Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• Big Member

Re: 7/13: Setting Sail

Quote Originally Posted by migo
    Stinky, if your mother is a very large woman, and isn't comfortable out in public in a setting where she can't wear her mumu's, you can always (next time) have your food brought to your room. Just an idea.
    She has a hard time fitting through the cabin doors, so we stayed in our room pretty much the entire time. She liked to flirt with the little ship men who came in to our room with the food as it was. She thought one of them looked like Gopher.

Yes, I ended up buying her some Hilo Hatties though for the nights we went out to dinner.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee
    Yup. I do. I want to be surprised, amazed, delighted. Much of that is gone for me if I have to plan it out ahead of time or have researched what to do (it's also why I avert my eyes in the movie theaters while they show trailers of upcoming movies).
    I'm with you on the movie thing, Kevin - I do the same thing, both at the movies and on TV when they give you copious details about what's coming up next week. But here's the difference, continuing the movie and TV analogy. Would you go to a movie theater and just hope that there's a movie that you want to see? Would you sit down in front of the TV and expect that the shows that are on are going to be your favorites? Of course not - you would do the minimum of checking schedules to see what's on or what's playing.

I can't think of any worse way for a tourist to experience WDW for the first time than just showing up at the gate and expecting to see and do all of the great things that are available. They don't need to plan every little pickin' detail, but they at least should have a general idea of what they're about to experience. Same with cruising.

I hope your ego doesn't get all smashed up by all of this negativity, amigo. But at least the online chatter here isn't going in your favor. It may be time to rethink some conclusions. Whether you do or not, keep yer chin up, and keep the news coming!!!

• Golden Girls Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyPete
    She liked to flirt with the little ship men who came in to our room with the food as it was. She thought one of them looked like Gopher.
    I love your large mom already! Gopher was my favorite Love Boat character too.

• Big Member

Quote Originally Posted by suttytx
    I love your large mom already! Gopher was my favorite Love Boat character too.

Issac was "the man"! When I go to heaven and I step up to the bar, I want him helping me get through my blues.

• Circle of Ancients

Forgot to include this in my last post. Such research is WORK. The point to a Disney vacation used to be showing up and having a good time; thinking is not required.
    Kevin, I fully support your review and your right to say it. It's your opinion, you spent $6000+ and didn't feel like you got your money's worth. You have EVERY right to complain.

My point of contention is the quote above. Who HAS NOT gone on a Disney vacation and NOT done some research?

Here we all are posting on a "Disney" board, not only because we love Disney but it's also a good resource for trip planning. We buy guides to Disney in droves, you yourself have written books on Disney and while they aren't specifically "Trip Planners" I'm sure you do get some people buying your books to find the "101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland" while they are on vacation.

For me I don't think that planning a vacation is WORK. I find it quite enjoyable and I have a feeling had you done even a little research you may have gotten your $6000 worth.

Hi Kevin!

You know what? Just chalk it up to a first time cruiser. I've been on a few and on my first, I too was the one eating at the fast food places, because of the attire I'd brought. Usually, there is a VERY formal dinner too! And the captin's reception, ect.

And all cruise attack with the drinks thing. The only little thing I can say is - Celiberty Cruise IS MUCH MUCH WORSE!! Thanks your lucky stars.

Oh and, MOST parents are ***thrilled*** that the kids are away for most of the day!

Thomas
    "Decisions are easy, if you know what your values are" - Roy Disney

My first cruise was on DCL and I have to say it was the best vacation I've ever taken. We've now sailed once to the Western Caribbean and once to the Eastern Caribbean on Disney, and just this May we went to Alaska on Princess. I absolultely love DCL and it was even more evident as I sailed on Princess and kept comparing everything.

If selecting a cruise is all about the money, there are ways to save. We opt to save money and go with a cheap stateroom. We don't buy drinks either. We've been able to sail with DCL for about $1900 for the cruise and about $500 onboard tab (excursions, tips, souvineers, etc).

We sure missed Disney on our last cruise, so we'll be trying out the Wonder in January. I think the best way to compare DCL with something else is to try both and then decide. A lot of the complaints in the article are standard to the cruise industry. I'd like to know what you think after taking a cruise on another line.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by stampinshauna
    A lot of the complaints in the article are standard to the cruise industry. I'd like to know what you think after taking a cruise on another line.
    I do recognize that, and should have said more than just once in the article. What I was trying to say was that the Disney brand - the REAL thing they are selling - usually implies that they do things a little differently.

I mean, if Disney just did amusement parks like everyone else did, there would be Ferris Wheels, midways and barkers, and underthemed coasters. Until DCA, Disney parks WERE different from the industry.

I guess maybe my expectations were that they would be Disney first, and a cruise second. But I found that to be true only on Castaway Cay.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    you yourself have written books on Disney and while they aren't specifically "Trip Planners" I'm sure you do get some people buying your books to find the "101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland" while they are on vacation.
    Since you asked: the target audience of the books I've written so far is explicitly people who are looking for "more." More ways to enhance the experience, more details, etc. That implies either someone who PREFERS to research a trip ahead of time, or someone who is a repeat visitor.

Note that I have nothing against people who do prefer to research ahead of time. But to assume that all your customers are doing so is a risky business move, if you ask me.

So to circle back to my books, I would probably recommend a first time visitor to Disneyland or WDW to enjoy the parks first WITHOUT my books, or indeed any guide books. A second or third visit, or beyond, is the appropriate time for books like that.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    I hope your ego doesn't get all smashed up by all of this negativity, amigo.
    "Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich staerker." But Nietzsche aside, I find it informative and downright useful to hear negative feedback when the crowds feel it's warranted. It keeps me grounded, and it helps remind me who is reading the site (and I caution that I do get a range of reactions on emails, so it's a constant battle to decide just WHICH audience to aim a particular story at).

But even beyond all that, I really am a dialectical thinker. I do not fear discussion and polite debate. I think, on the whole, we all emerge the stronger and the wiser for it.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I would probably recommend a first time visitor to Disneyland or WDW to enjoy the parks first WITHOUT my books, or indeed any guide books. A second or third visit, or beyond, is the appropriate time for books like that.
    Really? I find that kinda hard to believe, but hey, you said it right there so I guess I have to believe it. We just differ on this point. I would NEVER expect someone to go to DL or WDW with no knowledge and no expectations. There's just too great a chance of someone spending the entire day in Fantasyland and thinking that that was all there was to the park, or eating just burgers because they didn't know about the fine dining available. There's something to be said about surprises, true. But there's even more to be said about going on a vacation unprepared and expecting the destination to just somehow totally take care of you. I think that's unrealistic.

Blog Entries

I can say with some assurance that many folks arrive at Disney parks with the same attitude. As I said previously, in some ways that's what they are paying for - the right to show up and just be blown away, no research needed.
    And many of those folks wind up on these very message boards complaining because they couldn't figure out how to find the character they wanted to meet, that the ride they wanted to ride had been scheduled down for refurb for months, or that they didn't realize it rained every day in Orlando. Had they taken a few hours and done some research all of this would have been answered for them.

You know Disney like the back of your hand so you don't need a guidebook. You don't need research. You can just show up and be surprised, but had you never gone to Disney before you'd come away with quite a few complaints if you didn't do your research just like hundreds of guests do every day.

• I Miss Carnation Plaza

I agree with a lot of what Kevin wrote - but yes, the other posters are correct, Kevin, you should have done a little more homework about the dress code and cruise experience.

But Kevin does have MAJOR point - when you buy a Disney Cruise experience, it is a LOT more expensive if you only have a 3 year old. The whole reason DCL is more expensive is the activites your kids enjoy AWAY from you, the adult who is trying to escape from them. Disney's main difference is all the help they have and shipboard areas dedicated to kids exclusively. No other cruise line does that, and I would argue, does it quite as well. However, if you don't have a lot of 5-9 year olds (the best age, I think), this is money wasted.

The constant fleecing you for money - in many ways I agree, but I also realize that cruise lines are just trying to limit the flow of and activites to only those who really want it.

I've been on many cruise lines, and I think if you have no kids, do NOT go on a Disney Cruise Line, unless you have lots of money to burn. I personally like Princess and Celebrity. The families I see who Love the Disney Cruise Line experience were usually the single parents with kids aged 5-12. Mom wants some peace and quiet time, a chance to do some fun things and lay out by the pool, the kids are in a safe environment, and everyone gets together for dinner every evening and then enjoys some top-notch *family friendly* stage show entertainment at night. *That's* the unique Disney experience that other line offers, and I think they do a fantastic job at it.

• Mexihick, y'all

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel
    I've been on many cruise lines, and I think if you have no kids, do NOT go on a Disney Cruise Line, unless you have lots of money to burn. I personally like Princess and Celebrity. The families I see who Love the Disney Cruise Line experience were usually the single parents with kids aged 5-12. Mom wants some peace and quiet time, a chance to do some fun things and lay out by the pool, the kids are in a safe environment, and everyone gets together for dinner every evening and then enjoys some top-notch *family friendly* stage show entertainment at night. *That's* the unique Disney experience that other line offers, and I think they do a fantastic job at it.

We don't have children and went on it. It cost us 2500 for two, for a 3 day land, 4 day cruise, with a balcony. It was wonderful. I love how they hide the kids away.

• Golden Girls Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by migo
    We don't have children and went on it. It cost us 2500 for two, for a 3 day land, 4 day cruise, with a balcony. It was wonderful. I love how they hide the kids away.
    $2500 sounds closer to what ours cost us, as well. Kevin's rates seemed really, really high.

As for the drinks, I can down a gallon of Pabst Blue Ribbon in under 2 minutes, so it's really my fault when my room bill comes out to $3,100 for beverages.

45 of those Bahama Mama's make all the pain go away...and causes a horrible sunburn.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast