Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

5/30: Here's Johnny!

What You'll See When Pirates Re-Opens in Anaheim & Orlando, Jack Sparrow Live, Blue Bayou Upgrade, Subs Update, More... Discuss it all here mates!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• e komo mai

Re: 5/30: Here's Johnny!

Wow. Don't miss this update, y'all. It's a good one!

I'm worried about the POTC refurb. I think they may have ruined the ride. Now, I know everyone's going to say that I haven't seen it yet, but it's turning into one big ad for a movie. Before it was a ride that was based on an original idea and was just a cool experience on its own. Now that they are tying it into a film, will it be as repeatable? I don't think it will. I'm officially worried now...

Interesting scenes on the Nemo ride. I'm wondering why a scene that takes place in the dentist's tank will be in the ocean on the ride?

I don't think they're ruining the ride. Obviously, there's going to be some differences. But with the speaker updates, the new effects and taking out the "hungry pirates" chase scene, it sounds like a great refurb so far. As for Capt. Jack, Barbossa, etc. I don't really care if they put them in or not, but there are quite a few visitors, and probably more and more as time goes on, that know of Pirates of the Caribbean from the movies and would wonder why those characters aren't in the ride. I'd wait to see the new version before making up your mind.

I'm not surprised about the subs not offering fastpass. They just don't have the hourly capacity to make it really worthwhile. If people on these boards think Space Mountain fastpasses go quickly, try putting it on the subs. I think it's definitely going to have to be the first ride visited in the park, and the lines are going to be huge.

• e komo mai

I definitely have no complaints about taking out the gluttony scene nor the upgrades to the sound system. I think that's a step in the right direction.

As for Barbossa, what's he doing on the Wicked Wench? (You know, I mean storywise...) Too bad they couldn't do the Black Pearl like they wanted.

I'll reserve judgement until I actually experience the new version this September, but from what I've read it sounds like the update will be fun.

In terms of Barbossa as captain of the Wicked Wench...well a good pirate captain needs a ship right? I've don't recall an explanation being given, but I'd assume he gained control of the Wench after losing the Pearl back to Sparrow.

• Sock Puppet

I too have been a tad worried about the ride, but I'm going to hold off until I see the finished product to say they "ruined it." I think that is jumping the gun a little bit.

It's obvious that Disney had to seriously think about making any changes to a thirty-nine year old classic. I don't think they would go out of their way to spoil a good thing.

Al,
    Love reading your columns except for the WDW bashing that always seems to accompany them. WDW is as beloved to us here on the east coast as Disneyland is to you on the west coast.

• Banned User

I'm really going to miss the vocals by Paul Frees in the soundtrack of the new Pirates attraction.

Barbossa actually spoke a version of the Wicked Wench's captain's lines in the first Pirate film--so why the hell wouldn't they use those in the new ride? Hope they do.

I'm really going to miss having a Monte Christo at the Blue Bayou--they're making a big mistake with this one.

And you have to believe that they're really a pack of imbeciles not to have FastPass on the new subs ride. It's just plain dumb. REALLY dumb. Let's hope they have a single rider line in place, otherwise I'll be skipping that attraction, no matter how good it is.

•   
    • Minion

IMHO, I still think Buckenheimer has plans for the Wicked Wench in a movie...
    Check out my other blog:

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

What a great update!!!!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Senior Minion

What worries me the most is the long list of attractions that are going to be down in September/October.

We had planned to go down around that time frame this year, but now, it might be smarter to go some other time. Drats.

Quote Originally Posted by The Goddess Mara
    And you have to believe that they're really a pack of imbeciles not to have FastPass on the new subs ride. It's just plain dumb. REALLY dumb. Let's hope they have a single rider line in place, otherwise I'll be skipping that attraction, no matter how good it is.

I'm afraid that I couldn't disagree with you more. Fast pass just will not work on a low capacity attraction. If they kept the the fast passes to the normal proportion they would be gone everyday by noon or earlier. With fast pass and low capacity the standby line would be excruciatingly slow. City hall complaints about no fast passes available and the slow stand by lines would be plentiful.

No, TDA management did the right thing. If you want to ride it get in line and wait, at least the line will move.

By the way Al, as usual very informative update.

• FastPass n00b

Wow Al, this is a terrific update, thank you very much. I am glad that the PC era of Disneyland is over and not only that, but the hold-overs of the PC era have been removed as well. I remember the Jungle Cruise guns being taken away, the "violent" arcades in the Starcade being removed, and the PotC thing like it was yesterday. But it sounds like not only are they non-PC, they actually go out of their way to make things funny or amusing now.

When I first read about the DCA placemaking project, I immediately thought to myself, "Uh oh, they think it will cost too much money." But when I read a little deeper and found out money was indeed the issue, but it was a LACK of money, I couldn't have been more impressed! The current management is not willing to settle for anything and it seems that their concept of spending is totally different than the Disney we've become accustomed to. But yet ANOTHER Pixar ride? The only Pixar films not represented at the Disneyland Resort (not counting the Block Party) are The Incredibles and Cars and The Incredibles have kind of taken over the Space Mountain music and I'm sure it's only a matter of time until Autopia turns into Cars (thank goodness, this is one Pixar change I am actually looking forward to since Autopia is in need of a theme).

The one thing I don't get is how the HR department can be so clueless. In 2005 they lost an average of 41 people A DAY! That's the size of a small business staff lost every single day. From the ultra-lavish treatment TDA sounds like they get, it just doesn't make sense why they wouldn't be paying their CMs a minimum of $10 an hour, if not $15 to get the cream of the crop. But to be honest, if I was getting chair massages in an air-conditioned office drinking a cappicino, I wouldn't much want to enter the park to work either. They need to not only beef up the CM's areas, but they need to get rid of that ridiculous excessiveness in the TDA building because let's face it, it's human nature and too easy to ignore a problem when you're neck-deep in lavish living. I'm surprised Greg Emmer hasn't changed things...although I think he's not in control of such things. Does this fall under Ouimet's authority? He's a superb Disneyland exec, but he does seem to have his shortcomings.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I have to say the dropping of placemaking is very saddening for me. I owuld have liked to have seen a period specific entrance area.

What a great, informative update. But, oh my! I think I hear the sounds of the Al haters at that other web site crawling out from under their rocks and sharpening their claws. I wonder if they'll let Marcie out of his box to try to make Al's info sound inaccurate.
    Man does not behold the face of the Gorgon and live!

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast