Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

3/22: May the Best Park Win, Part 3

Guest columnist Ted Tamburo concludes his series comparing the various Disney parks. Did you agree with his final choice? Discuss it here...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• wasting time

Disneyland is the best ?

No way!

I love these comparisons. The Tokyo parks are the only two I haven't been to yet, so it was great to get a good idea of how they compare. Thanks

• Santa Barbara, CA

TDS is like visiting the backlot of a great movie studio with lots of cool sets, but you've never seen any of the movies made there. Hey..nice Volcano but no intimacy. No emotional attachment or relevence. I've been lucky enough to have been to both. DL is all emotion and relevence and less awe. DL's awe is from the connection to the movie or topic.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

First is best , without the original would there be the others. It once again all started with a mouse and a man with vision, without that there would be no others.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    I think this column did a very good job of comparing these very different parks. However, my outcome would have been different. There is nothing in the world that can compare to Tokyo Disney Sea. Although it lacks the total number of attractions of Disneyland, it is the most immersive, expansive, detailed, magical, and awe inducing park you could imagine. Think of all the threads that we have started around here about how to "Fix" Disneyland. Tokyo Disney Sea doesn't need fixing. Its first phase was built perfectly and a major second phase is already well on its way. Quite simply the most amazing place that I have ever seen (and I've seen a lot of cool places all over the world).

Fun debate. I think, in the end, it has more to do with individual taste than anything else. For a family with kids, Disneyland probably wins (although the enclosed Mermaid Lagoon and Aladdin area are great for kids at TDS). For adults, TDS wins hands down. For Teens, Disneyland wins right now, but TDS will pull ahead when Tower and the new Spirits Coaster next to Indy opens in a few months.

Ahhhhhhh. I wonder how Lashbear's TDS trip is going right now?

-The Dusty Traveler
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Ted T
    Hey guys...

thanks for reading my series of park comparisons and for your thoughts.

Trust me, it was a HARD comparison to make. I have been to both parks numerous times and I really enjoy each one, but for different reasons. It was almost like sayingwhich do you like better, Steak or football, I mean they are just REALLy different.

In the end the number of attractions, the variety of attractions and the history and charm of the original Disneyland won out. But I LOVE Tokyo Disney Sea and in many ways if I were to visit one park tomorrow I would likely choose TDS. However in the big picture DL wins out.

I do think that when the two major new attractions open at TDS it will be an even tighter competition and as I mentioned in the article, I would not be surprised to see TDS overtake DL in the near future.

Anyway, thanks again:
    Ted

• Minion

This was a carefully researched and thought provoking series of articles.

I was fully expecting TDS to come out the winner but my emotional attachments and long history with DL made me hope it would be the opposite.

I often wonder how the younger generations perceive DL compared to us oldtimers who watched it being planned and built.

• Disneyland Fan
    Great article. DL is the def the best, no matter what. The original will always reign supreme to me. I'd love to visit TDS though, espescially after hearing about all the great things that park has. Thanks Ted!!!

• Lurker

Great job, Ted! I really enjoyed the series. I would have to agree that the two parks are neck to neck. Tough decision.

When it comes right down to it though, I would agree that DL does have an advantage and what did it for me was the number AND variety of attractions. Afterall, that's their purpose.

• Just this guy......

What a great series of articles! I think that the views were very fair both pro and con with all the parks.

Although I have never been to TDS, and have no basis for comparison, I know that in a true contest, I would still choose DL Every. Single. Time. Purely for the nostalgia, or the Intangible, as Ted Tamburo called it (and what a great word, BTW).

Part of the reason I love DL so much is that I grew up there, and no other theme park, no matter how impressive, could ever compare to that. I'd love to see them all someday, but I know that nothing could ever replace the original for me, even with so many odds stacked against it.

Fantastic report Ted. As someone who has been to all the parks (except the Paris resort) I can vouch that you did your homework. That said, although I'd agree that Disneyland would win over DisneySea in terms of sheer number of attractions, when you have Tokyo Disneyland right next door with many of the same attractions you mentioned that end up 'besting' Disneyland over DisneySea (Tokyo Disneyland has most of the Fantasyland dark rides, including Tokyo-exclusive Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Haunted Mansion, a superior Splash Mountain (the best IMO), a much superior Big Thunder Mountain, a vastly superior Castle (with the Black Cauldron AA show), Mickey Mouse Revue AA show, Country Bears, a debatably equal "Pirates" (better AAs, but shorter then Disneyland's, without being as short as WDW's), indentical an versions of Roger Rabbit's cartoon spin and Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters....you have a really tough call as far as visiting a 'resort'. Cause let's face it, if DisneySea was across from Disneyland, there would be no question as to what resort to visit. But I think, resort wise, Tokyo wins out with it's two parks over Disneyland Resort. In comparing individual parks, your review is 100% accurate, but with Tokyo Disneyland right next door to DisneySea offering just about everything you mentioned lacked in DisneySea...it's not hard for me to argue that Tokyo's the place to be.

• rprice330
    Thank you for your park challenge. I do feel that this comparison is very difficult since each park has a theme of its own. Disneyland holds true the very essence of youth and endearing quality that I feel no other park has. Tokyo Disney Seas brings to the table, what trial and error has been attained from a quaint little park in Anaheim. Whatever your thoughts on this subject, without Disneyland there would be no Tokyo Disney Seas.

• Durango & Sliverton NGRR

Remember, that Long Beach had its chance to host the first DisneySeas, but lost out to Tokyo. We also lost out on Westcot. Now we have DCA. Strike 1, strike 2, strike 3.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast