• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

4/20: Real World Adventureland, Part II

Guest columnist Alain Littaye takes you on a visit to the inspirations behind Disney's attractions. Part Two. Discuss his photo tour here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 4/20: Real World Adventureland, Part II

alain... magnificent.. extraordinary... and yes.. i'm ready to pack my bags.. can you give me some more info on the mechanics of getting there?

• Minion FOREVER!

Thank you very much, Alain! I've always wanted to go to Burma (having been
    enamored w/ the Harp of Burma as a child) and see its Buddhist shrines.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTaste
    alain... magnificent.. extraordinary... and yes.. i'm ready to pack my bags.. can you give me some more info on the mechanics of getting there?
    Hello, Alain Littaye, here.
    If anyone of you want to go to Burma, here is what you need to know:

1) the best season is between december and march ( dry period, not too hot )

2) go there with dollars in CASH , it's impossible to change travellers check or pay with credit card of take money from ATM with credit card, thanks to the economic embargo decided by your president ( sorry, but it's the truth!)

3) in bagan, the best and more romantic hotel is the BAGAN HOTEL . Another one the "thanathar gate" or something like that is more modern, but really less romantic. And in the beautiful garden of the Bagan hotel, it's just like if you were on the set of David Lean's "a passage to india" movie...
    more infos at: http://www.myanmars.net/baganhotel/ rooms from 60$, but if you can put 100$/ night the junior river suite are better.
    the manager, Oliver, is german and really cool. Send him an email, he'll probably do a discount to you. AND you can pay with your credit card at the bagan hotel!

4) From the usa, you have to fly to Bangkok ( the THAI Airlines is the best ) , and then from Bangkok to Rangoon, capital of Burma ( 1 hour from bangkok, always on Thai airways )
    Then , from Rangoon, you take a plane to fly to Bagan (one hour flight ) . The BEST air flight company is AIR MANDALAY . The other one belongs to the government and are not safe.

5) About security, it's probably less safe anywhere you are living in the U.S than in Burma! The probability that anything happens to you in Burma ( as long as you are cool, too ) is so low that it's probably one of the safest place in south east Asia.

6) DO absolutely a stop in Rangoon, and do-not-miss the "Schwedagon Pagoda" a jaw-dropping place with its "90 meters high "stupa" all surrounded by temples where everybody is praying. A magical place , day and night. And Rangoon is a nice old colonial town. Best place for merchandise and jewelry : the Aung San Market or "Scott market" ( a covered market built by the english 70 years ago.

7) Best hotel to live in Rangoon: the Pansea Rangoon hotel, member of the "orient express group" where you can pay, too, with your credit card. A dream place in the embassy quarter, a real oasis. An old governor teck wood mansion with only 48 rooms, but the Rooms are more expensive than the Bagan hotel. However, you can find some at good prices ( which means 175$ instead of 300$ ) at: http://www.burma-travels.com/burma-hotels.htm or have a look at the hotel site ( where rooms are more expensive ) at :
    http://www.pansea.com/yangon.html

8) Stay in Bagan, 4-5 days , and in Rangoon 2-3 days. And if you want to go somewhere else, go to Mandalay , the third not-to-miss location in Burma.

Hope this will help you!
    Last edited by loaloa; 04-20-2006 at 01:29 PM.

• just the beernecessities

Wow Alain, What a great photo journey! I was in that region of the world way back in 92. (Before digital photography) I am in awe of your photos. Thanks for the memories, it's nice to see some things are still in tact. Unfortunately due to the governmet.

Regards,
    August

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBaloo
    Wow Alain, What a great photo journey! I was in that region of the world way back in 92. (Before digital photography) I am in awe of your photos. Thanks for the memories, it's nice to see some things are still in tact. Unfortunately due to the governmet.

Regards,
    August
    Hello again, Alain Littaye, here.
    If you want to see more - and fantastic - photos of Bagan, run to this site where you'll find many more, and even better than some of my photos! :

http://www.molon.de/galleries/Myanmar/Bagan/

• Senior Minion

Alain,this is a beautiful photo album. It really has some beauty all it's own.I hope that someday, I will travel to this place. Wonderful!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.