Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Rabbits, Turtles and Cars - Oh My!

Rabbits, Turtles and Cars - Oh My!
    Hopping, Spinning and Tooting - Oh My!

The "follow the rabbit" to Easter Village diversion should prove to be great fun for the little egg nabbers. Aliens of the Deep is a dazzling 3-D delight - a perfect initial film for the new IMAX theatre. How breathtaking it would be to view the Eiffel Tower from the area where the captive balloon keeps bobbing up and down. I'll bet you can't see the Earful Tower at WDW from that point though. Now that's what I call a Hidden Mickey.

Wo-o-o-o dude! Riding the East Australian ocean current thru the 4 minute in length Finding Nemo attraction on the back of a spinning turtle would present some major thrillage! Adding a whole new deminsion to the dark ride genre is the "dry for wet" creative environment. I wonder if animatronics will be incorporated into the experience.

Your claim is moot, Alain, in your assertion that Walt Disney Studios' Nemo will be completely unique, while Disneyland's soon to be confirmed (on May 5th) Nemo subs will essentially add up to little more than a fefurbishment. BOTH RIDES WILL BE HIGHLY UNIQUE. Besides, there just might be some unannounced surprises in store inside the the lagoon cave. From the technological/artistic standpoint, DCA's long rumored Little Mermaid dark ride concept will, with any luck, be more like WDS's Nemo.

Pretty clever and insightful of you, Alain, where you conjectured about the PIXAR Cars based "traffic school" attraction. I think you are dead-on correct about the cars talking and travelling non-uniformly in different directions via trackless computerized remote control.

Mickey's Philharmagic's coming to DLP is, in all likelyhood, a done deal - at sometime in the not so distant future. From what I have heard, the Company's intention from the onset was to build a theater at each of their resorts, including the Disneyland resort.

What really intrigues me is the old Western River Expedition concept replacing The Song of the South as the new theme for a future Splash Mountain at DLP. You just can't keep a good notion down forever.

Now about that Space Mountain 2 music track. Just when is somebody going to hook us up with a functioning link?

Rabbits, Turtles, No Links - Goodbye.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-22-2005 at 08:05 PM.

Hello again, Alain Littaye, here

this one is for "ride warrior": dear ride warrior, i'm sorry to say that i've NEVER said in my article that the submarine nemo ride won't be unique or only "a refurbishment "
    what i've said exactly is: "Let’s have a closer look first at the Nemo ride, as it might very well be a worthy of an E-ticket, and it’s a totally different concept than the one you’ll probably see in Anaheim utilizing the existing "submarines."
    what my phrase means very clearly is that the two rides will be two different concepts ( or ride, if you want) , and , so, by definition, both of them will be unique. that's what i was meaning, nothing less, nothing more.

• Diamond In The Rough

Thanks for the update Alain.
    Some great food for thought. The only thing that concerns me is the possible language problems with Philarmagic - I'm not very familiar with the MK version, so I can't be sure how much dialog there is in it but we don't need another HISTA style overdub/headphones mess.

As long as the Cars attraction isn't carnie bumpers, I think the imagineers will do something decent.

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

• ...or just Tonny

Quote Originally Posted by loaloa
    O-Kay, Let's answer to Imagineer 1985, now, and to all of you who think that the "cars" attraction will be "bumper cars".
    Now, let's just think one minute, being in the head of the DLP CEO. What's his goal, here ? To bring back more people in the parks, okay? So, what will YOU do for this, if you had to choose? Spend your money in "bumper cars" and an old ride system like the mad mouse coasters?
    Well, I'm not saying your sources are incorrect, but I'm not putting my faith with current Disney management that they have enough common sense to build something good. They didn't have that common sense when building the studios in the first place.

The last one is for THRILLER ( or just Tony) : dear Tony, i'm sorry, but i would never sacrify cinemagique, probably the attraction in the park done with the more subtlty, intelligence, humor, etc...a little bit more of in-theatre special effects would have been probably even better, but the movie is a sensitive tribute to cinema history.
    I agree with you on that. The problem I have with Cinemagique however, is that it has nearly no repeatability at all. I saw it twice now, and while I liked it, someone would litterally have to drag me into the show building to see it a third time. It's just not worth it anymore when the surprises are gone. And since themeparks really need to rely on repeat guest visits, I think this is a bad attraction for the park...

Hello again,

a little answer for "thriller": dear thriller, i agree with you that when animagique secrets have been revealed after the first vision, it's not the same.if you're ( or anybody) going in the park each month, it's probably too short time from the previous vision to do it again and again. however, i think that for somebody who don't go to the park too often ( each six months, let's say) it's possible to see it again, particularly because of the intelligence with which it has been done.

And, about the common sense of disney management, you are right , and the building concept of the WDS could be a good example , BUT it was chosen by another management, under another CEO, etc.....and, believe me, the new management AND the imagineers have now perfectly realised the mistake they've done. So, i'm sure that they are not going to do the same mistake twice, especially at the WDS , which are their main problem to resolve. I mean, the biggest problem of the resort, right now, is to have people coming back ( or simply coming!) at the WDS. They MUST resolve this problem, it's crucial for the future of the resort.Everybody now this, you, me, the imagineers, DLR CEO and all his staff, etc....EVERYBODY is aware of that. Now, do you really think that, with all the lucidity they all have of the problem, they are going to spend millions of euros with cheap attractions?
    What i'm trying to say is that there is a minimum of logical in life, and even at DLR. They are going to spend nearly 300 millions of dollars in the new attractions ( 220 M euros) Where will they go? in cheap old fun fair like attractions which would be at the end destructive for the studios because once again they will not reach the guests expectations? Cmon! it won't make any sense...they know that they MUST built some really good quality attractions, even if there is two or three kind of "tickets" ( and nemo will surely be the "d" or "e" ticket of the toon studios). It's nearly a matter of life or death for the resort, they just can't miss this one. And for all these reasons, and also because they have the money needed for good quality rides, this is why i think it will be good at the end.
    Last edited by loaloa; 04-22-2005 at 02:53 AM.

• Rock The World

Thanks for another interesting article, Alain.
    I've got a piece of news that could explain the mystery surrounding the proposed Cars attraction. I was at the resort last week, and according to a good friend of mine (with some very strong connections to several of the Imagineers), the Cars ride will be a variation on the classic Tea Cups ride system.
    Guests will be able to spin their car through 360 degrees, while it traces a circular orbit around the ride area. However, it won't be identical to the Mad Hatter's Tea Cups. Instead, it will be more like the Whirlpool ride in the Mermaid Lagoon area of Tokyo DisneySea.
    The cars won't be attached to a single large spinning base. Instead, there will be three or four smaller bases revolving in different directions. The cars will be attached to the outside edge of these bases, and will pass from one to the other. This will result in each vehicle describing neat little figure-of-eight manoeuvres from one end of the ride area to the other.
    So, nothing too dramatic or hi-tech I'm afraid. All the same, with some decent theming and voices for the cars, this could turn out to be quite a fun little attraction. It should be especially great for kids.

• Iron-Clad Allie

[QUOTE=loaloa]Hello again, Alain Littaye, here

what i've said exactly is: "Let’s have a closer look first at the Nemo ride, as it might very well be a worthy of an E-ticket, and it’s a totally different concept than the one you’ll probably see in Anaheim utilizing the existing "submarines."
    what my phrase means very clearly is that the two rides will be two different concepts ( or ride, if you want) , and , so, by definition, both of them will be unique. ]

Thanks for the clarification, Alain. I agree that DLP's Nemo ride sounds like it will be an amazingly sophisticated "only one of its kind" E-ticket adventure. Beyond the show boxes that have been discussed during Disneylands experiments, I'm not sure as to what the technological/artistic elements of the subs will be. I do know that the ride will definitely be unique, and hope it will be of E-ticket quality.

Also, I am very much looking forward to DLP's Nemo ride, and hoping the May 5th announcement at the Disneyland Resort will, among other things, include verification that the subs will be themed to Finding Nemo.

Again Alain, fantastic article, and thanks for the intriguing update as to current happenings at the Disneyland Paris Resort, and possible new rides and attractions coming up in the future.

DLP on the whole is an incomparable diamond among parks, and I am happy to say that Walt Disney Studios looks to be on the right track!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-22-2005 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker
    Thanks for another interesting article, Alain.
    I've got a piece of news that could explain the mystery surrounding the proposed Cars attraction. I was at the resort last week, and according to a good friend of mine (with some very strong connections to several of the Imagineers), the Cars ride will be a variation on the classic Tea Cups ride system.
    Guests will be able to spin their car through 360 degrees, while it traces a circular orbit around the ride area. However, it won't be identical to the Mad Hatter's Tea Cups. Instead, it will be more like the Whirlpool ride in the Mermaid Lagoon area of Tokyo DisneySea.
    The cars won't be attached to a single large spinning base. Instead, there will be three or four smaller bases revolving in different directions. The cars will be attached to the outside edge of these bases, and will pass from one to the other. This will result in each vehicle describing neat little figure-of-eight manoeuvres from one end of the ride area to the other.
    So, nothing too dramatic or hi-tech I'm afraid. All the same, with some decent theming and voices for the cars, this could turn out to be quite a fun little attraction. It should be especially great for kids.
    dude, they also have that at DCA, Francis Ladybug Jitter or something similar to that

while I do think that they will put most efforts into the studios I'm doubting the Cars in as much as I'm also doubting that Nemo will be an E ticket (I'm sure it will be for the studios but I'm betting it comes off more Dticketish) with ToT opening soon after I can't see them adding that many Etickets that quickly

lets remeber that while this park does drasticaly need new rides it's still not technicaly owned by Disney and it doesn't have massive funding after all the trouble it's been through

most likly there'll be a bunch of filler rides one good ride and then they'll add an Eticket

• Rock The World

"lets remeber that while this park does drasticaly need new rides it's still not technicaly owned by Disney"
    I hate to tell yout his, Jspider, but the Walt Disney Studios park is owned and run by The Disney Company. (Parent company of EuroDisney SCA.) The set-up isn't the same as in Tokyo, where the resort is run as a franchise.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Western River Exposition

I would like to hear more about the rumored Western River Exposition storyline for a possible new Splash Mountain at Disneyland Paris.

The WRE concept was originally considered for WDW as a Pirates type of a ride. In fact, it was slated to be built instead of Pirates. Consequently, there was a public outcry on the east coast, demanding the beloved Pirates. WRE has since been considered dead in the water - and some critics have since suggested that many elements of the attraction would be politically in correct by today's standards.

As a Native American, I can tell you that many of the tribes were fighting eachother long before European's ever set foot in America. There is certainly nothing wrong with cowboys, Indians and other western folks being portrayed in a humorous vein in a ride such as this. Even though it might not happen, this Splash Mountain buzz rekindles the anticipation that there is a good chance it will come into being afterall.

Again, if we luck into this actually happening, it will demonstate that you just can't keep a good creative notion down forever!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-22-2005 at 10:03 AM.

Sorry guys, but I have to tell you something: Nemo will have a huge spinning roller coaster part. This does not mean that it will be a spinning wild mouse. It will not be a carnival ride. It will be built especially for Disney. But there will definitivaly be a roller coaster part. In interviews in french newspapers, imaginieers are even comparing Nemo to Big Thunder Mountain (not that it will be the same coaster, but that it will be a family coaster). So, here is the article:
    La Dernière Heure 08/04/2005 - Édition: E 1 NAMUR-LUX. Référence: 2005040805301e1nlldh
    Rubrique: CULTURE Page 53 - FR
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Titre: Les futures attractions sont en chantier

Jusqu'en 2008,on aura droit à une grosse nouveautétous les ans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARNE-LA-VALLÉE L'époque où il fallait attendre plusieurs années pour que Mickey inaugure une nouvelle attraction semble révolue. Le lancement du Space Mountain 2 ne constitue que la première étape d'un plan de redressement sur quatre ans. Désormais, grâce à un apport d'argent frais de 240 millions d'euros, que nous vous avions détaillé en janvier dernier, le parc va ouvrir une grosse nouveauté tous les ans jusqu'en 2008. Ainsi, juste en face du Space Mountain, les travaux battent leur plein dans l'ancien bâtiment du Visionarium. C'est là qu'ouvrira au printemps 2006 Buzz l'éclair, une attraction interactive où les visiteurs, armés de pistolets laser, devront aider le héros de Toy Story à combattre l'ignoble empereur Zorg. «L'attraction existe déjà aux Etats-Unis», explique Peter McGrath, directeur artistique des imaginieurs de Disneyland Paris, l'équipe chargée de concevoir les attractions. «On aura la meme version, mais légèrement plus longue.»

Ensuite, c'est le second parc, les Walt Disney Studios, qui bénéficiera d'un agrandissement plus que nécessaire. En 2007, on découvrira Toon Studios, un espace dédié aux personnages de dessins animés. « Toon Studios comprendra deux attractions, l'une inspirée de Cars, le prochain dessin animé Disney/Pixar, qui sortira en salles en 2006, et l'autre tirée du Monde de Nemo. Il s'agira d'un mélange d'attraction classique et de montagnes russes, genre Big Thunder Mountain. Certaines parties se feront lentement et d'autres seront plus rapides avec des descentes. Les wagons auront la forme de la tortue du dessin animé et tourneront sur eux-memes. On est aussi en train de créer de nouveaux effets spéciaux pour donner l'impression d'etre réellement sous l'eau tout en restant sec.»

Enfin, en 2008, les Walt Disney Studios accueilleront la fameuse Tour de la terreur. Là, il s'agit d'un classique des parcs Disney aux Etats-Unis: un hotel hanté que les visiteurs découvrent à bord d'un ascenseur, lorsque soudain les câbles lâchent. L'attraction n'ouvre que dans trois ans, mais les travaux ont déjà commencé. «On construit un véritable immeuble de 13 étages!» Bref, de quoi donner envie de revenir tous les ans à Disneyland Paris.

«Ouvrir de nouvelles attractions est la seule manière d'augmenter notre fréquentation. D'ailleurs, on réfléchit déjà à ce qu'on fera après 2008»

© La Dernière Heure 2005
    So, the sentence means: It will be a mix of dark ride and roller coaster like Big Thunder Mountain, some parts will be slow and other faster with drops. The cars will looks like the turtles from the cartoon and they will be able to spin.

Hello, Alain Littaye, here

2) about 20000 leagues at TDS, there is of course absolutely no water outside of the little submarine vehicles , the "dry for wet" effect is precisely done with lighting, dark light, smoke and special effects
    Just a tiny adjustment to this statement, the double-thick plane of glass you look through in TDS' 20K attraction DOES have water and (especially) bubbles running through the window itself, which is in turn illuminated by dark lights, smoke, and other lighting effects to give you a sense of being under water. The building and show rooms, of course, are completely dry, and there is only water in the windows in vehicals itself. But...there IS water!

• Iron-Clad Allie

[QUOTE=freddy]Sorry guys, but I have to tell you something: Nemo will have a huge spinning roller coaster part...So, the sentence means: It will be a mix of dark ride and roller coaster like Big Thunder Mountain, some parts will be slow and other faster with drops. The cars will looks like the turtles from the cartoon and they will be able to spin.

Since the other two Toon Studios rides will be such that families with small children can enjoy them together, a dark ride/major coaster attraction (with a spinning vehicle) would seem out of sorts with the new area.

The ride sounds like a cross between TDL's "dry for wet" 20K, Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. If this proves to be true, we will be in for one action drenched, white knuckle dark ride whammy!

"Dizzy.
    I'm so dizzy!
    I'm so dizzy my head is spinnin'.
    Like a whirlpool, it never ends.
    I'm so Dizzy!"
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-22-2005 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker
    "lets remeber that while this park does drasticaly need new rides it's still not technicaly owned by Disney"
    I hate to tell yout his, Jspider, but the Walt Disney Studios park is owned and run by The Disney Company. (Parent company of EuroDisney SCA.) The set-up isn't the same as in Tokyo, where the resort is run as a franchise.
    not from the way I've come to understand the deal

granted Disney has always had a stake in thepark moreso then Tokyo but I don't believe they run it directly (I know they share ownership of hong kong with the chinese government though my understanding is that they own the majority of the park)

from what I understand over the years Disney has increased ownership of the park as the park has gone through it's problems but Disney still doesn't fully own Disneyland Paris (but has managed to make money off of it dispite other people getting stuck with the debt)

the new expansion money is mostly coming fron Disney not demanding money from the park for now and the park going through some debt restructiring so that they can once again pay for decent additions

or are you saying the Studios park in praticular is owned by Disney? either way I've heard different for a long while and even rumors that Eisner would fully buy the Paris park to rack up some debt on Disney so that comcast wouldn't be interested (back in da day)

if you have some articles or something I'd be interested

Quote Originally Posted by kayoss
    Just a tiny adjustment to this statement, the double-thick plane of glass you look through in TDS' 20K attraction DOES have water and (especially) bubbles running through the window itself, which is in turn illuminated by dark lights, smoke, and other lighting effects to give you a sense of being under water. The building and show rooms, of course, are completely dry, and there is only water in the windows in vehicals itself. But...there IS water!
    Hello, Alain Littaye, here
    Will it be too much to ask to you, folks, to REALLY read what i say? Here is a perfect example above of somebody who did not read what i wrote. What i wrote exactly, is that " about 20000 leagues at TDS, there is of course absolutely no water outside of the little submarine vehicles " , AND IT'S EXACTLY TRUE. I've NEVER said that there was NOT water anywhere ( as there is indeed between the double thick glass window of the submarine ) , i've just said that there was no water OUTSIDE the submarine, and it's true.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast