Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

6/29: Visiting Blackpool

Ian takes you on a photo tour of the United Kingdom's Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Welcome him back and discuss his latest article here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: 6/29: Visiting Blackpool

Blackpool appears as though it pre-dates Disneyland. I guess it may have been one of the parks that Walt visited for inspiration nack in the day. The coasters and boat ride look to be lots of fun. Although. I couldn't tell exactly what type of a ride the Alice In Wonderkand attraction is. Enjoyed the photo romp, Ian.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-29-2006 at 09:12 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• white and nerdy

Great report. Makes me want to visit.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Thank you Ian. It is wonderful to see you back on the site and I love it when you do photo reports!!! Blackpool is one of the parks that I've always wanted to visit but have never had time to see. It looks like a lot of fun. Sort of like the old time Coney Island parks with a few new iron rides thrown in over the years.

Can't wait to see it on my next trip to the UK.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Circle of Ancients

Awesome pics Ian. Really enjoyed them.

For you SoCal people that remember the Soap Box Racers (or Cycle Chase) at Knott's, the Steeplechase is the same thing, only with horses instead of cars (or Motorcycles).

• Former Epcot CM

Don't go!

Okay, if you must, don't hold it against me.

Nice report though Ian, no matter how much I dislike Blackpool in it's entirety. As other posters have said, its nice to have you back.
    Last edited by Speedway; 06-29-2006 at 08:04 AM.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

It looks like a fun place with lots of rides. The Valaha (sp?) ride looks very interesting. If I ever visit England I may have to go. Thanks for all the pictures Ian. Nice to see a picture of you at the end.

• Earth Intruder

Welcome back Ian! Great pics and article -- one of the things that struck me as funny is how theres an attraction similar to the Golden Zephyr at DCA -- (the "Flying Machines") but the one in Blackpool is actually a THRILLING ride, whereas the one at DCA is about as fun as watching snot dry. And the Golden Zephyr doesnt work 90% of the time because it doesnt go FAST enough, so 3 mph winds are enough to close the attraction due to "winds at high altitudes" or some crap, lol. It's good to see one of these things working as intended.
    Last edited by Chernabog; 06-29-2006 at 08:15 AM.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

It appears that the only two english posters are saying dont go!!!

PLEASE DONT GO!!!! Balckpool is a vile run down cheap looking, yet supprisingly expensive place. It thrives on old age pensioners, and the old school British holiday image that we have spent years trying to loose!!

Please dont judge us on this!!!!!!!!

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by penfold12
    It appears that the only two english posters are saying dont go!!!

PLEASE DONT GO!!!! Balckpool is a vile run down cheap looking, yet supprisingly expensive place. It thrives on old age pensioners, and the old school British holiday image that we have spent years trying to loose!!

Please dont judge us on this!!!!!!!!
    Blackpool may not be the best image of the UK, but it has to be said that over 10 million people go there every year on their holiday. It may not be your ideal place, but they seem to like it.

I'm also not saying that I like Blackpool either, but in small doses it has its moments of charm and fun. The Pleasure Beach is history, fun, tackiness, vulgarity and thrills all rolled into one. It is worth a visit just to see how 'good' and 'bad' it can be.

It is nothing like any of the Disney parks.

Bad - that the quality, service and theme is nowhere to be seen.
    Good - It's fun for all the family and at a reasonable price.

As to pricing you can get a one day wristband that lets you ride everything as many times as you like for 29 ($52), and great deals on family wristband packages. Bear in mind that during the week the queues can be short and you will get to ride many attractions with little or no waiting, many, many times.

There are over 50 attractions at the park AND included in the price is entry to one of the 3 great shows they have. (Hot Ice, Eclipse and Mystique)
    I have seen the Hot Ice show and it is a full 2 hour fully produced well skated production well worth a significant part of the wristband price.

Blackpool may not represent the UK at its best, but it is an experience not to be missed as far as I am concerned.

Ian
    "I'm surrounded by idiots"

• FuseMP

Thank God other brits got here before me to start the DONT GO warnings. As soon as I saw the line "Here's a quick photo tour of Britain's biggest tourist attraction" in the first paragraph I was thinking AAAHHHHH!!. No offense lan, but where on earth did you get the impression that Blackpool was Britain's biggest tourist attraction? Come to think of it, when on earth did Blackpool make it back into the ranks of being a tourist attraction and out of the ranks of being "Run down seaside town"

Lets get things perfectly straight, Blackpool is just another seaside town like Worthing, Southend etc etc etc; there's a beach where donkeys years ago they built some piers, there's a bunch of cheap amusement arcades, bingo and then there's a permanent fun fair there to rip off anyone who dares to go in it (although to be fair Blackpools is quite big). There are a few things which seperate Blackpool from the rest. The first is the tower which is a bit of a landmark but consists of a play area, a ballroom and a circus. The second is the Lights which is a once a year thing and a fond memory from when i was 5 and my grandparents took me to see them; but I'm told they have gone down hill since then. And the third is that it is up north and lets face it, there's nothing else to do up there!

As Penfold said, Blackpool is a tacky place that pensioners flock to by the bus load, just like they do to Worthing, Cornwall or Wales. Teenagers from surrounding areas sometimes pop down there for a day if the sun it out and they can bunk off school (much like people from London flock to Southend), but no-one under the age of 65 goes there for a holiday unless they are being dragged there by someone who is over 65. Take the hint, Ramps EVERYWHERE! Even the shop windows are bi-focal!

Serioulsy, calling Blackpool a tourist attraction is like calling Visionland in Birmingham, Alabama a tourist attraction. The only people who go there are locals (or old people in coaches), and hence are not tourists.

And if people are travelling to get there, they need their head examined when for the same price they could go pretty much anywhere in the world.
    Last edited by StrongStyle; 06-29-2006 at 09:58 AM.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Well said Ian,and welcome back

Im from the UK as well and recomend anyone wanting to visit Blackpool Pleasure Beach or Blackpool itself do so and come up with your own opinion of the place,and not listen to what some people on the forum have to say.

And anyone who does visit the place check out the Ghost Train as the place is Haunted for real!

Nice photos and update, can't comment on the place since i have never been there but It would be interesting to see a ride thru video of the viking themed water ride and since its been mentioned one of the Ghost train might be fun.

Anyone outthere have any?

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by StrongStyle
    Thank God other brits got here before me to start the DONT GO warnings. As soon as I saw the line "Here's a quick photo tour of Britain's biggest tourist attraction" in the first paragraph I was thinking AAAHHHHH!!. No offense lan, but where on earth did you get the impression that Blackpool was Britain's biggest tourist attraction? Come to think of it, when on earth did Blackpool make it back into the ranks of being a tourist attraction and out of the ranks of being "Run down seaside town"

Lets get things perfectly straight, Blackpool is just another seaside town like Worthing, Southend etc etc etc; there's a beach where donkeys years ago they built some piers, there's a bunch of cheap amusement arcades, bingo and then there's a permanent fun fair there to rip off anyone who dares to go in it (although to be fair Blackpools is quite big). There are a few things which seperate Blackpool from the rest. The first is the tower which is a bit of a landmark but consists of a play area, a ballroom and a circus. The second is the Lights which is a once a year thing and a fond memory from when i was 5 and my grandparents took me to see them; but I'm told they have gone down hill since then. And the third is that it is up north and lets face it, there's nothing else to do up there!

As Penfold said, Blackpool is a tacky place that pensioners flock to by the bus load, just like they do to Worthing, Cornwall or Wales. Teenagers from surrounding areas sometimes pop down there for a day if the sun it out and they can bunk off school (much like people from London flock to Southend), but no-one under the age of 65 goes there for a holiday unless they are being dragged there by someone who is over 65. Take the hint, Ramps EVERYWHERE! Even the shop windows are bi-focal!

Serioulsy, calling Blackpool a tourist attraction is like calling Visionland in Birmingham, Alabama a tourist attraction. The only people who go there are locals (or old people in coaches), and hence are not tourists.

And if people are travelling to get there, they need their head examined when for the same price they could go pretty much anywhere in the world.
    A typical insulting response from a Londoner, trying to 'have a go' at the North of the UK again. It's offensive and not welcome.

You clearly don't know Blackpool or it's visitor profile, which is nothing like you paint it at all.

Blackpool is still the most popular and visited seaside town in the UK, by a long way. It is a major destination for many Scottish visitors (always welcome) and caters for ALL ages.

Yes it is rough and ready, yes it is dirty and could do with a good clean up, but it also has charm.

Your description of Blackpool Tower really does show how unfair and offensive your comments were. This is a 110 year old historical monument. The Ballroom and Circus are works of art with very ornate and stunning interiors. http://www.theblackpooltower.co.uk/ Just a quick look at the interior shot of the Ballroom on the page above shows you that.

How you can say the Pleasure Beach is a rip of at 29 for all day rides and a show beats me, it's great value for exciting rides. Yes it's not pretty, but then it does not pretend to be.

Ian
    "I'm surrounded by idiots"

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

My future husband's brother, who lived in Manchester, took us to Blackpool Pleasure Beach shortly after the Pepsi Max Big One opened. At that time, it was the tallest coaster in the world. Really expensive too, you had to pay separately to go on it. It was really cool, because the first lift seemed to take forever, and you got a good view of the beach and ocean from up there. Also, there was a good strong cold wind blowing that day, which was even stronger up there.

Fluffy Club Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast