Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• You Spin Me Right Round

Re: 8/1: Why? & Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    I'm not a big fan of the build-a-whore stores
    What a rude way to put it! I am sure there are hundreds of parents out there that would disagree with that.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by DLDCALVR
    What a rude way to put it! I am sure there are hundreds of parents out there that would disagree with that.
    That's pretty much the nickname that's been circulating around since the place opened. I'm sure a lot of people love the place, otherwise it wouldn't be in business. Girls love playing "dress up", yadda yadda.

But I still think it's wierd to dress a little girl up like JonBenet Ramsey, a drag queen, or someone you'd see standing on a street corner in Hollywood.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    I'm not a big fan of the build-a-whore stores either (Club Libby Liu). I'm glad the Princess thing dresses your child less "tart-y", from the pictures I've seen.
    HA! "Build-A-Whore". That's my favorite line of the week. Thank you!

I've sat there at the Uva Bar watching the little girls coming from Libby Lu, and for the most part they look like harlots. I'm amazed that their parents allow them to be tarted up in public like that, as if the Christina Aguilera streetwalker look is appropriate on a 9 year old. Are these mothers insane?

But it's not just Disney. Have you seen the "Dance Academies" that peform at the Plaza Gardens Stage? They get these 7 to 15 year old girls, cover them in skintight spandex, sequins and prostitute makeup and then parade them around on stage doing these modified bump and grind routines to trashy pop music. It's like a Junior Pole Dancer Finishing School or something, and yet these parents sit there videotaping the entire spectacle as if its totally normal for an 11 year old girl to look like that in public doing the Dirty Dog to a Madonna number.

There's something gone terribly wrong with society, and the harlotization (That's a new word I just made up) of too many little girls is now creeping into Disneyland. Scary stuff.

• What have I done?

While I am not a fan of the whole Princess over saturation at the DLR as has happened in WDW. I am sure the girls and parents will be flocking to the BBB. I remember vividly when my neice dressed up as Snow White to go to our character lunch greet. It was cute and is worht it for that one "photo". I am however intrigued by the Prince version, I have never heard of such a thing and the Jedi Training academy. Oh to be a kid again!

However I do not think Al's remark was rude nor filled with contempt for children. I do think he is looking further into the future and seeing what all lies ahead.

"This guy!"

• Senior Minion

Well, I think the continuation of the fireworks show and the parade was inevitable--when you consider the money and development that was sunk into them, I doubt they ever had the intention of using it for 18 months and then scrapping it completely.

I bet the fireworks return to weekends only during off-seasons, though, so that'll help build the clean air credits back up. Plus, they're using that air launch system now. And I'd take nearly anything over the old Parade of the Pointless Stars. I suspect we're going to see both of them probably for another three or four years. I'm sure TDA's logic is "they're still packing them in, why get rid of them?"

It is indeed a shame that Matt Ouimet left, given what had been done, and what was still left to do. To put Al Weiss in charge of so much, given the current state of affairs at WDW, seems to be a case of pretzel logic. Perhaps, one day, WDC will see the error of its ways and find a way to bring him back.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieNMM
    I am wondering what people with little girls think of this. It seems like all the negative comments are from childless people?
    I have a pre-teen girl, and I think the BBB is pretty lame. Nothing original there, it's a hand me down from the NYC WOD store and WDW. I would much rather they have used the space to put on a new and improved show of some kind.

Frankly I think even the meet and greet idea is horrible. When I was a child, spotting a character and meeting them was a HUGE event... because it was rare. Now, if you trot your brood over to the castle and hang out on the walkways, you're guaranteed to see every princess and most of the princes. Having regular, scheduled meet and greet's has cheepened the experience IMO.

Libby Lou is.... okay. I like the hair do's they do. During the one and only "makeover" I've allowed my daughter to have, I did have to tell them NO MAKEUP about 10000 times during the process (glitter, sure, make up on my 10 year old, hell no). There is not a single piece of clothing in the store I would allow my daughter to wear. I'm okay with the purfume, and the glitter hair spray. The room decorations are cute. But the sheer amound of make-up being sold in that store (which is supposed to be geared for 8-12 y.o. girls) is disgusting.

Oh, and I think the PC term nowadays is "childfree" not "childless".

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole
    Oh, and I think the PC term nowadays is "childfree" not "childless".
    Sorry. I'm not in touch with the PC terms since all my time is taken up being child-broke. (Is that the right term?)
    This is my signature.

Thumbs up Re: 8/1: Why? & Who?

I'm thinking that although the Bibbidi-Bobbidi makeover may be a logistics nightmare and a brazen ploy for cash- little girls are pretty much gonna love it. My 5 year old niece does the whole Princess makeover thing all the time and to have it formalized at DLR would basically make her year. I really kinda root for anything the makes the DLR experience more personal for the individual. Ya know... that whole "magical" thing? (p.s. this is my first post EVER!)
    "Fate is kind. She brings to those who love- the sweet fulfillment of their secret longing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jaodiz
    I'm thinking that although the Bibbidi-Bobbidi makeover may be a logistics nightmare and a brazen ploy for cash- little girls are pretty much gonna love it. My 5 year old niece does the whole Princess makeover thing all the time and to have it formalized at DLR would basically make her year. I really kinda root for anything the makes the DLR experience more personal for the individual. Ya know... that whole "magical" thing? (p.s. this is my first post EVER!)
    Hear! Hear!

And welcome to MiceChat!!!
    This is my signature.

• The one, the only...

I think that in keeping the parade and fireworks the same, Disney is really missing a great opportunity.

I know that many families especially made the trip to Disneyland this last year to catch the 50th. I am sure that it brought back many fond memories. When people have a good experience, they naturally want to repeat it. All they need is an excuse. If Disney were smart, they would have made a little extra special effort to make this year different, with a new parade or fireworks show. That might have enticed families to make the trip again to enjoy Disneyland. But when you keep it the same, it takes away incentives, because "We've already seen that" is the response by reluctant parents.

As to the dress up time, I don't mind kids having fun. I do have one thought. When Disney adds these "extra" expense experiences it really does hurt the struggling families who don't have the extra $35 each to make every daughter a "princess" for the day. I know that some kids will enjoy it, but I feel for the parent that is going to have to explain to their child that they cannot afford it.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    As to the dress up time, I don't mind kids having fun. I do have one thought. When Disney adds these "extra" expense experiences it really does hurt the struggling families who don't have the extra $35 each to make every daughter a "princess" for the day. I know that some kids will enjoy it, but I feel for the parent that is going to have to explain to their child that they cannot afford it.
    But it's no different than having to explain to your kids why they can't afford anything else they see around them, such as a plush Mickey, Golden Ears, a Star Wars light saber, etc.

JULIE
    This is my signature.

• Look.....at......me!

Having kids dress up like princesses is a lot different than Jon Bonet who was being tarted up and then trotted out in front of people to be judged on her beauty. The princess thing is just for fun for the kids, so they can feel like a princess for a day. I think that's a perfectly acceptable thing to do when you are at Disneyland...what better way to make a little girls day seem magical? Child beauty pageants, on the other hand, are obscene. They little girls in those pageants are dressed/made up to look like whores and then paraded out in front of a bunch of adults and given a score on how they look...sick really.

Are we calling Snow White a whore now? They're dressing them like Princesses, not Cher. Big difference. And the Snow White show was aimed at the same group this new meet'n'greet is being aimed at, it makes sense that they're replacing the show with something that targets the same audience.

• ...TWO BITS!

Sad to see Matt go. I'm sure Ed will do good deeds in DLR.

Would there have been enough room for "Disney Princess Fantasy Faire/ Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique" to be set in the cottage that used to be Fantasyland Skyway?? Just curious.

I'm incredibly disappointed with "Disney Princess Fantasy Faire". I thought it was going to be a musical revue with Disney Princesses and their respective songs. Like the article said, it's just a full blown version of what they have in WDW & World of Disney store in NY. UGH! A smaller version of this would be fine at the resort, but taking up a whole theater that played an underwhelming show?? Hopefully this will disappear and make way for a new show when the Dreams campaign ends.

Not to mention I'm still disappointed with Year of a Million Dreams. Yet I'm still okay with the free stuff, other than that, seems pointless.

I'm okay with Remember & Parade staying. It takes time & money to make new fireworks & parades every year. Sooner or later they're gonna run out of ideas. So I'm glad that they're "pacing" themselves. I'm sure Disney's fireworks & parade concerns will be focused elsewhere- they got plenty to worry about.

Glad Tomorrowland Terrance is coming back. I'm not as disappointed with Jedi Training Academy as I am with Disney Princess. Probably cause a whole theater is being converted to a meet-n-greet with beauty palor (and you gotta spend extra money!)... *sigh*

So they're gonna bring back a Halloween version of Woody's Roundup... hmmm. I'm okay with the Halloween fireworks not happening this year, I will expect one next year. About Golden Screams- I'm a bit iffy on that. But at least they're trying something out with it instead of leaving it as Golden Dreams.

Concerning Universal: I pretty much agree with everything he said about the new updates (especially about F&F). He didn't mention how Universal ORIGINALLY HAD the cars set-up like that before F&F. I'm glad they returned it, instead of seeing fake wood. The Shrek band has been there for awhile. THere are other bands elsewhere that play- I guess they're trying to bring in some atmosphere to the park?? The Kong miniature is all right. They do have fog, when it works. Didn't know if they had a Kong roar, that would be good. I'm also disappointed they just skip the parting of the red sea! At first, I thought it was just a technical rehearsal... but no, they just completely ignore its parting. Why can't they have both??

If you wanna check out the F&F, lots of videos have been uploaded in youtube. Personally, great location for a new stop, bad show. At least I know now USH had something else in mind but DOSH interrupted. I would have used the robocoaster arms & coaster track where Coke Soak is and still theme it as F&F. Think about it, a robocoaster nearly dangling over a cliff!! With the current F&F show stop, I'd probably put a car on a track system, it spins its wheels and make smoke, it goes out of control & crashes into a blaze, a chain reaction happens, etc.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Make it Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JulieNMM
    Sorry. I'm not in touch with the PC terms since all my time is taken up being child-broke. (Is that the right term?)
    How bitter does THAT sound?

I know a LOT more bitter parents than bitter single people.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast