Thread: old articles?

• Rock Star Minion

old articles?

Love the articles, Kev!
    I'd like to be able to view some of the older stuff not available on the web. Is it possible to store those for posterity? I'm thinking specifically of the DLR AP rants you've made, and I'd like to see something on that subject with even more meat (numbers, monetary and percentage of parkgoers, for example) on it.
    (I'm not really interested in buying a CD-ROM of them, though. Some information is necessary for the public good.)
    And thanks for the new viewpoint on WDW to miceage!

• MiceAge Columnist

As an addicted websurfer myself, I hear you about wanting material available for posterity. I can think of several newspapers or magazines who offer their content online when it's fresh for free, but would charge for access to the archives.

Doing an archives online for a fee would take a great deal of administration and set up - which leaves the CD-ROM solution. Like I said, I understand not wanting to shell out for old articles. And yet, it may come to that as the only possible solution. Not doing so would be the equivalent of not-valuing the prior articles we've done, as if to imply they have no worth. Those who think so (I don't mean YOU, sediment!!) are of course entitled to continue thinking in that vein... but they also won't get the content.

We are, in other words, inching toward a CD-ROM and have been for some time. What I haven't decided is how much of my "other" content to include (original drafts of MousePlanet articles, my sub-websites on attractions like the Castle, Space Mountain, Limo, etc).
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    Kevin, your drafts, sub-websites, etc would be fantastic. Perfect bonus material, and I know how Al likes to add value to the product.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Rock Star Minion

Could the CD-ROM have all the "it's" changed to "its" where appropriate? I'll help, for a fee. A free copy of the CD-ROM will do.
    (Offer void in U.S.)

• MiceAge Columnist

*grin*

I'll have you know that it's/its confusion annoys me probably as much as it does you. Possibly even more. We shall make every endeavor to have any potential CD-ROM scrubbed free of all such typos. ESPECIALLY it's/its confusion!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Banned User

I would purchase a CD annually of the content....

I would also help pay.. (but i have no job and still in HS..) too bad i suck at writting.. or i would do some articles/ editorials on Anheuser busch's parks for some sites.....

• And a hippin' and a hopin

If you had the oppertunity to make your old articles free without having to spend money on bandwidth and space, would you sieze it?

• Waiting for the monorail

Thanks for the heads up Kevin. I've been waiting for this CD for a while, glad to hear it is in the planning stages!

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan25863
    If you had the oppertunity to make your old articles free without having to spend money on bandwidth and space, would you sieze it?
    It's not a hosting issue - it's a valuation issue. To offer it for free would be to imply that I think it has no value.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

• Always dreaming

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee
    It's not a hosting issue - it's a valuation issue. To offer it for free would be to imply that I think it has no value.
    With all do respect, does it really have any value to anyone else other than Disney fans? I understand that it represents lots of time and effort on your part, but did you really start MiceAge as a commercial venture, expecting to make a living? The website itself is free, and all of the old articles were online, free, at one point or another. The fact that you made them available for free represents that you yourself feel they had no real valuation. If you did in fact, then MiceAge would have been a subscription service, available for a fee. I myself am a great fan of MiceAge, and your articles in particular, so whatever choice you make I will fully respect it.

• Banned User

yes.. but rnning Mioceage is not free.... webhosting can get expensive.. esp with the amount of bandwith it must go through a month.......

• Always dreaming

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    yes.. but rnning Mioceage is not free.... webhosting can get expensive.. esp with the amount of bandwith it must go through a month.......
    Then make it a subscription serivce. There are many who would gladly pay for the fine weekly articles on the site.

If the people running this site pay for it than by all means they have the right to charge. However posting old articles for free would not devalue them, it would just be a nice gesture. I didn't know they were supposed to have monitary value in the first place. They are great articles, and the fact that people would reread an archive is a testiment to their merit. I do see the reasoning behind charging for time spent writing. If you charge for the archives though, it makes sense to charge for the site in the first place.