Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: 5/30: Here's Johnny!

POTC turns fifty in 10 years. HUUUMMM Bet they dig the old Captain out for that and Jack does a disappearing act. Thats what I think. So will everyone be upset that they are getting rid of Captain Jack in ten years and going back to retro pirates ?

Just rewatched the bonus Disneyland POTC ride feature on disc 2 of the first movie. Wow there have been so many changes over the years.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    The "aren't we glad to be in Southern California" masturbation (sorry, I'm going to call it for what it is) at the bottom of page one is obnoxious and frankly rude. I'm sure it's true to a degree but to talk so rudely about "fat Princesses" (what princess did Al run into, I wonder?) and the like is like saying that Tokyo Disneyland has nothing but Asians playing every character. It's stereotypical and also not really true.
    Just FYI, Tokyo imports white people from America and elsewhere to fill the roles of caucasian characters. That's because having a Japanese Belle would look funny, not because the Japanese are racist against Japanese people.

It's the same way with having fat Jasmines. Of course not every single person cast in WDW is improper for the role (hence Al made a generalization, not a statement of totality). Your comment about "southern california masturbation" is rather rude and condescending in and of itself, when those involved in the industry realize that people who are filling a role need to look a certain way. Yes, it is completely superficial. Of course it is! That's the nature of the thing. You are making it seem like Al has some sort of prejudice against overweight people, which is simply not the case.

EDIT: Regarding the FastPass talk, I've always said that FP exists simply because it rests on the shoulders of those who don't use it for whatever reason. Because if everyone knew about using it to hop big lines, they'd use it just for that purpose and with everyone doing it, the bonus of it would be negated. I feel this at DL as I found FastPass works a lot less effectively than it does at WDW, because more people at DL are informed about how to use it. There's no advantage unless there's people being taken advantage of.

This is bad for a theme park, but in DL it's even more laughable. Because in WDW it's the case of the few (the informed people) taking advantage of the many (the people who don't know or refuse FastPass.) But in DL it's the many taking advantage of the few. As you can guess, the latter offers less rewards.
    None of what you wrote above makes any sense to me. (The only thing that makes sense is your later comment about the capacity for an attraction not increasing because of fastpass... well of course!)

The fastpass system is not ANYONE taking advantage of ANYONE. The system is open to everyone and is available on maps in nearly every language. It is not "line hopping". I've already written my piece earlier on this topic in this thread so I won't repeat myself yet again, but equating fastpass to tourist abuse is dumb. If you hate fastpasses so much and feel like you're taking advantage of all those dumb tourists who can't read in their own language but somehow made it to disneyland... then go wait in the standby line, by all means.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    Your comment about "southern california masturbation" is rather rude and condescending in and of itself, when those involved in the industry realize that people who are filling a role need to look a certain way. Yes, it is completely superficial. Of course it is! That's the nature of the thing. You are making it seem like Al has some sort of prejudice against overweight people, which is simply not the case.
    I think you're missing the point quite a bit. This isn't about whether Al was "right" or whether or not Cinderella should weigh under 300 pounds, it's about the way he tried to convey those points. His "nose job" comment and the general Southern CA smugness he verbally rejoiced in were not the work of a tactful man and in such a case such reactions are to be expected. Surely you can understand that this could raise a neck hair or two on a person not from LA:
    Without the easy access to the Los Angeles entertainment industry that Disneyland enjoys, the WDW characters too often feature folks who would never get a call-back in California. Orlando too often has Princesses who are too short, too fat or who need nose jobs, Princes who are so chubby they look like the real characters nerdy brother, and overall entertainment offerings that are simply not ready for prime time. [...] hoping the Floridians don't embarrass themselves too much with whatever they're able to find out there in the swamp.
    ...especially when you consider that the author is himself from the area. You can't go around poking people and then get all "well I never" when someone yanks the stick out of your hand and hurls it at your head.

Al was very rude in his comments. You have to call it what it is folks.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

The fastpass system is not ANYONE taking advantage of ANYONE. The system is open to everyone and is available on maps in nearly every language.
    But he was right in saying locals and frequent visitors know how to abuse it...things like knowing that they can get a FP a certain amount of time before the "Next FP available at" time on thier FP ticket, and so on. It is abusable. If you don't know the loopholes you won't get the full advantage of it. So I think he was right saying what he did.

• Vehicle rotating backward

It's the same way with having fat Jasmines. Of course not every single person cast in WDW is improper for the role (hence Al made a generalization, not a statement of totality). Your comment about "southern california masturbation" is rather rude and condescending in and of itself, when those involved in the industry realize that people who are filling a role need to look a certain way. Yes, it is completely superficial. Of course it is! That's the nature of the thing. You are making it seem like Al has some sort of prejudice against overweight people, which is simply not the case.
    Yes, it is masturbation when you talk about how the face characters are so much prettier when you live next door to Hollywood.

Correlation is NOT the same thing as causation.
    I'm giving that sentence it's own line because it's so important.

If he wanted to say DL has better actors, fine, a subjective opinion but a fair one. But to sit around and ramble about how it's because LA is filled with acting talent and Orlando pulls out Swamp Things and puts them in dresses, there's nothing factual to back that up. Thus, senseless masturbation.

And there's more to it than just look, there's how well they handle children and situations that may arise, etc. If she doesn't have a nose job, but the little girl runs back to Mom and says Cinderella is just as nice as she is on TV, then what's it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by figmentpigment
    and (this is a completely silly arguement), even if somehow fastpass does make standby last longer, the line is physically a bit shorter (since people who would normally be in standby are off somewhere else in the park) and more of the poor standby people get air conditioning sooner =) thats definetly one of my priorities. and why im glad at WDW we can fastpass the sunny thunder mountain line and wait out the nice, cool splash line.
    Except, see, when you do that, Splash has a longer wait because you're waiting in it's line when, without FP, you'd be waiting at Thunder.

FP affects rides that aren't even FP rides, since it essentially allows you to make a duplicate of yourself and stand in two lines at once. Each person in a line makes it that much longer the before the next person can load.

Standby queues for FP rides may be shorter than they would be without FP, but because of all the people coming in and using their FP, it actually moves slower.

The fastpass system is not ANYONE taking advantage of ANYONE. The system is open to everyone and is available on maps in nearly every language.
    I understand that. What I'm trying to say is that it only works because not everybody uses it. If everybody uses it then it would collapse under it's own math. This is true and you can see it in action if you go to WDW, where using FP can cause you to jump a hundred people on Space Mountain and find yourself behind maybe ten other FastPassers. It's so absurd that you feel like you're stealing. But at DLR, FP Return lines can be almost as long as Standby lines, because more people use it.

Perhaps the problem is not that people don't know how FP works, but they don't know/see the advantages of it. Being able to wait in two lines at the same time is a huge advantage over someone waiting in line themselves for each ride they use. Again, if everyone saw the advantages of FP that we do, everyone would use it, and the bonus of FP would disappear.

Because if everyone used FP, FP return lines would be as long as Standby, and there would be no bonus to FP. This is nearly the case in DL.

If you hate fastpasses so much and feel like you're taking advantage of all those dumb tourists who can't read in their own language but somehow made it to disneyland... then go wait in the standby line, by all means.
    APs are not all locals. I don't want to pit this into AP VS 3-Day again because that's a recipe for disaster. I think removing them from the SoCal and SoCal Select is a good idea because these APs only cost as much as a 2 or 3 day visit (respectively) to DL and yet offer so many more days to visit. Even if 11 months of the year were blacked out (an absurd idea), that's still 31 days for the price of 3.

I think because they're such a bargain in this regard, FP should be taken off of them. You have to live close to the park to get the tickets in the first place, so it's not like you're punishing someone who would have to drive long hours to come back.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 06-01-2006 at 09:39 AM.

• Earth Intruder

Quick note to comment on what pussnboots said -- frankly if "the point" is not Al's point (which you seem to agree with) but rather, the way he said it... then I think you are being way too sensitive. So we'll agree to disagree on that. It is no harsher than any other casting call or audition, which I guess could be a tad disconcerting to those not involved in the Industry. I thought America was slightly de-sensitized after the advent of American Idol

If he wanted to say DL has better actors, fine, a subjective opinion but a fair one. But to sit around and ramble about how it's because LA is filled with acting talent and Orlando pulls out Swamp Things and puts them in dresses, there's nothing factual to back that up. Thus, senseless masturbation.
    And just as subjective on your behalf as well.

And there's more to it than just look, there's how well they handle children and situations that may arise, etc. If she doesn't have a nose job, but the little girl runs back to Mom and says Cinderella is just as nice as she is on TV, then what's it matter?
    It doesn't really in that situation, but that's not the point.

To follow your argument, that's like saying, well, if half the effects on Indiana Jones are broken, but you still have a fun time on the ride, then what's it matter?

You ever see a Jasmine come out with hairy, bushy arms and a mustache? Or an Ariel whose flab is hanging out like a mushroom? (I have.) Do you not think those things are bad show? This is nothing against overweight or hairy people, but rather, are they the type to fit that role. Yeah, it's totally superficial, but that's what 90% of show business is about.

Standby queues for FP rides may be shorter than they would be without FP, but because of all the people coming in and using their FP, it actually moves slower.
    Tru dat. But there are enough rides that if you make sure you have a fastpass for something at all times, you'll wait in less lines throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeMania
    I understand that. What I'm trying to say is that it only works because not everybody uses it. If everybody uses it then it would collapse under it's own math. This is true and you can see it in action if you go to WDW, where using FP can cause you to jump a hundred people on Space Mountain and find yourself behind maybe ten other FastPassers.
    It certainly does NOT collapse on its own math, because there are a limited number of fastpasses given out during the day, based on the capacity of the attraction.

It's so absurd that you feel like you're stealing. But at DLR, FP Return lines can be almost as long as Standby lines, because more people use it.
    I don't see how using a free guest service that is open to everyone is "stealing". Your second sentence is completely untrue. In all the times I've been to the park, I can't even think of a time when the fastpass line was as long as the Standby line. Ever.

Because if everyone used FP, FP return lines would be as long as Standby, and there would be no bonus to FP. This is nearly the case in DL.
    Again, completely untrue since this is not happening. Your argument does not work because there are a limited number of fastpasses given out.

APs are not all locals. I don't want to pit this into AP VS 3-Day again because that's a recipe for disaster. I think removing them from the SoCal and SoCal Select is a good idea because these APs only cost as much as a 2 or 3 day visit (respectively) to DL and yet offer so many more days to visit. Even if 11 months of the year were blacked out (an absurd idea), that's still 31 days for the price of 3.

I think because they're such a bargain in this regard, FP should be taken off of them. You have to live close to the park to get the tickets in the first place, so it's not like you're punishing someone who would have to drive long hours to come back.
    Wow yes, us APs are PUNISHING those day trippers by our presence. We are STEALING by buying Annual Passes. We are ABUSING our annual passes by using them for admission.

Give it a rest.

Sorry, but it just seems that people with this attitude either need to move to Los Angeles, or get over it.
    Last edited by Chernabog; 06-01-2006 at 10:53 AM.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

• Hey, that's not Rose!

Quote Originally Posted by flwdw52
    Al was very rude in his comments. You have to call it what it is folks.
    Ok.....As someone who is short and a little fat, I would never try out for a princess role. Why would I embarras myself like that? I know I don't fit the role, so I would never even try. I thought what Al said was pretty funny. I think we are overreacting to this one.

On another note, I am glad to see that Disney raised the wages, even though it's practically nothing lol. They need to figure out something fast though, or I can see that strike or walkout happening when they want kids to work 80 hour weeks during the summer.

Oh yah and just to add an opinion (we all know I love doing this), I love FP. Me, I have a crooked spine and flat feet. For me, standing in line for over an hour hurts me quite a bit. I only FP the rides that I know I will have to be standing in for over an hour, Indy, Splash, SM. Otherwise I am fine. And, I only use 1 on each ride per day. I think that maybe they should come up with new technology that lets each guest get 1 FP for each ride each day. This way more people will have a chance to take advantage. And maybe at the gate, the CM could explain it briefly or something, or hand out a flyer with the maps. On the other hand, I know ALOT of people who enjoy waiting in lines, just because that is what they have been used to over the years. Ok, I know this is an argument that will never be solved.
    It's Robin Hood I want!

Disneyworld 1987

• I'm your huckleberry.

Thus, senseless masturbation.
    All masturbation is senseless. That's why its fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Hey, that's not Rose!

Originally Posted by MickeyMania

Wow yes, us APs are PUNISHING those day trippers by our presence. We are STEALING by buying Annual Passes. We are ABUSING our annual passes by using them for admission.

Sorry, but it just seems that people with this attitude either need to move to Los Angeles, or get over it.
    Would AP's be opposed to NOT being able to use FP during peak seasons? You get to go anytime in the off season and use them, plus lines are shorter then anway. Just a thought.
    It's Robin Hood I want!

Disneyworld 1987

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfreeek
    Would AP's be opposed to NOT being able to use FP during peak seasons? You get to go anytime in the off season and use them, plus lines are shorter then anway. Just a thought.
    Yeah, we would for two reasons:

1) Why should APers be punished for the way they get admission to the park? Kinda throws the whole "APers should be treated the same (not better, not worse) than anyone else who comes to Disneyland" argument out the window.

2) What happens when you go with friends? Would APers be expected to wait at ride exits for their friends who can get fastpass? Should people who go to DL with APers be penalized for their association?

• I'm your huckleberry.

1) Why should APers be punished for the way they get admission to the park? Kinda throws the whole "APers should be treated the same (not better, not worse) than anyone else who comes to Disneyland" argument out the window.

2) What happens when you go with friends? Would APers be expected to wait at ride exits for their friends who can get fastpass? Should people who go to DL with APers be penalized for their association?
    Great post Cherny.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Hey, that's not Rose!

Ok. So what if FP went to a purchase per visit system like Six Flags Marine World? Would you rather have to do that or give up a few weeks of using it?
    It's Robin Hood I want!

Disneyworld 1987

• feministsocialistvegan

thats what i just said. duh?

I understand that. What I'm trying to say is that it only works because not everybody uses it. If everybody uses it then it would collapse under it's own math. This is true and you can see it in action if you go to WDW, where using FP can cause you to jump a hundred people on Space Mountain and find yourself behind maybe ten other FastPassers. It's so absurd that you feel like you're stealing. But at DLR, FP Return lines can be almost as long as Standby lines, because more people use it.
    i completely disagree with that. disney world is my park (im on the east coast) and fastpass is definetly more advertised at WDW than DL. which would suggest its used more. and you're missing the point entirely, anyway. there are a SET NUMBER of fastpasses given out. so it doesnt matter if everyone in the park decides they want a fastpass for space mountain. they aren't all gonna get one. THATS why the system works. thats why fastpass lines arent very long. you have a set window to come back, which keeps the line short. the ONLY way a fastpass line would get long would be if the CMs let someone come in after their ticket's time had passed.

this isnt complicated.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by figmentpigment
    the ONLY way a fastpass line would get long would be if the CMs let someone come in after their ticket's time had passed.
    Well, they do (the only park I hear where they ONLY give you that one hour window is in Tokyo, not sure about WDW). However, the fastpass line still isn't long. I usually get a fastpass for Space Mountain every time I go to the park and use it outside the one hour window... and even in the evenings, when those "late fastpasses" are used, there is still never a wait before the lines merge.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast