Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: 4/18: Failure to Launch

wow.. new york.. nice... I was there for my spring break.. anyway..

Rockit mountain seems a good concept.. but they didnt think it through as said.. how would they get away with closing it down to restart it every day.. unless they create something that at a certain time the line closes (45 mins before change over) but they stop issuing FP an hour before the ride closes.. time wise.. then right before it opens they change signage to say Rockit mountain FP and such...

during busy time this is hard though...

They could have held the pirates premier over at DCA, no one would notice.. lol

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    Exactly. Team Disney Orlando will not be happy with the results of the popularity of the Subs up in California... especially as I personally think the lagoon and the Subs themselves at the MK were more beautiful... Disneyland again has outsmarted the Magic Kingdom.
    Possbily, but remember two big things, unlike DL, MK's one could be torn down to allow for more rides, DL could not. So the lake sat there until new managment. I say DL is getting the better end of the deal until a new ride gets put in MK, because that's what Fantasyland really needs.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

No one's really mentioning the thing that concerned me the most in Al's article- the shrinking influence and budget of the DCA placemaking project. If this project doesn't get the funding it really needs to be done right, the money spent might as well be thrown away. An insufficient budget will only change the appearance of DCA, not the quality. And if the budget isn't enough and the project fails to improve the park or evevn attendance, it will be forever used by the suits at TDA as a concrete example that making things look nicer and putting effort towards these things doesn't do a bit of good.

WOW I don't believe it!!!!!!!!

I've been reading Al's postings for years now, even back to the Usenet days at ADD. Im a fan I guess you could say but I never went to any meet and greets or anything like that. I always just read Al's article's to keep up on what goes on down in Disneyland as I enjoy his writing style and humor. With this article for the first time I get to see what the man looks like.

Now I've never purposely gone searching to see what this elusive man looks like because, well quite frankly I have a life, but kinda neat to finally put a face to the articles. Glad to meet ya Al and as always thanks for the update.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    Exactly. Team Disney Orlando will not be happy with the results of the popularity of the Subs up in California... especially as I personally think the lagoon and the Subs themselves at the MK were more beautiful... Disneyland again has outsmarted the Magic Kingdom.
    Orlando couldn't care less what happens in Anaheim, Speedy.

And I agree, the WDW subs were a whole lot more to look at than Anaheim's fleet

No surprise about the Nemo effects going into Living Seas. That's very old news to any of us close to WDW. ANd even though we will only get part of the sub effects, that doesn't really matter. What matters is we'll be getting the seacabs back and in a longer form too.

The Midway Mania thing has also been floating around as a major rumor, while Al was in Red Square. Apparently, the Disney-MGM Studios is getting the same attraction. I only wonder if this is the same attraction that was going to be built in the Festival Arena area, and if it is, what will happen to that valuable real estate?

It's also great to hear DL will finally celebrate Halloween again. It shouldn't start its Christmas season until mid-November. And if Steve Davison can create another HalloWishes for DL, it will be another huge hit, I'm sure.

The only true surprise to me in Al's column was that Mary Niven still has her job. She is the only MAJOR Cynthia Harriss exec remaining and food and beverage at DLR is not nearly at the level I think it should be. I'm surprised she hasn't left to spend more time with her family.

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Ah, yes, but whose fault is it, particularly now that they know that park attendance gets hit with repeated bad behavior? Management starts getting things right and they are reaching capacity... Now those mothballed attractions are starting to look real good... The sad news is that I can name a half dosen attractions that are either mothballed or in desperate need of attention to get Disneyland functioning and helping it to seem less crowded...

MK will never have that kind of problem... It shouldn't... MK and DL are differant animals with differant challenges and need differant solutions...
    Yes. The MK is in DIRE need of new management.

I'd love to see what Al would do to Phil Holmes, Lee Cockerell, Erin Wallace and Co ... Orlando execs don't know how lucky they have it that Al is on the left coast .

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by jepple
    No one's really mentioning the thing that concerned me the most in Al's article- the shrinking influence and budget of the DCA placemaking project. If this project doesn't get the funding it really needs to be done right, the money spent might as well be thrown away. An insufficient budget will only change the appearance of DCA, not the quality. And if the budget isn't enough and the project fails to improve the park or evevn attendance, it will be forever used by the suits at TDA as a concrete example that making things look nicer and putting effort towards these things doesn't do a bit of good.
    Even if the full placemaking project for the entry area, along with "Main Street" type vehicles goes thru, with all the bells and whistles, the BIGGEST placemaking project would still not be complete.

The BIGGEST problem of DCA, from it's inception is the ENTIRE Paradise Pier area and Route 66! As long as this area is the state fair/traveling carney/boardwalk built on the cheap theme remains, this place will be an embarassment and blight on Walt Disney's legacy. THIS one thing, above everything else, is what Ouimet had to be referring to, when he admitted that DCA if full of "challenges". After seeing a model of this area, "Walt would have HATED THAT" is what some said, who knew and worked with Walt.

It's VERY FRUSTRATING to hear an idea for "improvement" to this blighted area is to add a "shoot 'em up midway dark ride". UGGGH! Yes, the entire park has been desperately void of any dark ride for over 4 years, until Monsters Inc. rescued the old Superstar Limo. And certainly MORE dark rides are needed.

BUT in order to overcome the "built on the cheap" and "off the shelf attractions" reputation that this place had it's cornerstone founded on, A top notch Dark Ride Attraction, one more adult oriented like Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean (rather than cartoon oriented like Monsters) is the prescription.

That won't be cheap of course, and it goes against the grain of what DCA represents, but THAT is EXACTLY what DCA needs in order to overcome it's own hideous hunchbacked reputation.

• Vehicle rotating backward

It doesn't matter what Walt hated, really. Walt isn't here anymore, get over it. While the PPier lineup doesn't excite me much, any failings it has is not at all related to something as irrelevant to the problem as "Walt wouldn't like it."

Much like how Walt had romanticized notions of small-town America with MSUSA, there are people in TODAY'S world who have romanticized notions of seaside amusement parks. Walt actually lived during their heydey and knew how ugly they looked. There's probably someone in the 1900s who thought the kind of thoroughfare represented by Main Street wasn't all that great either. And there's some people who don't care for cowboys and others who don't really have a big fancy for Princesses. It doesn't matter, the company tries to have something that will excite you.

Not everyone thinks exactly like Walt. If they did, Fantasia would have been so popular as to spawn a bazillion awful clones and Wally Boag would be bigger than Johnny Carson. Is that a world we really would want to live in? <g>

• Old Timer

I like the idea of having DCA time theme a generation after DL. To me DL was always around the turn of the century, that is Main Street of course.

DCA however may do better to be themed around the mid 40's, have trolley cars, full sized recreations, historically much was happening in CA and LA at that time not to mention the effects of WW2. I know a lot of people are gonna get outraged, agitated and burbalated but I would honestly love to see a section of DCA themed after the movie 1941 complete with authentic WW2 military hardware, props and a show doing a section out of the movie 1941 of LA going hysterical about a japanese invasion. This was an era of transition from steam trains to diesel, freeways were a new idea, most people used the trolley back then, what I miss so much about living in CA was going to SF and seeing the electric streetcars, busses and cable cars, thats what DCA needs at the very least a couple of authentic bell ringing streetcars.

This was also a period of time significantly important to Walt Disney as well. His best animation was just getting into the theatres and Disneyland was perhaps a small far off idea at the time, let DCA be Walts "prequel to Disneyland" so to speak.

And its good to see your back AL, real Russian vodka not like the US kind eh?
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• Drunk On Disney

Cool Re: 4/18: Failure to Launch

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    ...Not everyone thinks exactly like Walt. If they did, Fantasia would have been so popular as to spawn a bazillion awful clones and Wally Boag would be bigger than Johnny Carson. Is that a world we really would want to live in? <g>
    Well put. Although I would want to live in a world with a bazillion Wally Boag clones.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

I live in NYC and have heard tons of negative press about Tarzan, which is a total bummer becuase my sister-in-law bought tickets to see it for when they're in town and now I'm dreading it. It's so bad, one reviewer titled their article "You'll Be In My Fart."

Personally, I'm glad Bruckheimer is putting the bosh down on the Pirate's rehab. I never thought it was a good idea to put the movie too much in the ride. I felt it was giving the movie too much credit. After all, which came first?

• Munchings & Crunchings

So, if Rockit Mountain is not happening, does that mean that the effects currently "turned off" for use in that version can be now used for the regular version? I'd love to see the giant asteroid and the light arches turned on!

• Travel-Sized Guardian

I like the idea of actual walk around pirates being in NOS, cause it will bring some much needed extra live entertainment back to the area (Ah, I still miss Laginappe!)...but I -really- will feel sorry...if they do it, anyway...for the poor sap who gets cast as the Jack Sparrow walk around. With all the rabid fangirls sitting around, they'd probably have to equip the poor fellow with a stun gun!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr D
    I know a lot of people are gonna get outraged, agitated and burbalated but I would honestly love to see a section of DCA themed after the movie 1941 complete with authentic WW2 military hardware, props and a show doing a section out of the movie 1941 of LA going hysterical about a japanese invasion.
    You are right, I am outraged, agitated and burbalated at the concept... I think it would be best for everyone involved if it was done post WWII for more than obvious reasons of political sensitivity and cultural tollarance toward countries in the pacific... There are a LOT of Japanese tourists, I wouldn't want to upset them...

Quote Originally Posted by Alladin
    The BIGGEST problem of DCA, from it's inception is the ENTIRE Paradise Pier area and Route 66! As long as this area is the state fair/traveling carney/boardwalk built on the cheap theme remains, this place will be an embarassment and blight on Walt Disney's legacy. THIS one thing, above everything else, is what Ouimet had to be referring to, when he admitted that DCA if full of "challenges". After seeing a model of this area, "Walt would have HATED THAT" is what some said, who knew and worked with Walt.
    First off it was Iger that said that DCA was "challenged"...

Secondly, I think what Walt hated more than anything poor exacution more than what would be the actual Paradice Pier's theme... However, when faced with poor exacution, you have to wonder WHY they built it rather than something more original? I mean really...

What looks great on one side of the reflection pool is a nightmare to experiance in person... I find it as amusing, entertaining, and relivant as a 7-11... You think you are at your grocery store but you are not... And you wonder why you paid $50 to experiance something when you can spend half that to get to the real thing and do so for free...

The experiance of walking down an actual amusment boardwalk (Santa Monica's Pacific Park or Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk) is more amusing, entertaining, relivant and you get the added plus of amusement park history... I would rather watch street performers at Venis Beach... Even with it's filth, it is a better experiance...

Why? They have Dark Rides... They have skill games with real prizes - I am a sucker for $1 Facination games where one walks away with a $7 toaster if you win 50 times and 50 cent classic pinball machines... They have "brass rings" and amusment devices from a time long passed... They have thrill rides that will spin you every which way to Sunday...

Here you get fast food stalls, rigged basket tosses and temporary tattoos? Blech!!!

Midway Mania isn't going to change that... I don't think the Pier is fixable unless they gut the place and start over... The rest of the park is fixable... Particularly if you add more dark rides to the San Francisco, Wharf areas... And completely retheme the Farm...
    Last edited by cellarhound; 04-19-2006 at 10:50 AM.
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    You are right, I am outraged, agitated and burbalated at the concept... I think it would be best for everyone involved if it was done post WWII for more than obvious reasons of political sensitivity and cultural tollarance toward countries in the pacific... There are a LOT of Japanese tourists, I wouldn't want to upset them...
    Two words: Manzanarland!! Separate little prison, er Gulag, er Concentration Camp, er, whatever, that we'd keep Japanese tourists in, until they joined our army. They could experience what it was like to be an American with Japanese ancestry. Throw Stitch in, for laughs.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast