Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

4/18: Failure to Launch

RockIt: Not, Pirates, Subs, Buh-Bye Burritos, Halloween's Return, Bread Lines, More... Discuss it all (finally!) here.
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• e komo mai

Re: 4/18: Failure to Launch

I was just at miceage.com. I don't see your article...

Edited to add: I see it now, but page 3 does not load...
    Last edited by Gemini Cricket; 04-18-2006 at 06:32 AM.

• e komo mai

It seems to be working now. Nice update. Thank you for all the info and photos.

If anyone's been interested in seeing what Al looks like, there's a photo of him in this update.

• Former Epcot CM

Well, all I can say is that it was worth the wait. Thanks Al for a fantastic update, and I'm glad you enjoyed your deserved break. Not so happy about reports of Tarzan though... but that's for another time.

Anyway, some points I'd like to address;
    * I really am quite gutted about what RockIt Mountain has become. This sounded so promising - I would rather not have it at all then have a shell of what it could be.
    * As always, I'm ecstatic about the present and the future of the Disneyland Resort, as a whole. It really is where it should be - the jewel in the crown of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.
    * I am shocked at the involvement of Disneyland Entertainment with the Pirates thingy - I am happy, but just shocked! The streetmosphere characters sound really fun, and don't get me started on the Columbia show! Wow!
    * I'm annoyed at Jerry Bruckheimer. As Al said, the Pirates trilogy would be nothing without the attraction - and it's only a name after all.
    * I'm bittersweet about the changes at Epcot - I am looking forward to previewing the sub technology before Disneylanders, but not so much knowing that it has been cut down.
    * Not impressed at all with Midway Mania. I don't know, but a Pixar shoot-em-up is just too familiar...
    * I whooped with delight when I read about Greg Emmer and Mary Niven. The best story I have read for ages.
    * I am still frustrated with the low standards that Disneyland Resort cast members work with. If the local Starbucks pays more, what does that say about the prestige of Disneyland? I have read stories about people dying to work at Disneyland in the 50s-70s, and I feel this is a major factor in creating the glamorous image that Disneyland has. I go to Disney parks expecting fantastic service - you don't get that with unhappy CMs, especially with CMs who deserve to be unhappy. It still seems silly in the face of all the dollars flooding into TDA... but then a lot is being spent on resort improvements as well.
    * Again, thanks for a great update.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Great article, Al. Great to have you back.

Given the hurdles in the changeover from Space Mountain to Rockit Mountain on a daily basis, I'm relieved they seem to be bagging the Rockit Mountain idea.

Also, I'm glad Bruckheimer is being selfish with the Black Pearl (although I've been told it's bad to be selfish), I'd rather have the ride with the Wicked Wench and just a wink and a nod to the movies.

-Reagan

The last photo is the Lincoln memorial in the background not the Jefferson.

• Senior Minion

Great Article AL, Thank you.

In a way I'm not surprised at Rockit Mountain getting cut down. It seemed like there could have been more done for the Space Mt. In general, not just Rockit Mt.
    Unbelieveable what's happening with the employment problems at DLR. This is going to bite them really bad, as it is already.

Russia and Red Square are amazing, thanks for sharing your trip.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Thanks for the update Al. Looks like you had fun in Russia, da? Is very good comrade! Thanks for sharing your pictures.

I don't think it's so much Jerry Bruckheimer's ego as it is his sense of nostalgia. Of course, it makes little sense for Barbossa to show up on the Wicked Wench...or does it? What ship is he captaining now that Jack is captaining the Black Pearl? Or does the ride take place during the first movie? Or is it a separate vignette? These are all very good questions that can't be answered...or can they? Sorry, where was I?

Oh yeah! On to labor problems. The labor problems Disneyland is going through is mostly based on their unwillingness to pay the same or better wages as Starbucks and In-N-Out (as you so graciously pointed out). This is the same thing occurring with businesses all over America with the illegal immigrant debate. Every politician from D.C. to Sacramento is spouting that nonsense line about "illegal immigrants doing jobs Americans won't do," but they forget to recognize that we won't do those jobs for the bull crap wages that illegal immigrants are getting...especially when they get more money working at Starbucks and In-N-Out!!!! It's all connected! I'm not a conspiracy theorist!

Thanks again for the update, Al. Welcome home.

Re: 4/18: Failure to Launch- odd item

The odd item in the lagoon shown in the last photo on page two or three, i forget which.. is a hookah breathing system, whereby a diver can remain underwater without the use of scuba tanks, supplied with air from the surface by a pump and a long hose (hence the 'hookah' name)

• Earth Intruder

Thanks for the update Al!

I'm really happy to hear about Rockit Mountain being put on the back burner (for the time being). I LOVE Space Mountain, and turning it into a cheapo Rockn Roller Coaster with Van Halen ... lame lame lame.

I am rather annoyed that we're gonna have to wait ANOTHER year for the ToT randomized drop sequences.... glad I am going to Florida with MiceChat to play on the "real" ToT!
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Rawr...

Perhaps we could see a little more about the DCA overhaul? maybe? Get your grubby lil' hands on some concept art? Perhaps? Pweese?
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• Former Epcot CM

Oh god... that would be my dream come true. Just a vision of what Sunshine Plaza will become...
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• I'm your huckleberry.

Wonderful update Al, thank you, as always!

Quite a mixed bag this week. Despite being a rabid fan of POTC the movie, and being pro-ride change, I'm worried about the NOS changes outlined in the update. I don't want to see my favorite land in Disneyland turned into a bastion for renfaire-like husker performances! Hopefully it will all be treated very tastefully, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it for myself.

Like Cherny, I'm glad Rock-It Mountain will be delayed, and I'm actually hoping the whole thing gets nixed. Space is fabulous the way it is, the changes made in 2005 are wonderful and still fresh. And Van Halen? What is this, 1984?

I also still hold out hope that PlaceMaking will be a success and DCA will stop being the proverbial red-headed step child of the Resort.

Lots of info to mull over.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Great update, Al! That's a good pic of you on page four. You're so very ellusive in the MC realm, it's interesting to see this.

The best news from this update, without a doubt, has to be the Rock-it Mountain delays! I'm reminded of another fiasco where things were not planned out well enough, monies were not allocated correctly, and the end result was disaster: DCA-- those pesky Rocket Rods. Is it a coincidence that both have Rocket in the title? Of course, but I'd hate to see Space get ruined because some TDA exec wanted to hear Van Halen in the dark with strobe lights. We have other venues for that, thanks!

• Closed Account

I am also very worried about this NoS "layover". What does it mean??? Pirates decorations all over or only in the shops? And im VERY worried that this new Ent. is going to takeover ALL NoS Ent. and push stuff like the bands and street preformeres in the back. And what about HM?? WHy cant we get like a HM storyteller or MORE HM Merch.???

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast