Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Book at Disneyland???

From my last visit to Disneyland on March 28th, I found out that the books and CD set should be out by 5/05/05... the BIG day out here in Disneyland. There is plenty of retro-stuff out there at DL and DCA (pick up the Monorail game before they're gone), and the books and CDs should be there in a few weeks.

The description of the Mardi Gras parade at Universal sounded pretty much like any Mardi Gras parade I've been to in New Orleans, since I stay in the FAMILY FRIENDLY Uptown areas!! I had my sister and her family visit this year for the first weekend of the parades and her boys (8, 6, and 1) LOVED it. They were not exposed to ANYTHING that was close to inappropriate for them to see/hear/whatever.

Kevin, you really should come to New Orleans for Mardi Gras some time (though if you bring a little one, stay uptown on the parade route,don't plan on doing the French Quarter bit, and consider coming the weekend BEFORE The weekend before Mardi Gras (just a little bit tamer and less crowded along the parade route)

• (harmlessly)

I just recently bought the Tokyo DisneySeas dvd off ebay. It came quickly and did not disappoint. The packaging, music, filming and editing were all top notch (at least as top-notch as a NON-official Disney filmer could do -- Indy is pretty much all shadows, but everything else is gorgeous, especially the Sinbad ride!). All lands are included in the dvd, as are all rides and pieces of most of the shows, restaurants, shops and hotel. $35 seems a very reasonable price all things considered.

Ethically and legally...well, I'm guessing this isn't the sort of thing Disneylegal really wants floating around for sale. They own the copyrights to all of the rides and characters seen in these dvds, and do not like to let others play with or profit from them (as is their right). Such well-produced Disney-themed, non-Disney licensed products also create the very real threat of negative feedback/comparisons to their (eventual) "officially licensed" versions, and possibly diminishes sales on any current or future dvd versions of these park tours (although - let's be honest here - the only folks that would bother to buy these bootleg park dvds are Disney collectors and enthusiasts, the type of folks that would also buy the "official" dvds without hesitation). Another 'fear' Disney may have is that if one can simply sit in the crowd-free comfort of their own home and 'visit' all the parks and 'ride' all the rides, why would they bother to spend thousands of dollars to do so in the real thing? This seems less realistic though, as the dvds -- although quite complete -- still leave the viewer hungry and anxious to experience the 'real thing' for themselves. I know that if and when I finally get to TDS, you'd best believe I'll spend more than a couple of hours (the dvd's running time) exploring the park!
    That said, Disney is sure to put the kibosh on this real soon. Cease and desist letters are probably already en route. Hell, if they were able to accidentally make a martyr out of Jim Hill (as least in the mind of Jim Hill) for his unofficial DL tours, I think it's safe to say they'll be taking an interest in these dvds. So head on over to ebay and buy up your copies of these little digital diamonds before The Mouse makes it impossible! Your conscience will not bother you half as much for purchasing them as your collector's mentality will if you don't!
    Last edited by stalking lily chou-chou; 04-10-2005 at 09:05 AM.
    The Hedgehog's Dilemma

• Iron-Clad Allie

We can't go on together
    With suspicious minds
    And we can't build our dreams
    On suspicious minds

Elvis Has Left the Damn Building Again!

Ethically and legally, I respectfully disagree with stalking lily chou-chpi, above. Jim Hill made an unfortunate professional error by beginning his tours at the same spot the official Disneyland tours disembarked from - the Tour Guide Garden. A marter he is not. He did make a marter of Lance Hart over at Screamscape when he contemptuously attacked Hart over his Western River Expedition rumor.

In terms of unofficial Disney books, DVD's and websites, the Company and its Disneylegals are certainly not going to send the world crashing down on them - especially over somebody like Hill. Disney has its corporate hands full as it is with both sides of Walt's family (as represented by Roy and Abby Disney), internal management problems, faltering relationships with stablizing companies such as Pixar, plunging profit margins, and horrible overall PR.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-12-2005 at 10:33 PM.

• (harmlessly)

RIDE WARRIOR said: "Jim Hill made an unfortunate professional error by beginning his tours...A marter he is not."

Just for the record, I was being sarcastic when I mentioned Disney "accidentally making a martyr out of Jim Hill." That's why I immediately followed that line up with "at least in the mind of Jim Hill."

RIDE WARRIOR said: "In terms of unofficial Disney books, DVD's and websites, the Company and its Disneylegals are certainly not going to send the world crashing down on them - especially over somebody like Hill. Disney has its corporate hands full as it is with both sides of Walt's family (as represented by Roy and Abby Disney), internal management problems, faltering relationships with stablizing companies such as Pixar, plunging profit margins, and horrible overall PR."

I don't think you're correct there. I think that, busy or not, Disneylegal still keeps up with their copyright protection. Just a week or two ago, someone on these boards tried to make/sell a board-themed t-shirt ('Where in the Disneyworld' or something similar), and had the link pulled within a day or two. If Disneylegal attends the Miceage chatroom, I think it's safe to assume they also glance at the actual Miceage webpage.

Now, as an aside/disclaimer/full disclosure, I tend to side with the makers of quality Disney-themed, not necessarily Disney-licensed merch (like the dvds reviewed by Kevin) in discussions such as this. If Disney is too cheap or lacks the vision or is simply unwilling to make similarly memorable mementos, I'll give my cash to the folks that will. I do not see it as the same thing as buying bootleg 'Little Mermaid' dvds, as these park dvds have never been available via Disney. Should Disney decide to create a similar product, I'll gladly -- obsessively -- buy that too!
    The Hedgehog's Dilemma

• (harmlessly)

One more thing (two, actually):

Ride Warrior, I hope that my last post did not come off as either cocky or combative. I simply wanted to clarify my original thoughts and respond to yours. Sometimes the internet has a way of accidentally turning a conversation into an argument. Until they figure out a way to let us easily modulate and emote (without resorting to an over-abundance of emoticons and smilies), I guess we're doomed to the occassional misunderstanding of intent.

Oh, and on a topic we can both agree on: I love Elvis, too! 'Suspicious Minds' is one of my all-time favorite songs, although my girlfriend prefers 'From Elvis in Memphis's 'True Love Travels on a Gravel Road' -- she even calls it "our song". What that says about me as a boyfriend...well, I guess you can infer!
    The Hedgehog's Dilemma

• Iron-Clad Allie

!

STALKING LILY CHOU-CHOU -

You seem to be a SUPER individual all the way around...and a fellow Elvis fan to boot! It was certainly not my intention for my post to come across as confrontational either. Although, I do enjoy a good debate from time to time.

Including your suttle but effective jibe at Jim Hill, we collectively have three entries that admonish his character. This is a GOOD thing! I agree that in his own mind, the man considers himself as both marter and legend. One is left with the impression that Hill "humbly" desires to be the only entertainment journalist on the net with credible information.

If Jim were smarter, he'd realize he's more like a Wal-marter.

Copyright infringement is a crime punishable by law, as is plagerism. Disney certainly has the right to seek legal recourse in such cases, where intellectual property or the release of information has blatantly been infringed upon and/or misrepresented. Inevidably, they have taken business intities as well as individuals to court over such matters.

My personal belief is that the vast majority of unofficial Disney related books, DVD's and Internet sites are not guilty of any overt misinformation or material that is in conflict with Copyright law. And I don't think the Company will ever be able to control the release of private thought - positive, cynical or otherwise. To blatantly go on the attack against everybody would: a) be counter productive to Disney's image, b) prevent an immeasurable amount of free publicity, not to mention good will (making the Mouse look like a big rat), and c) it would suck, bite and blow!

Conversely, Disney has, itself, been subject to many mega-lawsuits over intellectual properties (Pooh and Tarzan being two cases in point), as well as theme park accidents. In the latter instance, the Walt Disney Company from day one, in my opinion, has been too quick to settle, and for too much. As a result, it has encouraged scam artists to create lawsuits, both major and frivalous.

I'm kind of an optimistic skeptic of sorts, and strive each day not to be paranoid, in a world full of both diamonds and crap.

Your position about a possible lawsuit binge by Disney is, unfortunately, a real possibility. Though, my contention is that there are too many barriers in place that will serve to keep the corporation from ever doing so.

Hey Mickey, you're so fine.
    You're so fine, you blow my mind.
    Hey Mickey! Don't sue me!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-14-2005 at 10:36 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12