Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

6/27: High in the Sky

Universal's New Seuss Trolley, The End of Magic Mountain? Magic Kingdom Updated, More... Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• FuseMP

Re: 6/27: High in the Sky

The Extra Dumbo at WDW is excellent. I actually got on the ride in the Dumbo in front of the one my wife and child were in, turned arond and took pictures of them in it, but when we got off we were able to spend a good 5 minutes getting decent pictures of our son sitting/standing in the stand alone Dumbo.

• Defying Gravity

I am schocked to read that Six Flags might close.

I know it is nowhere near the same league as Disney, but when you are a roller coaster fan, it is a fun place to visit.
    You say Im a bitch like its a bad thing.

London BABY!!

• Just this guy......

One wonder's why it took them so many years to fix and/or install, the Seuss Trolley.

Glad they finally added the picture Dumbo - it has been at Disneyland for many years. Every year we posed our kids with it since it was their favorite ride.

It is interesting to me that the news of SixFlags is out again. I heard this very thing well over a year ago. I even stopped by the Houston location last Oct while there on vacation because I thought it was closing within the week. I actually had heard that the CA version had already sold and was in the RED. None of the information proved to be accurate at the time - but now I see, perhaps, that it was just in the initial stages and maybe it has gotten a GO? Anyway, this is the second time I heard about the selling off of SixFlags parks. I am anxiously awaiting the final outcome!!!

Loved seeing the new ride. We are going to Florida this Oct. and plan to make a day stop at that park (our first time ever) The kids are excited to ride the Trolley train now that they have seen it. Thanks for the update.
    Shirley

• What have I done?

Awww the sweet, sweet Florida weather! I miss it so!

I cant stand any of those credit card people... they are at Downtown Disney of all places in front of World of Disney and over where you enter Downtown Disney from the parking lot! At least DisneyVisa doesnt do what the MasterCard people do!
    However I will admit I have a DisneyChase du'oh! LOL
    I iwll miss Six Flags alot actually. I havent been recently and I do know everyone... EVERYONE complains about its rowdy environment. Why do us thrill/ theme park go'ers have to suffer though?

"This guy!"

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach
    One wonder's why it took them so many years to fix and/or install, the Seuss Trolley.
    From what I understand, a combination of just priorties, the purchase, Mummy, and 9/11.

As for the lightning strike policy, I belive it's the same at Disney, BUT for Test Track it gets ever worse. If there is a lightning strike 10 miles away (even with no rain), the ride is closed until an all clear. If there is heavy rain, same thing due to the complex vehicles in the outdoors.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Four pages of update, and 3 1/2 of them are for Universal's new ride? Should we start calling this site Seuss Chat???

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Well I liked the update for the IoA ride. I don't know if it was 7 years worth the wait but it looks nice.

Thanks for the Everest photo Kevin!

• Mecha-Shiva! Mecha-Shiva!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that Six Flags sign above Elitch Gardens! Before returning to our California home, my family lived in Colorado for four years, and I remember when they built that park!

The sad thing is, that the park DID have charm, but that was the old Elitch's. It was in another location with lots of ACTUAL gardens prior to the one you visited. In fact, Walt Disney himself visited the (old) park to see the way the gardens were laid out, as he was planning Disneyland. The old park had such a cute history, but sometime in the late nineties it was moved closer to downtown Denver. In fact, my father was one of the many bankers that financed the new park, so I remember it well. Sadly, even before it became a Six Flags, the new location was bringing a "scruffier" crowd to the park. Ah well.

Hey Kevin: the extra Dumbo has been out on the side of the Dumbo attraction for awhile. We were there in April and it was there. Like the Indy race car, it is a great photo op. Now they should put a tea cup out.

The entrance area hints at a charm this park must have had once, before Six Flags swallowed it...
    Nope. Like Gudrun suggests above, the 'new' Elitch Gardens (aka EG-The Great Escape, aka SFEG) never had any charm. It's just a big carnival.

The REAL Elitch Gardens, however... the Mister Twister Elitch's... that's another story. That place was special.

The reason they wanted to move the park in the first place was because they were running out of room at the old site. So they move... downtown? I never figured that one out.

The new park did kind of spur development in LoDo, though, preceeding the Pepsi Center, that Aquarium thing (pretty cool actually), the new football stadium and more. I guess Coors Field had a lot to do with that in the early days as well - I think Coors and the new Elitch's went in around the same time.

As for Magic Mountain - it would take a radical transformation into a more high-end resort (like Universal Orlando) to save it. Short of that, it'll be condos within two years.

Not sure about the fate of SFEG. There's a lot of local nostalgia for the idea of an Elitch Gardens. On the other hand, it's clear to everyone that the new park is crap.

• If We Can Dream It...

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    Four pages of update, and 3 1/2 of them are for Universal's new ride? Should we start calling this site Seuss Chat???
    Well, I mean that's the only ride to open around Orlando lately. I thought the update was great. It's always nice to see what's going on outside Disney once in a while. I guess we could of had NO update. Thanks Kevin! Are you going to cover POTC reopening?
    - Horizonsfan

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    Welcome to Unichat...

i mean... The ride is fun.. I got Purple Beach track..
    (And learned my ABCs..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfutXglNJxU - My POV from Beach track...
    (I made it for another site but kept the rights to it.. lol)

Selling magic mountain is weird.. thats a money maker... they should keep it and change it's ways rather than sell the land.. and move coasters... then break them while moving them.. or not being able to movie them cause they were designed for specific land...

elich.. i hear developers are bidding.. and park management is bidding for the park....

Disney adding those toches.. nice.. maybe there is hope for a greater tomorrow... slowly...

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by horizonsfan92
    I thought the update was great. It's always nice to see what's going on outside Disney once in a while.
    Kevin knows I kid (at least I hope he does). I do wish that the updates were more Disney-centric. But as long as there's interest, I can't begrudge a look elsewhere from time to time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast