Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted T
    I do think that when the two major new attractions open at TDS it will be an even tighter competition and as I mentioned in the article, I would not be surprised to see TDS overtake DL in the near future.
    Ted
    Actually, this IMHO depends on what happens with Igber and CM Matt.
    From what's already happened in DL for the 50th, I have no doubt that Matt can bring
    DL back. Now how far he can bring it back depends on how much fund
    he can draw on from Disney Corporate. But we've heard rumors of how
    Matt has been very creative (such as scaling down the CM party) to find
    funds. So my money is on DL coming back big time. (Nemo overlay subs
    coming back, another rumored attraction)

And as we know, DL has/had a huge head start with the tradition. Just a little
    bit more effort on the food (which isn't totally fair since much of the food emphasis
    went to Downtown Disney) which TDR doesn't have (yet) can really bring DL up
    (although I doubt if it can overtake TDS in that category).

Thanks for the articles though. You should do another after HKDL is up.
    (although if the rumors are true, it won't even make it in the running).
    Or the rumored SKDL (South Korea Disneyland). :-)
    BTW. I'll believe that when they start construction... :-)

• Ted T
    I have received a lot of e-mail about a topic brought up here as well... which RESORT is best.

Well, that may be a topic for another series but remember, I am dealing with only individual PARKS, as if they live in total isolation. My guess is that Walt Disney World would likely easily win the best resort competition, I mean no other grouping of parks is going to come close to the four parks, 2 water parks giant Down Town Disney area and so on... it would just win on scale alone. Interestingly any individual WDW park would lose to say Tokyo Disney Sea but combined they create a pretty tough nut to crack.

I also agree that much of this comes down to personal taste ( I mean this is not science here, just opinons) and a lot of your personal preferences come from what you grew up with. I bet a person from tokyop has a natural tendancy to think fondly of Tokyo Disneyland and therefore may find that to be the best. I have had lost of e-mail from European fans voicing how much they love "their" park and so on. I have been to all the parks many times and though WDW parks were what I grew up visiting the most I do not feel a particular fondness for one over the other (Though on a subconcious level I probably do have one). I tried to look at these things as objectively as possible... really compare each park catagory for catagory and try not to let personal taste be involved. I also had as many people as I could find fill out a survey of what they felt about the parks they had visited... this all went into the final outcome.

Disneyland can not compete with Tokyo Disney Sea in terms of scale and scope and the master plan and all of that, it just is not in the same league. HOWEVER that is like saying that a new car with fancy traction control and airbags and all of that is automaticaly better than say a 1963 Porsche... bigger and fancier and newer are not always better (though sometimes they are!).

The bottom line is that this is comparing two exceptional parks and there is no loser here, they represent the very best of the best.

I agree that Disneyland is on the rebound big time and I hope it continues long after the press events for the 50th are over. Disneyland represents the heart and soul of Disney and of parks and it deserves to shine. Tokyo Disney Sea represents what the Disney of today can do if allowed and funded... both are TERRIFIC!

• A Little Rabid

Damn right Disneyland is the greatest! Excellent job! I wouldn't have never written an article like that because I'd be too biased.
    I lurk.

• Ted T
    Oh, BTW... it was mentioned that Disneyland has most of the dining options in Down Town Disney and that Tokyo does not have this, well that is not exactly the case.

there is a large (much larger than Down Town Disney in fact) complex calle Ikspiri at the Tokyo Disney Resort. This has all sorts of dining, shopping and entertainment options. Unlike Down Town Disney is is more like a fancy mall and mostly occupied by non Disney owned or operated establishments (much more so than at Down Town Disney). Regardless is serves much the same purpose of Down Town Disney and because there is also a major rail station here it also has lots and lots of locals, far more locals in fact than tourists.

Even with Ikspiri Tokyo Disney Sea still has an outstanding selection of dining options, it is the one catagory in which Tokyo Disney Sea really has a clear advantage over Disneyland and I cannot imagien Disneyland ever cathing up in this particular area.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    I think, in the end, it has more to do with individual taste than anything else.
    Exactly, there is no 'Best Park,' it is all one's personal opinion. Me, I think Epcot is the best park and could defeat each of the other parks.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Vehicle rotating backward

Well, what park is "best" is always a subjective issue for everyone, but I enjoyed the pictures and summaries.

As for this actual article comparing TDS and DL, my only real complaint is that for the Food category he only posted about TDS having restaurants that were intricately themed and worked into the surrounding land. He said very little about whether the selections of the food offered was as varied as the restaurant theming. Disneyland does have a variety of foods even if the restaurants are a little old or not as well themed.

I guess I really noticed this because I've been eyeing a Tokyo trip and want to know if there's options for those of us not into rice, squid, and sushi.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Well, what park is "best" is always a subjective issue for everyone, but I enjoyed the pictures and summaries.

As for this actual article comparing TDS and DL, my only real complaint is that for the Food category he only posted about TDS having restaurants that were intricately themed and worked into the surrounding land. He said very little about whether the selections of the food offered was as varied as the restaurant theming. Disneyland does have a variety of foods even if the restaurants are a little old or not as well themed.

I guess I really noticed this because I've been eyeing a Tokyo trip and want to know if there's options for those of us not into rice, squid, and sushi.
    Have no fear...there is a HUGE variety of food to eat at the Tokyo parks and Ikspari. Actually, Sushi and Squid isn't all that dominent, but rice sure is. Just wait until you have a Gayzo (sp?) sausage bun, or eat on the big water boat at Disneysea. Outstanding 4 star american food...in Tokyo. Plenty of food options to explore if you're more adventurous (Sea Salt ice cream is great...go for it...) but remember they're trying to 'recreate' a bit of america in these parks and though it doesn't always work (Example: The Pizza Hamburger [yes together] in Tomorrowland) there is always food to tame an American palate.

• Ted T
    The food of the Tokyo Disney resort is MOSTLy American and in fact it is somewhat hard to find "squid and rice".

Want a hamburger, want pasta, want chinese food, want mexican food, wanta ham sandwhich... all easily available all around the resort. Now they may be slightly different than what you consider "normal" but the main difference you will see is in the much smaller portion sizes. The japanese, like most of the world, have not bought into the "super sized" culture of the U.S. So for example pasta will be a small bowl full, not a massive vat, a large Coke will be what we might consider a small... but fear not, the Tokyo parks and Japan in general offer a HUGE range of food options.

As compared to Disneyland the variety is MUCH larger in the food catagory, from tacos to yes raw tuna... it's all there.

On a single park for park basis I would have to grade Disneyland a tiny notch higher as discussed above.

BUT..........

The Tokyo Disney resort Vs. The DIsneyland resort. That's the real competition. ANd TDR would be the very clear winner to me. That's exactly what was said above (sort of). Sure TDS doesn't have Splash mountain and pirates. But they're a 10 minute walk away!

• Master of Disaster

interesting link for you guys.

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/travel...l_top_ten.html

top ten theme parks! disneyland is BELOW disneyworld... but we all know better now dont we.

• Minion

Hogwash! They rated DL at only No. 8? And called WDW the granddaddy of all amusement parks...a ridiculous list.

• Ted T
    >>>top ten theme parks! disneyland is BELOW disneyworld... but we all know better now dont we.
    <<<

While I certainly do not agree with those rankings remember, I was comparing INDIVIDUAL PARKS. Not entire resorts. Walt Disney World Resort would clearly win over the Disneyland Resort, as would the Tokyo Disney Resort. The real competition for resorts would be WDW versus Tokyo and as great as Tokyo Disney Sea is I ultimately think that Walt Disney World would win the best RESORT competition because they just have too much to offer.

but this was NOT that comparison, this was a comparison of individual parks as if they were in total isolation of each other.

• Ted T
    That article really is a joke. I mean aside fromt he fact that ANY article that ranks six flags parks above Disneyland CLEARLY has a different agenda... look what they say about Walt Disney World, this is an exact quote:

"The granddaddy of all amusement parks, Disney World in Florida has the amazing Magic Kingdom as well as Epcot Center, which revitalized the famous park. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror in MGM Studios will make your stay unforgettable, while Magic Mountain remains an unparalleled classic. "

OK, it was already touched on but WDW is NOT the granddaddy of all amusement parks. It says something about Epcot revitalizing the famous park... I don't even know what they mean. Are they saying Epcot rvitalized the Magic Kingdom? Ridiculous and also not true, if anything the early years of Epcot were a huge finacial DRAIN on the resort. But then they drop the real winner..."while Magic Mountain remains an unparalleled classic.". I can only assume they mean SPACE Mountain. Do they know that Magic Mountain is a theme park in California? Probably not, but it just goes to show how poorly reserached that this is.

• Disney Memory Maker

I also like how they call it Epcot Center instead of Epcot.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    I also like how they call it Epcot Center instead of Epcot.
    Because that is the original name for the park: EPCOT Center . I refuse to call it differently .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast