• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

2/3: Bella Notte - Lady and the Tramp opening night

Sue attends the opening night for a restored "Lady and the Tramp" at the El Capitan Theater. Could there be a renewed spirit in the air? Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Minion

Re: 2/3: Bella Notte - Lady and the Tramp opening night

Thanks for the report, Sue. I would especially love to see this film in a theater once again.

Having used the Cinemascope process it really demands to be seen projected on a very large screen to appreciate the full beauty of it. Just as the only way to get the full experience of Sleeping Beauty is to see it in 70mm.

• FastPass n00b

I would've loved to have seen how the Beaver did the whistle voice. One of my favorite parts of the movie is how they always gave the Beaver the most "S" words that could fit into a sentence...much like what modern Hollywood writers do with Sean Connery.

"Sixty-six percent"...CLASSIC!

Well I really enjoyed that panel discussion. It was a wonderful event. For the most part, the panel speakers really knew how to talk on a panel, which often times is not the case.

As for the question "Could there be a renewed spirit in the air?". Well the panel sure radiated it. But the real answer I got the night before when taking to someone in the animation department over at disney... They are really really excited about the changes. The answer is absolutely yes, there is a renewed spirit over there.

• Busa Simba Busa Simba Yo!

I thought the whole event was wonderful last night. I arrived later than I would have liked to due to work and LA traffic, but made it there just in time to hear the last of the organ songs. That is one of my favorite things about the atmosphere at the El Capitan and make an effort to get there early to listen to the Disney songs. The panel was excellent. Andreas had wonderful drawings, that I could have sworn he said he found some at an auction! I couldn't believe it. You'd think most of these would be in the Disney archives. I just wish there had been a question and answer period. I would love to have known if Andreas has moved over to computer animation, since the hand drawn animation that he was so involved in is now defunct. Sounds like he's still employed by Disney, but I'd like to know more about what he's working on these days.

It's always great to see Richard Sherman. We saw him last year at the Hollywood Bowl and then shortly there after on our Disney Cruise we took to Mexico. We even saw him and his wife leaving Hollywood and Highland as we were headed back to our car in the structure.

The movie looked beautiful on the big screen. Wide screen, gorgeous colors, masterfully cleaned up. Hearing about the Cinemascope process was very interesting. Definitely worth a trip to Hollywood. The spaghetti and sundae next down were just perfect. The ice cream shoppe/store manager was on duty last night checking in with everyone, especially on how we liked the new sundae, as it was it's premiere night too and only available for two weeks.

Overall, what a treat! I'd never been to one of the panel night screenings at the El Capitan, and even though it's tough to get there on a week night, I would definitely make an effort to do it again.

• insufferable know-it-all

I believe the answer to Sue's question is "Dinah."

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    I believe the answer to Sue's question is "Dinah."
    Nope, sorry Morrigoon. Dinah is not the name of Pluto's girlfriend.

• Minion

>>Nope, sorry Morrigoon. Dinah is not the name of Pluto's girlfriend.<<

Pluto did indeed have a dacshund girlfriend named Dinah in later color cartoons.

However, Pluto's cocker spaniel girlfriend in the black and white and early color classics was named Fifi.

•   
    • Minion

To quote the March Hare: "Who's Dinah?"
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    However, Pluto's cocker spaniel girlfriend in the black and white and early color classics was named Fifi.

Yes! Fifi is the name I was looking for, she is Pluto's girlfriend in "Puppy Love"

• Disneyland Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    I would've loved to have seen how the Beaver did the whistle voice. One of my favorite parts of the movie is how they always gave the Beaver the most "S" words that could fit into a sentence...much like what modern Hollywood writers do with Sean Connery.

"Sixty-six percent"...CLASSIC!
    I have video of Mr. Freberg reciting his lines with the whistle from the panel if you are interested. It can be found here...

http://www.mouseinfo.com/forums/show...=30666&garpg=6
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Pressed Penny Collector

Thank you so much for the article. I was able to go and purchase tickets, and we went and saw the Saturday noon showing. (My first time going to the El Capitan, too.) It was fantastic, and the restoration is absolutely gorgeous!