Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Kevin;
    As a father of a toddler I find FP's invaluable. For example an hour wait for Buzz Lightyear or Autopia would push my son's attention span to it's very limit and virtually end our day. Similarly it gives me a chance to ride Space Mountain while my wife and son wait a tolerable 10-15 mins instead of 1 hour plus. What I don't like is having to traverse to opposite ends of the park to ride I am just getting a FP for and wil be riding later. Again, having a toddler in tow makes this exponentially more difficlut.

Here's an idea I have yet to see anyone mention (yourself included). Why not have a central location where FP's are distributed, with all FP ride wait times and return times listed at that location. Allow only one FP at a time of course. You choose which ride you will hold an FP for based on wait times and FP return times. This would eliminate the endless, pointless trips across the park, and the associated foot traffic. The FP's would be linked because they would all come from the same central FP distribution point.

Just a thought. It seems like that would solve the complaints I have agout the FP system and maybe some of yours too. Love the site, keep up the good work!

One more thought:
    I really don't mind that the system is inequtable because some people can't figure it out. It's really not that hard. What I can't stand is the "pay for cuts" systems like the Q-bot or Fastlane @ the SF parks. You've already paid admission, you shouldn't have to pay again for a tolerable wait in line. As long as it's available to everyone I don't see a problem.
    Last edited by lumpy; 04-19-2005 at 12:08 PM. Reason: One more thought

Nice article, Kevin.

I am in complete agreement about the Fastpass experiment. My whole view on fastpass is "less is more." Employ fastpass on only a handful of rides, restrict the number of fastpasses available (to allow minimal intrusion on the standby riders), and maybe even limit the number of fastpasses that one person can obtain in a given day.

-Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by nish221

* For HKDL, in the map there's a huge "thatched" building at the bottom of
    Adventureland. It takes up almost a third of the space (on the map).
    And it doesn't look like there's a caption for it. Any idea what it is?

That is the building for Festival of the Lion King like at AK.

• Merry 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy
    Kevin;
    Here's an idea I have yet to see anyone mention (yourself included). Why not have a central location where FP's are distributed, with all FP ride wait times and return times listed at that location. Allow only one FP at a time of course. You choose which ride you will hold an FP for based on wait times and FP return times. This would eliminate the endless, pointless trips across the park, and the associated foot traffic. The FP's would be linked because they would all come from the same central FP distribution point.

Just a thought. It seems like that would solve the complaints I have agout the FP system and maybe some of yours too. Love the site, keep up the good work!

One more thought:
    I really don't mind that the system is inequtable because some people can't figure it out. It's really not that hard. What I can't stand is the "pay for cuts" systems like the Q-bot or Fastlane @ the SF parks. You've already paid admission, you shouldn't have to pay again for a tolerable wait in line. As long as it's available to everyone I don't see a problem.
    one fp distribution site? interesting thought, however i can imagine thousands of people waiting inline, especially at park opening. talk about a HUGE bank of fp machines. it takes a little bit of time now to get a fp because people have differnent cognitive speeds. maybe one machine isn't working and you have to try other machines. if you are feeling pressured already fron standing in line or whatever the frustration/anger possibilities could become untolerable.

i agree that fp isn't perfect. and i don't understand how many people don't get how to work it. that's okay. i enjoy using the system to reduce the time spent in line for the more popular e-ticket rides. of course, if the parks really managed ride loading to its fullest, maybe there wouldn't be the need for fp.

oh, ditto on paying extra to cut down wait times.

it will be interesting to see the results of the "new" system. i am afraid that those results will not give an accurate picture for oh so many reasons. kinda a waste of research, imo.

• Vehicle rotating backward

FastPass may actually have a reason for existing at WDW but I wish they'd tear the entire thing out altogether here in Anaheim. It just gives locals an edge by virtue of being in the know, and adds a pretty crappy class system where there previously wasn't one.

• Sock Puppet

Lightbulb Airport

Is it just me or dose the land Pavillion now look like an Airport
    I want to know who else thinks that I know I do

I'm going to guess that not limiting FASTPASS will have another unintended effect -- an increased number of unused FASTPASSes.

Let's imagine someone running around at park opening gathering tickets. Isn't there a large likelihood that many of the return time windows will overlap? When guests find out that they can't make it to all of the rides at their allotted times, they will either try to use their FASTPASS after their window has closed, get in a standby line, or get a new FASTPASS (any of which will mess up the system in one way or another).

The net effect would be even shorter FASTPASS lines (unless a lot of "late" visitors show up) and even longer standy lines.

Can someone who has more experience with EPCOT tell me how likely this scenario is?

~Liar~

It'll be interesting to see how "hard" they enforce the return WINDOW on the fastpasses with this experiment. I never tried outside the window at WDW (unless the ride was down) and I heard they aren't as willing to let you ride if you're too late (as opposed to DL). If people are getting tons of them when they first walk in - the return times are going to overlap and it'll be interesting to hear about the enforcement (or lack thereof).

(Ok, I could have sworn I read all the posts in this thread - but "dittos" to what Liar said.)

• Iron-Clad Allie

More Rides, Less FastPass, More Fun For Everyone!

FastPass works best when it is offered only on a few of the top rides and shows, though not all of them. Otherwise, insanely overloaded standby lines for "stupid Tourists" are the direct result throughout the day, at every E-ticket and major attraction. In the meantime, the savvy just whiz by the standby lines - adding to the frustration of those who do not understand the system.

Multiple FastPasses, all at once, would clog everything up even worse, creating the hazard of longer lines for PO'd dummies and the FP savvy alike. As far as crowd control problems go, the reason many, if not most of us take a vacation is to escape life's work-a day nightmares, such as bottlenecked traffic.

Point is, you are right, Kevin, in that more rides are, without question, preferable to a mere ease of access to the same domain.

However, FastPass is a progressive and good technological marvel, when it functions in balance with a two-tiered system of guests, as well as the motivational forces for new rides.

We should hope that the Epcot experiment will reveal early on that an MFP system would create dramatic line congestion patterns, regardless of the safeguard mechanism that staggers overloaded FP crowds out later and later into the day. Furthermore, I agree Kevin, there is a danger that attractions such as Mission:Space, Test Track, Soarin', HISTA (and perhaps the rumored Brother Bear raft ride) would cause attendance for smaller or less popular rides and shows to be reduced to a pittance.

Concerning Soarin' (i.e. Clonin' Over California), nice as the new queue is, it will not induce me to ride. I agree with Dusty Sage that EPCOT needs it's own thematic ride film. Does anyone know if there are any concepts that might be flying about out there?

Regarding Phase One of Hong Kong Disneyland, the Preview Center verifies that there's not much going on in terms of attractions. Phase Two should prove to be a little more interesting. For one thing, the buzz is that HKDL will get a unique Pirates coaster/flume ride! Has anyone heard anything about this?
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-21-2005 at 09:27 PM.

Interesting article. The Soarin' queue looks nice, but I wouldn't say it's better than DCA's. I think the simple hanger look fits the ride very well. Going on a hang glider simulator after being in a queue that looks like a metropolitan airport seems a tad odd. Maybe it's just me.

You're right when you say that it's one less reason to go to DCA. Given that there's already too few good attractions there, it's a bit of a shame that my favorite gets transplanted to Florada.

As for HKDL, let's hope it's not like the recent parks like it looks to be. Nothing bothers me more on this than to think a replica of Sleeping Beauty castle will be the centerpiece of an inferior knockoff.

I know Kevin's made this point before, but once everyone knows about and uses FP, it's no longer effective. And I think management knows this is already happening, and that's the cause for the experiment. I was at Epcot in March and got a FP for Test Track with a return time of 11:30. When I came back, the FP return line was an hour and a half wait. What's the point of using it? I think FP is on its way out and the sooner the better.

• MedFizDude

Revenue Rules

FP?
    My Opinion: We like it. If we always ditched new ideas because large groups of the population don't "get it", society and technology would come to a screeching halt.

WDW's Opinion: If you're not standing in line you're more likely to be spending money on: food, souveniers, shows, etc.!!!!! :devil:

31 days to go!
    Stuck in the Ozarks!

• I'm also cute and fluffy!

Lightbulb HKDL Interesting Map Anomolies

There are some interesting hints of things to comes at HKDL if one studies that map closely.

In Adventureland, across the railroad track is a Pirate skull/crossbones.

In Tomorrowland you can see at the edge just inside the railroad track, what looks like Tomorrowland Speedway track. A different map of the entire resort elsewhere in the preview center shows the track extending outside (under?) the perimeter set by the RR track.

It would seem HKDL still has quite a bit more to come.

• I'm also cute and fluffy!

Exclamation Fastpass/Express Stuff

I think this experiment should be allowed to conclude before assessments are made. It stands to reason, at least to me, that at the very least if all the early AM guests have ridden the "big ticket" rides in the mornings via Fastpass, that should help shorten the standby lines in the afternoon as they will have moved on to other attractions. I wouldl guess most tourists trying to get through the entire park will move on rather than ride a 2nd time and have to wait in a considerably longer (theoretically) standby line.

Kevin's columns on Fastpass fascinate me, as I have used the system as both a local and a tourist (prior to becoming a local) and appreciate its availablity. Plus, I think his vision of the tourist/local issues with the system are skewed by his initial experiences at Disneyland, which has a much higher percentage of locals than WDW (and Kevin acknowledged this shortly after his move to the area). I know one of the premises behind why its bad is tourists don't know how to use the system, and I guess I am of the belief that if you don't pay any attention to the multiple signs, the park maps, and those ever-present machines at attraction entrances, oh well... Finding out a restaurant you gladly waited "standby" for a table at has offered reservations for the past 2 years doesn't make the reservation system bad.

What is fascinating to me is that Kevin has gone to bat for the Universal "Express" system, in part because resort guests (the tourists) have an edge with it. He seems to at least consider it superior to Disney's Fastpass. However, the system is flawed due to that very perk. For those who don't know, staying at a Universal resort (via showing your room entry card) gives guests Express entry to all rides offering Express without having to do so at a given time and no limits to how often it can be used. This creates a situation detrimental to ALL users of the system, as I have been part of several Express lines which were LONGER than the standby. This happened because, for example, in the heat of the day everyone thinks, "I'll use my Express pass to ride Dudley Do-Right and cool off." Everyone being those who got that time assigned via the Express machines, the resort guests with no time constraints, AND those buying the Express Plus books.

What are these "Plus" books? Taking a bad idea even further, these books can be purchased for $25 each and inside are Express coupons for every ride in the park (1 each). Again, no time constraints. Plus it allows guests to use their park pass in the Express machines, plus use a coupon, giving them the ability to hold multiple passes for a ride and further clog the Express system.

As you can tell, I really dislike Universal's Express system. I think it's further disserviced by their employees not knowing the proper ratios in which to merge the standby/Express lines, but that can happen at Disney as well in some instances. (Like the other day where Fastpass was one side of Space Mountain and standby was the other.) Typically the Standby/Fastpass ratio is 20/80.

Finally, I'd like to thank Kevin for not posting a spoiler-filled review of Lights, Motors, Action like the doofus at Mouseplanet did. First, he (Mouseplanet doofus) posted a review of a show over a month away from being officially open, and then he gleefully made a point of ruining every surprise in the show. However, I still don't understand why someone (sorry Kevin) would review a show that isn't open yet, officially. They still have several aspects/stunts to add to the show and so all that has been accomplished is assessing an incomplete work. As a teacher, I wouldn't give my kids a grade on a test until they are finished and have what they consider to be a finished product. But I've strayed from the topic...

And that's all I have to say on the topic. Thanks for providing a forum to express my opinions on.

I love Fastpass. I think it's a great idea and I've done as much research to make it work as well as I can. It makes sense to try it first at EPCOT because there are fewer FP attractions, then if they like the results, try it at the MK and see how it works there. I'm only sorry I can't make it to EPCOT this month!

I have no problem with people who arrive first getting more of the fastpasses. That's how it works and why I almost always get to the parks when they open. Even if Fasttpass didn't exist and you show up later, you're still going to have to wait in longer lines than the people who got there earlier.

I like Fastpass because I can get one and come back to those attractions at a set time. Then I use that time to either ride other attractions that don't offer Fastpass, enjoy the live entertainment that I would otherwise miss by standing in a long line, and having a nice leisurely meal at a sit down restaurant that I otherwise would not eat at because I'd have to go and stand in line for another ride.

I don't understand the fairness issue because everybody who's at the park has the same opportunity to get fastpasses. There's a lot of information on Fastpass on Disney's website and other websites like these. Even at DCA where you can only get one FP at at time, Soarin' still sells out quickly on a fairly busy day. Being able to get multiple ones at a time won't change that. And realistically, the likelihood of most people criscrossing the park to get all the fastpasses right away isn't that likely.

I understand it's a non-Walt concept, but that doesn't make it a bad idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast