Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

4/7: Review Queue

Kevin Looks at Two Books, a DVD, and a Parade, Plus he offers a Mini-WDW Photo Update. Talk about it here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Know More Than You Should

Lightbulb

Cool. It's not even there yet.

Say, BTW, I have established a MiceChat RSS Feed. You can find it here:

http://www.carouselofmagic.com/micechat.rss

• Know More Than You Should

Great article Kevin, as always.
    Last edited by Club 33; 04-07-2005 at 11:08 AM.

• Race Car Driver

I was at Universal last year for mardi gras. It was so much fun, I would plan a trip around attending it...
    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

• Fastpass Hater

That tidbit about the opening scenes in POTC is amazing.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    For reasons I cannot fathom, they have it at Walt Disney World but not yet at the Anaheim park which is the subject of the book!
    This seems to be a frustrating, and ongoing, problem with Disney, the fact that Walt Disney World gets more attention than Disneyland, sometimes in a blatantly obvious way. For instance, who got Walt Disney's 100th birthday celebration? WDW. A park which Walt himself never saw to completion got ALL the attention while Disneyland, the park he personally oversaw from construction to grand opening, got nothing. Walt's presence can be felt just seeing the things he left behind at Disneyland like his apartment and Club 33, not to mention the many pictures that show him walking throughout the park.

Then there's Disneyland's 50th Anniversary, the first Disney theme park to hit this milestone. But I bet if you asked a kid in Florida or Paris which park is celebrating it's 50th birthday, they'd say their own park! Very rarely is Disneyland mentioned, let alone for its 50th birthday, and to add insult to injury it seems that the other parks are getting more and better attractions for the event. It just boggles the mind why Disney sees the need to celebrate in every single park, let alone without even so much as mentioning the *reason* they are celebrating.

So I believe this book's abscence at Disneyland, while being about Disneyland, is actually normal behavior for the current company. At all costs, they seem to ignore Disneyland and lavish WDW with attention and tourist-attracting rides.

By the way, great column. I especially loved the trivia tidbits about Disneyland, they were SO interesting and original that I held on to every word. I simply had no clue about any of them!
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 04-07-2005 at 07:45 AM.

Should you guys really be promoting illegal DVDs that violate Disney copyright on this site?

I am surprised MiceAge would take on that liability, as these discs, no matter how "nice" they are, are of copyrighted images the seller does not own.

SWSA

• I love Florida - and lamp

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    This seems to be a frustrating, and ongoing, problem with Disney, the fact that Walt Disney World gets more attention than Disneyland, sometimes in a blatantly obvious way...

So I believe this book's abscence at Disneyland, while being about Disneyland, is actually normal behavior for the current company. At all costs, they seem to ignore Disneyland and lavish WDW with attention and tourist-attracting rides.
    Another terrific article, Kevin...

Athlonacon, I can see your point, but...

Plenty of east coasters have similar feelings about WDW's "new" attractions. Honestly, I doubt anyone who's seen "Lights, Motors, Action" in previews will put it down as a classic - the driving skills are super, but 45 minutes of Opels nearly colliding gets pretty repetitive. The Indy show holds up a whole lot better. As for "Cinderellabration" and the fireworks - um, that happens pretty much every year. Maybe Everest will make DAK worth a repeat visit - Anaheim already has Soarin' and Indy (which may never make it to Florida), so I suppose it's just perspective.

Of course, if you're interested in a time share, Reedy Creek has Cali pretty much beat...

BTW, Mardi Gras @ Universal this year has been great... I went to plenty of Mardi Gras parades when I lived in Biloxi, and it was nice not dealing with the bead-chasers who've been drinking since Christmas. Of course, everybody watching at USF kept their shirts on...

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by snowwhitesscaryadventures
    Should you guys really be promoting illegal DVDs that violate Disney copyright on this site?

I am surprised MiceAge would take on that liability, as these discs, no matter how "nice" they are, are of copyrighted images the seller does not own.

SWSA
    Good ethics point and not mine to decide for sure. I will say that if Miceage keeps promoting this DVD stuff, eventually the Disney legal team will perceive that it is more than just minor infractions and start to come after these guys. This AK thing looks prime. Maybe the best way to be sure there will always be DVDs of the rides is to try and keep it in the bulletin boards and off the main "radar screens" of the mouse. Just the way "Tough to be a Bug" was raved about for it's quality (especially being a film) reeks of typical Piracy. I guess I'm less worried about Inner Space being recreated in 3D as there are few takers for that niche product and he made the whole thing sans the soundtrack, but in-park ride videos are more competitive and feel dicey to me. I agree with Snow on this.

About Jeff Kurtti..
    Quite a coup for Disney to get him on this book. In addition to his being a Disney Author, if you look close, his company makes DVD supplemental materials on lots of Disney movies like Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, even WB stuff like Robin Hood, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Around the World in 80 days, etc.etc. Quite a talent.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

For those interested, the Disney Seas and Disneyland Paris DVDs have been available on eBay in the past... and yes, you can pay via PayPal. I haven't seen the Animal Kingdom one listed. Here is the link for the Disneyland Paris DVD on eBay...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1380&item=65220611 55&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

And here is the link for the Tokyo Disney Seas DVD...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1380&item=65231212 02&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I own both and can confirm that they are very professional in the quality produced... almost looks like something that Disney would do. The one thing that I found "annoying" was the use of a soundtrack. But that was just me.

On another subject... WDW has been producing very nice, if not excellent, DVDs on the individual parks. I have the Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Animal Kingdom volumes. The MGM one has not been released... yet. I think they are waiting for the official name change to the park.

• FastPass n00b

I just saw the trailers to the Tokyo and Paris DVDs and all I can say is, "WOW!". The pacing of these trailers is so incredibly good and the way the video syncs to the music is unbelievable. Make no mistake, these things are done with better pacing and emotion than MANY Hollywood trailers! It really brings back that classic Disneyland feeling when you first see the Paris trailer.

If this is a sign of how meticulous these DVDs were put together, I'd say they are well worth the $35. I was shocked with how professional this product really is. Like a few other people here, the legality kind of had me puzzled though. I once worked for a multimedia company and wanted to incorporate pictures of Sea World into the product with my digital camera, but I was told that *everything* in the park (including the animals) was copyright and I'd have to ask permission before I can use anything. It's a VERY minor point, and one that I just thought I'd bring up just for reference. I am so happy Ted created something like this, it really is something Disney should have taken the initiative to do. Very well done, Ted.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries
    Great column Kevin! I remember going to Test Track being somewhat difficult. This will be a nice addition.

The Art of Disneyland book sounds wonderful. I will have to add it to my list of things to buy.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

Great column as usual, Kev!!!
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• Gepetto 2

Well...not ever going to be able to go in person to DAK I ordered the DVD...
    probably will get the Diz Sea one as well.

If the Diz is smart, they'll hire the guy....but Diz gets most all my money anyway for just about everything else so if they have a complaint they can call and I'll show 'em the reciepts...come out with a like product and I'll buy it...this DVD isn't taking anything away from Diz $ registers...just adding to the legend.

Thanks Kevin for the tip.

Doug
    http://SpookyBook.com
    'Scary Dark Rides' Now in Hard & Soft Cover!
    The ONLY Dark Ride Book.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Immensely enjoyed the promos for the two books and the DVD, Kevin.

As there are plenty of unofficial Disney vacation guide books on the market (bookstores, etc.), there's certainly nothing wrong, copyright or otherwise, with DVD's of this nature, or books that focus on historical and educational facts.

There's narry a comment about the legitimacy of companies and author's turning a profit on unauthorized guide books, so why the hub bub from certain individuals over Disney oriented books that cover other topics of interest? It was quite nice of you, Kevin, to recommend that folks purchase Walt's People from Nibris.com (which you included a link to) so that the author would receive a greater percentage of the profits.

I look forward in hope that The Art of Disneyland will be offered at Disneyland in the future. It seems to me it would blend in with the 50th celebration at Walt's park perfectly. Ted Tabburo's Animal Kingdom DVD looks awesome too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast