Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: 5/30: Here's Johnny!

My co-workers just looked at me like I've lost my mind. I read that they're doing away with the stupid 1997 PC changes in POTC, and yelled "YES!".

That's the best news I've heard in a LONG time. I cannot wait to see the new ride!

What a fabulous update Al!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Hiccup!
    What a great, informative update. But, oh my! I think I hear the sounds of the Al haters at that other web site crawling out from under their rocks and sharpening their claws. I wonder if they'll let Marcie out of his box to try to make Al's info sound inaccurate.
    It's the reason for that other site's existence so, I'd say, duh. lol

I am pretty saddened that there were all these great things happening this year, and when all is said and done we get a few Johnny Depp animatronics and more ride closures. Whee!
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Banned User

FastPass will work with most attractions and the Sub ride is no different. Yes, the FastPasses would be gone by noon or 1 pm and the standby line would be long.
    That's fine: it works perfectly well in Walt Disney World at Test Track and Soarin.
    It works perfectly well in Tokyo Disneyland at Buzz Lightyear and Pooh's Hunny Hunt.
    No problems, except that we are given a choice of whether or not to wait in line by getting our butts to the park early.
    Fine with me.
    FastPasses are a great thing, and the only people who complain about them, generally, are the people who aren't holding one in their hand!

Quote Originally Posted by The Goddess Mara
    FastPass will work with most attractions and the Sub ride is no different. Yes, the FastPasses would be gone by noon or 1 pm and the standby line would be long.
    That's fine: it works perfectly well in Walt Disney World at Test Track and Soarin.
    It works perfectly well in Tokyo Disneyland at Buzz Lightyear and Pooh's Hunny Hunt.
    No problems, except that we are given a choice of whether or not to wait in line by getting our butts to the park early.
    Fine with me.
    FastPasses are a great thing, and the only people who complain about them, generally, are the people who aren't holding one in their hand!
    I am one of the few who think Fast passes suck huge funnelcakes...

I remember the times when I could ride space mountain 3-4 times in a day. Now, I have to decide whether to ride it or splash mountain even one time. think about it....splash and space have two lines and using one up for fast pass. This allows fast pass holders a minimal 5-15minute wait and the stand by people a 70-90 minute wait. Talk about the haves and have nots....

I dare say if fast pass was totally eliminated, a handful of spectacular E-ticket rides ( Indy, Space, Splash) would have maybe 45-60 minute waits for most of the day and taper off later in the evening to 30 minutes or less. Similarly the subs will have enormous lines for a few months but once everyone rides it a few times, those lines will taper off too. I'd rather wait for an hour on all of the E-tickets than have to pick and choose which ones I'll have to leave off of my trip.

I am tickled to hear in Al's update that the new exec's want to get rid of fast pass by hopefully the end of the decade. I totally agree with that decision.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Jr.
    I am one of the few who think Fast passes suck huge funnelcakes...

Mmmmm, funnelcakes... (gurgle)
    Check out my other blog:

• hatbox ghost believer

Thanks for the great update. I, too, was one of the many that screamed "Yes!" whne you announced teh removal of the "PC" crap that was installed earlier. The changes sound fantastic. I can't wait to see the changes myself in July (along with the recent THM refurb as well).

As for the subs & fastpass dilemma, I think they did the right thing by scapping it. The program CAN work sometimes, but as a friend & I experienced last year on Indy, the passes for the entire day were gone by noon (and the park was open til Midnight that day).

Finally, management better get a grap on how poorly they treat the CM's. I find their employee relations rather sickening considering that they expect the CM's to treat the customers with respect & courtesy, yet they don't receive it themselves (or a decent salary/pay). Poo! Poo!

Regardsarama,

Jon
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• What have I done?

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    I have to say the dropping of placemaking is very saddening for me. I owuld have liked to have seen a period specific entrance area.
    As would have I. At least we might get a better Paradise Piert out of this instead.

"This guy!"

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Jr.
    I dare say if fast pass was totally eliminated, a handful of spectacular E-ticket rides ( Indy, Space, Splash) would have maybe 45-60 minute waits for most of the day and taper off later in the evening to 30 minutes or less. Similarly the subs will have enormous lines for a few months but once everyone rides it a few times, those lines will taper off too. I'd rather wait for an hour on all of the E-tickets than have to pick and choose which ones I'll have to leave off of my trip.

I am tickled to hear in Al's update that the new exec's want to get rid of fast pass by hopefully the end of the decade. I totally agree with that decision.
    Yeah I completely disagree with you here. The subs always had a long wait, right up to the attraction's demise (a la Peter Pan) because it was a low capacity attraction. I shudder to think how many hours long the initial lines are going to be.

From your post that your frustration from the FP system stems from a lack of knowledge towards how to use it to your advantage. It is entirely possible to do every single E-ticket attraction in one day with the FP system, and you don't have to wait in a super long line. Not even half an hour. I've been able to do this on days like July 4 or December 31 without a hitch.

However, if you're the type of person that just wants to go to the park and marathon Space Mountain all day long, then yes, the FP system is not your friend. Though if you get there when the park opens, you can ride SM 3-4 times during the day without super long waits -- Arrive at the park, get a SM fastpass then enter the standby line. When your initial pass is able to be used (probably around 10-11 if you got it when the park just opened), then get another fastpass. Use your first fastpass. Then later, use your other fastpass. If there are other fastpasses available at that time, get another one and ride in the evening. If you stay till closing, the standby line for SM isnt terrible either. So that's what, 5 rides on Space in a day?

