• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/20: Review Queue

A Look at Some Recent Disney Books, A Review of Universal 360, More... Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• MiceAge Columnist

Re: 7/20: Review Queue

Kevin,

I don't think you really mean 'conceit' in the sentence :-

"The conceit behind the book is that it's like walking through Epcot with an Imagineer by your side, and the forced perspective section dutifully takes you through the increasingly small scale of objects higher-up, but also points out how the process works in reverse to make the American Adventure building seem like it's only a few stories high, when in fact it's taller. These are the kind of details that die-hard fans might well know already. If so, you could probably get a similar experience by literally walking through Epcot with a knowledgeable friend."

Try 'concept'

Ian
    "I'm surrounded by idiots"

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Great article Kevin I also own a few of those books like the art of Cars,Pirates and the Imagineering book on Epcot.I think your reviews are fair and spot on.

Good to see WDW following up on its maintenance issues,including following up on issues you havn't even mention.Also thanks to you Kevin for shaming WDW in the first place,some people may think like Al ,that your way too critical at times but hey in order for Disney to take notice you need to be sometimes.

Hmm... Kevin Yee.... still whining and crying like a baby as usal. At least I found Illuminations boring to death and not as superior as what you stated.

I have to agree with Kevin and his comments about Universal 360.

The show is long, boring, without a story or theme other than miscellanous Universal clips thrown together often without rhyme or reason. It's more of a "look what we can do!" When the show was over my partner turned to me with a look of disbelief and said "who put this together?"

There is a part where they show the 40 year old virgin clip where his chest gets waxed and he screams "aaahhh! Kelly Clarkson!" at the same time they shoot a couple fireworks from the water and then it all goes dark . I laughed out loud and thought "my God, this is the strangest ending to the worst show I've ever seen." Luckily (so to speak) it continued after a short pause.

I actually posted these very same comments on a bulletin board and I got attacked left and right. Maybe we are jaded. Maybe as locals we are so used to seeing high quality shows whenever we want to that something like this seems horrible to us but not to people who come here on vacation. I mean, people did clap at the end.

I guess I expected more from an entertainment giant like Universal. I mean, these people brought us rides like Spiderman, Mummy, Men in Black, and IOA, a theme park with very good theming overall.

I live by Universal and I hear (and see) the finale every night at 10 and it just makes me think of the poor people who decided to stay longer than planned and waited by the lagoon only to be the audience of a horribly disjointed show.
    Last edited by David R; 07-20-2006 at 04:35 AM.

Wow, I was just talking with my wife a few weeks ago about a book I almost bought when I was a teenager called "Gardens of WDW" and my wife ILL'd from the local public library, but they had to have it back yesterday. I had no idea that there was a newer (though not the same) version out there. I think the cover price for the original was $40 in 1989. I wont make that mistake again.

Blog Entries

Is the Universal show as good as Illuminations? No, it has no chance. Universal is located way too close to home developments and can't do a real fireworks show. It's a shame because I do think they can do a good job. Does this compare to illuminations? No, but is it as boring as you made it out to sound? No.

I personally feel it's a good show. If you're expecting illuminations then you may be let down, but if you go in with an open mind and no preset expectations it's an enjoyable show and a good ending to a day in the parks. It's a shame Universal can't just buy up all the surrounding homesites so they can truly give a real show but compared to some of their old shows this one is quite good.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by simla999
    Hmm... Kevin Yee.... still whining and crying like a baby as usal. At least I found Illuminations boring to death and not as superior as what you stated.
    Thats nice good for you

If the Universal show really isn't as good as the current Illuminations, then I'm not so sure I want to go out of my way to see it. I miss the original Illuminations, I think the new version has way too much of a break in the fireworks to watch wild horses run around the globe. The original did such an excellent job of involving most of the countries and mixing in the music from those countries. I like a lot of the Universal movies too, so I might enjoy Universal's show.

We're going to WDW next summer and I was considering having us try to hit the highlights of IOA and USF in the same day, but I'm thinking we may just stick to IOA.

• Just this guy......

I sounds like Universal 360 has good technology, but just needs a good script writer to pull things together. Who knows we might see Universal 360 v2 down the road.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Ian P
    Kevin,

I don't think you really mean 'conceit' in the sentence :-

"The conceit behind the book is that it's like walking through Epcot with an Imagineer by your side, and the forced perspective section dutifully takes you through the increasingly small scale of objects higher-up, but also points out how the process works in reverse to make the American Adventure building seem like it's only a few stories high, when in fact it's taller. These are the kind of details that die-hard fans might well know already. If so, you could probably get a similar experience by literally walking through Epcot with a knowledgeable friend."

Try 'concept'

Ian
    I think he does mean conceit. Try definition number 4.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conceit
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Iron-Clad Allie

Regrdless of the review, Universal 360 still looks like fun. The globe screens look like a dazzling piece of technological innovation. Kevin is correct in his assertion, though, that there is nothing about the show that will not pale in comparison with Illuminations. The new Seuss trolly ride just might be good enough to drive attendance up a little. I know that I am looking forward to jaunting about on them in the future, big time!

Secrets of Disney's Glorious Gardens appeals to me more than all of the present set of book selections put together. It is quite refreshing that the emphasis is placed on actual gardening tricks and techniques, with a pictorial of WDW foliage being intersperced as a secondary component.

Should I purchase this book down the road, one can be rest assured that my new found gardening skills will create a
    "growing conceit".
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-20-2006 at 08:28 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Banned User

This new show was probably rushed together... (Especially with the complaints from the neighbors, and the lady who complained before the show was previewed and tested...)

The Halloween show is in development for HHN... and I would not be surprised to hear of a holiday show after that.... they show off the technology, then with money from a different show fix up the shows...

• Banned User

I feel Kevin's comments on Universal 360 are right on. I too was bored with this show as it didn't make sense or had a rhythm to it. Besides the circular tv screens... there is not much more there we have not seen before. For a good Universal show on the lagoon, go see the Peter Pan show at Universal Japan.

AS for the MK upkeep... it may not be in the Pressler state of dismay but it sure isn't close to what a Disneyland park should be like in maintenance!