Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    not from the way I've come to understand the deal

granted Disney has always had a stake in thepark moreso then Tokyo but I don't believe they run it directly (I know they share ownership of hong kong with the chinese government though my understanding is that they own the majority of the park)

from what I understand over the years Disney has increased ownership of the park as the park has gone through it's problems but Disney still doesn't fully own Disneyland Paris (but has managed to make money off of it dispite other people getting stuck with the debt)

the new expansion money is mostly coming fron Disney not demanding money from the park for now and the park going through some debt restructiring so that they can once again pay for decent additions

or are you saying the Studios park in praticular is owned by Disney? either way I've heard different for a long while and even rumors that Eisner would fully buy the Paris park to rack up some debt on Disney so that comcast wouldn't be interested (back in da day)

if you have some articles or something I'd be interested
    O-KAY, Let's make this point of the "disney owner of dlp, yes or no" clear definitely. The WDC owns 40% ( more or less) of the stock. The EURODISNEY SCA company is, in terms of law, totally independent of the WDC, but , in fact eurodisney must pay some royalties ( when they have the money) to the WDC. In fact, legally speaking , it's two different companies, but in reality, no decision is taken without a kind of approval from the WDC.
    It's just as simple as that. And it's a totally different situation of tokyo where Oriental land is the owner of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by freddy
    Sorry guys, but I have to tell you something: Nemo will have a huge spinning roller coaster part. This does not mean that it will be a spinning wild mouse. It will not be a carnival ride. It will be built especially for Disney. But there will definitivaly be a roller coaster part. In interviews in french newspapers, imaginieers are even comparing Nemo to Big Thunder Mountain (not that it will be the same coaster, but that it will be a family coaster). So, here is the article:
    La Dernière Heure 08/04/2005 - Édition: E 1 NAMUR-LUX. Référence: 2005040805301e1nlldh
    Rubrique: CULTURE Page 53 - FR
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Titre: Les futures attractions sont en chantier

Jusqu'en 2008,on aura droit à une grosse nouveautétous les ans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARNE-LA-VALLÉE L'époque où il fallait attendre plusieurs années pour que Mickey inaugure une nouvelle attraction semble révolue. Le lancement du Space Mountain 2 ne constitue que la première étape d'un plan de redressement sur quatre ans. Désormais, grâce à un apport d'argent frais de 240 millions d'euros, que nous vous avions détaillé en janvier dernier, le parc va ouvrir une grosse nouveauté tous les ans jusqu'en 2008. Ainsi, juste en face du Space Mountain, les travaux battent leur plein dans l'ancien bâtiment du Visionarium. C'est là qu'ouvrira au printemps 2006 Buzz l'éclair, une attraction interactive où les visiteurs, armés de pistolets laser, devront aider le héros de Toy Story à combattre l'ignoble empereur Zorg. «L'attraction existe déjà aux Etats-Unis», explique Peter McGrath, directeur artistique des imaginieurs de Disneyland Paris, l'équipe chargée de concevoir les attractions. «On aura la meme version, mais légèrement plus longue.»

Ensuite, c'est le second parc, les Walt Disney Studios, qui bénéficiera d'un agrandissement plus que nécessaire. En 2007, on découvrira Toon Studios, un espace dédié aux personnages de dessins animés. « Toon Studios comprendra deux attractions, l'une inspirée de Cars, le prochain dessin animé Disney/Pixar, qui sortira en salles en 2006, et l'autre tirée du Monde de Nemo. Il s'agira d'un mélange d'attraction classique et de montagnes russes, genre Big Thunder Mountain. Certaines parties se feront lentement et d'autres seront plus rapides avec des descentes. Les wagons auront la forme de la tortue du dessin animé et tourneront sur eux-memes. On est aussi en train de créer de nouveaux effets spéciaux pour donner l'impression d'etre réellement sous l'eau tout en restant sec.»

Enfin, en 2008, les Walt Disney Studios accueilleront la fameuse Tour de la terreur. Là, il s'agit d'un classique des parcs Disney aux Etats-Unis: un hotel hanté que les visiteurs découvrent à bord d'un ascenseur, lorsque soudain les câbles lâchent. L'attraction n'ouvre que dans trois ans, mais les travaux ont déjà commencé. «On construit un véritable immeuble de 13 étages!» Bref, de quoi donner envie de revenir tous les ans à Disneyland Paris.

«Ouvrir de nouvelles attractions est la seule manière d'augmenter notre fréquentation. D'ailleurs, on réfléchit déjà à ce qu'on fera après 2008»

© La Dernière Heure 2005
    So, the sentence means: It will be a mix of dark ride and roller coaster like Big Thunder Mountain, some parts will be slow and other faster with drops. The cars will looks like the turtles from the cartoon and they will be able to spin.
    O-KAY, Alain Littaye again: Let me tell you, this, folks: NEMO will NOT be a rollercoaster like big thunder mountain. There will very probably be some little drops ( like you have at splash mountain one or twice), not only because of the story line ( we're supposed to follow the east australia current), but, too, because, if you look well to the rendering, it's a two floor high building, which means that you have to go down from the 1st floor to the ground floor ( i told you to look to the renderings with attention!).
    There is another reason why it will NOT be a big thunder mountain roller coaster: look at the building again on the rendering. Okay? now, how long last BTM? . In paris - and we have the bigger and longer BTM, it last 2 min 45 sec. And it's a loooong track. Now, what did i say about the timing of the ride in my article? FOUR minutes long. You simply can't have a 4 min long roller coaster in this building shown on the rendering, there is not enough room for that. It's half the volume of the space mountain building, and SM last only for 2min45sec. So, forget about nemo as a roller coaster from the beginning to the end. Because, too, these toon studios are an area for YOUNG KIDS , as the park needs desperately attractions for young chidren. What Nemo will be, more probably, is a mix of soft dark ride ( dry for wet), with some not too long and cool drops, probably, as i've said, similar to the kind of little drop you have in splash mountain ( not the big drop, the small one) , with the turtles - as i've said in my article - which will spin, probably during the falls. But all this area is built for children from age 4 to 10, so don't expect in any case something wild.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Yeah, I expect the drops to be something like the drops at the start of Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by loaloa
    O-KAY, Let's make this point of the "disney owner of dlp, yes or no" clear definitely. The WDC owns 40% ( more or less) of the stock. The EURODISNEY SCA company is, in terms of law, totally independent of the WDC, but , in fact eurodisney must pay some royalties ( when they have the money) to the WDC. In fact, legally speaking , it's two different companies, but in reality, no decision is taken without a kind of approval from the WDC.
    It's just as simple as that. And it's a totally different situation of tokyo where Oriental land is the owner of the park.
    well this is kind of what I was saying before

it's in a unique situation from all the other disney parks it's pockets arn't as deep as youd' think but they are being given elbow room to help build additions because additions is what will bring in money and money is what will set them free from the hole they're in (though we all know DLP will never be what Tokyo was because Tokyo was free and independent from the start? or not to long after I think, different mindsets from then and now)

I expect a few big rides but I can't expect them to go all out because I don't think it's possible

it is a wise move to increase ride count and make things more impressive and then top it all off with one big ride so that when you have something advertisable to bring people in people will go in and realize how much more there is to do

Question

Hi Alain

Thanks for your great article (and I love your book, I hope there will be a second one which will include the studios park).

Anyway, when the second piece of concept art was released by Rasulo, rumours were popping up on other sites that the track would go outside the building. On the concept art, you can cleary see something green coming ouside. Is this just a piece of decoration or the actual track??

I know this is offtopic, but do you know something about the street sets? Or something else that can go behind the current Studio Tram Tour station?

Many thanks!

A big fan

• Disney Parks Fan

Okay, I'm totally confused here. I was under the impression that the French did not have the "Easter Bunny" per se. That it was really an American thing. Instead, they have bells that fly in from Rome, right?

See here for details:
    http://www.webscapades.com/blog/noeasterbunny.htm

Is this a major cultural faux pas on the part of Disney? Are thousands of French visitors scratching their heads, going "What's up with all the rabbits?" Or is the American version taking over (sort of like Halloween) in France?

Hi ColumnWest! Great to see you here. You probably don't remember me, but we were supposed to meet at DLRP 2 years ago at Hotel Santa Fe... :o

Anyway, don't worry. Both the bells and the easter bunny are well known here. Although the bells are more kind of a Christian thing.

Hello , Alain Littaye here,

Wel, your question about the track which is going out is a good one. It's true that on the rendering you can see a track going out of the nemo attraction building and seems to go in again. I didn't talk about it, simply because i don't have any info. SO, it could be part of the attraction , or simply a decor element. What i feel strange is that there is no shelter over the outside track, and, as it rain quite often in france, it's hard for me to believe that the turtle vehicle could go out , even for a few seconds , with guests on it, eventually exposed to the rain...so, i think we'll have to wait a little bit more to be sure about this outside track...

And, about the street sets, as a matter of fact, there IS a project of new street sets , but as the executives had to make a choice, they probably choose the most urgent - a bigger land and new attractions for young kids - than street sets which would have been "decor only" . It will come later, probably, as the WDS desperately needs "theming" decor, but i'm afraid we'll have to wait more...

• Iron-Clad Allie

Whether there's an outside track or not, Nemo seems to be shaping up to be an exciting overall ride experience via spinning turtles, moderate sized Pirates-like drops, and dry for wet effects. Just like the Aladdin spinner and the Cars "driving school", it will be a ride that families with young kids can enjoy together. This is one of the main motivational factors that Walt built Disneyland for in the first place.

With Toon Studios, the DLP Resort is going to have a major hit on its hands. At this stage in the game, Walt Disney Studios cannot afford anything less. Personally, I would like to see other top notch attractions gradually replace some of those that were built on the cheap, and have low attendance figures to show for it.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-29-2005 at 10:36 AM.

O-KAY, Alain Littaye again: Let me tell you, this, folks: NEMO will NOT be a rollercoaster like big thunder mountain.
    Well, Alain, I do not want to contradict you, but it is the boss of the imagineering in Paris who says that the ride WILL BE A MIX OF DARK RIDE AND ROLLER COASTER. So, I guess that we can believe him. Of course, when he says that it will be like Big Thunder Mountain, he does not mean that it will be the same size, but he means that it will be a family coaster. It will be mostly a dark ride, but with a real spinning roller coasters part, not just one or two small drops. If you look at the concept art, you see clearely the track going out of the building. And about the size of the building, you should know better tha me that concept art does not give a real indication of the real size of a building, though it is clearly much more than two story high...

Quote Originally Posted by freddy
    O-KAY, Alain Littaye again: Let me tell you, this, folks: NEMO will NOT be a rollercoaster like big thunder mountain.
    Well, Alain, I do not want to contradict you, but it is the boss of the imagineering in Paris who says that the ride WILL BE A MIX OF DARK RIDE AND ROLLER COASTER. So, I guess that we can believe him. Of course, when he says that it will be like Big Thunder Mountain, he does not mean that it will be the same size, but he means that it will be a family coaster. It will be mostly a dark ride, but with a real spinning roller coasters part, not just one or two small drops. If you look at the concept art, you see clearely the track going out of the building. And about the size of the building, you should know better tha me that concept art does not give a real indication of the real size of a building, though it is clearly much more than two story high...
    Dear Freddy, what i just say is this toon studios land is built specially for young kids (4-10years old, let's say) because the studios need desperately attraction for young kids. So this is why i'm pretty sure we will not have a "hard" roller coaster, as well as i'm also sure that the theme of the "sea current" will give opportunity to have some drops , even "long" drops, or a bigger speed of the vehicule for some few seconds.... but a roller coaster from the beginning to the end, certainly not.
    As for the size on the building we can see on the rendering, here is why we always can trust a rendering: do you know for who WDI is doing renderings when they create an attraction? not for you or me. and even not for the marketing or the press office, even if they use them at the end. They first do it for the client, i.e oriental land co in japan, eurodisney ceo in paris, etc...to show them what they propose them to put their money in, in the new attraction concept. This is why renderings are reliable, because they must show to the "client" what he will exactly get at the end. In this case - the nemo ride - i know very well, too, the place where they are going to built it , which was , until the preliminary works began two weeks ago - a parking lot, not a small one, but not a big one too , and, considering the size of the parking lot AND the supposed height of the building - as this "reliable" rendering show it to us - AND the timing of the ride ( 4 minutes) i'm sorry, but it is strictly impossible to built a 4 min roller coaster in this "volume" of space............. But i will be pleased to apologize if i'm wrong at the end!
    Last edited by loaloa; 04-28-2005 at 03:40 PM.

Hi Alain, I'm going offtopic again with this, I'm very sorry.

But I'm wondering this since my first visit to the WDS park.

When you come out the Studio 1 building, the first thing you see in the distance is.... that hideous Studio Tram Tour station. This can't be ment to be like that? Do you know what was planned for that location? The street sets? Or something else? :confused:

Quote Originally Posted by raptor1982
    Hi Alain, I'm going offtopic again with this, I'm very sorry.

But I'm wondering this since my first visit to the WDS park.

When you come out the Studio 1 building, the first thing you see in the distance is.... that hideous Studio Tram Tour station. This can't be ment to be like that? Do you know what was planned for that location? The street sets? Or something else? :confused:
    Dear Raptor, the tram tour station you see when you go out of studio 1 has always been designed with the possibilty to move it when there will be new addition in this direction.
    And about street sets, yes, there is a project which has been designed by imagineers after the opening of the park, and, hopefully, will be done one day......i think that everybody at dlp is aware of the lack of theming decor in this park. The management just decided to resolve first what was the main problem: a land for young kids, as they'll do it now with the toon studios. Then, it will be the turn of the tower of terror in 2008. So, i'll be you , i will not expect new street sets before .....2010!

• Iron-Clad Allie

First off, here's an observation based on taking another look at the Toon Studios rendoring: The Cars "driving school" attraction is, for all intents and purposes, a flat ride - just like the lower tech spinners, saucers, and carousels. More particularly, Cars is a bumper car style attraction, albeit, the vehicles cannot colide. Nevertheless, they apparently travel independently in all directions just like their predecessor. The ride's computer controlled remote guidance system functions only to keep the vehicles from banging into eachother - just like the computer safety system installed for TDS's Aquatopia and TDL's Pooh.

Next, I thought I'd bring up the elevated track-like protrusion that extends away from and back to what appears to be two large openings in the Nemo building. The subject as to what it could be has previously been mentioned, but logic dictates that it is exactly what it appears to be, "track", perhaps coaster track (regardless of whether such outdoor ride features normally have some sort of cover above them or not). Still, I agree that the ride will be a family adventure, and not overly wild in terms of twists, turns, speed or drops.

Finally, there is a little fear on my part that management might, at the last minute, opt for a budget cutback that would reduce the scale and design of the Nemo attraction, thereby making it less grandiose, and more subject to malfunctions and breakdowns. This has proven to be the case with virtually everything they have done in the past. If they stick with the current plan, though, it will be among the best attractions in Disney history!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-02-2005 at 05:51 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123