heffalump room? Then there's the hidden Mickey... It would be nice to bring CBJ back though. I loved that show!

Once again Al, thanks for the superb update. Thanks for the description of our breakfasts and the captions you put in the pictures (those are my faves). So good to have you back!

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by jennimarie
    4. The three mounts, Melvin, Buff and ???
    Max.

• Rock Star Minion

The old business model did not include an AP program to the extreme detriment it now is.
    The old business model counted on locals to fill the park in the offseason via heavy discounts for a less than full experience (lots of refurbishing going on). Not during the summer. Not during winter holiday. Not during Spring Break.
    The old business model relied upon gate entrance fees to drive every line on the income statement. Not food. Not VIP seatings. Not low-cost, high-volume merchandise. Not retail rent income.

Just a thought. Maybe that's what's changed. Pressler embraced it, and that was a crime against the park.

•   
    • Minion

First off, thanks Al for the updates... I really enjoy them when I can't see the changes in the park myself...

A few things I have noticed this last week:

1. I noticed that the rafts to Tom Sawyer are up and running again... I don't know when they started back up...

2. One thing of interest that happened in the park today was a film crew was filming a Pin Trading stand down in front of The Walt Disney Story/Mr. Lincoln area... I am assuming that this is for some promo... But what???? (Sorry didn't have my camera with me... Rats...)

3. I was a little concerned when I rode the Big Thunder and the lap restraint went up 2 seconds before the train came to a complete stop... Is this ride safe??? (I am getting worried...) It also looks like they tweeked the ride in the blasting area... But I don't know for certain...

4. They roped off some of the Mickey's in the touring display since the rain... apparently people have been picking at some of them and they are getting damaged...

5. This is a little off topic, but I thought it was of interest... I saw a TV spot a couple of days ago and there was a segment on habits of successful managers... (For the life of me I can't remember where I saw it, or if it was a network or not...) But it refered to one of our favorite managers, yup THE Paul Pressler... Apparently there is a website out there where they have pictures of him learning how every job at the Gap is done... And it caught the eye of this busness writer... Knowing the legacy of his work with Disneyland, I found this more a bit ironic... (My first reaction was, I hope he finally learns how to paint...)

Splash Mountain - Good thing! Extra seat in the boat means higher capacity.

Haunted Mansion - Good thing! I'm all about updating technology and adding new effects.

Subs - Conflicted. Can't see it being realized. If they can do it, and do it well, it would be awesome. But just seems there's too much red tape to get through.. and can't see the bean counters ultimately giving it the thumbs up. I wonder if its possible to ultimately rebuild the sub fleet... for higher capacity, easier loading, etc. I mean, those things have GOT to be in terrible disrepair... Why not just start from scratch?

Space Mountain - Of course this will be an awesome thing if they could get it up sooner... espcially cause I'll be there in July and it would be nice to have another high capacity ride open to soak up some of the huge crowds!

Okee... enough of my cray rambling for now...

• boo!

new here

Hi everyone... I'm new here as well and I've been a fan of Disneyland for years and years. I've had annual passports off and on over that time, and I've shared my love of Disney with my three little sisters.

I just wanted to thank Al, et al for the fantastic information that is available here. You've now been bookmarked, and I can't wait to read the next updates. I will be at the park this weekend with my little sis... Should be fun!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rainfully
    Space Mountain - Of course this will be an awesome thing if they could get it up sooner... espcially cause I'll be there in July and it would be nice to have another high capacity ride open to soak up some of the huge crowds!

Okee... enough of my crazy rambling for now...
    It won't soak up huge crowds, since it will have FastPass. There will be more milling about in Tomorrowland, maybe in Innoventions.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456