• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

5/2: Center Stage, Off Stage! Part I

Guest columnist Steve DeGaetano on Disneyland's E.P. Ripley 'Out of Park' Visit. Discuss it here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 5/2: Center Stage, Off Stage! Part I

Whoamygod first.

The trains at Disneyland have always been really special to me. They were my first real 'train ride' and I always ride them even though I don't really need to get to another section of the park. Looking at those pics kinda made me sad... I miss my Disneyland

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Lacrossedragon
    Looking at those pics kinda made me sad... I miss my Disneyland
    I really tried to find some vintage photos from my collection that I don't think too many people have seen before. Didn't mean to make you sad, though!

Can you give any insite as to why the change in using the Frontierland station (how it was in the photo) to how it is used today?
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• Closed Account

In the picture of the train at Frontierland, the station building itself is sitting on top of the location of a restaurant you're probably very familiar with: The Blue Bayou.

That section of the park was very tight, and probably one of the reasons to move the station was to get more room, especially as New Orleans Square came into existence. The station was first moved westward, but still on the park side, in 1958.

Another factor that may have come into play was that by 1962, when the move across the tracks took place, "A-E" tickets were in use, so there was no need to actually purchase exclusive train tickets from the station agent that had manned both Main Street and Frontierland Station. With the elimination of the need to have a permanently-manned station, it was probably determined that the station building itself wasn't needed--and that a simple shed would suffice. Removing the station across the tracks opened up space even more, and when construction begin on Pirates in the mid-1960s, the entire track mainline in that area was moved westward, opening up even more space, and necessitating that the station be moved northward as well, to where it now sits.

In the move, the station went from being at 139 feet in elevation, to its current 144 feet!

• Bruce Timm is a genuis.

How will the train be transported to the Fullerton station? I mean, there aren't any connecting tracks from Disneyland to Fullerton!

And ooh... the Spaghetti Factory's right there, too...
    Light a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the night. Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My webpage, it's Blogtastic!

Now with working Guestbook!

Steve,

Thank you very much for your fine article. I as chairman of Fullerton Railroad Days and the entire Fullerton Railway Plaza Association are thrilled to be honored with the first outside appearence of the E P Ripley. We hope that it will be a big success.

This will be the eighth annual Fullerton Railroad days. We will have a record 120+ organizations and groups participating and hope to have many disney fans in attendance this year.

Thanks
    Fred Canfield
    [email protected]

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by pjdonnell
    How will the train be transported to the Fullerton station? I mean, there aren't any connecting tracks from Disneyland to Fullerton!
    Very true!

All 35 feet of engine and tender, coupled together, will make the journey on flatbed truck (I guess it's really called a "lowboy." The same company that hauled the 75 foot Lilly Belle will handle this job). Once at the station, it will be put into position on a piece of pre-fabricated "panel track."
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 05-02-2006 at 01:49 PM.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by fcanfield
    Steve,

Thank you very much for your fine article. I as chairman of Fullerton Railroad Days and the entire Fullerton Railway Plaza Association are thrilled to be honored with the first outside appearence of the E P Ripley. We hope that it will be a big success.

This will be the eighth annual Fullerton Railroad days. We will have a record 120+ organizations and groups participating and hope to have many disney fans in attendance this year.

Thanks
    Fred Canfield
    [email protected]
    Happy to help, Fred. My family and I have very much enjoyed going to previous Fullerton Railroad Days events! And I know my two-year-old train-fanatic son will have a great time!

Thanks to Steve for a truly excellent article! I just purchased his book and I can't wait to receive it!!!

I'll be attending the Fullerton Railroad Days event, too, after being inspired by Steve!

Dan
    Last edited by dgmoran; 05-02-2006 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks for that informative answer, Steve. I appreciate that.

Is the LA Live Steamers track really what was left of the Carolwood Pacific? I guess I need to purchase your book.

I'd love to see the Ripley up close, but I'm not looking forward to the event Saturday. If you think the lines at Disneyland are long...and the parking is atrocious.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• Senior Minion

Steve, thanks for the info on the E.P. Ripley interesting to know how this train has held up over the many years in operation. I look forward to your report from Fullerton.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Closed Account

Brer, I'm not a member of the LALS, so I don't know how much--if any--of Walt's track survives. Ties and rails wear out, so I don't know how much has been replaced.

TicTock, I still find it fascinating that the Disneyland trains continue to operate so reliably after so many years. A big reason, of course, is that they are meticulously maintained by folks who are both knowledgable and dedicated.

Check out LALS historical displays, bottom of page http://www.lals.org/exhibits.html#_tdb As I understand it only the barn, the locomotive "Lilly Belle" and some of the rolling stock are all that remains of the Carolwood Pacific.