Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: 8/1: Why? & Who?

Thanks Al great update.
    It's sad that Mr. Rasulo has let down one of (what is and was)Disney's best. Matt Ouimet will be missed. But from the info that's out there online, Grier looks good from what he has done with Tokyo.
    Can't wait to see the Subs finally finshed.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The most interesting -- and telling -- tidbits that Al alluded to were the reasons why Matt left.

No matter how it's spun, understand that Matt wielded considerable power, that he had Bob Iger's attention and that he coveted (like anyone in his shoes would) Al Weiss' old job and Jay Rasulo's current one.

Also, understand Matt had a strong personality and wasn't going to back down on issues important to him like quality.

No, he wasn't 'forced out' perse, like when Cynthia was fired. But it was made clear that he wasn't going to get a chance to advance and Rasulo did set the new management structure in place to largely neuter Ouimet.

The execs at WDW were snipped long ago. Matt saw the proverbial writing on the walls and found a great job, one much higher-paying.

As to the other info., don't put much stock into Ed Grier's role at TDL and read into it that DL is suddenly going to be brought up to Tokyo standards. Not happening. It was largely a 'managing the brand' and dealing with the OLC position. His years in operations at DIsney-MGM Studios and Epcot saw both parks take noticeable dives in quality.

The princess deal isn't a surprise. Just visit WDW's World of Disney to see what they want to try out at DL. And, no, it won't be pretty (just don't tell wittle Britney that!).

And as to the embarrassment that is the Year of a Million Churros, well, it's as bad as it sounds.

What you didn't read in Al's report was more interesting than what you did: namely the bloodletting that's coming to WDI and just what will be happenning to DCA.

Developments to follow ... you can be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    The year of a million churros is so revoltingly dumb. I also wondered about the fireworks tho, I thought there was going to be an all new show after October. How special is the 50th stuff if it goes on for years and years after the 50th is over?? (Think: 45th anniversary parade that went on for 4 freaking years).
    You just answered your own question.

That's how Disney does business these days. Advertise 'special new' entertainment for a celebration and then keep it around forever with a PR hack telling the local newsrag 'it's due to popular requests by guests' ...
    just thank God (or Mel Gibson) that you don't live in Florida and have a giant wand and hat that won't go away to go with a 105 Years of Magic and Counting Parade!

• Everyone neat and pretty?

Great update, Al. I am not sure though that I am going to be too excited about the Dreams...... campaign. It seems that so many of us never see any of that "Magic" that the park promotes during these periods. As a AP it seems that the freebees are always offered to the tourists that are standing right next to me!
    Also what will I do if he can't see Snow White on my visit's?! Will I too be required to submit to a Princess makeover in order to say Hi! to Snow and Cindy? Now that'll be a picture! LOL! Sayin Hi to Mickey is awesome but the conversations are kinda one sided.
    "Some of us prefer illusion to despair!" ~ Nelson Muntz of The Simpsons when being teased for liking Snow White and being told that she was just an actress.

Lastly, there are the nagging rumors about Orange County's infamous look-at-me lifestyle not being appreciated by Matt, his wife, or his teenage children. They'll be keeping their mid-range home in pricey Coto de Caza as an investment property, but since Mrs. Ouimet never clicked with the Botox-ed desperate housewives in the neighborhood and the Ouimet kids don't surf or party like the locals, they won't mind one bit the move back to their less trendy, new East Coast neighborhood
    come on, are you kidding me? i have several friends from coto and the like, and none of them are the surfer/partier type, and none of their moms have had botox. Good people are easier to find than you think.

Don't stereotype.
    hi

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

I also wondered about the fireworks tho, I thought there was going to be an all new show after October. How special is the 50th stuff if it goes on for years and years after the 50th is over?? (Think: 45th anniversary parade that went on for 4 freaking years).
    Take out Julie Andrews' mentioning of the 50th and it's fixed IMO. The parade of the 45th Anniversary is nothing compared to the Remember...Dreams Come True fireworks. Just the beginning and ending does it mention the anniversary. Tweak those a little and it could be as good as new. At least to me, this show is to celebrate the great attractions in Disneyland. What's wrong with continuing that, especially when it's so damn popular?

• What have I done?

Grier sounds like he has great potential, I wish Matt well at Starwood!

DCA Placemaking... End of the decade OMG I hope it is worth it I cant wait!

"Golden Screams" Sounds awesome and I highly suggest they deck DCA out in Halloween theme! Scary can be fun too!

Gay Days Havent been in forever wish I could attend but I work Knotts Scary Farm! If anyone goes let me know how it is, especially would love to attend the parties at the resort sounds like soem major fun times!

USH: Robotic and Confusing! What does a giant robo arm have to do with "Tokyo Drifting", hmmm? Ah well, good ole' DOSH.

Fun update, thanks Al been waitin for that and the rest of L2's shenanigans.

"This guy!"

• Banned User

Al's snide comments on what's coming to the Fantasyland theater, dripping with contempt, really expose him for the bitter single man he is.

Most families with kids will embrace the new concepts coming to the theater and it will be a dream come true for little girls. My daughter will love it.

It's real easy for single folks who consider kids an inconvenience to wish less of the park was dedicated to kids and more to them, but that's not what Walt Disney had in mind. And Walt had no problem sucking money out of his customers--he was a damn wealthy man. So, I don't think he would have a problem with these dress-up areas and boutiques. The kids whose parents can afford this will love it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The Goddess Mara
    Al's snide comments on what's coming to the Fantasyland theater, dripping with contempt, really expose him for the bitter single man he is.

Most families with kids will embrace the new concepts coming to the theater and it will be a dream come true for little girls. My daughter will love it.

It's real easy for single folks who consider kids an inconvenience to wish less of the park was dedicated to kids and more to them, but that's not what Walt Disney had in mind. And Walt had no problem sucking money out of his customers--he was a damn wealthy man. So, I don't think he would have a problem with these dress-up areas and boutiques. The kids whose parents can afford this will love it.
    Yep, Walt was all about dress up areas, boutiques, and having experiences that can only be done by wealthier families. Describes Walt's Disneyland perfectly.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Yep, Walt was all about dress up areas, boutiques, and having experiences that can only be done by wealthier families. Describes Walt's Disneyland perfectly.
    No kidding.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    You just answered your own question.

That's how Disney does business these days. Advertise 'special new' entertainment for a celebration and then keep it around forever with a PR hack telling the local newsrag 'it's due to popular requests by guests' ...
    just thank God (or Mel Gibson) that you don't live in Florida and have a giant wand and hat that won't go away to go with a 105 Years of Magic and Counting Parade!
    Disneyland's fireworks show would seem to be a special circumstance, though, since they're using up the park's earned credits with the California Air Quality Board and credits the park received mainly because we haven't seen the smelly exhaust of the Subs in quite a few years. That credit shall dwindle if they keep running the show. Then there's the whole crowd logistics, but they seem content just to accept a massive throng filling the hub each night.

Perhaps you should leave this kind of commentary to people who actually remember Walt's Disneyland. Do the little kids dressed as Crockett come to mind? I seem to remember some Zorro stuff, but not the full uniform like the Crockett outfits.

And "experiences that can only be done by wealthier families?" Tickets. Enough said.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626
    What's wrong with continuing that, especially when it's so damn popular?
    I agree, Julie could be taken out (actually she wouldn't have to be.... she says "OVER fifty years ago", so technically they could have this "closed for winds at high altitudes" show for the rest of Disneyland's existence...)

I completely love the show, I do. I was in tears the first time I saw it. (Come to mention it, the Julie narration is one of the major highlights for me, it wouldn't be as special without her). But what's the point of "ending" the 50th anniversary stuff when it will, in reality, continue indefinitely? That whole "I was there for all the cool special stuff Disneyland did for its 50th celebration" feeling is gone.

Plus the show is highly problematic with having to be in certain areas to see it properly, not to mention the repeated cancellations -- I was actually looking forward to a semi-normal fireworks show in the park again. Remember when fireworks used to be cancelled only when it was WINDY or RAINY? I do.

I'm a big fan of rotating shows, like Tokyo does. Keep it fresh.

Why come back next summer for the same fireworks show/parade you saw last summer? And the summer before that? Isn't Disney somewhat worried in the drop in attendance that is going to happen after the 50th stuff is... errr... "over"?

Quote Originally Posted by The Goddess Mara
    I'm not a big fan of the build-a-whore stores either (Club Libby Liu). I'm glad the Princess thing dresses your child less "tart-y", from the pictures I've seen.

I think Al was commenting more that he thinks it's a bit of a ripoff and/or a lame idea. If your child likes that sort of thing and you enjoy shelling out the money, more power to you, have fun. Disagree with his opinion. But you're stooping pretty low to call someone a "bitter single man", like having children or a husband somehow justifies a person's existence.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

When we did this in WDW in April, the cost of going to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique was peanuts compared to the cost of the vacation. The BBB was $35 (although the optional dress was $65). And DLR already has something just like this -- it's called Club Libby Lu.

I bet 98% of the people who can afford to go to Disneyland can afford to participate in the Princess stuff. (And the meet-and-greet is free.)

JULIE
    This is my signature.

I'm not a big fan of the build-a-whore stores either (Club Libby Liu). I'm glad the Princess thing dresses your child less "tart-y", from the pictures I've seen.
    Well, my daughter walked around all day beaming proudly, very happy with her new look! She went around telling people "This isn't my real hair!". It was one of the highlights of our trip and she looks adorable in all the pictures we took that day. So what if I spent $35 on that? Am I wealthy? I didn't think it was a rip off or lame. And I've seen that Snow White show a few times and think this is a way better idea.

While I'm not going to call Al names, since I don't know him!, I am wondering what people with little girls think of this. It seems like all the negative comments are from childless people?

JULIE
    This is my signature.

• You Spin Me Right Round

who knows what walt would have wanted??? Any of you know him or talk to him on a regular basis??

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast