Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

2/28: Here Comes the Bride

Mansion's Plot Change, Labor Woes, DCA Lagoon Show II, Sub Progress, Meet Oscar, More... Discuss it all here?
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• FastPass n00b

Re: 2/28: Here Comes the Bride

I'm glad that HM will now have a much more evident plot, but this new plot seems simplistic and straightforward compared to the eerily foreboding and mystical, if not unexplained (in a good way), type of story. The current story has mystery and evokes a morbid curiosity. The new story just seems like it's about a murderous gold-digging bride.

And although I am glad Disney dropped the whole "kid safe" thing for this story, I'm not so sure a bride wielding a blood-soaked ax is a good thing to put into a Disney attraction. I guess it all depends on how they incorporate it though...Walt himself was VERY good at taking morbid subjects and introducing them in a way that didn't frighten children, but interested them.

The current TDA has guts, that's for sure. Previous "untouchable" stuff like Pirates and HM are being switched around and changed like they were opened a few years ago or something.

• What have I done?

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    I'm glad that HM will now have a much more evident plot, but this new plot seems simplistic and straightforward compared to the eerily foreboding and mystical, if not unexplained (in a good way), type of story. The current story has mystery and evokes a morbid curiosity. The new story just seems like it's about a murderous gold-digging bride.

And although I am glad Disney dropped the whole "kid safe" thing for this story, I'm not so sure a bride wielding a blood-soaked ax is a good thing to put into a Disney attraction. I guess it all depends on how they incorporate it though...Walt himself was VERY good at taking morbid subjects and introducing them in a way that didn't frighten children, but interested them.

The current TDA has guts, that's for sure. Previous "untouchable" stuff like Pirates and HM are being switched around and changed like they were opened a few years ago or something.
    IM looking forward to the HM changes for sure! I dont think it will be as "bloody" or gorey as we think. It will all be doen with taste.

"And you can bet that these changes to Haunted Mansion will cause quite a stir from the online Disney community, which is exactly what WDI is expecting."

So does that line mean we are being heard?

"This guy!"

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    The "current" story, from my understanding, is just complete fan fiction. The tools are there to make a story... but there is no real story.

I mean, if I made up the story of the "brave little goat" for Big Thunder off the top of my head, would that mean it becomes canon for the ride? You gotta be kidding me.

Bring on the new Mansion! It sounds wonderful -- now if only they'd stop with that Haunted Mansion Holiday, which hogs the REAL mansion out of the way for most of the year.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Just this guy......

I am looking for ward to seeing the changes to the Haunted Mansion. The new effects sound very creative and should add new value to the attraction.

One of the things that I am wondering about which was not mentioned was that we have been hearing rumors that they are also widening some of the ramps and doors at HM. Does anyone know if this is also going on?

• e komo mai

I'm excited about the changes to the storyline of the Haunted Mansion. I can't wait to see them. Anytime a ride is updated with cool animatronics, I'm thrilled. (That being said, I haven't seen Stitch yet in WDW.)

I think the rebuilding of the submarine lagoon is taking far too long. There is very little progress going on there. Are they working with a cheapo skeleton crew or what?

Nice update.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Not so sure about this. I mean these sound like much better changes than POTC's coming changes...but I dunno I guess I just like "plusses" like the new new Hitchhiking Ghosts more than I ever like "changes" like the bride changes...though they are not that massive...file this under "we'll see".

I'm excited for and welcome the changes coming to the HM, but when I first saw the title of Al's article today I was REALLY hoping it was going to mention a new fully articulated AA bride like the one in DLP That's OK though, it sounds like ours will be a completely new idea unique to our Park.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

I am SO looking forward to the changes in the Mansion. I know that alot of people are purists about this ride, but I have felt for years that it needed to be updated with the current technology. I love the story line they are putting in there as well. It kinda links the ride to the stretching portrait of the lady sitting on the headstone over the bust of a guy with a axe in his head. Very Cool!!! .

Thanks as always for the great update Al.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
    I am SO looking forward to the changes in the Mansion. I know that alot of people are purists about this ride, but I have felt for years that it needed to be updated with the current technology. I love the story line they are putting in there as well. It kinda links the ride to the stretching portrait of the lady sitting on the headstone over the bust of a guy with a axe in his head. Very Cool!!! .

Thanks as always for the great update Al.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

•   
    • Minion

Thanks for the update...

I am very happy about the Mansion Changes... Although I did find it very curious that as opposed to POTC, they didn't further work the film in... I think it is vary curagious... And smart...

I am also very happy about a DCA night show, provided that it is a good show and well exhecuted... It would nice to have something else at night in DL's night activities to keep people in DCA... I mean people still are going to move from the Electrical Parade to the Fireworks... But at least some of them will likely stay, if not for a short time to see the DCA show...

It also sounds to me like the CBA isn't really going to be as big of a deal as it could... However, I think it behooves Disney to use it to show the community that it is a good company to work for... The longer the conflict draggs out, the uglier it will look for both Disney and the CM's...
    Check out my other blog:

• hatbox ghost believer

Thumbs up Re: 2/28: Here Comes the Bride

I personally welcome the changes. However, they really should have though about the "return" of the infamous Hatbox Ghost. As for incorporating the movie into the ride (like POTC), I never see that happening. The film, albeit the special effects were very good, was a failure. The film's story just didn't work. Another option I would have forseen, would be incorporating more of the Phantom Manor's story into the Mansion.

BTW, are they going to incorporate the changes in the WDW park or the TDP as well?

Anyhew, I guess I will have to check the changes out myslef, after POTC re-opens...

Regardsarama,

Jon
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• that's right!

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinKing!
    IM looking forward to the HM changes for sure! I dont think it will be as "bloody" or gorey as we think. It will all be doen with taste.

"And you can bet that these changes to Haunted Mansion will cause quite a stir from the online Disney community, which is exactly what WDI is expecting."

So does that line mean we are being heard?
    I don't think so. I'm sure Disney reads these boards, but I don't think they care about the opinions here, to be honest. The people on these boards are, like Al said, representative of an incredibly small fraction of the people who visit Disneyland, and so aren't really worth taking into account when they make decisions.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nojarama
    Another option I would have forseen, would be incorporating more of the Phantom Manor's story into the Mansion.
    I hope they don't incorporate the Phantom Manor's story. DL's HM should be its own unique ride with its own unique story line. You don't want guests to think 'Different architecture, but same experience' about the ride. You want them to be excited about going to each of the parks and experiencing the different storylines. Just my 2 cents.

I don't know about everybody else, but I like when they do certain changes to the attractions. It keeps them fresh without killing the integrity of the original. The Haunted Mansion changes seem subtle enough to make everyone think they've always been there. I am a little reserved though about the changes coming to PoTC though. They are literally adding characters from a movie to the classic ride. The HM changes are generic enough to keep them indefinately. But if the sequels to the PoTC movies are a flop the characters in the ride are going to get old fast. Look at how quickly The Great Movie Ride in Disney World got old fast because the movies they used outdated themselves fast (or so I heard) and it needed updating. I think that it is risky to put actors or characters in a ride that will be around for at least another 50 years in an era when movies and actors are always falling into the last years news catagory.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast