Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

3/31: To the Moon and Beyond

Guest columnist Alain Littaye takes a look at both the old and new versions of Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris. Talk about his article here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Great article!!!!
    Thanks you guys!!!!
    Only makes me want to go to DLP MORE!!!!!!

• FastPass n00b

Wow, this article is fascinating. You know for 13 years I never knew that DLP was a success from the start, it was only the hotels that brought it down. I always figured that no one ever visited the park in the beginning. Shows how powerful the Disney propaganda machine is, huh?

Anyway, it's so neat to see what might have been and how amazing it would have been. Those conception sketches are so amazing, it'll be interesting to see them come to life after Eisner is gone and the theme park budgets come back. DLP was the catalyst that provoked Eisner to never spend another dime on theme park development again. Before 1992 the money for theme parks flowed, but after that it was like pulling teeth to get funding for new projects. And all thanks to Eisner's obsession over building hotels, which I imagine came from his dismay in Florida when he found out how much money he was losing by only having 3 hotels and forcing people to stay in off-Disney property.

So first he finds that the hotels in Flordia is sorely inadequate, so he commissions tons of hotels to be built and makes lots more money. Then he sees the profits to be made in having guests stay on Disney property so he builds a complex of hotels in Paris then fails and blames it on the Imagineers. The trouble with Eisner is that he never *learns* from his mistakes. It's ALWAYS someone else's fault and never his. If he would just acknowledge that maybe the market wasn't ready for tons of hotels, he could've taken away a valuable lesson. But, obvisouly learning nothing, he's gone on and built 3 hotels from the beginning in a yet-to-be-proven Hong Kong park! I'm sure the Imagineers will be to blame for that too if the park does poorly, despite the fact that they did the best they could under such tight budgets. At this point, just about anyone is better suited to lead Disney than Eisner.

• Minion

Wonderful article, Alain! I'm going to have to go back and read it again because the numerous concept paintings and photos kept distracting me.

• ...or just Tonny

Wait, Disney actually contacted Intamin for this before deciding on Vekoma. Wow, I wish they'd proceded with that!

Great article, Space Mtn is my all time favorite ride. Well, up untill now. I'm not expecting any good from the new mission really...

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Fantastic article. It makes me want to visit DLP that much more...

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Minion

The level of creativity and emphasis on theming in this attraction are quite impressive and definitely show the many strengths of WDI. Unfortunately the corner-cutting aspects in the decision-making process reveal the weaknesses and lack of vision in upper management. But, we already knew that.

I couldn't believe the size of that Columbiad cannon. That thing is truly awesome.

I'm confused as to why, if it was so successful, it was closed so relatively soon after its opening run for a redesign?

I'd also like to know why Disneyland Paris and Tokyo Disneyland aren't advertised at all in the States? They should be advertised at least half as much as the US parks are.
    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

OMG! Awesome pictures!!! J'aime le Space Mountain!

• ...or just Tonny

I don't think the general public in the US would want to fly all the way to Tokyo or Paris for a Disney park. So advertising those wouldn't make sense.

Why they changed Space Mtn? My guess is to lure some guests in with advertising a "new" experience without actually spending the amount of money they'd need for a new ride. I personally still thinks it kills the creative reason of being for the ride, and area though...

• wasting time

I had never seen some of those concept drawings before.

Very cool.

• Know More Than You Should

Alain, thank you so much for another excelent article.The concept art and all of the photographs were truly stunning. I impatiently await your next article on MiceAge.

• Social Imagineer

I can't wait to read about the new Mission. (I have my doubts; the original Paris Space Mountain was one of the best rides in the history of the world).

Great concept art, and a fine history of the attraction. Thanks.

• Circle of Ancients

Loved the Article. Can't wait for the next one talking about the differences between "Mission One" and Two.

• Iron-Clad Allie

To the Moon and Beyond While Eating A Mars Bar

Meteor-ific! You rock, Alain! The descriptive writing and awe-inspiring concept art, combined, is a jounalistic overture for the senses.

The tracks in Space Mountain One (or should one say 1 1/2) appear to be seamlessly invisible. What a remarkable visual effect - makes it seem like the trains are indeed floating in vacuous space. It definitely makes me want to discover and experience DLP's delightful flight of reckless abandon.

The Blue Moon Mining Company looked beyond cool, as did the trains that hurled about while dodging helacious firey meteorites and - like WOW - actualy encircling them (for the most part). It causes me to wonder if crash test dummies were used when the ride was first tested. Poor things.

Keep up the good work, Alain. I'm looking forward to launching into Mission 2, "Riding the Comet" next time!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-01-2005 at 10:33 AM.

• DLRP Mental

What a brilliant article Alain, can't wait to read about Mission 2 now. Now to wait a whole 5 months before I can ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast