Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

4/9: Riding the Comet

Guest columnist Alain Littaye takes you on Space Mountain: Mission 2 at Disneyland Paris. Discuss it here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• ...or just Tonny

Hmm, interesting article. Mostly positive. I've heard both positive and negative things so far. But just for the record - the old fersion of Space Mtn @ DLP already was the best version, most likely.

Anyway, I can't say I'm very impressed with what I've seen online. Music is kind of, eh, bad and plain...and wait, NO music before the launch is over?! Just a stupid countdown, in French of all languages! Geesh.

The re-entry effct looks cool, but the rest, well, it seems that as most new Disney things it's all about thrill and not about story or artistics anymore. I can't say anything conclusive untill try this thig for myself in december, but as for now, I'm expecting the worst...

• FastPass n00b

Thank you for the article, Alain. As usual, your column on this ride really makes me want to see it in person. This brings up an interesting situation for Anaheim's Disneyland with Space Mountain: Mission 2 being so technologically innovative. We all know that WDI works on all the parks, the only difference is funding. So given Disneyland's previous attractions record, which I'd have to say is mixed after seeing Pooh, Buzz, Tower of Terror and Autopia, it'll be interesting to see how they treat a pre-existing E-ticket. I guess if it was purely Matt Ouimett's idea, we shouldn't be concerned, even with such a classic attraction. But the project was greenlit under Harris/Pressler and it was only a year after Space Mountain closed that Matt came in and started cleaning up Disneyland. The wildcard here is how much preliminary work was completed before Matt could step in and revamp it. The other factor is that Tower of Terror is *extremely* impressive, but rather short and it was done under Harris/Pressler. Since Space Mountain's length is already predetermined, it's entirely possible that given the incredible theming and design of ToT, Space Mountain could match or exceed Paris's Space Mountain even if it was greenlit under Pressler. In any case, this new Paris Space Mountain makes our redesign of Space Mountain WAY more interesting and now I really can't wait to see which Mountain is the best.

• Know More Than You Should

It looks and sounds awesome! Thank you for another great article Alain.

• I love Florida - and lamp

I agree with all, Alain... terrific article. Has the track in Mission 2 changed at all? I believe that the 360 on DLP's Mountain was the first surprise I'd had at a Disney park in a long time (RnR at the Studios was still a year off).

Please keep up the flow of articles, Alain. Your writing is the creme de la creme of Net Disney!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Nice to see the show isn't as bad as feared, although the amount of history removed, both Discovery Mountain and the original "early science fiction" theme beyond the cannon located throughout the queue, is kind of sad, really.

All in all, sounds like DLP finally got some kind of an apology for the past few "attractions," huh? I still think that while the cannon is a neat idea, that mountain is an ugly mother from the outside.

• wasting time

Quote Originally Posted by Seatac Toad
    Has the track in Mission 2 changed at all?
    It's the same as before. There's one loop and two corkscrews (a big one & a little one) if I remember correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    All in all, sounds like DLP finally got some kind of an apology for the past few "attractions," huh? I still think that while the cannon is a neat idea, that mountain is an ugly mother from the outside.
    I'd hardly call a new overlay an apology for a 10 year-and-counting lack of new rides. I couldn't disagree with you more about the look of the mountain outside. If you got to EDL I'm sure you'll take a real liking to it, especially at night.

I like the column but I'm still not impressed by Mission 2, especially after hearing the cut & paste soundtrack which was posted in this thread. It sounds like a leftover song from the recording sessions for The Incredibles (Michael Giacchino wrote the new piece). Removing the Jules Verne theme in favor of a supernova or two is not my idea of an improvement for an attraction in a land that's themed to Jules Verne's ideas of the future.

Looking back at the past 13 years Euro Disneyland has been open the following attractions have been added:
    • Casey JR
    • Le Pays de Contes de Fees
    • Indiana Jones
    • Les Mysteres du Nautilus
    • Space Mountain : De La Terre A La Lune
    • Honey, I Shrunk the Audience
    • Space Mountain : Mission 2
    while the following attractions have been removed:
    • Indian Canoes
    • River Rogue Keelboats
    • Les Pirouettes Du Vieux Moulin
    • Le Visionarium
    • Cinemagique: Captain EO
    • Space Mountain : De La Terre A La Lune
    It's been thirteen years and only two " E-Ticket " attractions has been added. There have been swap outs (ex; De La Terre A La Lune-->Mission2, Captain EO--> H.I.S.T.A.) but those do not give the park any net gain on the attraction roster. I really wish the Walt Disney Co. would invest some serious money into this park so they can build some brand new original attractions w/o ripping out their old ones. They certainly have the room for it & the will to build new things. Give them some more money please!

• Banned User

Thanks for the great article Alain. I had to laugh a bit when you said "Now DLP has the best Space Mountain of all.." Wasn't that the case before the new makeover?!?!

Also, my concern at this time is them maintenance making sure the special effects and projections are kept in top form. DLP (and WDW too) has had a long history of neglect in regads to some of their rides' systems and EFXs and the old Space Mountain was proof of that. (Problems with no sound on trains, no retracting cannon with smoke etc etc) So the only way I can see the success of Space Mission2 being assured is to make sure it performs well on a constant basis. I sure hope they don't fall to WDW's ways of killing an effect rather than maintaining it. (Oh how we miss the crashing car with dummy in Test Track..now sitting dead as we go by..)

Anyways... great article and I am sure looking foward to riding SMM2 in the next few months when I get back to Paris.

• Official MC Thread Killer

It sounds amazing! I really want to see a video of this or at least hear the new soundtrack and compare it to the older one, which I LOVED!!! I also wouldn't be surprised if we saw some of those effects in the new DL one... like the comet effect...
    BLOCK - PARTY - BASH
    I'm gonna sing it; from the heart behind these hands

Please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated inside the theater safely

• wasting time

Quote Originally Posted by 1stStarIC2nite
    I really want to see a video of this or at least hear the new soundtrack and compare it to the older one, which I LOVED!!!

**Cough *Cough ***:

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Minion
    I like the column but I'm still not impressed by Mission 2, especially after hearing the cut & paste soundtrack which was posted in this thread.

• Official MC Thread Killer

**Cough *Cough ***:
    Thanks!!! But the link for the new soundtrack isn't working........
    BLOCK - PARTY - BASH
    I'm gonna sing it; from the heart behind these hands

Please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated inside the theater safely

Last edited by Pirate Wench; 04-27-2005 at 08:53 PM.

• ...or just Tonny

It's the same as before. There's one loop and two corkscrews (a big one & a little one) if I remember correctly.
    It has a sidewinder ( half loop, half corkscrew), a corkscrew and a tongue ( half corkscrew with the 2nd half being mirrored ).

• "Retired" DL Tour Guide

excellent update! I can only hope that some of the effects they installed in Paris (i.e. giant comet) make it to Anaheim this July!!!!
    -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
    -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
    --DCA: World Of Color

Not impressed!

I was riding Space Mountain Mission 2 on the Shareholder Preview on April 3. I used to love the old ride, only in the last few years it had gotten so rough, it wasn't much fun to ride it anymore. So I was looking forward to the new ride very much. The wait wasn't that bad, about 30 min.

The first disappointment was that there was no music from leaving the station until after the shoot out of the canon. Second disappointment was that the ride was as rough as ever, gave me a headache and the third was the underwhelming music. The old music was very emotional, always gave me goosebumps when I heard it. The new effects where neat, but not much special. I also liked the old moon-effect. The only thing I really liked was the new spiral effect at the end. All said, I would rather have preferred if they would have invested the money in new tracks and possibly ride vehicles to make it again smoother. When I left the ride, I felt sad and felt no need to ride it again any time soon.

Marc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast