Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/7: A Pirate's Night For Me

Sue fills you in on the midnight screening of Pirates 2 at the El Capitan in Hollywood, plus she also has a review. Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 7/7: A Pirate's Night For Me

Thanks, Sue! I was there and glad we got those neat passes on lanyards which identified that we were guests at the midnight screening July 7. That was a nice keepsake.

Your review is spot-on. I'm looking forward to the next movie, but for all the wrong reasons now.

I am SO tired this morning!

• Earth Intruder

The things you do for us Sue! Thanks for the article, it seems like you guys had a lot of fun despite the movie!
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Former Epcot CM

The last 30 seconds were your favourite as well, Sue?
    Mine too.
    And no-one will know why until they watch it!
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I am on my way out to see it now, but interestingly this is the 3rd review in a row I've read that says "not for kids". Which is ironic, with all the toys they made for this film, but at the same time reassuring that it wasn't toned down.

I'll have more to add in a few hours.

• Now 40% less bitter!

Don't you just love the fact that they have the game of Life themed to PoTC? That way, if you buy it for yourself, it's "A Pirate's Life for me"!

Ooh! And if you decide to announce the fact to two ladies of a certain profession...
    Oo-de-lally!

• Closed Account

Costume contest? Will this run each night?

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    The last 30 seconds were your favourite as well, Sue?
    Mine too.
    And no-one will know why until they watch it!
    I saw the midnight showing of it also. (not at the El Capitan, just at a theater) The last 30 seconds of the film make your jaw drop, then want to throw something at the screen when it ends. I Loved it though Everyone moaned when it ended, like someone had played a dirty trick on them. But then shortly after people burst into applause, my theater loved it. It was a very good movie in my opinion. The CGI on davy jones was so realistic. The whole feel to this movie is definetly different than the first one, and whether that is bad or good is up to you. For me I was also torn at first, but giving more thought on it I really liked this movie.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Can't wait to get the full El Capitan treatment tomorrow afternoon!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

The last 30 seconds were great.

My my my.

This is not a kid's movie. This is Disney's second PG-13 movie...and by far the closest thing to an R rating I ever expect Disney to have.

I still can't decide which one I like better, 1 or 2.

And what is after the credits is not as cool as last time.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    The last 30 seconds were great.

My my my.

This is not a kid's movie. This is Disney's second PG-13 movie...and by far the closest thing to an R rating I ever expect Disney to have.

I still can't decide which one I like better, 1 or 2.

And what is after the credits is not as cool as last time.

I at least feel vindicated after being blasted in my thread last week about Disney irresponsibly marketing a PG13 to small kids. Watching them hand out Pirates posters to each and every toddler leaving the El Cap at Car's made me wonder. Happy Meals a go go. Obviously, rating are guidelines and sometimes worthless, and every parent is responsible for what their kids see, but there is a sense of expectation/trust in the Disney name and what kind of movies are considered Disney. I just don't think it's ethical for them to target your kid to get them to beg you to take them to something that may (or may not) clearly not be in their best interests. My 2 cents and I'm sure I'll get blasted again. This time tell Joe Camel.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

We just got back from watching POTC movie and we loved it cant wait till may 2007 to see the third. My almost five year old daughter loved the movie also I guess it depends on the childif they will be scared or not.
    "A pirates life for me"

Next trip to Disneyland April 3 to April 7 2011 For our second honneymoon and with out the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    I at least feel vindicated after being blasted in my thread last week about Disney irresponsibly marketing a PG13 to small kids.
    You know...I figured if this was like PoTC One there was no issue marketing a PG-13 movie to kids. But now...seeing the toys we have at work and then seeing the film...I think your post last week could be true to an extent. After seeing it I agree. But, before seeing it I was expecting another PoTC One, and that was a fine PG-13 to market to kids.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    You know...I figured if this was like PoTC One there was no issue marketing a PG-13 movie to kids. But now...seeing the toys we have at work and then seeing the film...I think your post last week could be true to an extent. After seeing it I agree. But, before seeing it I was expecting another PoTC One, and that was a fine PG-13 to market to kids.
    Just look at how the Hollywood Reporter (excerpted) summed up this "Disney" Movie. Disney Films used to have a moral compass of some kind.

"...If one wants to carp about such things, this family adventure has morphed into something decidedly odd, though perhaps it fits the zeitgeist: The film overflows with as much gleeful sadism as a PG-13 rating can contain. Birds pluck eyes from living captives, a father must whip the flesh from his son's back, Captain Jack is prepared for roasting, and the threat of rape clearly looms over Elizabeth as she languishes in prison.

The whole pirate stew is flavored with moral fuzziness. The movie views pirates, who rob and murder on the high seas, as exemplars of fun-loving freedom; the East India Trading Company -- admittedly an imperialistic global corporation but nevertheless one that wants to rid the seas of homicidal criminals -- represents the forces of repression."
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Minion

I saw the 3am showing there too. The crowd was awesome and so was the music before the movie. I really liked the movie. I liked that is was DARKER and they acted more like pirates. I do not want my pirates to be cute. They have to be BAD!!! Yes there were some parts that did drag. Then again this reminded me of EMPIRE STRIKES BACK or Temple of DOOM. They both were darker and didnt ride well with fans or reviewers. Overtime those films grew a greater following. So wait until it comes out on DVD and watch it again and see how you feel then. In the mean time I got to see it again at the EL Capitan this summer!! I am so glad Disney owns such a cool theatre. It felt like I was at the park.
    Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast