• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/18: A Tale of Two Studios, Part III

Guest columnist Peter Bell on what could/should have been, and what did/might happen at the Paris Disney Studios park. Discuss it here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 7/18: A Tale of Two Studios, Part III

Fantastic article!!

I still dont understand the reasoning in putting Buzz Lightyear into Disneyland Park, instead of WDS? The main park didnt gain an attraction, it swapped one, and the studios needs the development! Still, its done now.

Lets hope that all these plans come to bear. I love WDS, or I love the idea of what it could/will become!!

• What have I done?

Great read although I must admit very jealous that WDS is getting all this attention and Soarin' Over The World wow. I will have to visit after some of its Placemaking has taken shape.... hmmmm now how can we get this to go on at our WDS (DCA lol).

"This guy!"

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by penfold12
    Fantastic article!!

I still dont understand the reasoning in putting Buzz Lightyear into Disneyland Park, instead of WDS? The main park didnt gain an attraction, it swapped one, and the studios needs the development! Still, its done now.

Lets hope that all these plans come to bear. I love WDS, or I love the idea of what it could/will become!!
    Peter, this is indeed one terrific read! I very much look forward to additional articles from you in the future.

Penfold -

Should you recall, Matt Ouimet needed to shoehorn a to[ family attraction into Disneyland quickly, for the 50th celebration of the park's birthday. Plus, Tomorrowland was almost void of attractions, and DEAD at the time. Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters not only met this criteria, but it was relatively easy and inexpensive to build.

Why install a ride at Disney-MGM Studios that is an updated version of the Magic Kingdom's Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin? Sounds like you would have denied Disneyland a new attraction on it's own birthday, in order to duplicate the same ride (essentially) at two different WDW parks. On all levels, that would have been pretty shortsighted and impractical.

Like all stateside Disney parks, "new management" is what DMS was was in dire need of. It has that now, in the form of people such as Iger and Lasseter. In addition, whoever it is that replaces Eisner croney Mitchell as Chairman is bound to be better, in all respects.

The coming Midway Mania should livin' things up at DMS quite a bit. This ride will be of the same genra as Buzz Lightyear, plus it will include groundbreaking technology! Of further benefit are other attractions rumored for the park...a new Indiana Jones ride comes to mind. I'm certain that new attractions are coming that will be on par with those at WDS' Toon Studios as well.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-18-2006 at 08:15 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Blog Entries

All this talk of Soarin over the world sets off a lightbulb in my head. There's been many rumors over the past year about Epcot getting an updated version of Soarin since Soarin over California doesn't really fit into Epcot's theme. The biggest rumor that has seemed to have any teeth is that Epcot would get a soarin' over the world ride which would fit perfectly into the ideas of World Showcase. If this film is "In the Can" as the article says, I wonder how long before the version at Epcot gets this film. Maybe in time for say Epcot's 25th birthday?

nice article.

The possible changes to WDS make quite a bit of sense and would require less capitol investment than producing new attractions from scratch.

Soarin' technology is ready and easily duplicated and the movie is one that had been in the works for Epcot which would ift the pavilions theming much better. It makes snese for them to duplicate the attraction at WDS. They could easily make it fit the studio theming by placing it an area of the park that pays tribute to Epic movies of flight and/or exotic places.

The incredibles attraction is the same one being developed for DCA as its next big "E" attraction and which WDW has been itching to get its hands on also.

The Toon area could easily be made bigger by duplicating a couple of the attractions already found in TDS' Mermaid lagoon and DCA's bugsland with litle investment.

Another attraction that could possibly be duplicated with minimal design cost could be Midway Madness. This attraction first designed for DCA has attracted WDW management and will duplicate it and built it in an already built building formerly occupied by Who Wants to be A millionare. (ironically because a new building does not have to be built WDW will end up beating DCA's opening date by a few months) This attraction already developed could easily be duplicated for WDS with some minor twicking and could be placed in toon studio area or the technology could be used with a theme change and instead of using cartoon characters it could be more movie related and add an attraction in another location of the growing park.

The studios future looks bright. Lets hope that they are not just basing the possible changes and additions to the park on the basis that both Paris parks need to reach high capacity. the studio will need more than one "e" ticket and a couple of "b" and "d" tickets (in toon studios) to do that. Also Disneyland Paris needs to have something new and attractive that will up its attendance even if its somekind of entertainment venue.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole
    All this talk of Soarin over the world sets off a lightbulb in my head. There's been many rumors over the past year about Epcot getting an updated version of Soarin since Soarin over California doesn't really fit into Epcot's theme. The biggest rumor that has seemed to have any teeth is that Epcot would get a soarin' over the world ride which would fit perfectly into the ideas of World Showcase. If this film is "In the Can" as the article says, I wonder how long before the version at Epcot gets this film. Maybe in time for say Epcot's 25th birthday?
    Actually, the current rumor that I have heard is that Soarin' Over America will be the new working title and theme that will be in place in 2008. In consideration of the larger geographical scope, I'm hoping that the ride/film will be a tad longer than "California". A ride that would encompass every region and nation of the world would be too much of a synopsis...a collage of snippets. "America" would rock my world!!!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Banned User

is this ioncreibles attraction stationary robot arms.. or robot arms on a track??

(Disney and universal were tinkering with that concept.... Van helsing got scraped and was to use the tech.. Disney can take it now and rush it..)

Soarin over the world you say... (Did nestle pay for this movie?? it would make some sence since it fits Epcot.... mostly..)

• Disneyland Paris Fan

Wink Re: 7/18: A Tale of Two Studios, Part III

Ride Warrior:
    Why install a ride at Disney-MGM Studios that is an updated version of the Magic Kingdom's Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin? Sounds like you would have denied Disneyland a new attraction on it's own birthday, in order to duplicate the same ride (essentially) at two different WDW parks.
    When reading your post, I get the feeling you are talking about the US-Disney parks. The article and this chat are about the Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney Studios in Paris!

In Paris it would have made sense to put Buzz Lightyear in the WDS-park and not in the Disneyland-park. But the management probable wanted to have the Disneyland-park a new attraction, since there had not been a real new attraction for years!
    Last edited by Tommie; 07-20-2006 at 04:18 AM.

• ...or just Tonny

Wel, overall it's good news. But I'm not sure about the Soarin' thing. The park already has more than enough sit-down show-attraction if you ask me.
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

• No honestly it is me

Another fantastic article Peter, thank you!

I still think soarin is a bad idea. I just don't think it will draw people into the park in the same way that tower of terror, a boulevard, the great movie ride or an indiana jones adventure ride would.

I too would like a great movie ride sitting at the end of a boulevard! I hope they keep the chinese theatre as it's entrance!

Can you tell us any more about the plaza and spiral fountain?
    Are there other possible attractions in the pipeline or is soarin a deffinate if 2007 works out?

My personal wish list would be:
    2008: Mikeys' philharmagic and Omnidroid ride
    2009: plaza/boulevard, tram re-do and street sets.
    2010: next big e-ticket (Great movie ride should come first not soarin!)
    2011: Monsters Inc dark ride (should be a sequel by then)
    2012: something original!

I also think the old plans for a beauty and the beast animatronic/live stage show should be dusted off and put somewhere in toon studios as i really believe this would be an amazing and popular attraction.

Sorry for the long post, my imagination ran away with me!