Really, you don't have to pick and choose anything as long as you know how to use the system.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    Really, you don't have to pick and choose anything as long as you know how to use the system.
    That's great for AP's who know the park like the back of their hand, and dramatically less great for casual day-trippers from Whittier or tourists from Idaho who only visit Disneyland once every few years.

I'm glad Subs won't have Fastpass. I wish they'd get rid of Fastpass on everything. Like Eisner, Fastpass has overstayed its welcome by a few years and needs to go away.

You want to go on a ride? Get in line like everyone else. That way there is no "system" to use and abuse.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000
    That's great for AP's who know the park like the back of their hand, and dramatically less great for casual day-trippers from Whittier or tourists from Idaho who only visit Disneyland once every few years.
    You don't have to be an AP'er or know the park like the back of your hand to use the FastPass system to your advantage. All it takes is some logic and time management. Perhapst thats too much for some people when they're on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000
    You want to go on a ride? Get in line like everyone else. That way there is no "system" to use and abuse.
    Technically, you ARE "in line" with FastPass. And waiting in line the old fashioned way CAN be abused. I'm not sure how you can abuse FastPass in the first place. I've found that people who say this feel that simply taking advantage of FastPass options think that alone constitutes abusing the system.

In reference to the Subs, I do think that leaving out FastPass is a good choice. It would have required an even more extensive redesign of the queue and would not have had a huge wait time advantage considering how slowly the Subs load.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    I'm not sure how you can abuse FastPass in the first place. I've found that people who say this feel that simply taking advantage of FastPass options think that alone constitutes abusing the system.
    I'm referring to the websites and message board posts that let us in on which rides are "networked" and which rides aren't, which rides were offering "surprise Fastpass", etc. Plus there's tips given on how CM's will always let you in late, but never early. All of that little insider info that Disney never admits to or includes in the official Fastpass instructions in the guidemap.

I've used those tips to my advantage, running around the park getting all the Fastpasses I can thanks to my knowledge of what is on the network and what isn't. And if I wasn't a Disney Geek who spends way too much time on message boards, I wouldn't have known about it. God knows Disneyland would never print that information in the guidemap or on the official website.

And then there is the slimier levels of Fastpass abuse, that I have never done myself because it just doesn't seem right or fair to me.... Using your Vons Club card to get extra Fastpasses (Disney has since fixed this I understand), knowing how to push that little black button on the back of the machines to spit out extra tickets, scamming the CM's out of the little blue Fastpass cards so you can have an extra barcode, etc., etc.

That is all abuse. Some of it I've taken part in myself, and some of it I find too shady to participate in. But it all boils down to using the system in a way it was not designed to be used, and I classify that as abuse.

After a few great years using and enjoying Fastpass, and abusing it just a bit, I think it's time to just go back to the egalitarian standard Disneyland used for the first 45 years. If you want to go on the ride, get in line like everyone else. And a big new ride like Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage is going to have a really long line.

• Banned User

I find it funny that Space had an average of a 30-45 min wait for previews when fastpass was disabled. Anyone remember this? Now the line swelled to over 120 min on busy days with fastpass enabled. It is a stupid system and I find people who love fastpass are quite frankly lazy just because they don't have the patience to wait 45 min. The lines actually moved when fastpass was disabled and that is the way it should be. Wait your turn instead of cutting in front of people who are coming to the park for the first time in their lives. Very despicable behavior coming from AP's who can go anytime they want. The system resembles the disabled pass people used to get and cut in line with. It is a me me me mentality and it should be done away with.
    Last edited by Disneyfreak; 05-30-2006 at 11:22 AM.

• With my wife....

First we had digital haunted boobies. Now we get this:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz
    Let's just say once you see where Mr. Depp has placed his hands on these two young ladies as he tries to get a better look at the mayor you'll realize that any hint of political correctness from 1997's infamous rehab has been thrown out the window.
    Sparrow gets the REAL booty!
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• Regular Newbie :)

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    I find it funny that Space had an average of a 30-45 min wait for previews when fastpass was disabled. Anyone remember this? Now the line swelled to over 120 min on busy days with fastpass enabled. It is a stupid system and I find people who love fastpass are quite frankly lazy just because they don't have the patience to wait 45 min. The lines actually moved when fastpass was disabled and that is the way it should be. Wait your turn instead of cutting in front of people who are coming to the park for the first time in their lives. Very despicable behavior coming from AP's who can go anytime they want. The system resembles the disabled pass people used to get and cut in line with. It is a me me me mentality and it should be done away with.
    I hate to argue... because I do agree with most of what everyone is saying... but, technically we did wait all day for our fast passes to even be the right time. I've gotten a fast pass for Space Mountain at like 10am that didn't work until 10pm! That's me waiting for twelve hours. I don't think its really lazy to get a fast pass. Its just a way to manage my time differently.

• Regular Newbie :)

I think what Disneyland needs to do is not hand out so many fast passes... sure, they will run out quicker... but, that will make them even better because they are first come first serve

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast