• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/24: A Spin Around Asia

Guest columnist Alain Littaye offers an Asian theme park round-up, with news from Korea, China and Japan. Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 7/24: A Spin Around Asia

I am surprised that there are no plans for HKDL other than Small World. I would think they'd add at least 1 or 2 smaller dark rides to Fantasyland to help boost the ride capacity. The Fantasyland there seems to not have the same vibe as other parks as it only has a Pooh dark ride.

I really like the retro look of the Autopia cars, much better than the DLR Anaheim versions.
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• Earth Intruder

Wow I find it incredible how amazing that Legends Of Mythica water show looks..... and somehow DL hasn't had the budget to replace a giant Ursula balloon in how many years for Fantasmic?

Tower of Terror is stunning as well. Thanks for the update!
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Can't wait to find out more about the theming and storyline connected w/ TDS'sTowe of Terror. Looks to be roveting and unique. Plus guests from abroad would be more likely to seek a new experience than to repeat a cloned ride. Legends of Mythica certainly has a creative name, and the show should be sensational! Although you didn't mention it, I'm anxious to find out more about the coming revamp of the Sinbad dark ride. Aqutopia Wet Course also looks like fun.

Hope investors pull together to make the grand plans happen for the elaborate Korean MGM park. Speaking of grand plans, it's too bad that Vegas's MGM Grand Hotel 's theme park was so underfunded and cheesy (a number of year's back). Had it been otherwise, they could have made that venture work. I did get a cherished autographed copy of an Oz book from L. Frank Baum's grandson, though...and had a long and interesting conversation with him.

Hong Kong Disneyland's three new attractions represent nothing major - not even collectively. But, they do look like fun. If it were to be, Pirate Mountain would certainly pull in more guests from abroad in a couple of years. However, they are probably making the right call with It's a Small World in consideration of lacal interest.

Still, I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for both rides. You just never know about those decision making rascals at Disney - especially these days (Michael Eisner being nothing but a bad dream). Wonder if they would include the seasonal It's a Small World Holiday make-over there?

Top notch article as usual, Alain. You have us all expecting a captivating, immersive experience upon giving your posts a read - and not a mere write-up. Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-24-2006 at 09:46 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    Wow I find it incredible how amazing that Legends Of Mythica water show looks..... and somehow DL hasn't had the budget to replace a giant Ursula balloon in how many years for Fantasmic?

Tower of Terror is stunning as well. Thanks for the update!
    Hello, Glad you liked the update, thanks.
    You can see a video of the whole "legends of mythica" disney sea show at: http://www.dlrp.fr/actulargeasia.php?id=87

I find it interesting that the entrance to the MGM theme park looks like the gates at Paramount Pictures!
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• Sea Creature

I've been to that official Tower of Terror website a few times and taken the virtual tour, but I haven't seen that part of it!! Was it updated recently?

Hmm. The MGM Park looks interesting. I wonder if MGM will add attractions and rides based off Tristar and Combiua picture films, since they are all owned by Sony.

The MGM version of Oz is out of the picture, since half of the MGM is a part of Warner Brothers. A Pink Panther dark ride should be interesting.

• hatbox ghost believer

Wink Re: 7/24: A Spin Around Asia

What a wonderful update! The new TOT at TDL looks amazing. Thanks!

Regardsarama,

Jon
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

Hey Alain,

Thanks for plugging my site! I was surprised when I read it but pleasantly happy!

JoeInJpn

• Walt A Head Of His Time!

Two thoughts on the Spin Around Asia. One on Disney Sea and the other on the author!

1. Wow! The Japanese know how to run a park! It is strange to think that they are being more Disney like than Disney! However, I think they have gotten so good at immulating the Disney Formula and following it so well that they have begun to pull some of the magic out and replace it with an almost religious like cult following. Hey, I guess history does repeat itself Japan feels like Disney once did. However, I think the Japanese parks will remain the best Disney parks in the world for one big reason. The Japanese respect them and treasure them as a society and look what that society gets in return! Friggen over the top rides, parks and shows!That new water show is incredible, WOW!

2. Does anyone else think that Alain's articles are nothing more than someone looking at a picture and adding a few words? "Geez bet that new parade probably cost a lot?" Really, Allain! "Look at those new Autopia cars" Alain, are they electric or gas, are they quiet or noisy, is the track longer than Disneyland? Information is what makes Al's and Kevin's articles so good they don't even need pictures to make their articles work. Pictures are worth a 1000 words yes, but tell us more, give us some information instead of captions for pictures. The longest part of your article is usually the book promo! Come on Alain let's stop selling books and start researching articles!

The opinions expressed here are my own!

Quote Originally Posted by XSub-Captain
    Two thoughts on the Spin Around Asia. One on Disney Sea and the other on the author!

2. Does anyone else think that Alain's articles are nothing more than someone looking at a picture and adding a few words? "Geez bet that new parade probably cost a lot?" Really, Allain! "Look at those new Autopia cars" Alain, are they electric or gas, are they quiet or noisy, is the track longer than Disneyland? Information is what makes Al's and Kevin's articles so good they don't even need pictures to make their articles work. Pictures are worth a 1000 words yes, but tell us more, give us some information instead of captions for pictures. The longest part of your article is usually the book promo! Come on Alain let's stop selling books and start researching articles!

The opinions expressed here are my own!

Hello Alain, here. dear X-Sub captain, you're critic is not totally wrong. However, it's always hard to speak about something you didn't experience yourself, and i'm living in Paris, not in Hong kong....( Al is living in L.A, and Kevin in Orlando and they can experience anything new by themselves ) But i always try the best to give an update as soon as there is something new, and try to find great photos or renderings, which, i think, is better than nothing. The other thing, and this one you were not ,of course, aware about it, is that i've been pretty sick the last 6 weeks, and really, really tired. But because i know that miceage readers are expecting my articles, i've tried to give to Al, some new update to put online. May be the text is a little bit less deeper than before, but i just try my best with the ( little ) energy i had since one month and a half. I finally will be able to get some vacation in the next 4 weeks, but before i go, i will have provide Al some good update about some theme parks you never heard before, and i'll hope you'll enjoy them!

• there's always my way...

I never been to asia but i like chiken beef brok!
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.