Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

6/20: Pixar Mania

What to Expect of DCA's New Ride, Lasseter's Disneyland, Pirates Info, Sub Photos, Schedule Shuffles, More... Discuss it all here!

Full Story HERE
    Last edited by Dustysage; 06-20-2006 at 07:30 AM.
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• e komo mai

Re: 6/20: Pixar Mania

I say good for Lasseter. It's about time someone focused their attention on Disneyland and not WDW and DCA. Good for him. Love that guy!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I find the reports on Lasseter's involvement to be very encouraging. And I'm happy to be patient - let him work his magic on DL and DCA, and then in a few years take on Florida just when WDW needs it the most!

Thanks for the update, Al. And whatever's causing you to get in some quality hospital time, I hope you recover soon and fully!!!

• Lowering Expectations

Here are some "dream concepts" I would like to see from the new campaign, which I'll start abbreviating TYoaMD:

*Vouchers to participate in a Disneyland tour. It's really something practical that I could see CM's handing out to guests in whatever random way winners will be selected. I would like to join in on "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" sometime. Heck, wouldn't it be cool if a special behind-the-scenes tour was created for the campaign, to see things guests normally wouldn't, like riding Space Mountain with the lights on (still on my to-do list). Except I guess that would "ruin" the magic huh .
    Wait- for the time being, how about using RockIt Mountain for the event? That would be special.

*(In that case, I'll put it in another bullet) Special guests get to ride RockIt Mountain after hours.

*Allow winners to ride in Lilly Belle parlour car. That'd make me feel like a VIP

*Reserved/Special seating for a parade, a fireworks show, or Fantasmic! The logistics of creating seats for (a few dozen, d'you think?) guests on a daily basis for parades and fireworks might be a challenge, but the facilities for privileged Fantasmic! seating are already in place. Here's some advice for TDA: DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!

And then, of course, there's my dream come true...

*Let winner ride in a bulldozer through the park.

Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• In Technicolor!

While I'm all for the extra focus that Lasseter is giving to Disneyland, hasn't a lot of attention recently been paid to getting the park ready for the 50th? Hasn't much 'debt' been paid for Pressler's sins of the past decade? Maintenance issues have been corrected (mostly). I understand that more than new paint and Honda give-aways are needed. But given the recent 50th-inspired help that Disneyland has received, why does Lasseter's focus need to be only on the Anaheim parks?
    These are the games that never end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ward
    While I'm all for the extra focus that Lasseter is giving to Disneyland, hasn't a lot of attention recently been paid to getting the park ready for the 50th? Hasn't much 'debt' been paid for Pressler's sins of the past decade? Maintenance issues have been corrected (mostly). I understand that more than new paint and Honda give-aways are needed. But given the recent 50th-inspired help that Disneyland has received, why does Lasseter's focus need to be only on the Anaheim parks?

While WDW never deteriorated as much as DL, routine maintenance/upkeep, etc. has slipped considerably. There have been some bright spots lately, but the Magic Kingdom especially is in need of some good cleaning/painting/refurbishing. Its really just getting a "worn" feel that DL had a few years back. Not to mention the fact that there hasn't been an e-ticket added to the MK in well over a decade!

So I hope when things are more in order out west, Lasseter will have a chance to breathe some creativity into what's going on down in Florida. Maybe he doesn't have the sentimental attachment to WDW, but it is the cash cow of the resorts division, and is need of some TLC.

-CoP

I agree, what WDW needs now is to get its park maintenance up. The parls are starting to look shabby and neglected. They could keep adding attractions after attractions but that will not fix the issues with closed facilities and peeling paint.

Once that is done then they couldfocus their attention on what should be next for the four gates especially MGM and DAK.

Although keep in mind that Disneyland has not recieved an E-ticket since Indy. Although it pulls in large crowds, it's popularity as the "latest thing" has long been waning. So it's about time for the company to focus on Disneyland as the flagship.

The one thing that upsets me most about Disney fans is how they constantly act as if WDW and DL are in some kind of a competition. Al promotes this idea, and it is the one thing about his posts I do not like. Both resorts have needs and neither should be ignored or underappreciated. Disneyland still needs a lot of help (Tomorrowland anyone). But WDW needs help too.

I've never been to CA and the odds are I won't be getting out there any time soon. I've been to WDW and I'll definitely be going again. So I certainly hope that Al is overstating Lasseter's apparent disinterest in WDW. I was certainly hoping that both parks would benefit from his creativity.

The new "celebration" sure did sound half-baked when I first read about it. I guess that's because it is. Hopefully, they'll rally and pull something together. I expect to be visiting WDW sometime during this promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR
    Heck, wouldn't it be cool if a special behind-the-scenes tour was created for the campaign, to see things guests normally wouldn't, like riding Space Mountain with the lights on (still on my to-do list).
    Get a job there...they'll give you the tour. I rode Space Mountain with the lights on for eight hours just before it opened in 1977. Trust me, it's nothing special. It's like an industrial warehouse. I much prefer the lights out.
    Dreams...
    What about something special with Club 33? Or transform that stock room above the French Market? Remodel the Disney Gallery? Any area on Main Street do-able? Since Sleeping Beauty won't reopen, remodel that into a
    two room suite. I wouldn't recommend Mickey's House; not that many people are crazy about Toontown.
    How about getting to press a special button on the roof of Main Street to set off the night's fireworks?
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• Former Epcot CM

I like the more information on Midway Mania, I'm kinda liking the idea now... I was completely against it a couple days ago. I'm not impressed with Lasseter's attitude - it's all very well making sure Disneyland is properly taken care of, of course, it is the No. 1 park in Disney's roster and should be treated like the star it is, but no way should the other nine theme parks around the globe be deprived of Lasseter's potential because he prefers Disneyland and DCA. Disney didn't pay all that money for him to continue lavishing all this care on Disneyland, which currently, is looking amazing and has such a great future.

The Magic Kingdom down in Florida on the other hand... slightly unfair that it won't get Lasseter's attention because he doesn't like the weather. That park has gone to the dogs.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Minion

Blog Entries

As for the dream thing there are a million different things they could give away. As for their concern about giving things away to random park guest I have an idea. When they come into the park have the turnstyles set up so that they pick the guest and have them report to City Hall or something along those lines to pick up the prize. Living in Las Vegas you see alot of the random giveaways and things like that. The easiest way to do it would be to set up the turnstyles so that they "pick" the guest. And since they are concerned about having to give away freebies to everyone, have them report to a specified location.

Now then as for ideas for the give away. They could have different levels of shopping sprees. Or give away different amounts of "Disney Money". They could also give away private dinners in the Blue Bayou. While its not my favorite restraunt having the Blue Byou all to myself would be awesome. Another Idea would be to ride your choice of ride with your choice of character. Not all the gifits have to be extremely lavish because in the eyes of most people anything that is "free" is a good thing. And if something is unique it is also special. They just need to think of the simple yet unique things they could give to people in the park.

I'm not too excited about this 'Midway Mania'.

A mishmash of Pixar characters in a carnival setting? That sounds kinda weak. The name is also less than inspiring.

The technology sounds interesting, but it sounds like the concept lacks any cohesive theme - like they're taking Pixar and Paradise Pier and just kind of mashing them together and throwing money at the result.

• insufferable know-it-all

Midway Mania is a terrible name that gives no indication of how cool this ride sounds like it's going to be. Honestly, by the name alone, I'd expect a Presslerized version of the "Pleasure Island" section of Pinnocchio in Fantasyland. But what Al describes sounds good.

I love to hear Lasseter focusing some attention on DL finally. There's time to do stuff in Florida eventually, but right now, Disneyland needs help recovering from that heroin monkey on her back known as DCA. Not saying DCA doesn't need the attention/funds it's been draining from DL's budgets, but DL needs it too.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast