Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

2/9: Looking Forward & Back

Kevin on Pixar, Pixels, and Yester-World?! Discuss it all here...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• UH..LIKE DUH..

Re: 2/9: Looking Forward & Back

I think Bob Iger took at look at the next few Disney animated films coming down the pipe and probably figured he HAD to buy Pixar...

• Huh?

Would like to disagree on there being absolutely no WDW version of Yesterland -- Widen Your World has been operating for quite a while now and has quite a good source of information. It's definately the current definitive source of extinct attraction info at WDW. It is lacking on a lot of the vintage photos and such that I'm really into -- needs a little updating. But, even still, it'll take a while to go through the whole site.
    -Tim

• MiceAge Columnist

Widen Your World is near the top of my links to existing such sites... but it is not exhaustive and doesn't address some of the parks.

I would agree it's a definitive source for the rides and parks it DOES cover, but the list of what it covers is not exhaustive. There's nothing for MGM or DAK, for instance.

And, what I'm really hoping to do is make a site where contributed photos have a place to congregate. Relying just on scanned photos and my own photos would be more limiting.
    Last edited by KevinYee; 02-09-2006 at 06:46 AM.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee
    Widen Your World is near the top of my links to existing such sites... but it is not exhaustive and doesn't address some of the parks.

I would agree it's a definitive source for the rides and parks it DOES cover, but the list of what it covers is not exhaustive. There's nothing for MGM or DAK, for instance.

And, what I'm really hoping to do is make a site where contributed photos have a place to congregate. Relying just on scanned photos and my own photos would be more limiting.
    There is also Walt Dated World, which covers a lot of out dated material from all the parks. here is a link

http://waltdatedworld.bravepages.com/index.htm

• Huh?

I have to agree with you on Widen Your World. That's been one of my biggest complaints about the site, too... not very up to date (ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter isn't even on the list). Maybe just doesn't have the time needed to devote to a site like that. I dunno.

There's definately plenty of room available for a much more exhaustive site... enjoyed the photos today, so can't wait to see what else you might have for us.
    -Tim

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by AF'nJ
    There is also Walt Dated World, which covers a lot of out dated material from all the parks. here is a link

http://waltdatedworld.bravepages.com/index.htm
    Yeah, this is also in my list of links on the UltimateOrlando page itself. I guess maybe I'm hiding the links too much?

I also have the 20,000 Leagues site, but what I can no longer locate again (despite having visited before) are the sites for the Discovery River Taxis and the Universe of Energy. If anyone knows those URLs, those are ones I still need.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• The one, the only...

All I can say is Disney really missed an opportunity. Expedition Everest is not as cool a name as Forbidden Mountain. NOW THAT IS AWESOME! It just shows that the Disney marketing department have no clue what is good.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    All I can say is Disney really missed an opportunity. Expedition Everest is not as cool a name as Forbidden Mountain. NOW THAT IS AWESOME! It just shows that the Disney marketing department have no clue what is good.
    And yet people seem to love it. (By the way, the official name is "Expedition Everest: The Legend of Forbidden Mountain).

Also, although the main mountain isn't everest, they did in fact make Everest (it is the one at the top right).

but what I can no longer locate again (despite having visited before) are the sites for the Universe of Energy.
    Are you talking about this site (from Micechat's own Planet7)?
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Animatronic

Actually, I sort of like Expedition Everest from an overall theme standpoint. It seems to fit with the whole Animal and exploration theme going on at the park. Plus, it might be easier to sucker your wimpy friends on to the attraction than if it was called Forbidden Moutain.

• Drunk On Disney

Great article. Love the photos!

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• e komo mai

The new Walt Disney? Talk about pressure.

Kevin ~ I love the photos you posted. Good stuff!

• Disney Prince

Would it not have worked to have the mountain be Everest itself?
    Nope, because Everest itself is regularly climbed by mountaineers and in this Discovery Channel generation, everyone knows a train doesn't go through Mt. Everest and that there isn't a sprawling village at its base.

In case you were curious, Everest is still on the AK mountain, it's the peak behind the tallest one. they used forced perspective to make it look like its somewhere far away.

Keving needs to Update some of the info presented on Ulimateorlando.

For a new Website, Soarin, isnt listed as an attration to get a Fastpass for.

Plus, how Long has has there been Character Dining at the Garden Grill 6 or 7 years now.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by stitcharielsinbad
    In case you were curious, Everest is still on the AK mountain, it's the peak behind the tallest one. they used forced perspective to make it look like its somewhere far away.
    The spiel on the MK express monorail, as you head back toward the TTC, claims that the yeti lives on Everest. Even Disney gets it wrong sometimes!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast