Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

4/12: Splash Down

Splash Mountain is No Laughing Matter, Nemo/Asimo/Tiki, Crush-ing, All Un-a-board, Rehab Photos... discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Minion

It's not up yet!
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• MiceAge Columnist

Al always posts a message about it in micechat first, so he can have a URL to link to in the story itself.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Great update, Al. I'm happy to hear that Turtle Talk will be arriving...should help bring more kids and families into Animation. I'm kinda sorry to hear that the monorail will be closed next year, during the 50th, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. Should be nice to see new monorail trains though
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

great article al

I really enjoy reading the updates

• Diamond In The Rough

Great update - and we don't mind waiting if they keep up this quality.

Thanks.

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

Poor Splash. I'm still curious to know how the log problem happened in the first place. We keep hearing that CAD design is supposed to prevent design problems like this. The old logs were all destroyed??? Hmmm... they didn't sell any on EBay? Weird.

• Banned User

Great update, but when are we going to get some news on Rockit Mountain?

• Banned User

I will be so pissed if Splash Mountain is closed in May!

• The Original Attic Ghost

Splash for Cash

Do you remember when Splash Mtn was about to open for the first time. McDonald's had a big promo for it's debut called Splash for Cash. While MickeyD's ran there promo, the ride wasn't ready. The problem back then was the length of the logs, they were too long for the flume and got stuck. They had to rebuild all the logs before the ride could open. I can't believe this is happening all over again. You would think they would have learned from the first time.

• Senior Minion

AL, I'm jealous of the waffle and strawberries, sounds delicious. Anyway, I was just wanting to comment on the Tiki room entrance.

As I have posted before it is much more inviting, Sort of (as the old guard would say) the "Wienie" that entices people to follow and enjoy. It is much more open and beautifully decorated.

When I went back in March, one of the castmembers (female) was wearing a Hawaiian dress. While there was one person not even in Indy costume, just dress slacks, probably head CM for that area?

The lemonade stand needs to go, It drowns out the Golden Horseshoe and foot traffic is a little crazy when the show is outside.

Al, thank you for the update.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Know More Than You Should

Thanks for the update Al. This is so classic with the Splash Mountain logs. They spend lots of money on an idea only to find out they have to fix it.

• FastPass n00b

Thanks for the update Al, as always, it's a real treat on a Tuesday morning. I remember on the old DIG site on MP it used to be weeks, if not months, before your updates so some people are really spoiled it would seem. Please know that most of your readers truly appreciate your efforts, no matter what the frequency.

So it would seem there's still a chance the Nemo ride could be all rumor and no substance as long as it's officially unannounced. With the keeping of the "Club Buzz", we've got a stage, a food court, a ride, and a shop all themed the Buzz Lightyear! Also, Space Mountain and <ugh> Astro Orbitor and Innoventions (if those even count) will be the only things in Tomorrowland not based off a movie. Time to break out the ol' imagination and stop relying so much on Pixar to do things for WDI. It's nice to have all-new rides that aren't shipped directly from Florida, but Disneyland is not Universal Studios, no one goes there to go on rides that have a "been-there-done-that" feel to them because the characters and story has already been established before you even ride. Let's face it, will kids *really* care about Nemo and Buzz 20 years from now? It seems no one even cares about TARZAN anymore (it's only been 6 years), not to mention Pirates of the Carribbean and the Tiki Room have been captivating kids and adults for decades almost unchanged because they have a timeless feel to them. There's no pop culture involved so they could go on entertaining for another 40-50 years unchanged, whereas most kids today probably don't even remember Tarzan at all!
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 04-12-2005 at 08:14 AM.

•   
    • Minion

I can't believe that they distroyed all the old logs before knowing for certain that the new logs where going to work... Ugh... Talk about a nightmare... They probably didn't keep/research their notes from the last time they had log problems...

I am still curious if you know what is going in the motorboat area... My eye brow raises as they do work, but no plan is mentioned...

It will be great to see those Honda robots in action...

That block party is a bit problematic, I saw that when they mentioned the ball thing... Ugh!

Thanks, Al... Again, I am not complaining... I just think it is time for us to give you breakfast for once...
    Check out my other blog:

• Senior Minion

The Splash Down news has me fuming. I'd put in a bunch of symbols to replace the cursing, but what would be the point. Al, it made me spit coffee out my nose on to the monitor. I guess I should have gotten a waffle.

It would seem to me that they'd do better to just to take the current logs and run them through a band saw to get rid of the back seat or something, and keep the ride up and running until they can shoot the lawyers who forced this change in the first place, and make new logs that work. Even limited capacity is better than no capacity at all, don't you think?

It should have been caught in design, it should have been caught in testing and QA, and it wasn't. Another low moment in DL history.

Shoot. My favorite ride in DL, we go down in a couple of weeks, and it'll be down. A foul pox indeed upon the houses of whoever perpetuated this monstrous deed.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast